The RPS Bargain Bucket: Almost A Shame

By Lewie Procter on September 22nd, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Is that a new header image? Why yes it is. Do you like it? It’s a photograph of some buckets. Because what do buckets mean? Bargains! There’s loads of great deals piled up in the bargain bucket this week, so read on to see if any of them suit you. There’s always a record of the best recent gaming discounts over at SavyGamer.co.uk if you want more.

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes – £4.99
The latest LEGO game is one about Batman and all his friends saving the day and using their voices. Here’s what Comrade Walker thought of it:

It’s almost a shame that it carries the sequel moniker, because while Lego Batman was a decent game, it wasn’t one of the series’ best. This is. This is a massively bigger and more elaborate game, that’s as much about Superman and Luther as it is Batman and the Joker. I have no doubt that the reason this isn’t Lego DC Heroes is because Lego Batman is the best selling of any of the games, even beating the Lego Star Wars titles.

The rest is here.

Many of the Prince of Persias for cheap:
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time – £1.24/€1.99/$2.49
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within – £1.24/€1.99/$2.49
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones – £1.24/€1.24/$2.49
Prince of Persia [2008] – £2.49/€2.49/$2.49
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Subtitle – £2.49/€2.49/$2.49
So, take your pick. Which prince do you want to be? I’d say that even still The Sands of Time is the best one. They got it right on the first roll of the dice. There’s smart level design, tight controls, interesting combat (but not too much of it) and it’s a well paced challenge throughout. Warrior Within was a major misstep in tone, and focussed way too much on combat. The Two Thrones was a decent second best to Sands of Time, with some great platforming set pieces and a few interesting new ideas, let down by some awful sections (that chariot race) and dodgy checkpoint placement. I personally agree with Ubisoft that the less said about the 2008 reboot the better. Some people liked it, but I found it to be a platformer devoid of any real challenge, and it got repetitive very quickly. The Forgotten Sands probably only existed because of the film based on the Sands of Time, and it felt like it was a bad job of retreading the same ground as that game, but with worse levels and controls, but more graphics. They’re all worth a look, and this is pretty cheap.

GOG Atari Promo
Assorted Atari games are going for cheap this weekend at GOG. Some of the highlights are Outcast, Total Annihilation, Master of Magic, The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, the Master of Orion games, the RollerCoaster Tycoon games, the Desperados games, the Alone in the Dark games, and loads more. Why not check out check out Jim’s making of Outcast and thoughts on the Riddick remake. That Riddick remake wasn’t available DRM free until it was on GOG, as far as I’m aware. So if you were holding off because of that, hold off no more.

Cryptic Comet sale:
Armageddon Empires – £8/$9.99
Solium Infernum – £10/$12.49
Six Gun Saga – £4/$4.99
Apply coupon “OCCULT”.
The entire catalogue of Cryptic Comet’s strategy games are on sale, something which doesn’t happen too often at all. Here you can get Solium Infernum, which spawned THE GREAT BATTLE FOR HELL; Armageddon Empires, which some chap called Kieron reviewed for a website called Eurogamer; and Six Gun Saga, which some bloke called Quinns wrote his impression of over here.

Deal of the week
Dustforce, Rochard, Shatter, Space Pirates and Zombies, Torchlight & Vessel – £3.58/€4.48/$5.81
Or pay any price to get everything except Dustforce. All optionally register on Steam.
Another bundle of some of the best indie games around from the folks over on humble mountain. Shatter is a really slick modern update to the breakout/arkanoid genre that I always though deserved more attention. Dustforce is a stylish wallrunning platformer, which John shared his views on over here. I only just got Vessel when this bundle launched, and it really impressed me. The water fluid stuff is dreamy. See what Adam thought here. I sort of bounced off Space Pirates And Zombies when I tried to play it, it seemed well put together but didn’t really grab me. Torchlight, again, isn’t really my kind of thing, but John quite liked it. I’ve not tried Rochard yet, but it looks fun, and Alec seemed to enjoy it.

Also of note:
Bundle in a box. Loads of new stuff has just been added to it too.
A few days left on the latest Indie Royale.
Latest Indie Gala ain’t bad.
F.E.A.R. 3 – £3.25. Registers on Steam.
The Walking Dead – £9.40/€11.55/$14.99. Registers on Steam.
Nuclear Dawn – £2.74. Registers on Steam.
Batman: Arkham Asylum [Goatee Edition] – £2.49

Get yourself over to SavyGamer.co.uk for more cheap games, all the time.

