Carrier Command Trailer Sounds Orchestral Klaxon

By Jim Rossignol on September 21st, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

The release of the Carrier Command remake from Bohemia is almost upon us! (September 27th!) That means last-minute fancy trailers showing the game’s mix of strategy and action are now inevitable, as you can see below. I’ve played a bunch of this already, and I am keen to get my hands on the finished thing and really get stuck in. While being somewhat nostalgic, this is something of a departure for Bohemia, with them making a game that seems to put spectacle before action, while at the same time delivering strategic depth and tough tactical challenges. It’s going to be an interesting balancing act: keeping Bohemia’s wish to be faithful to the original 1980s game with modern spangles.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Artist says:

Ive pre-ordered. And my bet is that they failed to adress the lacking AI from the beta properly! =)
    Still looking forward for this!

2. Artist says:

Oh, and Jim: This is not made by Bohemia Bohemia – its a different group, so I dont think “something of a departure for Bohemia” fits.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Oh, I know. It’s the team that was Black Element http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Element_Software, but Marek is still overseeing the project, and Carrier Command as a project is his baby. I’ve got an interview about it somewhere that I never found time to transcribe.

• slerbal says:

Aye, and at 0:15 they do say “From the creators of Arma” (and it is all being marketed as by BIS no matter which team made it) so I agree with you Jim that it can be seen as a bit of a departure – one they are specifically drawing attention to.

3. sundhine says:

“These are hostile waters…” No? *sigh* A guy can dream…

• Ironclad says:

That’s the issue I have with this. I very much doubt it has the writing and character awesomeness of Antaeus Rising. If I play this I’ll constantly be looking for Ransom, Madsen, Patton, Lazare, etc…

And they won’t be there.

Your own vessel, tested to her limits, cracks apart now, her revenant task done. The ship’s Creation Engine drops through steely fathoms to grateful rest. The two live machines, still suffused with the energy of making, lie together.

And here, in the dark, something changes. The engines move closer. There is the bright, and awful spark of creation in the ocean night, terrible fire, and motion in the deep.

These are hostile waters…

shudders

• eldwl says:

It took some digging, but I’ve just found my Hostile Waters disc! That’s my evening gone…

• Werthead says:

Interesting, as whenever I replay HOSTILE WATERS, whilst having to acknowledge its brilliance, the fact you can’t move the carrier and the carrier doesn’t have more of its own armaments as in the original CARRIER COMMAND remains vaguely grating (and of course, HOSTILE WATERS was very heavily inspired and influenced by the original CARRIER COMMAND).

Of course, the characters in HOSTILE WATERS were vastly superior (which isn’t hard, as CARRIER COMMAND didn’t have any characters at all :) ). And the UI was brilliant. I’m hoping the new CARRIER COMMAND can be in the same league.

• Yargh says:

There is no question that what made Hostile Waters so great was the fantastic voicework.
      It is a real shame that the planned Carrier persona didn’t make it into the game as well.

4. slerbal says:

I love Arma, want to get this and I probably will, though the lack of multiplayer/co-op really does feel like a missed opportunity.

• DuddBudda says:

I haven’t paid much attention to this, but I saw something about the campaign structure and just assumed that it would be translated into some large scale Dota-esque confliction
      shame

5. DuddBudda says:

Conquer the Archipelago!

seriously?

6. Stevostin says:

I don’t get how Arma III can look so stunning and this one look so 2008. Design’s dull, that’s one thing, but the 3D is also very dated with the flat textures, the short line of sight and the cheap FXs.

7. JBantha says:

The love of my life’s birthday is September 27th, so I’ll just sit here looking depressive.

8. karazjo says:

what was that game from 90s that allowed you to control all your planes, tanks and choppers from first person perspective? I remember your base was a floating cube with antennas and you were hardwired to it… This game made me remember it after 15 years…

• Dominic White says:

Actually, Carrier Command was from the 80s. But otherwise you’re remembering it right.

Having played an early beta of this, I can say that it’s a shockingly accurate update. They’ve fleshed out some stuff, like the combat engine and attaching distinct missions to capture islands, but otherwise, this is still Carrier Command.

9. BathroomCitizen says:

I wish there were more of these kind of games.

It’s a bit of a shame there isn’t any kind of multiplayer! I think it would have fitted the gameplay without being a tacked-on afterthought.

10. Gasmask Hero says:

Carrier Command.

Really?

If they’re going to do a remake from the late 80′s/early 90′swhy not focus on something more worthwhile, like either of the Midwinters?

• Prime says:

Oh shush, you, grumpy-pants. Yes, really. Carrier Command is as beloved and just as worthwhile a remake as either of the Midwinter games. Hurrah!

• Werthead says:

That would be interesting, but I’m not sure how you’d avoid turning it into a first-person shooter (as a publisher would no doubt prefer) or an adventure game. Definitely sounds like a Kickstarter candidate though.

CARRIER COMMAND, however, is easily just as well-remembered as the MIDWINTER games, if not moreso. It’s already had one tribute game already (HOSTILE WATERS) to testify to that.

11. rockman29 says:

OMG there HAS to be a mod for this game to play Red Alert, imagine taking over a Mammoth Tank or Tesla Tower or Missile Sub!!!!