Stoking The Embers: Torchlight II Demo

By Adam Smith on September 21st, 2012 at 10:00 am.

I am a monocled engineer with a pet bulldog called Mr Kibbles. Eyebrows aside, the only hair on my head is an attractive piece of lip furniture that I call The Handlebars of +4 Roughhousing. Torchlight II really does seem like a pleasant way to click away the hours, as John excitedly reported yesterday. If you’re not convinced that this is the ARPG for you, or if you’re not convinced by ARPGs at all, you could always try the demo and see if your fancy is tickled. I’m not entirely sure how much content the demo includes but it shouldn’t take long to decide if the rest of the game is something you’re willing to invest in. Download it from Runic or on Steam.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Jason Moyer says:

The first thing on the TL2 website is a link to the demo. Does that require Steam?

2. Miltrivd says:

As someone that has been waiting for this game for the last 15 months, I just gotta say “try it”. Is not a breakthrough in the genre, is not there to blow minds, is just a fun, made with care game. It just feels right. Coming from an old (figuratively) original Diablo player.

I’m pretty sure you’ll love it or dismiss it in the first hour of gameplay. See if it’s made for you as much as it is made for me.

• Xari says:

Agreed, the game just feels really tight and simply fun to play. Some impressive production quality and combat responsiveness.

• Sheng-ji says:

Seconded (or thirded) couldn’t agree more! Even if you are put off by the graphics style, give it a chance to see if you can adapt to it, they are gorgeous and while yes, they are cell shaded in style, they are not childish or inappropriate and the animations are sublime, especially of your pets! I stayed on the pet selection screen for ages last night, just to watch them all!

• kirkbjerk says:

What is the hardware requirement like? I’ve got a business trip coming up in very short order and I’m curious what I can expect while trying to run this on a small laptop. Of course I can download the demo (and I will), just curious if any of the people who have it already have tried playing it on a less than optimal setup.

• Eskatos says:

Very low. You need a 1.4 Ghz or better processor, 1 GB RAM, 1.2 GB HD space, and a graphics card with at least 256 MB of memory.

3. Ergates_Antius says:

I’m a tousle haired engineer with a pet cat called Binky. I like candle-lit dinners, long walks on the beach and hitting things with a big axe that shoots out electricity. My cat likes fish.

• RaytraceRat says:

I’m a spiky haired outlander. I have a pet ferret called the Professor. I like long walks out in the land, and shooting things in the face. My ferret squeaks from time to time.

• squareking says:

I’m a sassy, white-haired Embermage who’s actually a minor goddess of fire and chaos but doesn’t realize it yet. Her begoggled ferret, Mise, either warbles or bites faces. 50/50 chance.

• Diving Duck says:

I’m an Engineer, a fiery haired lass known as McHatchett. My sidekick is a nimble ferret known as Bumf. Combined with my160dps spanner of spanking we will sweep the realm whomping owt that gets in our way.

Loving TL2 – bought with the proceeds from D3 auction house sales ;o)

4. Thermal Ions says:

What an interesting concept, releasing a demo for your game on release day. Anyone would think they’re actually proud of their game and interested in encouraging people to buy it. I wonder if this demo thing will catch on.

5. Groove says:

“or if you’re not convinced by ARPGs at all”

Unfortunately this is me =(

By almost all of the mechanics and concepts I should like them, I just get bored of them after about 3 hours. Usually I hate this because all my friends like them, but given all the games that are coming out soon/have just come out, I’m quite happy to not have to try and fit in time for Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 as well.

6. Vorphalack says:

”I am a monocled engineer with a pet bulldog called Mr Kibbles. Eyebrows aside, the only hair on my head is an attractive piece of lip furniture that I call The Handlebars of +4 Roughhousing.”

By some twist of fate we seem to have made the same character. All I need is a top hat, and a club that looks like a walking cane, and I shall feel complete.

• lowprices says:

You aren’t the only be-monocled engineer either. Going by how I normally play ARPGs the Outlander or Embermage would be more my style, but I couldn’t resist the lure of the monocle.

I have a panther, however, and her name is Minky. I forget why.

7. elfbarf says:

I’d probably be more interested in this had I not played both Diablo III and PoE within the last few months. I’m not entirely sure if I can handle another ARPG clickfest right now; especially considering that TL2 isn’t really anything new.

8. 1Life0Continues says:

The Engineer is a lot of fun to play, and has some nifty skill tree doodads to boot. Plus, there’s something satisfying about womping on Ratkin with a giant wrench. Pity said wrench becomes useless almost immediately. Hoping for a harder, faster, better wrench later on.

I was part of the beta and had serious reserves about the game back then. Thankfully, they tightened up almost everything, and that visceral feeling I got from the original Torchlight came flooding back.

Can’t wait for the mod tool release, and the modding scene to grow. It’s worth checking out, even if you’re not into ARPGs. I certainly am not, the Diablo series bored me to tears. But these games seem to have hit the right note for me, so maybe they’ll hit it with you too.

• MacTheGeek says:

In a few hours of playing last night, I came across a “harder, faster, better” wrench… but it was almost immediately outclassed by an even harderer and significantly betterer greathammer.

Now I’m on the lookout for an even more awesomerer wrench. Preferably one that inexplicably freezes things while setting them on fire.

9. RaytraceRat says:

Just finished the demo. I love the demo end screen. Looks like great game.

10. f1x says:

I think the Runic guys were pretty smart about delaying the release,

Today nobody remembers about Diablo3 (yeah, I know, some people do), the fever has passed and any comparisson will probably be now in favor of TL2, which is well deserved probably

Now, excuse me I have to try that demo

• Highstorm says:

On the other hand, where once I was pining day after day for T2, it’s taken so long to come out that I kind of lost my enthusiasm and decided not to buy it yet. Guild Wars 2 isn’t helping any.

11. MadTinkerer says:

To those who are still on the fence I have this to say: wait, why am I typing to you instead of playing the game? That makes no sense! Buy Torchlight 2 instead of typing comments on RPS! You will enjoy! And now back to the sweet, sweet game of giant hammers and awesome pet robots*.

*Disclaimer: non-Engineer classes may have other skills.

12. Eskatos says:

Jegus, is everyone playing an Engineer?

13. Fumarole says:

Anyone know if the demo save files carry over to the full game as was the case with the original?

14. briktal says:

I tried the demo and it felt like a game that would be pretty good about 5 years ago.

• whorhay says:

My only complaint has been that my main ability as an Embermage feels like it casts too slow. I’m on Veteran difficulty and need to kite sometimes. But the slow start up to the first fire spell often means I’ll die when attempting to kite. My Berserker though feels just right.

• chackosan says:

That is to say, it felt like a pretty good game? Nobbad.

15. jakeroth says:

Lack of being able to respec at will combined with the number of abilities tied to specific weapons makes this much more restrictive than anyone has mentioned in their reviews. By level six or so you’ve made a decision on what small group of weapons you can use for the rest of the game without losing effectiveness. This kills enough of the enjoyment for me that I’m holding off on purchasing until someone changes it either officially or via a mod.

Comment on this story