1. Gnoupi says:

I really enjoyed the Rollercoaster Tycoon series (1 and 2, mostly) when they released. Played hours and hours of it. I’m tempted to buy them again… But unfortunately, Chris Sawyer’s self-made engine is not really scaling correctly with time…

You can’t really put a higher resolution than 800×600, because you won’t see anything, then. And in general, the interface took some age. Not really practical.

I would love a HD remake of RTC or RTC2. RTC3 doesn’t really feel like “the same”, though, to me.

• andytizer says:

Apparently Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 will work okay on Windows 7 using some tweaks: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/RollerCoaster_Tycoon

• Koozer says:

I played RCT 1 and 2 for hours upon hours in my childhood, but these days I’m completely defeated by the interface. I’ve gone soft.

• Premium User Badge Carra says:

I loved the original when it came out twelve years ago.

I’ve played RCT3 with both expansions last year. It’s a really good game too and the graphics look a lot better that the first two games. Heck, I put 45 hours into this game.

• xavdeman says:

If you want a real bargain, why limit yourself to American websites?
      For example, you can buy the newly improved (English language + play co op with all versions) Borderlands 2 at Yuplay.RU for only 13 (that’s THIRTEEN) Euros.
      Disclaimer: This is my affiliate link for that store, if you like my suggestion please don’t remove it.

2. Jimbo says:

PoP ’08 is one of the best games of recent years. So get that one.

• ninnisinni says:

This! ^^ I really loved that game, and yes, I HAVE played the original series too. I just found the ’08 iteration that much more enjoyable.
      Also: Elika.

• Jason Moyer says:

I really liked PoP 08 too. The platforming wasn’t really as good as the SoT trilogy, it felt more like the platforming bits in Assassin’s Creed II, but the counter/combo based combat was great and I actually enjoyed the story. It’s also one of the most gorgeous games I’ve ever played.

• BubuIIC says:

With original series you surely mean Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia 2 – The Shadow and the Flame and Prince of Persia 3D? :-)

On topic, I found the 2008 one ok-ish… it looks beautiful but gets repetitive really fast. For that price you can certainly have look at it.
        My favorite of these is Warrior Within, I quite liked the dark tone and the combat is great.

• Kilrathi says:

and I love the music in Warrior Within in the same way I love The Room and The Wicker Man remake.

• djbriandamage says:

I can’t stand the Warrior Within soundtrack. Electric guitars in historical settings is a huge pet peeve for me. That game was just dripping with angsty scruffiness.

I’d question your taste if you didn’t have such an awesome username.

• dE says:

I agree, I really enjoyed that one. I guess the issue most people had with it, was the radical departure from previous titles in the series. It was less about super perfect timing and crazy trapsections and more about the journey and development of the characters. Especially the latter is something I’m sure many people missed, because they never listened in on their conversations. The game had actual character development!
      Alas people wanted a hardcore platform game and that’s not what it ended up being.

• SirKicksalot says:

PoP 2008 is wonderful.
      Those platforming sequences that can last well over a minute are challenging enough for me.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Added agreement before the “too-easy-glorified-quick-time” miserable-ized sods of Moanington pop in for a pointless slate…

Great game, excellent atmosphere, fun characters, beautiful artwork/direction, wonderful soundtrack.

• Patches the Hyena says:

Can’t say it any better than that. It’s lovely.

• maladroid says:

Very well said. Everything worked beautifully in unison to deliver a memorable and charming experience. I’d even venture to say that the story was perhaps more interesting than the one in the Sands of Time trilogy and it had a lot of potential for a sequel. Perhaps the only thing I wouldn’t mind taking out was the button mashing required in certain boss fights (the Warrior comes to mind). Other than that I had a blast with it.

• Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

It’s lying on my desk and I haven’t got around to playing it yet.

For my money Sands of Time is the best PoP (closely followed by Two Thrones, if TT had as good a story as the SoT and ditched the quick time events then it would probably win as apart from those quibbles it did a great job of merging the aesthetic of SoT with the improved combat of Warrior Within, which was the only thing that game got right.

• The Random One says:

PoP ’08 screwed up with the orb collection thingy. It also made a lot of other changes that you can take it or leave it (the cartoony style, the “you never die” thing that was really just a checkpoint system that didn’t break the flow) but people who wanted to hate on the game because it had changes (gasp!) or because it was “catering to casuals” (hiss!) found justification for their hatred in that one poorly thought out mechanic.

