Today’s Beast Game Idea: Beast Boxing Turbo

By Jim Rossignol on September 27th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

I’ve always said that the PC needs more first-person boxing games, and so I must extend my gratitude to Good Hustle, developers Beast Boxing Turbo. It’s not hard to guess where they take the game: you box lizards, you box trolls, you box skeletons, you box demons – all in a lovely hand-drawn art style. It’s just about beasts getting a thump up the bracket, basically. And they look good while they’re doing it. I am not sure how “turbo” relates to it, but I am guessing it’s one of those suffixes that are automatically added to games dependent on genre, without any real reason.

Anyway, you’re probably definitely going to want to see skeletons get punched with bright-red boxing gloves, so there’s a video below for that. The game will be released “soon”.

, .

1. zebramatt says:

Finally, a proper reason to plug my Dual X Arcade into my PC!

2. Alextended says:

Looks like Punch Out!! x Wii Sports Boxing only worse.

3. Vagrant says:

WANT.

4. The Random One says:

As someone who hates fantasy I can say that looks quite interesting.

I wish more devs were willing to think outside the box like this.

5. Mr. Mister says:

Is there any first person boxer where you use two mice?

• markb10101 says:

What… as… gloves? Sicko!

• Sinomatic says:

This is GENIUS.

I was just thinking that it would seem quite unsatisfying to play a game like this just clicking away at the mouse buttons….But two mice = move the arms? That makes it sound not just playable, but stupidly fun.

Why *aren’t* there any games that use two mice? Why is that not a thing? (Maybe there are and I just don’t know it?)

6. fallingmagpie says:

Shame that at 17s when you get knocked out, the viewpoint doesn’t fall backwards when the arms do. Maybe they can still fix that. Looks fun tho!

7. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Would be awesome with Windows Kinect

8. danimalkingdom says:

Ahem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHKnU-YkOE4

But seriously, I love the art style. A much better illustrated look than Borderlands’, which is kinda fugly.

• Hunchback says:

What happened with proper sci-fi movies anyways?

Last thing i saw, that was plausible, was Prometheus, and that’s the first since… forever. :S

• Lemming says:

How is it I’ve never heard of this? :O

• YogSo says:

In my case, the name Arena didn’t ring any bells, but as soon as I’ve seen ‘Lt. Commander Ivanova’ in there, it has all come to me. Funnily enough, I hadn’t really forgotten about this movie, but for some reason my memories of it had been mixed with Robot Jox, which, sure enough, is listed on the related videos column as well.

• arccos says:

Looks like I found tonight’s viewing! Thanks!

9. squareking says:

Ah nice, a Super Punch Out!!-alike. Looks like an Ace Team joint.

10. Lemming says:

Anyone else find it a bit weird that it’s normal boxing gloves in this spikey, monster-filled world and not big spikey gauntlets? Bit strange, IMO.

• Hunchback says:

If you consider “flaming” to be “normal”, i guess…

• Lemming says:

I was just looking at the screen shot. The Bright red boxing gloves. Surely this should be spikey knuckle fist-fighting?

• goodhustle says:

Hey, I’m the dev – more glove variations are available in the new gear system, which I added in since working on this video last month. No spikes! But there’s cool stuff in there nonetheless.

11. jmexio says:

“(…) monsters fight for fame and fortune. You are the first human to try.” I am guessing the protagonist tricked the dumb troll in charge of registration by showing him those green arms. ^_^

12. TsunamiWombat says:

I just had massive flashbacks to Power Punch 2, the Psuedo Sequel to Punch Out!! on the NES

13. RegisteredUser says:

I never did get past the last 2-3(Soda Popinski revisited and the second Sandman dude I think before MT) guys on Mike Tyson’s punch-out.

To be honest, I am not sure how large an audience this is going to have. Feels like a pretty big challenge to make the actual gameplay fun and addictive in some way.

(Wonder if the genre would benefit of or be hurt by RPG elements, or buffs, streetfighter like combos, etc)

14. brulleks says:

Woohoo! It’s Frank Bruno’s Boxing with beasts!

Excellent stuff.

Edit: urgh, sorry – first video I found. Don’t listen to the voiceover.