Jungle Diva: Far Cry 3

By Adam Smith on September 21st, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

Far Cry 3 continues to have trailers full of enjoyable activities, like shark-punching and diving out of jeeps just as they explode. It also continues to have trailers with voiceovers that say very silly things. Example: “His privateer army can do a lot more than walk and chew gum at the same time. They’ve been trained to kill!” Most armies are like the Terminator under the control of a Furlong on the cusp of puberty, of course, explicitly commanded not to kill under any circumstances. “This is the jungle. It gets under your skin. Your blood makes it grow.” I guess that probably might be true. Hear those lines and more below.

Because it reminds me more of a certain other series every time I see footage, I propose a name change to Just Cry 3. I don’t expect that’ll catch on.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Scouter says:

Is that day 1 DLC at the near end of the video? Not a good sign…

2. Network Crayon says:

I swear i’ll be amazed if this turns out to be a good game… maybe it’s just the marketing but it looks awful.

• Utnac says:

If it’s anything like FC2 it’ll be shit, some good ideas (really good ideas) with poor or average implementation and just abandoned once it launched, the game was a few decent patches away from brilliance IMO but they couldn’t even be bothered with that.

3. Pathetic Phallacy says:

Remember when FarCry was PC exclusive and when it came out it made your fucking jaw drop.

I miss you, ol’ days.

• sinister agent says:

Sigh. Far Cry 2 looked great on the funsquares. A game with good art direction doesn’t have to wave its hardware cock in your face to look impressive.

• Dragon Master says:

But I like hardware cock being waved in my face in trailers.
        Wait…that came out wrong.

4. Bostec says:

This don’t look too good, infact I let out such a huge sign of boredom and mediocre that even the missus shouted out a “FINE i’ll stop talking then shall I’ll?” if only eh?

• Chopper says:

I like your style, Bostec

• Richard Beer says:

Agreed. I was quite looking forward to this (having been a huge fan of both previous incarnations), but if sliding towards the enemy on your butt is a valid combat tactic, I’m not sure it’s quite what I was hoping for.

5. abandonhope says:

You want to survive? Then follow this rule: you will have to break all the rules.

• Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

If the rule is to break all the rules, are you breaking the rules by not breaking any rules? My head hurts . . .

• SuperNashwanPower says:

The double binds of warfare.

Right now – be spontaneous

• Pindie says:

Knowing how military operates there is probably a handbook somewhere called “Improvised maneuvers: step-by-step”. With flow charts.

• noclip says:

“Not just any army, but an army that’s been trained to kill.”

Whoa.

6. bitbot says:

Guy on the video thumbnail looks like he broke his wrist.

• richard says:

Close. Darth Maul broke his wrist then shoved a light saber in his eye.

7. sinister agent says:

I need to know more about this walking and chewing gum thing. Is that included? It sounds complicated.

• Llewyn says:

Walking and gum chewing are retailer exclusive pre-order DLCs. From separate retailers, obviously, to avoid confusing gamers who might otherwise try to use both at once.

• tobecooper says:

I came here to explain it to ya and chew bubblegum, but I’m all out of gum, so I ain’t gonna.

• maninahat says:

I’d like to think that with enough gum, even the most hardened mercenary will leave you alone.

8. caddyB says:

Far Cause

9. ZX k1cka55 48K says:

Far cry 2 sucked balls, this one doesn’t look much better…

10. SuperNashwanPower says:

Dunno what everyone is moaning about. I thought it looked awesome – open, punchy combat, christ even USEFUL hang gliding and parachuting. The gunplay felt like Crysis 1 (Note: A Good Thing, as opposed to ‘not a good thing’)

• Njordsk says:

Agreed, this makes me excited to get far cry back in paradisiac island.

11. Gwilym says:

If RPS manage to do another interview about this game, please ask what, if anything, is the connection between the game’s writers and the game’s trailers. The writing for the game has been hyped up quite a bit (including by RPS writers), but what we keep hearing in these trailers is just terrible, and terrible in a way that doesn’t necessarily preclude it being lifted from the game itself.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Agent Huntley does sound like a bit of a douche. But then he also sounds suspiciously like the Jackal too. Same voice actor? OR IS THE REAL AGENT HUNTLEY DEAD

12. diebroken says:

peenuoz165 says: At first I thought the trailers were crappy, but they have consistently started to impress me lately. I can’t wait to play it.