• zapatapon says:

Agreed. At least they tried to go in a slightly different direction, which might not be everyone’s cup of tea but it had undeniably a lot of personality. Unlike the next one (Forgotten Sands), which was so bland that I have to struggle hard in order to summon any memory of something about it.

• Urthman says:

PoP ’08 also does something really interesting with the ending. I think it successfully makes a point very similar to the one Bioshock tried and failed to make.

• Hulk Handsome says:

I bought PoP ’08 after seeing so many people talk about it here, and I have to say I think it’s complete rubbish.

First, all the things people claim to be the best parts (constant companion, empty and mysterious world, painted art style, releasing colour back into the world, dark ending etc.) are stolen from better games, specifically Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and Okami. It feels like the creators looked at games that were considered artistic and stole all the ideas to try and replicate “art.” It’s seriously just a mish mash of other people’s ideas.

The actual game is rubbish, too. I was excited that the combat was back to one on one fights, until I found out the combat system is completely unengaging at best, tedious at worst. The platforming doesn’t feel natural enough, and the safety net the chick provides is used as an excuse for shitty design. All too often I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to make a certain jump or if this was the correct path, and all too often it led to me falling. But hey, it doesn’t matter if you just respawn just before it, right? HECK NO IT DOESN’T.

• Jimbo says:

Did you finish it?

• Hulk Handsome says:

I did not. I got about halfway through before deciding I’ve wasted enough time on it and just watched the ending on YouTube (the ending also felt like it was stealing ideas a little too liberally.)

3. pakoito says:

Buy the Cryptic Comet stuff. He’s doing it to finance his next game Occult Chronicles. He’s doing that last 10% that’s taking more than expected and changed the release date from Oct 31th to January so he needs money for the in-between time.

• mwoody says:

He should do a kickstarter. It seems custom-built for his sort of fanbase.

• Kaira- says:

Vic actually wrote a bit about Kickstarter in his blog. A sensible opinion, if you ask me.

So I’m having a sale to raise some funds to finish off the art for the project. Kickstarter seems a bit too much for something like this and I’d like to save it for a TBS or maybe a mega expansion pack for this game

• mwoody says:

Hunh, yeah, that makes sense. And actually, if he did a ‘starter for an expansion pack, reward tiers could include the original game. That would be, I’d wager, a huge draw.

• pakoito says:

She?

• JackShandy says:

Holy shit, a new Cryptic Comet game? And it has random encounters!?

RPS should totally do an interview.

4. Hroppa says:

I have been trying to convince my friends to buy Solium Infernum for ages, but the price point has always been just a little too high. Hopefully this will convince them :D

5. MOKKA says:

Buy Outcast.

• Gasmask Hero says:

Buy Outcast. I did. 12 or 13 years ago. When I completed it.

Buy Outcast. From memory, the game provides a lot of backstory into the world it creates, and your actions have a genuine impact on the rest of the game.

The ending comes as a complete surprise, at least it did to me.

In summary. Buy Outcast.

• Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

I’ll reiterate it just in case you didn’t notice:

Buy Outcast.

• Jekhar says:

I would totally buy Outcast, if i hadn’t already done it twice. Once on release, then again on gog because i lost the cds some time ago. I wish gog would offer other languages than english. The german language had a huge bonus in the form of the german dubbing voice of Bruce Willis as Cutter Slade.

6. roninnico says:

Solium Infernum is great, I sunk so many hours into that game. The UI is terrible and the resolution options non-exisitent, but the game its self created such interesting stories it was worth it.

It was and still is over priced I think, they could sell a lot more if they would lower it to something reasonable. But for fans of that style of game its a must buy.

If you’re listening Cryptic release it on tablets! I would pay a lot to play it on the go.

• sinister agent says:

I have considered buying it several times over the last few years, but seriously, it’s three years old, multiplayer only, and still going for £8 at best? What the hell are they thinking?

• Squirrelfanatic says:

It’s not multiplayer only, there is a single player mode. Also, the reasoning behind the pricing is pretty sensible. The game is tailored for a certain – niche – audience that is willing to pay that price. If the price is dropped too much too early, nobody is going to buy it for the full price.

Vic Davis makes these games solo (maybe in cooperation with a hired artist, but programming is done by him alone), so he can’t really compromise much.

• sinister agent says:

The niche audience argument doesn’t really work when the game has already had three years to sell to those people, and been featured prominently on a few major sites in that time, too.

