Make A Date With Tryst’s Demo

By Adam Smith on September 27th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Alec noticed that we had missed Tryst and the collective shrug in the comments suggested that we weren’t alone. Tech trees, unit upgrades and the ability to merge basic units together in order to make new ones – these are the things that apparently set the RTS apart from the crowd. The crowd, should you care to take a look at it, seems to be mostly just Starcraft 2, flexing its mouse-clicking muscles and loitering with intent. To draw some attention to itself, Tryst has coyly released a demo, although it only allows players to use the human faction. It does allow multiplayer and AI skirmishes on the included map though. Download here or watch gameplay footage below. Or run through the streets in the rain, I guess.

Any takers?

, , , , .

1. Kid_A says:

*shrug*

• Chalky says:

Shrug indeed.

I don’t understand why I’d play this over Starcraft 2. What am I missing?

• BobbyDylan says:

Maybe because you’ve already played SC2?

• Fierce says:

It is said that variety is the spice of life.

Do you dislike spices? Spice is great!

• Berzee says:

I don’t understand why I’d play this over nutmeg.

• Danarchist says:

I love spice! Except for the whole turning me into a giant space worm thing….

Bought this randomly the other day and cant get past like the second or third mission in the campaign. It’s a very unforgiving game which makes me wonder why it’s not more popular with the hardcorez!!!!1! Definitely not better than sc2 or any of the Dawn of war series.

• PUKED says:

Yeah, I’m not seeing much that SC2 or Relic aren’t doing already.

The boring gameplay videos aren’t helping either.

2. aliksy says:

I don’t play RTS much, so I guess I’m not the target audience. The idea of merging units into bigger units sounds interesting in theory, though.

• enobayram says:

I guess that would be a nice feature for a zombie tactics game.

3. Listlurker says:

I can’t see why I need to play this either. Not saying it’s bad, just that it seems redundant when things like StarCraft and Dawn of War are about.

Besides … Tryst? A word that typically means “a secret meeting for the purpose of having sex”? Was the title somebody’s idea of subliminal marketing? :-)

• Berzee says:

I believe (but only with ~50% confidence, mind) the latter part of that meaning is a more recent addition.

• Kemipso says:

Spelled in French, the game would just mean “Sad”.
      That depresses me even more.

• Groove says:

So what you’re saying is that if this game got bad reviews then saying that ‘sad game is sad’ wouldn’t be a tautology?

jrodman says:

Isn’t that “triste”?

• Grey Ganado says:

I’m more worried that it sounds like the German word for bland.

4. reggiep says:

Starcraft 2 has some subtle, but hugely important mechanics going on behind the scenes. They call it the Mathematics Engine, but it basically means that when you set, say, 4 siege tanks to attack a single marine in a group, they will coordinate their attack automatically so that only the necessary amount of damage is applied to kill the marine. So you won’t waste 4 siege shots on a single marine. This is just one example of the depth of tactics involved in Starcraft 2.

Because of that, and various other highly important interface elements, Starcraft 2 is king. There is little reason to play any other RTS of this type.

Of course, the cover-based RTS sub-genre like CoH or DoW are certainly awesome in their own regard.

5. DarkFenix says:

WoW clones have been flopping repeatedly for years, did these guys think an SC2 clone would work any better?

• Fierce says:

“GTA clones have been flopping repeatedly for years, did these Volition guys think… oh wait…”

I propose a new mandatory course in education curriculum around the world:

1. Research, plan and articulate a business plan that the student thinks will make them reach a teacher chosen profit target, due in 2 months.
      2. A month of student presentations of their businesses.
      3. A competitive analysis on their chosen business and how it has succeeded or failed against its real world competitors, due every month for 3 months. Each “round” would be the length of a “Quarter” so each student’s business would encounter things like Holiday shopping seasons and cyclical consumption predictions. “Revenue” or “Costs” would be doled out by the teacher based on the validity of their analysis.
      4. Did the business reach the teacher chosen profit target after 3 analysis periods plus a bonus “Quarter” administered by an essay?

If more people did the above as a matter of course in their education, I think there would be less comments like yours DarkFenix.

• ScubaMonster says:

That has to be one of the least intelligent things I’ve read all day. Congratulations!

• Fierce says:

Thanks, I try!

Sarcasm aside, did you mean to reply to DarkFenix instead of me? If not my point stands fairly firmly despite your objections.

In short, there are several reasons why Tryst exists that stand academically, financially and business professionally. I merely point out that if DarkFenix cant fathom why a “clone” such as Tryst was attempted, he or she simply hasn’t fathomed long/hard enough on very basic competitive principles.