SuperNashwanPower says: … At first I thought the trailers were crappy, but they have consistently started to impress me lately. I can’t wait to play it.

I can just feel the Ubi love, ’cause you know…

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Don’t include me in that matey, I’ve been a member here for ages. Maybe the guy just recognises excellent grammar and sentence construction and felt compelled to reproduce it

EDIT: LOL click the ‘youtube’ link he’s got. Go on.
      See how silly this all was?
      EDIT 2: Link is gone now. It was a bot link to an iPhone5 spam page, not youtube as it appeared to be.

• LukeNukem says:

The bots have started harvesting comments from a page, particularly one with a link, posting some or all of them as their own with a link that leads to a different page than the one it appears to be for.

13. haradaya says:

Being one of the seemingly few who holds Far Cry 2 up as a favorite all-time game. I must say I’m excited for this.

• Chopper says:

Far Cry 2 was a fantastic game, but there is a sizeable group who were absolutely unable to get past its flaws, for whatever reasons.

I’m not sure about 3 though; I hope it’ll build on 2 but am not convinced.

• haradaya says:

It was really all about being creative in that game. The fire physics were fun. The panic-stricken enemies as everything lit up. Hell I even saw a guy mask the sound of his sniper being shot with a mortar. Fired just as the mortar hit the ground. And it worked on the AI.

Your loadout radically changed the way you had to play to be successful. Do you want to clear everything from a distance with a sniper rifle? Or do you move in close with a shotgun after silently taking out the assault rifle carrying troops with a dart rifle? Or maybe just create chaos by setting fire and causing propane tanks and barrels to fly sky high, and charge them with an LMG? I just loved it.

It was very much one of those “create your own story” games in a sense. The game was linear, but the way you went about everything really wasn’t. You were given an objective, and then you choose how to go about completing it.

Lately it doesn’t seem like Far Cry 3 will stray “too much” from that, the first couple of trailers left me cold. I still have my doubts of course.

• haradaya says:

Oh yeah and they didn’t take sliding out. Easily one of the most fun things to do in a gunfight. Practical too when you needed to get behind something.

• Chaz says:

Aye, I really enjoyed Far Cry 2 as well, and this one looks like it’s also going to be really great fun too.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

When I watched the trailer through, the gun combat, the military equipment, the compounds, shooting out tyres, the scopes and weapons – all felt like Crysis 1′s as opposed to Far Cry 2. Its got gliders, which makes my inner child squee as it remembers crossing that ravine in Far Cry 1. SPEEDBOATS. There appeared to be a number of human enemy types, and in the history of these games humans were always the most fun to fight.

It looks open world and explorable, so TBH I think what people are getting hung up on is the terrible dialogue. This looks to me like a mash up of all the things that made those games good (with the exception of QTE events). One thing I loved about the early crysis games was the combat, so if that ends up being reproduced I will be happier than a small kitten with a ball of wool and some curtains to ruin.

Now just add in first person drivable APC’s and Tanks. Good lord.

• WHS says:

I genuinely enjoy Far Cry 2, but it’s almost painful to play, because the untapped potential in that game boggles the mind. What makes it most frustrating is that the missed opportunities have absolutely nothing to do with technical feasibility, but lack of vision.

Add a rudimentary faction system, take the neutral AI characters (which the game already has in droves!) from the center town and put them everywhere on the map, and add a modicum of persistence to the world, and suddenly you have an honest-to-god masterpiece on par with Deus Ex or something.

It’s just weird, really. They go to all the effort to create a beautiful, unique and disturbing game world. They add deep and satisfying combat system with some truly interesting features. They put in a pretty sophisticated system of AI buddies. But they don’t add the, like, three incredibly basic things that would make the game world feel alive and the game not a slog to play.

And making matters worse, modders could have done it in a week.

14. tomeoftom says:

God, what an embarrassing trailer.

15. Demiath says:

FC3 looks promising, but the whole “edgy” machismo makeover is such a disappointment compared to the somewhat sterile but earnest and subtly depressing atmosphere of FC2.

16. alilsneaky says:

Looks super boring and generic.
    Less wanabe popcorn movie, more videogame please.

17. MajorManiac says:

The action looks nice and crazy. I’m ok with that.

But the dialog was ridiculous. What happened, did the floor drop out from the lowest-common-denominator?