And hey, you’re talking to someone who would have bought it years ago if it weren’t so overpriced, and there’s no way I’m special enough to be rare.

• MadMatty says:

im with sinister, would have picked it up for a tenner round launch, no problem.

and also, i mean, what are the other publishers doing?
            Aren´t they infact trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of a game, and are they not good at it?

A lot more sales at lower price, will rake in more than a few sales at a high price point- common sense.
            And i don´t think Solium Infernum is that niche really, its not like Farm Simulator or Train type thinghy.
            Looked like a perfectly reasonable boardgame style thing, you could gather a few mates around.
            Just saying.

• caddyB says:

I bought it on a sale earlier, it’s brilliant even on single player.
            Too bad I have no friends.

• Temple says:

Possibly right, possibly not. I bought them at full price knowing full well Vic does not do sales. I don’t even play them that much, but still easily consider them worth the price.

So many titles I don’t bother with at realease as I’m not wired that way and know they *will* come down in price in a few months.

7. Premium User Badge LTK says:

Thanks for telling me about the Bundle in a Box unlocks. I’ve already bought it, but they haven’t told me that Bagfull of Wrong and War Mac 2000 have also been added. That’s excellent.

Also, for some reason, the thumbnails of the games on my purchase page seem to have been partially replaced by pictures of ponies, Spongebob, and some kind of talk show.

8. povu says:

‘Warrior Within was a major misstep in tone, and focussed way too much on combat.’

It was good combat though. Sands of Time combat was a bit too easy IMO. Especially this one move which allows you to instantly kill/absorb an enemy, which worked on the majority of enemies in the game. I won’t say what it is, since the game is better without doing that constantly.

• Vandelay says:

The combat is definitely an improvement, although it can become a little too spammy, whereas timing was much more important in SoT.

Personally, I think that Two Thrones is the one that is unfairly forgotten. It combines the improved combat of Warrior, but is more in keeping with the first games tone.

9. Phinor says:

I’ve probably asked this before but are any of the Cryptic Comet games in playable shape if you are not planning to play multiplayer?

• Vinraith says:

Both Armageddon Empires and Six Gun Saga are brilliant, and they’re also both SP-only. The only CC game that has the issue you’re describing is Solium Infernum, due primarily to the game design.

• Hematite says:

Excellent news! I was under the mistaken impression that they were all MP-only. More sales shall be made.

• Temple says:

Arma Emp is definitely fine single player,
      I, er, would actually like to be able to play it with no opponents. No one would know of a hack for that…?

Sol Inf plays just about my level in single player..

10. Shadowcat says:

Ooh, I’d forgotten about the Bundle in a Box. Thanks!

“Space Giraffe” for basically any amount you want is all the sales pitch I needed :)

• wu wei says:

Just a head’s up: I’ve never been able to get the Steam version of Space Giraffe running under Windows 7.

• madmatt213 says:

Space Giraffe via Steam has been working fine for me in Win7 64-bit, though I’ve only got it last week from this bundle (have played it plenty in the past on Xbox).

• Premium User Badge Malibu Stacey says:

Works fine for me.

11. Gasmask Hero says:

Solium Infernum is a beautiful thing, but I can’t help feeling that the 1.08 release needs some loving. First time out on SP the turn log only gave me my info, the second time on turn three, I was presented with a blank log. On trying to end the turn, the game informed me that I had an outstanding message that needed to be actioned….

Yes, I know it’s supposed to be played MP, but you have to grasp the basics somewhere

• mwoody says:

The games are written with Adobe/Macromedia Director. Making them just about the only programs on the planet still to do so. That they work at all is amazing; that he keeps using this engine, moreso.

12. MythArcana says:

C r y p t i c C o m e t ! Some of the best games on the Internet you will find, but they aren’t for everyone. I’m a little sad Occult Chronicles won’t be released this year, but then again, it will probably be the only game worth buying next year.

13. Oak says:

All planes, mods, and so on for Rise of Flight are 50% off right now. Doesn’t include pre-order stuff like the Channel map, unfortunately.

14. d32 says:

Oh, screw you all! I was sitting behind the computer, actually MAKING MONEY. I thought little bit of RPS reading couldn’t hurt.
    And suddenly: POOF. Half the money I made today: gone!

15. doodaddy says:

From the Humble Bundle, I played Rochard first. I really liked it! It’s got a well-designed learning curve so that by the end I was anti-gravitying, grappling, sticky mining and shooting naturally and fluidly.

