Planets Under Attack Looks Busy, Colourful

By Jim Rossignol on September 27th, 2012 at 8:26 am.

It's true that they're under attack.
Topware’s swarm-based tower defense variant, Planets Under Attack, looks sort of perfect. It sees various brightly coloured planets orbiting in off-kilter star systems, and unloading huge torrents of space-fleets each other. Vaguely reminiscent of Eufloria, I suppose, only where that was a subtle ambient tune, this is more like a gilded pop torrent.

Observe the trailer below.

It’s “coming soon”, apparently.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Multitude of staring eyes tag?

2. CalleX says:

Feels a bit like Mushroom Wars.

3. medwards says:

Looks like they added side asymmetry and a couple of other interesting new add ons to Galcon http://www.galcon.com/iphone/ (which I’m sure extended another concept).

• Vurogj says:

Didn’t Galcon already have asymmetry as one of it’s game modes? Been a while since I played it so I may be misremembering.

• Frank says:

Yup, looks closer to Galcon than Eufloria (which is a good thing).

The fancy graphics and camera angle seem like they might interfere with the business of clicking quickly (which all RTSs are built upon), though.

• innociv says:

I feel like I’ve seen too many of these games, and to me having played one I’ve played them all..

4. The Infamous Woodchuck says:

yeaah.. Humans, Robots and Aliens.. Couldn’t get more generic than that…

• vivlo says:

i think that’s the point.

• Stromko says:

Yeah I think what they’re going for is iconic. Or just making sure to cover all the bases with minimal design resources. You got your humans, you got your robots, you got your icky aliens. All it’s missing is space-elves, and good riddance (though I bet that would be the first DLC race they add).

5. zebramatt says:

Looks like a frantic Eufloria.

6. njursten says:

I really loved Eufloria! Will wait for a review though. Already too much regret and sadness over the length my backlog, don’t need to add to it.

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

That’s not really a tower defense type game. Galcon and its ilk are notably different although at times similar to tower defense games.

8. Thrippy says:

Recent similar titles for ten bucks each:

Tower Wars
    Shad’O
    Planets Under Attack (planets shoot and spawn creeps, close enough)

Guess which one has:

The longest single player campaign (one of the three has a tutorial as the entirety of its single player content)
    Skirmish against AI (the other two do not)
    The most multiplayer maps (the other two: none and some)
    A multitude of in-game achievements combined with Steam achievements for non-stop achievement earning game play to the point of distraction if you like achievements.
    Exposes the other two games for what they are; incomplete and unfinished.