Totally Recollected: Remember Me

By Adam Smith on September 24th, 2012 at 9:01 am.

Monday mornings are so unnecessarily bright and jarring

Piece together your memories of recent third-person action games. There might be some Assassin’s Creed in there, with the vertical running and the preposterous urban navigation. How about a change in pace courtesy of adventuresome puzzles, simple but functional, a break from the business of leaping, climbing, punching and kicking? The punching and kicking might well involve combos, the player character sliding and somersaulting from one enemy to another and acrobatically facing down overwhelming odds. There have already been large chunks of Remember Me on display and the latest video, shown at TGS, is all about the custom combos of an Arkhamic combat system.

Custom combos could be nifty but they may detract from the smooth flow that is the most pleasing part of man-punching. I like my violent assaults to be as smooth as silk.

, .

jezcentral says:

Hopefully these combos will guide the player in how to execute the combat. I got through Batman:AA by pure button-mashing, and I never got anywhere with the challenge maps, as I still don’t know how to build up big scores.

• CommanderZx2 says:

That makes no sense, it’s a simply case of timing. The game even tells you when to press the counter button.

Llewyn says:

And even if you turn that off (can in AC, assume you can in AA) the first few fights act as tutorials to teach you how the basic moves interact. Being rather slow at action games I remember restarting 3 or 4 times to make sure I’d understood everything it was trying to teach me.

jezcentral says:

@CommanderZx2, I think you misunderstand. I can win the fights, but on the Batman challenge maps, you need to score points to “win” the map/get gold/three bats. I would constantly scrape bronze, and couldn’t see why I sometimes got higher scores than other times. I assume it is hitting everyone without ever stopping pressing the buttons, but how long can you go without pressing the button before it breaks the combo? Does a counter count as a combo-breaker? Is there a maximum combo you can get, which means you don’t have to clear the wave of enemies in one go?

Just stuff like that. You didn’t get trained how to score points in the game, you just had to clear the room and get your knee-to-the-jaw mini-cut-scene.

• vodka and cookies says:

Yeah I’m the same as jezcentral, terrible at timing and memorizing combo’s, more advanced button mashing moves, I can get through that kind of game if it’s not too difficult. Ramp up the difficulty with a heavy emphasis on complicated combos though and my brain freezes.

Anyway Remember Me looks pretty good, similar combat system to Arkham is nice for people like me who suck at these games.

• Mana_Garmr says:

The combo-counter goes up based on continuous attacks. It doesn’t matter what kind of attacks they are, just that you maintain the flow. As you say it’s hard to judge how long you can go between attacks without breaking the chain.

The combo-multiplier goes up based on how many different types of attacks you use. Any standard attack from simply hitting the attack button counts as the same type of attack whether you do a punch or kick or whatever. Then there’s counter attack, ground attack, using the cloak to disorient an enemy, each of the special attacks you get access to through combos (instant disarms etc), and each of the quick use gadgets. There are probably others I can’t remember.

I don’t think there’s a maximum combo-count you can reach, but there would be a maximum multiplier.

• woodsey says:

You also get multipliers for variation, which it also tells you.

• Skyfall says:

At least on the PC, the timing window for keeping a combo going in Arkham Asylum is surprisingly generous. I did some random noodling in the first challenge map, and managed to lazily keep the combo meter ticking upwards even waiting 1-2 seconds between blows.

Executing an attack without a valid target, however, will kill the combo meter immediately, as will breaking out of the flow into normal movement. The game punishes you for button-mashing, and instead encourages you to be very deliberate about your choice of targets and attacks–which makes a certain degree of sense, as you’re role-playing the g.d. Batman.

I found the “combine basic attack with movement to target a particular enemy” move to be the best way to keep a long combo going, for what it’s worth.

• lordfrikk says:

You need to keep the combo up and try not to use one kind of attack several times in a row. Simple, but hard.

welverin says:

Might want to also avoid the attacks that reset the multiplier.

