DIshonored: The Animated Movie

By Alec Meer on September 25th, 2012 at 3:23 pm.

Gordon?

Dishonored’s whale oil-powered hype tank keeps on rolling, this time with a three-part animated prequel series detailing the backstory of the first-person assassination sim’s (yes, I know that’s a scarcely representative description) world and the city of Dunwall. It’s short, but it’s moody, subtle and rather beautiful, in a sinister sort of way. Dunwall is not a cheerful place, as the following two minutes of animation, narrated by Hit Girl herself, Chloe Moretz, reveal.

That’s just part one of three, lest that weren’t obvious. We’ll post the others as and when, obv.

Here’re the details on how these Tales From Dunwall were made: “Created by Psyop, each episode was predominantly produced by hand. Each frame was a fully rendered style frame, which was then enhanced with 3D elements to add to the painterly atmosphere, dimension and depth of each shot.” And the guy doing the music is Daniel Licht, of Dexter fame (the serial killer TV series, not John’s cat).

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Torn says:

Does the animation explain how the greedy publisher fragments and splits up the game-changing pre-order bonuses?

(Sorry if that came across as bitter, I was really looking forward to getting this game until I realised I had to make a choice of where to pre-order from, and the pre-order bonuses are far from cosmetic)

• JackShandy says:

Ignore them. They usually just break the game rather than adding anything.

• Unaco says:

Apparently, all the content is in all the games. The pre-order exclusive just means that you get a code or similar for getting those items cheaper in the game.

Edit: And who really gives a sh*t, except for bitter people that want to be offended, if I get a sword that does 80 dmg, rather than 80.5 dmg?

• Fincher says:

“And who really gives a sh*t, except for bitter people that want to be offended”

Hey! Where have I heard that before?

• DuddBudda says:

who cares? he said something important before he turned into a polemicist

hey, Unaco, give me sauce on ‘discounts not exclusives’

• Torn says:

Did you read the pre-order bonus breakdown? Seems a bit more than a ‘slightly stronger weapon’ type deal.

I dunno. Maybe they don’t really affect gameplay that much… just that they sound like they do.

• Mman says:

“And who really gives a sh*t, except for bitter people that want to be offended, if I get a sword that does 80 dmg, rather than 80.5 dmg?”

Because abilities that potentially change your entire playstyle is completely different to .5 damage on a sword (though that would still be utterly terrible to make exclusive)? If it is all in the game and the pre-order stuff is just a booster that’s not so bad, but as far I can tell there’s no definite proof of that yet (unless it’s buried somewhere in the comments of the post about the pre-order stuff anyway).

• derbefrier says:

I have a solution to your woes. Its so simple and obvious i can see how one could miss it. Dont pre order it. Buy it a couple weeks after its released and BAM no game ruining pre order crap. Or if its a code (which they usually are) just throw it in the trash. simple yet effective solutions for all!

• The Random One says:

And if the game turns out to be over-hyped rubbish you will learn it in time to not waste $60 on it.

Now that’s a pre-order bonus!

• Mman says:

“simple yet effective solutions for all!”

Perfect for everyone, except for anyone expecting a fully-featured game from the start.

2. Aaeron says:

CHLOE!

3. sirdavies says:

Cool

4. Tiguh says:

I don’t want to speak ill of The Person Who Was Hit-Girl (because that would be mad), but was there always a fashion for sounding incredibly bored in narration, or is this some modern American thing?

Don’t get me wrong; I thought the animation was beautiful, but she DOES sound like she’s staring at the door, n’est pas?

5. karthink says:

Wow. This reminds me of the Mirror’s Edge animated shorts. Both are used to explain to the viewer how a city came to be a dystopian police state, but this one is actually good. Very, very atmospheric, and with a human element that the Mirror’s Edge ones lacked.

6. tetracycloide says:

I hope they keep the Luddite slogans like ‘sometimes progress comes at too great a cost’ to a minimum in the game proper. On a related note, is that seriously how ‘whale oil can be used as a fuel source’ was discovered in their universe?

Comment on this story