I happen to believe the games industry has room enough for all comers, don’t you?

• PUKED says:

Dude, you’re comparing Tryst to Saints Row, of all things. There are massive, massive differences between the size of the dev teams and the budgets they’re working with.

So unless you’re saying Tryst is a quick cash grab I don’t know what your point is.

• DarkFenix says:

A simple ad hominem one. “Your opinion/impressions make you uneducated.” Not something you get quite as commonly on RPS, but regrettably not uncommon either.

• Fierce says:

DarkFenix, as weird as this may sound considering my above posts, I did not intend to insult your education, I intended to harshly decry your logic. Seriously, step back a moment and view the forest rather than the trees.

Your only claim that I’m ad hominem’ing you is that you’ve taken offense that I mentioned your post as possibly originating because you’re not thinking hard enough about basic business principles. That’s it. Again, that is my harsh criticism of your logic, not your received insinuation that I called you an idiot. I didn’t and I’m not.

Also, being a victim of ad hominem alludes that your point was correct. You didn’t say 2+2=4 and then I posted. You essentially said “Others have failed, what made these guys think they would succeed?” Well by that logic, CD Projekt Red, GSC (r.i.p.) and Runic Games should have never opened their doors! “InsertRPGHere, InsertMoodyFPSHere and Diablo have been dominating for years. Whatever do we need Witcher, Stalker and Torchlight for?

The more games that are made, the more ideas that are tried, the more competition that applies pressure and the more human skillsets are refined, the better for us gamers overall. I have no idea what the next innovation in RTS will be, but I’m pretty sure neither of us will find out nor money made for those that invent it if games like Tryst don’t come out.

Your point was not correct DarkFenix, and that was all I was saying. I’ll readily apologize if you felt insulted, but I didn’t mean to insult, only debunk.

(I also hope you’ve understood the point now PUKED.)

• Ahtaps says:

Haha. That has to be one of the most refined and educated trolling attempts I’ve seen in a while. I didn’t realise there was an upper class troll society outside of Homestuck.

Tongue in cheek remarks aside, you (Fierce) never actually proved to us that DarkFenix was incorrect. They asked whether the developers behind Tryst thought that the game would succeed as an SC2 clone, given that analysis showed that Blizzard games tend to be tough to emulate successfully (vis a vis, point 3 of your 4 steps to better business education course) Unless you have access to their (BGI) market analysis details, you are not in a position to presume that DarkFenix was either correct or incorrect in their question.

Also, given that you attempted to belittle DarkFenix’s comment with the statement that they were not educated enough in business to make their statement, yes, you did in fact make an ad hominem attack. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem#Abusive)

• vonkrieger says:

They actually had us do something like this in my first year of uni, “Business Game”. It was all arbitrary decisions and random numbers, complete waste of time.

There is, however, a lot to be said for the Battle Royale model for bringing out students competitive side.

• eks says:

speak less words
        play more games

6. Moraven says:

This game seems to lack its own distinctive like other RTS. While SC BW was big a lot of other RTS came out and are remembered other than not being a big eSport.

I can’t get past that the UI is nearly identical to SC2.

7. SouperSteve0 says:

THE VOICEACTING!!!!! IT BURNS THE EARS!!!!!!! But seriously what is that even supposed to be, a Russian with a speech impediment?

8. adamsorkin says:

I am missing something, or is this demo multiplayer only?

9. turtle says:

This is a shameless rip off. I hope this is not the best Indian games developers are capable off.

Bluegiant Interactive:Based in Hyderabad, India

10. Universal Quitter says:

28 comments, and not a single person discussing whether the game is actually fun to play or not?

• wu wei says:

The majority of comments are always more about the commenter than the game. I just block everything that’s a “LISTEN TO MY EGO” post, and things are a lot quieter here now.

11. Chubzdoomer says:

I don’t understand the comparisons to Starcraft 2.. It just makes no sense to me. The game plays nothing like Starcraft 2. It’s actually more akin to Warhammer or Company of Heroes. That being said, it doesn’t seem to be very good and will probably fade away before long.

• Groove says:

It may not play like SCII, but it’s:

1) A space-war themed RTS
      2) That has a similar graphical style to SCII (chunky units/buildings to name a big one)
      3) The UI is identical almost to the point of plagarism
      4) And none of the previews have shown anything to make it stand out from SC

12. The Random One says:

So this is what that spry shy gypsy spy was doing by my crypt.