All The Fun Of The Fear: Circus World

By Adam Smith on September 21st, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

The horn is glued to his face every morning

I think Circus World is trying to be a bit like Theme Park, except with alcoholic clowns and depressed animals instead of joy. The trailer makes the entire circus look smaller than a reasonably sized back garden, with four or five vagrants rounded up and forced to attend and applaud wildly lest a sad-eyed harlequin eats them. An elephant teeters, balanced on a wheel in a tiny ring as onlookers gasp in terror and amazement. The inevitability of a dead family being scraped from beneath his fallen flank is already evident in the tears that roll down the imprisoned pachyderm’s wise cheek. A corpse is fired from a cannon. The circus does not care. The circus is a caravan of dreams. Available now, trailer below.

Buy low, sell high, drop a few ATMs around the place and hire the most popular acts. It all seems fairly simple, it’s just that these kind of management games don’t usually go with the whole survival horror vibe. Funny thing is, when I first watched the video, I could have sworn the circus was travelling across mainland Europe. But now…?

Don’t watch it a second time I implore you. It changes. It adapts. It watches you.

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes. I have seventy two hours to put my affairs in order and then they’ll paint my face, break my bones and squeeze my rag doll body into a miniature car, ready to spill out into the dirt of whatever city we haunt next.

Circus World is available now for £24.98.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. AlwaysRight says:

Oh my god, what an utterly terrifying game.

“Kingston upon Hull”

*shudders*

2. lordcooper says:

CLOWNFACE

3. DJ Madeira says:

How awesome would an actual management game be with a horror theme? Someone needs to make this game.

4. hemmingjay says:

………..errrrr…………..ummmmmmm…………………really?

5. PopeJamal says:

“An elephant teeters, balanced on a wheel in a tiny ring as onlookers gasp in terror and amazement. The inevitability of a dead family being scraped from beneath his fallen flank is already evident in the tears that roll down the imprisoned pachyderm’s wise cheek.”

*Applause*

6. yoggesothothe says:

How is the clown holding up that vuvuzela thingy with no hands!?

• JFS says:

The circus does not care.

• yoggesothothe says:

Honestly though, I’m kind of wondering why this game is getting coverage on RPS. Not that it specifically shouldn’t or anything, it’s just… is it so we can all mock it? That’s kind of how it seems to be presented. Again, not criticizing editorial choices, just curious if there’s something more to the game or something I’m not seeing.

• Keymonk says:

If I recall correctly, it’s because Excalibur tends to make some rather broken simulation games which also tend to be featured on RPS in brief diaries, which, well, end up invariably hilarious because of the way the games’ physics and systems are usually utterly broken.

For the same reason, they tend to get made fun of.

• BestFriends4Ever says:

ain’t a thing wrong with mocking, son.

7. tumbleworld says:

Oh my Gods. It’s horrible.

8. Vander says:

“I think Circus World is trying to be a bit like Theme Park, except with alcoholic clowns and depressed animals instead of joy.”

Realist game then….

9. slerbal says:

The video activated my incredulity mode:
    Horrifying – sliders do not equal game play. Also the clowns are sad as f*ck. Is it just me or does it look like there is very little in that game and that it was made in the 90s? :)

I’ve probably upset the clown gods now…

• zbeeblebrox says:

THRILL as you check the week’s weather reports! GASP as you increment ticket sales based on fluctuations in demand! CRY as you find yourself surrounded by clowns with no hope of escape!

10. ElvisNeedsBoats says:

Say what you will, I think Jeremy Soule outdid himself with the soundtrack for this game.

11. Dr. Clockwork says:

Notice the demonic carousel at 0:17, whose horses move on their own.

12. Kaje says:

£24.98?

I pre-ordered XCOM for £22….

13. BathroomCitizen says:

Colours! When was the last time I saw them in a videogame?

14. SpiderLoot says:

This is like my dream game. And by dream, I mean the ones where you wake up in a collection of your own excrement.

15. Alphadrop says:

Ah, from the same people who brought you Street Sweeper Simulator and Camping Manager 2012. Yea about the same level of quality as most of their stuff.

16. pilouuuu says:

This reminds of Fiendish Freddy’s Big Top o’ Fun on the Amiga which was kind of fun, although had almost no gameplay.

I always wonder why they don’t make an expansion pack like this for The Sims 3 instead of remaking the same stuff over and over again. A circus and a zoo would be great.

Well, I can’t comment about this game, except that I think I’m going to have a nightmare this night after watching the trailer, but it’s great that someone is making a game about such a fun topic!

17. dethtoll says:

I’m just waiting for the MAD SKILL NO SCOPE HORN SHOT vid.

18. amishmonster says:

Are there actually people that DON’T find the circus deeply unnerving?

Comment on this story