The Cat God Returns: Secret World Issue Three Goes Live

By Nathan Grayson on September 27th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Well now, here’s a pleasant surprise. The Secret World’s second batch of story content took its sweet time – admittedly with good reason – but Issue Three‘s already sneaked up on unsuspecting players and pounced. Much like a cat. A cat who’s also god. (As opposed to a cat who’s also a dog – which is this thing.) Among other things, “The Cat God” kicks off TSW’s first ever seasonal event, which will unfold as Halloween approaches and star the felonious feline deity itself. That, however, is only one of the many baddie-filled goodies that awaits you. Nonchalantly rub up against the break while purring and pretending you don’t notice it to find out about the others.

Issue Three’s also packing a few new missions – of which this one’s easily the most enticing.

“‘The Binding’ brings you to the City of the Sun God in Egypt to learn more about the Seven Sentinels. This truly epic investigation mission is definitely one of the most challenging and extensive in The Secret World and will offer even the most hardened puzzle solvers a run for their money.”

I do so love it when TSW makes my brain squirm and squelch in horrible agony. Meanwhile, if you’re more of a rough-and-tumble, fur-and-fangs sort, “Dogs of War” will see you knocking off commanders in a war between vampires and werewolves. Beyond that, there’s a full set of Lair missions, and more updates to Lairs are apparently on the way.

So all told, Issue Three’s not nearly as hefty as Issue Two, but then, you might not even be done with Issue Two yet. Meanwhile, Issue Four’s already in development under the newfound supervision of Joel Bylos, so The Secret World’s got an interesting couple months ahead of it. Well, unless you’ve already burnt yourself out on all those other games that prominently feature cat gods, anyway.

, .

bglamb says:

I wish I could understand why I don’t like playing the Secret World. I was more excited about it than any game I can remember, and loved so many things about it. And it seems to fulfill all of its promises. I just can’t actually bring myself to play it any more, and I don’t really know why. I didn’t even last my free month.

I feel like I owe it to Ragnar and the team (and myself, somehow) to play it anyway. Like I’m responsible for the death of good games by not choosing to enjoy it. It’s a very strange feeling all round!

• Flukie says:

If you don’t want to play it then it’s not really a good enough game for drawing you in.

• Dave says:

They really tried to make it as compelling as possible. As far as voice acting, quest cutscenes, and general mystique is concerned, they succeeded afaic. I also stopped playing however, because of Egypt.

What I loved in particular were the many references to Stephen King’s and Lovecraft’s books and obscure characters in New England (The Black House, The Mist, Dreamcatcher, The Shining, The Talisman, characters like sheriff Bannerman, Danny Dufresne,…). For me, as a King fan, that was great.

In Egypt, the “feel” of the game somewhat changed for me. The story was no longer as gripping as it was. I could’ve gone all the way to the end in New England and not get bored.

Also, the combat wasn’t my cup of tea.

• DK says:

Because a good story and great characters doesn’t make up for terrible combat, terrible gameplay and a game constantly dragged down by the fact that it’s multiplayer and there’s other idiots doing the exact same thing, saving the exact same people, at the exact same time you are.

• Baardago says:

Maybe it’s the game’s mechanics themselves?

I’m actually extremely tempted by TSW. It’s like the damnable game is standing right there, in front of me, holding out some proverbial catnip and beckoning me closer with a malicious, money-hungry grin.

But I keep hearing (and seeing) stuff regarding some of it’s mechanics – mostly combat – and that kind of puts me off. The monthly sub doesn’t help, either.

Main point : has it gone F2P, yet?

2. flipflop mcbop says:

I really do think adding content is not what this game needs right now. It may be more beneficial in the short to medium term to put more effort into resolving some of the gameplay issues.

Certainly from my time playing it I loved the content, I just couldn’t face fighting the mechanics of some of the gameplay. With a monthly fee the tolerance of even minor issues is already at rock bottom. Even with its issues I’d be playing this right now if it was free, dipping in and out of the store to buy myself fluff depending on how flush I felt/drunk I was. :)

Such a shame, but not seeing any signs of them actually addressing the underlying issues and turning things around.

• Fr0stbeard says:

I don’t think it’s necessarily an either/or proposition. Developing content is a very different sort of job than working on systems.

Oozo says:

“Mario, what do you get when you cross an insomniac, an unwilling agnostic and a dyslexic?”

“I give.”

“You get someone who stays up all night torturing himself mentally over the question of whether or not there’s a dog.”

Also: Nathan, did you, per chance, forget to put a link under “this thing”? One like this?

Damn, that show was disturbing.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

This is a game I’d be all over if I could play it at my own pace. But a monthly fee makes it far too expensive for the two or three of evenings a month I could devote to it. So, no Secret World for me. :(

• Torn says:

It’ll F2P eventually, I might check it out when it does.

• The Random One says:

Likewise. Hell, since they actually are delivering their monthly updates I might even join if they just scrapped the purchase cost and kept the subs.

5. Josh W says:

Is that a cheshire cat in the hat? I hope he has boots!