2. Rao Dao Zao says:

Don’t understand she can get through all those fights without breaking those awful talons. You’d have thought being an action-hero meant having practical fingernails.

• Bork Titflopsen says:

Also note the high heels and terribly tight pants and the fact that this ‘secret agent’ is the most identifiable person in the whole game.

I can’t shake the feeling that this will turn out to be a good enough, if rather mediocre clone of things we’ve seen before (AssCreed, Arkham games) with tacked on sci-fi elements that won’t really add much to the game.

• Listlurker says:

Agreed. I like attractive female protagonists in my games as much as the next person, but … a 90-lb Victoria’s Secret model (dressed like she’s going clubbing) beating up bad guys? It’s just too silly to relate to, in my opinion.

This promo clip just pushed the game to my “maybe if I see it on sale” list as well.

• D3xter says:

Oh f… off, maybe she’s wearing weaponized fingernails coated in adamantium and nano-mesh armor?
      It’s the future and there’s mind control and psychic attacks and that’s what you are complaining about?
      People are already tirelessly working on flexible armors:

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Now look what you’ve made me link.

Rule of Cool.

• Zerbin says:

But, but I was going to do something productive this afternoon…….

Makariel says:

Me can never remember combos.

4. lordfrikk says:

I think it’s funny how you vault over an enemy and apparently turn him over too so you can’t actually kick him in the back…

5. CameO73 says:

When I first saw that cool Gamescom gameplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr5vb2w1enI) it really got me interested. But after this clip it’s back to the “maybe on a sale”-list.

liquidsoap89 says:

For me it’s almost the opposite. That initial video had me interested, but the second video with the helicopter chase threw me right off (as did the “ONCE DA HUNTAH, NOW DA HUNTAHHHHHHD!” line…). This video has actually gained some of my interest again. I like the idea of choosing moves with specific benefits to them. And I was really happy when they showed the cooldown moves reducing the cooldown on those big moves, because I initially cringed when I saw such a long cooldown.

6. buzzmong says:

Why is it that no game since Oni has managed to get hand to hand fighting with combos down properly?

• Deadly Habit says:

God Hand.

• chansu says:

I still can’t believe Oni’s formula hasn’t been stolen and improved upon. I always loved the dilemma of which weapon to carry with me, carefully rationing ammo for the harder fights, trying to take down an armed opponent quickly so there would be more ammo in the clip when I stole it off them, perfecting the backwards cartwheel gun pick-up for extra style points mid fight, and the super fun cheats. Playing any level as a ninja was pretty sweet.

Yeah. Despite it’s flaws, I loved that game.

7. stiffkittin says:

Lovely. But can Capcom come up with a story that isn’t analogous to a puddle of warm puke?

8. JoeGuy says:

All I can say is I hope they tweak the UI as it isn’t all that nice to look at, at the moment and that dialogue! I hope they took the hint and re-recorded the more cheesy moments so I don’t rip my ear drums out in a fit of disappointment and lost faith in the medium.

• chansu says:

I second the cheesy dialogue, it’s letting the story side of this down big time.

Can’t agree on the UI though, I think it’s slick and nicely theme appropriate. I am a fan of minimal design though, so I enjoy how restrained it is compared to most game UIs.

FhnuZoag says:

So, basically it’s like a RPG where you have spells and healing and such, but the way you select those abilities is by punching people a certain way?

That seems pretty interesting actually.

10. DigitalSignalX says:

All I see is a field of X’s and Y’s… can’t help but stare at my keyboard and sigh.

11. codename_bloodfist says:

I find it curious how many rather unorthodox names the games have now. Instead of a generic noun phrase we now have entire sentences as titles.

12. chansu says:

Another interesting twist on familiar systems from these guys. I respect the pursuit of innovation here, it’s all too common for big budget game developers to merely implement a collection of popular game mechanics without trying anything new at all.

And I don’t imagine it will break the flow of the fights too much, Adam, if you tune your combos between fights rather than during. This is probably just for the demo.