Look: First Proper Total War: Rome 2 Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on September 26th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Roooooooooome! Two. The ancient Empire is set to rise again next year. And again. And again, as millions of us click our way to dominance of the old world theater of empire-building. I’m planning on building an Empire of druids, too. (As it should have been.) Regarding the trailer, SEGA explain: “The year is 146BC, brilliant tactician Scipio Aemilianus is dispatched by Rome to break the three-year-long siege of Carthage, an unforgivable blight on the glory of the growing Empire. Ruthless determination and an almost suicidal amphibious assault is required, but the young consul is uncomfortably aware that the price of victory may be much higher than the senate realises.” The trailer apparently shows off the kind of detail you can expect from the game’s battles.

Poor old Carthage.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. DogKiller says:

I believe the subtitle for the video is: New Computer Time.

2. JustAPigeon says:

Please get rid of that hideous brown filter. Is there something wrong with colours?

• RaveTurned says:

Modern colours weren’t invented until the 9th century AD. #dubiousinternetfact

• Njordsk says:

EXACTLY my thoughts.

Please make an option for on/off CA. PLEASE.

I like colors. While I realise it’s war, war has it’s own colors, and it’s not brown.

• TychoCelchuuu says:

Ever since Napoleon, Creative Assembly has been very big on giving the Total War games an inexplicably restricted palette. Things were quite blue in Napoleon and Shogun 2 although Shogun 2 was better.

3. Gap Gen says:

Carthago est delenda.

I’m running out of disk space, and need to delete some old cities, y’see.

• greg_ritter says:

“delenda essum”
      LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT?!

• Gap Gen says:

It’s an acceptable form of the quote, I gather.

• greg_ritter says:

Yes, it is, but I just learned how to say “motherfucker”, so…

• cowardly says:

Acceptable, but not the usual form of the quote in any way : in Latin, one to finish ones sentences with the verb (i.e., “Carthago delenda est” (which needs no essum, as far as I’m aware)), but the most used form In references to the speech is the more pleasing “Delenda est Carthago”. ^^

Also, motherfucker seems to be matris-futuor, and matris-pedicabus can best be translate as mother-pedicab ^^

• Carra says:

My thoughts exactly, random internet man.

4. Fox89 says:

Poor Carthage indeed!… Must we destroy her? I’d prefer to just Caesar.

5. Buckermann says:

This trailer is titled “First gameplay footage” right?
    Maybe I’m just stupid, but I fail to see ANY so-called gameplay footage here :(

• SirKicksalot says:

Most of my time in Total War is spent looking for awesome cinematic views.
      In Rome 2 there’s an over the shoulder cam for individual units.

• Gaytard Fondue says:

A few bits here and there.

• Bhazor says:

It is.

They have been using the in game engine for cutscenes since the first Rome.

• Ateius says:

That’s all actual in-game footage of a battle. It’s just been edited together with all the snazziest camera views to capture the most dramatic moments all at once.

Looks like the art team has been paying attention to the Total Realism folks from RTW 1. I like the new soldiers.

• Unaco says:

Yeah, as others have said… I think they mean it’s the first gameplay ENGINE footage. We’ve only had ingame engine screenshots, and a Live action trailer thus far.

• mashakos says:

Man, I thought I was looking at modest CG there for a good 5 minutes. Had to watch it again to be convinced that it was in-engine. Amazing! Now I’m happy I own a GTX580 and a Core i7 3930k :)

6. Bobsy says:

*dons the Blue Wolf*

Scipii ’til I die!
    Scipii ’til I die!
    Scipii ’til I die!
    OOOOooohh Scipii ‘TIL! I! DIE!

7. Cytrom says:

The bland colors totally ruined my excitement for this title.

8. newprince says:

Honest question: weren’t ancient statues and buildings painted?

• razgon says:

Yeah, but that wasn’t really common knowledge until recently.

• Binho says:

It may not be common knowledge, but it’s been known by scholars for about 200 years. They don’t really have an excuse.

Sadly, for it to become common knowledge we would need popular media like Rome Total War 2 to embrace it. HBO’s Rome got the ball rolling, now we need someone to pick up where they left off.

9. Universal Quitter says:

I’m baffled at the apparent fact that more than one person on earth could have a game “ruined” for them, simply because it’s too brown. No one’s even played it, yet, and I bet it would be modded out within days, if not hours, of it’s release. It’s no wonder publishers and developers find it easy to blow off fan criticism.

Whatever it’s worth, I think the game looks amazing, and is probably going to be a blast to play.

• S Jay says:

Your comment ruined the entire existence of humankind!

• The Magic says:

While i dont think it’s ruined, i do think it’s disappointing. I just wonder how the other nations will look in such a toned down world. Also saying that “It’s okay, it’ll be modded,” really isn’t an excuse, and using such logic can lead to games that are half finished and people being okay with it because “it’ll be modded to completion.”

Game devs stopped making everything brown for a reason. Action doesn’t read well when it’s a big blur, and it’s just not pretty.

I’m still looking forward to the game. i just dont like its looks.

10. warkwark says:

Regarding previous Total War series, specifically the recent Shogun…

I was excited about the game and then really baffled and put off when my pretty competent gaming rig choked on load times and took forever to resolve computer turns.

The computer plays everything else OK, including some pretty top-tier shooters, albeit not at top specs.

Anyone else have these problems with their games?

• UncleLou says:

Yeah, Shogun has notoriously long loading times. Improves quite a bit with an SSD, but they’re still long.

And it does indeed make my otherwise usually reasonably quiet PC sound like a hoover, particularly on the strategic map.

• MyBrainIsMelting says:

Sorry, but S2 load times don’t improve much with a SSD because they come primarily from precalculating a lot of graphics in DX11 mode and are mainly determined by “single core CPU” speed (AMD processors do really bad here and an overclocked 3770k or other top Ivy/Sandy bridge CPU do best).

Or switch to DX9 and load times will improve greatly as well.

11. foda500 says:

“[...]an unforgivable blight on the glory of the growing Empire.”

Rome was a Republic when the Punic Wars happened.

12. Harper says:

For all those who don’t like the colors, you should talk to someone who lives near an area that deals with wildfires. They would tell you the the sky is indeed brownish in color close to the area that is on fire.

Can’t imagine a burning city being much different than a wildfire. ;)

13. tres says:

Real is brown. True story.

14. Joote says:

It would be terribly nice of them if they fixed all of their other games before they started a new one.

• MyBrainIsMelting says:

I hope they don’t take away too much freedom from the player with their new focus on ‘story’ and historic events in R2. This trailer makes it look like that you are forced by the game to conquer Carthago.

• GoodKnight says:

nahhh why should they?
      They have modders for that.. poor poor darth..

15. GoodKnight says:

wow all that and all I got was 2 seconds of game play..
    I HATE CA!!! for real actually since the farce that is Empire! Still no real mod tools as promised!
    And it took them more then a YEAR AND A HALF to patch in co op camping
    I pirated Napoleon played it some and decided I’d buy it but only at 75% off.
    Same with Shogun..
    Same with Rome 2!

16. OddsAgainst says:

I hope the units actually speak Latin. Lets rejuvenate this language!

Comment on this story