Far Cry 3′s Maddest Baddies Wax Diabolical

By Nathan Grayson on September 27th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Far Cry 3‘s villains sure do like to talk. It seems to be something of a pattern: you fight, they tweak their mustaches and monologue ominously, and then you end up tied to a sinking cinder block or on fire or something along those lines. Yet you always live to fight another day and begin the cycle anew. It forces me to wonder: is it all intentional? Maybe Vaas and his strappingly Saxton-Hale-esque pal Buck just want someone to talk to. Or perhaps they just need someone to listen. Can you be that person? Can you give them the verbal hug their parents never did and then verbally attend their piano recital and play catch with them in the park? If not, Far Cry 3′s third villain – every tiger in the entire jungle – won’t talk, but will still try to kill you. So there’s something for everybody. Observe after the break.

They seem pretty charming, right? Vaas definitely seems to be taking center stage, but I’m glad he’s not the only brand of crazy we’ll be encountering during our stay on Far Cry 3′s island. Buck strikes me as a little more hands-on in his approach – by which I mean he usually has his hands on knives and… other regions. I bet he’s great fun at parties. And the tigers, well, they’re tigers. I imagine they will act accordingly.

Far Cry 3′s headed for our virtual shores on November 29th. You can view its rather formidable system specs now, though, if you’d like. Is your PC enough of a beast to handle it? Or is your machine the greatest beast of them all: man?

, .

1. John Connor says:

Is that guy supposed to have an Australian accent? Because it sounds like the voice actor got lost and ended up in Austria.

tomeoftom says:

Unnngggh it’s so bad! Yeah it kept sounding like he was slipping into South African. I don’t get this – you spend millions and millions on a game; just fly someone over that has a legitimate accent, or audition fresh expats from the country in question. I mean, really.

The trailer in question was pretty unfocused. Their marketers are really, really bad at their job, given all the angles a concept like Far Cry 3 gives you. Interesting song, though. Dat production & arrangement.

• woodsey says:

Worst case of that has to be casting Nolan North as a cockney Penguin in Arkham City, when Rocksteady themselves are based in bloody London.

• scatterbrainless says:

Maybe they did, then they found out that Australians sound boringly normal, and not at all like the ridiculous cartoon raping/knifing character that they all had in their heads. Only an American can voice that particular Australian.

• scatterbrainless says:

Heh, yeah, as an Australian I honestly didn’t realize he was supposed to be one of us until 3/4 of the way through the trailer. Then I laughed my ass off.

• blacksun_redux says:

NOTHING is as bad as the Aussie accent in Tribes Ascend. Nothing.

2. Bungle says:

The colors seem too bright in this game. It looks too cartoony for its gritty subject matter. I loved FC2 but I don’t exactly have high hopes for this one.

• John Connor says:

I will remember this comment next time somebody complains about games being too grey.

• BobbyDylan says:

Yeah, come to think of it, the first Far cry was very colourful. This one looks kinda similar, with it’s bright environments. I kinda like it, actually.

• JurassicPork says:

The original FarCry made me upgrade my graphics card. Great distances, lush verdant foliage and beautiful tropical beaches. One of the most beautiful games I can remember playing actually. Sick of the gritty, brown/grey shooter maps these days. Really looking forward to this. Maybe time for a new GPU again :)

• JoeGuy says:

But if you want to take your ordeal in a very serious way you wouldn’t be playing a sandbox FPS that has mostly had crazy or funny trailers targeting you.

3. Ultra Superior says:

staring eyes

4. Moni says:

I’m still holding out hope that there will be an option that makes all the voice assets playback at double speed.

5. Magnetude says:

That bit about unlocking your ‘true power’ – are they bringing back the superpowers from the first games? A merger of Far Cries 1 & 2? (I hope not but I’m a FC2 man, see).

• woodsey says:

Don’t think so, but it seems the protagonist is set to start tripping balls every 5 minutes or so.

• Grape Flavor says:

Only the console spinoffs of Far Cry 1 featured any sort of powers. Not the PC original.

6. konrad_ha says:

Violence-Boner^10

7. varangian says:

Well the tiger was scary, do you get random encounters with such beasts or is it just when the story demands?

Also slightly scary, or at least worrying, is that it seems there’s a mission in which the pre-determined outcome is that you will get captured so that the whackos can show off their crazy eyes. Somehow never feels right in sandbox worlds, hope there isn’t so much of that.

• Moni says:

From what I’ve read, there’s a hunting/crafting mechanic, and some animal hunting quests.

• DigitalSignalX says:

Hope we can hunt them with just a combat knife. In the dark.

• Qazi says:

From my experience with the Eurogamer demo, the wildlife isn’t reserved for specific scripted missions.
      It spawns all over the place.
      I interrupted a pack of dogs hunting some goats, and was set upon by a pair of hungry komodo dragons.

8. Firetaffer says:

All those stock screaming sound effects, ahhhhhhh!

9. wodin says:

Vaas “..thats right I said 300 red muscle vests you fuckwit”
    Catalogue Man “OK OK 300 red muscle vests, they will be with you in three days time MrVaas”
    Vaas” No..they will be here before sundown or I’ll kill your wife and kids…”
    CM “OK SUndown…”
    VAss “Right lads we all wear Red Muscle Vests from tonight..if you refuse I cut ya throat”
    Lads “OK Boss”

10. ArtyFishal says:

This is the type of madness I love seeing in games. Very excited for this. Colorful environments, colorful characters, colorful halucinogens.

11. Godwhacker says:

Hey, the tattoo on your arm looks just like the tattoo on the mad guy’s arm! I wonder what that means.

(I’m assuming it means they’re going to be ripping off Fight Club)

12. fallingmagpie says:

“Or is your machine the greatest beast of them all: man?”

*snort*

13. Calabi says:

Too much story maybe means not much gameplay?

14. pilouuuu says:

4 Gb RAM required? 8 Gb recommended? And it runs on consoles that have like 256 Mb RAM? Crappy console port detected!

Cross says:

You make a preconceived, but fair point.

• Calabi says:

Or high res textures, and other boosted graphic options, and very few loading screens.

• pilouuuu says:

Isn’t a 64bit OS required for more than 3 Gb anyway? I don’t see graphics much better than Crysis anyway.

15. deadly.by.design says:

I can’t wait to buy this game

on sale.

16. Shooop says:

Hooray, more overwrought, so-bad-it’s-almost-funny-but-nope-it’s-shit-dialogue pretending to be deep and psychologically moving!

17. haradaya says:

I’ll agree that a lot of things seem cheesy in the trailers so far. But the gameplay it shows?
    I pre-ordered…

The Insane Edition. 33 pounds on Amazon. Why not. I loved Far Cry 2 and wish I had gotten the collector’s edition of that.

18. Donjo says:

I was interested at first, FC 1 and 2 are great games… but these trailers are getting stupiderer and stupiderer.

• deadly.by.design says:

But FarCry has always had stupid dialogue, voice acting and story lines. It’s all about stalking around in whatever meticulously-crafted sandbox jungle/savannah the devs have created for us. I’ll probably pick this game up when it’s under $30.

Oh, and screw Trigens. They’re the point at which I always wanted to stop playing FC1.