Dishonored: The Animated Movie, Part Three

By Adam Smith on September 27th, 2012 at 3:51 pm.

The final part of the Dishonored: Tales From Dunwall animated series is here. Sterling work, these, which put me in mind of Thief’s cutscenes. The style isn’t anything like the same, but there is style and lots of it. Part one and two are also available for your viewing.

Dishonored is out between Oct 9th and 12th, depending on where you live.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Davee says:

I need to have this game. But I also need the other gazillion ones coming out this fall! But my wallet is not big enough and I appear to have too much sense to just randomly pick and buy them! Decisions, decisions…

Talk about a privileged-world problem.

(By the way, I’m really liking these short stories. And the Sci-fi-Steampunk style of the game is a big plus too.)

• Sheng-ji says:

The games you want will have a long shelf life, avoid spoilers like the plague and get the ones you can’t afford when you have money and no games you want!

• Davee says:

Hmm. Good point.

• HothMonster says:

holiday sale here I come!

• Armante says:

yeah, plenty of games I’m wanting to add to my Steam catalogue. However, real life intrudes more than it used to, and there is much less time to play. Even with recent sales I’ve held back from buying, because by the time I’d get to play them they would be on sale as a GoTY collection, with all DLC anyway.. :)

However, I am tempted to get Dishono(u)red and bump it to the front of the queue!

2. Kreeth says:

Argh release the damn thing already! Fed up waiting now.

3. Ian says:

Stop promoting it and just let me pay you already.

4. Kollega says:

Hm. I think this game actually looks legitimately interesting, and my aversion to overly grim and dark things doesn’t seem to change that one bit. Looks like the sheer amount of style, panache, and pizzaz Dishonored delivers is enough to outweigh it’s bleak tone.

5. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Before I watch these three episodes… do they “spoil” anything that might be better learned playing the game with ignorance?

• Paul says:

They do not spoil anything and are beautiful. Watch it.

• Haxavier says:

They don’t spoil anything other than stuff you may come across in their official website marketing blurbs. And each video is only 2 minutes long and focuses on the story of one minor character at a time.

So watch them. They’re beautiful and amazing.

• welverin says:

If anything they’re setting the game up.

• Droopy The Dog says:

Yeah, more than anything they seem to be a bit of prologue and some scene setting for the world.

6. MLS says:

The amount of money they must have spent marketing this game probably could have built a sequel already.

Crazy how the world works.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

I think the whole point of marketing (especially for a new franchise) is that you’re hoping that by spending the money you’ll get even more people to buy your product, which is also what funds sequels. Hard to win either way, but if you don’t market the odds of your game getting into the hands of the people who would play it are slim.

• SkittleDiddler says:

It is crazy, and it’s going to have a marked effect on the overall quality of the game.

Publishers need to spend more money on production, not advertising.

• DuddBudda says:

‘it’s going to have a marked affect on the quality of the game’

please explain how ‘publisher loans studio $X to build game’ is compromised by ‘publisher spends $Y to market game

• SkittleDiddler says:

You can’t seriously think that the devs working on Dishonored are allowed to budget the money as they see fit, can you? Bethesda have total control over what gets spent on what.

Anyway, you’re missing the point. Bethesda are spending massive amounts of cash on marketing the game, and that cash would be better spent invested in the actual development of the game. It would certainly make for a better game.

• sqrrl101 says:

It’s a good thing that Betheseda are marketing the game so heavily – it indicates that they have confidence in it. If they didn’t think it had the potential to be a hit, they’d cut their losses and deliver the minimal amount of marketing that they’re obliged to provide. In Dishonored’s case, they must be spending a huge amount publicising it, which speaks highly of the game.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Like how they marketed for RAGE and Brink? Yeah, those both turned out well, didn’t they?

• Hunchback says:

I am fairly certain these three videos combined cost much less than the GW2 trailer with real actors tagging walls and stuff.

7. Rictor says:

I just watched all three, and they are indeed amazing. The animated shorts are about as far from your average dubstep choppy-edit shooter trailers as….as two things that are very far from each other. Kudos to the devs for going above and beyond when commissioning these, and extra kudos to whoever animated them. Creepy and sad and atmospheric – oh my!

8. Gasmask Hero says:

All I can think about is the police parading about on stilts like circus clowns. Sure it’s to avoid the rats but what, are you also saying that rats haven’t learned to climb in Dishonoured? (Use of the ‘U’ is intentional).

Also, the whale oil thing…a society that can produce rat proof stilts has to haul whales back X amount of miles to butcher them, instead of efficiently doing it at sea like has been practiced since the 1700s or so? I guess they don’t have coal, or charcoal in Dishonoured then.

Please sell me on this, because for some reason…i’m not feeling the love here.

• Aatch says:

Well there are several parts to this:

They are high because it gives them a good view, they are guards etc. It doesn’t really have much to do with the rats, in fact, I’m not sure where you got that from…

Second, stop getting reality in my steampunk, dammit! It takes ages to clean the reality from my clockwork butler, and he gets covered in it any time somebody mentions “history” or “common sense”, it gums up the works and requires a trained electro-mechanographer to repair him.

If the steampunk hasn’t sold you, then you won’t buy this game, ever.

• Armante says:

Reality has little to do with gaming, sometimes. While playing the Planetside2 Beta, I don’t stop and wonder how I respawn every five minutes, or wrecks evaporate “because it’s all nano-tech”.

Just enjoy the game already :)

Also, I’m sure the stilts aren’t for rat-avoidance, but all about ‘being taller than average people and being able to pummel the crap out of them’, much like police on horseback and riot gear. size is intimidating, after all.

• Kilometrik says:

OK, first of all the stilts are not for rat avoidance. They are for plague ridden citizen avoidance. THey are used when the police needs to dispense a partircularly nasty batch of “weepers” (as the plague victims are called within the lore) as, IIRC, when the fluid that the weepers secrete from most of their orifices touches you, you are at risk of being infected too. And second: I’m farily sure there weren’t refineries at sea during the 19nth century, which is the main use of those whales (the oil they secrete is incredibly flamable and can be used, when purified, as an organic fuel, it is the source of power for most of their technology). which is why they have to take them to the city, not mention that we don’t know how their biology works. Skinning them and stuff could be considerably harder.

9. Armante says:

Hmm. Could have sworn I watched one of these three videos and it said 10/9/12 at the end, and two said 12/10/12. ‘Twas on the YouTube I believe, and the other two through RPS.

Does that mean an October 9th in the US, and October 12th elsewhere?
    Curious (and confusing..)

• Kreeth says:

Yes. Looks like the Bethesda UK youtube account has the European date written in the correct format, and whatever other account has the US date in bizarro backwards format.