This game isn’t very hard, which is what I like nowadays.

Wait till you hear the effeminate guards.

If I would improve anything, it would be the causes of death with the baddies. Just tapping them with a box will kill them. If the box is THAT heavy, it doesn’t feel like it.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I have a crucial query:
      Is it pronounced like “Rock-hard”, or all French, like “Roshard”? I don’t know why I must know.

16. Dilapinated says:

Another chip on the “Buy Solium Infernum, it’s so good” pile. There’s an RPS SI group on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSatan

Has anyone played Sol: Exodus? Is it any good? It looks kinda shiny.

• Temple says:

Someone was bad mouthing it when the bundle got mentioned earlier on RPS. Digging around on the internet brought up a lot of agreement from people.

17. malkav11 says:

For at least a little while longer, Greenmangaming has the well-regarded indie turnbased strategy game Age of Fear for free. And if you already own it, like me, or don’t want it, well, you can always trade it in for $8 off Firaxis’s new X-COM game, bringing the total down to $37, registering on Steam.

18. The Random One says:

So I guess this is my last chance to ask: where was the previous banner image from? Because every time I looked at it I had a feeling that could only be eloquently described as @_____@

• Unaco says:

If you mean the image with the 2 frames, and the bespectacled and moustachioed men (used for last weeks BB, as well as many previous ones), it was from Gabriel Knight 3. The puzzle leading to the scene shown is somewhat infamous… If you haven’t, you should read the Old Man Murray article on it. I still get a chuckle from it.

• The Random One says:

That was the one I meant, thanks!

Another mystery solved.

19. Mitthrawn says:

Does anyone know if the gamefly sale games register on steam?

• Unaco says:

I bought F3AR earlier today, and got 2 emails about the order from them. The first confirmed the order, and led to pages with “Download now” and the like on them, but I waited, and the 2nd confirmed the order again and had the Steam key.

So yes, for F3AR at least, it registers on Steam, if that was one of the games you were considering. It is a Steamworks game though… so would register on Steam anyway, regardless of where it was bought from. I can’t say about the other titles.

20. Baines says:

If you don’t have an Android device, Indie Gala 9 might be weaker than it first appears. While there are seven PC games, there isn’t much variety.

You’ve got the Steam versions of three Broken Sword games, which have been on sale previously for probably less than the bundle price. You’ve got three Worms games, but the choices seem weird. I loved the first Worms game, but for years people have associated 2D Worms more with the Worms 2 branch of the franchise. Worms Blast is the puzzle game that seemingly everyone ignored. Worms Crazy Golf is new enough that at first I wondered why it was included instead of one of the Worms 2 games, then I wondered if Team17 sees more sustained sales from its Worms 2 repacks than it does from new non-standard games. As for Alien Breed 2, it seems okay, but not something to go out of your way to own. I did find it funny that the Alien Breed 2 trailer is blocked from viewing in the US, though.

The Broken Sword games do tempt me though, and I’d like to own the PC version of classic Worms (I had the PS1 version) even if I won’t play it much. But I’m also really tempted to wait to see what the two second week unlock games are. They could be good, or they could be duds. Heck, even if they were both Team17 games, they could still be good or duds, much less if you open them up to be anyone’s games.

21. trjp says:

Reporting from the cutting-edge of bargainism which is the Bargains thread on the RPS forums – there’s a really, really cheap way to get TL2 if you have 3 co-conspirators and one of them has both the IGN discount AND is US-based (or can access the Gamersgate store in dollars).

GG does the 4-pack for $59.99 – that’s $14.99 a copy but with the 15% off that comes down to $12.75

PayPal charged me £8.18 to gift $12.75 (including their fee for such things) which is somewhat less than the £14.95 price of the game – so there’s your route to cheap games!

I believe someone in the TL2 thread on these here forums is harnessing another bargain posse as I type – so if you’re keen, leap in there.

22. Vernalagnia says:

Wait – the 2008 version of Prince of Persia is amazing. Maybe not as a game, it is a little bit repetative and it is easy-peasy, but the art direction is basically unmatched in video games. It’s amazingly beautiful and deserves a purchase just for that.

23. Satanic Beaver says:

Some amazing discounts you missed: On amazon, Dishonored, The Last of Us, and Xcom have all been marked down by a whopping… three cents.

24. Maritz says:

Gamestop (UK) has Dishonored on pre-order for £22.97. Not used them before – has anyone got any experiences?