Secret World’s New Dance Move: The Internal Shakeup

By Nathan Grayson on September 25th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT COAT WE MUST KNOW.

And by dance move, I of course mean “tectonic shift in creative management affixed to a phrase that happens to sound like it could be a dance move in a universe where things like layoffs and sadness don’t exist.” Given recent events, however, I imagine that actually adding a dance animation titled “The Internal Shakeup” to The Secret World would elicit a chorus of “too soons” powerful enough to wake the dead just so they could add, “Yeah guys, that’s sort of not-cool” before returning to their grim slumber. Anyway! Longest Journey mastermind Ragnar Tornquist is stepping down from his role as senior producer and slipping into some striking new creative director pants, while Joel Bylos is moving up from lead content designer to game director. Join me in reading way too far into it after the break.

First up, here are some words from Ragnar, who further explained how he’ll be involved in his gargantuan baby’s development going forward.

“As creative director, I will continue to be involved with the story and universe and overall direction, but I will also take a few steps back and let Joel lead the team and maintain the vision and direction for the game, together with the very talented Scott Junior, who takes over my duties as producer.”

“For now, I just want you all to know that I’ve treasured and appreciated my time managing The Secret World. Interacting with you guys – our passionate and loyal community – has been a joy and a privilege, and I will continue to be involved on a daily basis. But with a new management team in charge of the game, I’m also finally going to be able to enjoy The Secret World as a fan and a player.”

Meanwhile, Funcom noted that Secret World’s Issue #3 update is in the process of being “wrapped up,” and Issue #4 – which includes the Adam-approved New York raid – is already deep in development. Hopefully, that means no more Issue #2-style slips, but time will tell.

As for the changes themselves, I’m not entirely sure how to feel. I mean, world design and writing are easily the stars of Secret World’s show, so I’m happy to hear that Ragnar will get to give them his full attention. But it also sounds like he’s stepping back in terms of overall involvement, and – in conjunction with press release statements about a “bold, new future” – it’s hard not to read this as a reaction to less-than-optimal responses to the game as it is now. Then again, some aspects of TSW – combat, for instance – could use a bit of freshening up, so it’s certainly possible that this is a change for the better. And of course, F2P stands as an eventual possibility. That’d also probably require some design revamps.

At this point, it’s tough to tell exactly what’s on the horizon. If nothing else, though, The Secret World has one. That, in my opinion, is excellent news.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Tilaton says:

The thing is, does anyone actually want to go for this game as a new arrival now as it is behind a ridiculous pay wall and everyone knows it’ll go F2P which means people who pay for it now will probably get shafted one way or another…

They should’ve gone F2P for the start.

2. Discopanda says:

TSW looked pretty alright. Unfortunately that’s hardly worth 50 bucks and 15 bucks a month afterward these days.

3. Lukasz says:

the faster SW dies the faster we should get TLJ…. although that might be good or bad thing.

• J_C says:

The two are not connected at all.

• coldvvvave says:

We’ll never get TLJ2 or Dreamfall 2. I think it’s time to deal with it.

• Lukasz says:

Yes. They are. Ragnar was the writer for Dreamfall as well as designer for TLJ. He expressed his interest in making more of TLJ so cold is wrong on that.

Therefore, less time he spends on TSW and will want to find alternative source of income for the company, more likely we will see TLJ2 or Dreamfall Chapters

thats my reasoning.

4. aliksy says:

Every headline I see I think is going to be the f2p story.

Ah well. I probably won’t even play it if it goes free. I’ve already got gw2 for my MMO fix, and countless other games for my single player fix.

• mmalove says:

Having recently unsubbed this game, I tend to agree with you. The highlight of the last content update was facial customization options, the game, like EA’s SWTOR, has a lot of content for levelling up your character, and I can honestly say I enjoyed the story and don’t regret buying this. But, there’s just no endgame draw to justify monthly payments for a trickle of new missions. It seems more sound to sub in once in a while and check out what’s new, if at all.

• svick says:

I think it’s even worse in this regard than TOR. Because in TSW, you have pretty much no reason to create a new character and play it to the “level cap”. In TOR, there are many reasons for new character: different class storyline, different gameplay (e.g. if you want to switch from healer to DPS) and each side also has their own quests.

TSW has none of that. The only reason I could imagine is playing for a different faction, but that doesn’t make almost any difference.

5. Xan says:

If this goes F2P it will be my game of choice for MMO’s. Might even drop some cash on it from time to time, my schedule is just too messed up to pay 15$ every month and get my money’s worth of time.

6. Lukasz says:

I wonder what failure of this game means for world of darkness mmo. its still coming right? Coming from CCP it might be slightly different than TSW but enough different ?

• Curly says:

Probably not. It would be nice to believe CCP wouldn’t make WoD into a Diku, but personally I’ve killed too many monsters in too many fields to trust anyone to break the pattern.