Sci-Fi Folktale: Anna’s Quest Demo

By Adam Smith on September 24th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Anna spends most of the game trying to break wind

The demo for Anna’s Quest contains a single puzzle that is solved in a few simple steps but there’s plenty of dialogue to pad out the length. I ended up clicking through most of it, reading rather than listening, because I’d rather hear the voices in my head. If this were the nineties, I’d be opting for the unvoiced floppy disc version rather than the shiny, shiny CD. The setting is something of a Grimm mashup, with superpowers and speculative machinery thrown in alongside the witches and woods. Anna’s special ability could allow for some clever puzzle design, but the demo, in its single room, is a bit too restrictive. Trailer below.

The demo is here and the full version is available for $5. That five bucks gets you volume one of a proposed trilogy. I remember the free prologue having a more cohesive tone but it’s entirely possible that my mind has enclosed it in gloopy congealments of its own imagining.

Via Indiegames.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. TheManfromAntarctica says:

Milhouse?

2. MistyMike says:

Can’t these point’n’click ‘adventure’ games die already?

• rustybroomhandle says:

No, they stick around for the sole purpose of annoying people like you.

• DutchDrunk says:

Never understood that kind of attitude. You’re not obligated to get any of these games, ever.
      Just ignore the genres you don’t like and we’ll all be happy campers!

• greydt says:

I believe he also steals candy from babies and trips old ladies with canes, so it’s just par on course.

• The Random One says:

BUT HOW CAN I BE HAPPY KNOWING THAT TASTES OTHER THAN MY OWN ARE BEING CATERED TO

EVERY TIME I AM REMINDED THAT THE UNIVERSE DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND ME I FEEL AS IF A THOUSAND TINY DAGGERS WERE STABBING MY GUT FOREVER

• MadTinkerer says:

Indeed. What we really need is more third person cover based shooters with quicktime events and a linear storyline leading up to a choice of three endings, each of which is nonsensical. And it should be set in the Maniac Mansion universe, with Space Marine Bernard fighting the Tentacle Army. (No inventory management or character interaction, because cutscenes are good enough.)

• MistyMike says:

Kidding aside, one of the few games widely acclaimed in recent years for its fantastic story and narrative was Spec Ops the Line, which indeed is a (mostly) linear third person shooter. Adventure games these days usually have thin plots which just serve as an excuse for the puzzles (absurd and illogical in many cases).

Tom De Roeck says:

fake

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Meh. 3/10. Too obvious.

Troll harder.

3. tobecooper says:

I like the art-style. The coloring looks quite nice too. The story seems amusing enough.
    What I’m not too sure about is the episodic nature of the game. Did anyone outside of Telltale succeed in this model? And by succeed, I mean create a full season/complete story.

• KramsDesign says:

Hey tobecooper – as the creator I’m happy to say that I have the complete story, with puzzles/characters/locations fully designed and prepared going into this. This approach is purely to bypass having to fund the game through promises in kickstarter and such, and rather have parts of the game released at a time as proof of it’s own and fund the development that way. Thanks for your interest!

4. wccrawford says:

I like the art, except during actual gameplay. It looks badly anti-aliased, and the walking animation is like she’s on a moving treadmill.

5. Fiohnel says:

Comic sans?

6. Shadowcat says:

At first I wasn’t sure what you meant, but then the voices in my head explained it to me.