Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy

By Nathan Grayson on September 28th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

That is the name of an actual videogame that exists.If you’re wondering why it has enough titles for roughly 60 games, it’s because Half Minute Hero‘s actually made up of, well, roughly 60 games. They don’t, however, take half a life to finish, because each one is – yes – 30 seconds long. And really, what else can you even do in 30 seconds? Water a plant? Pet a cat? Wait precisely that long for your coffee to cool and then still burn yourself anyway? No thanks. I think I’ll just save the entire world instead. Or maybe eat a cookie. Hm, this is a dilemma.

If you hadn’t already guessed, HMHSMNCUB is a remarkably silly thing. It’s like the first time you realized putting a video on fast-forward (with sound, naturally) is pure comedy gold. It’s a JRPG minus all the long-winded spurts of melodramatic cheese and tedious pitter-patter patty-cake battles. Battles unfold in the blink of an eye, and every single segment gets its own credits sequence. For some reason, that joke never stops being funny.

And while the series may have originated on the PSP of all things, the Steam version’s definitely not lacking for content. HMHSMNCUB includes all content from every handheld/console version, including a 300 second final chapter and Knight 30, Hero 30, and Evil Lord 30 bonus modes. There are also leaderboards for each.

You can grab HMHSMNCUB now on Steam for a discounted $8.99, if it sounds up your alley. Then you can try to pronounce that acronym phonetically, black out from senses-overwhelming pain, and realize that yeah, OK, maybe you should’ve just gone with the cookie.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. kikito says:

This comment is 8-bit style.

• PopeJamal says:

Having wasted the formative years of my childhood playing 8-bit games, I can safely say that at least half or those games were more “16-bit” style than “8-bit”. Too many pixels and too many colors.

Also, your comment was more like 224 bits or so, whereas, my comment is 2440 bits.

Now, get off my lawn!

• KDR_11k says:

Having grown up on the PC I understand 8-bit to mean VGA or SVGA running 256 colors (8 bit per pixel) as opposed to the 4 bit of EGA (or VGA in 640×480), 2 bit of CGA or 1 bit of Tandy.

• PopeJamal says:

Very good point. I immediately think of 8-bit as the 8-bit Nintendo or Sega consoles. I think they had a whopping 52 colors for the Nintendo and 664 colors for the Sega system.

I still remember my Tandy computer. That’s where I played Monkey Island and Kings Quest. Also Police Quest and Chuck Yeager’s flight sim. And a guy in high school gave me a disk with 4-color CGA girlie pictures on it…

I’m an old man living in a sci-fi future!

2. Jekhar says:

Quite funny and hectic game, although the trailer is a bit misleading. The single adventures last longer than 30 seconds each. Time is paused in towns to allow you shopping and you need to rewind time frequently at goddess statues to complete your objective.

3. JackDandy says:

I played it on the PSP awhile back, it was pretty whimsical, but not really I’d pay money for.

thekeats1999 says:

The PC version is probably the best of both worlds. It comes with both the graphics of the PSP version (8-bit style) and the console version (the cartoon style). Plus it has all the modes that where dropped from the console version, such as goddess mode.

Fun little game, will pick it up tonight.

• Trent Hawkins says:

neat. The alternative modes were great.

Odd this game isn’t on the droid market. the levels were the prefect length to play on the go.

5. Gnoupi says:

You > Evil

6. trjp says:

The core game – the 30 second ‘dash’ concept – is absolutely brilliant in every possible way.

Some of the other subgames are less brilliant – they’re never crap but they grate after a while.

It was perfect PSP fodder – it would work on phones etc. – not really sure it’s a PC thing and I disliked the makeover they gave the 360 version – but each to their own

• Gnoupi says:

The PC version has also the classic graphics, along with the makeover.

• Jekhar says:

You know, sometimes options screens have more things to play around with than brightness and volume. Even on the console toys. The 8-bit mode was selectable in the 360 version

• trjp says:

I know that – I just said I didn’t like the makeover, I didn’t say there wasn’t an alternative to it :)

• KDR_11k says:

The Super Mega Neo Climax version ditched the minigames from what I heard, instead replacing them with standard levels.

• Zhuinden says:

However, the PC version has both the console thing which replaced them with standard levels (WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT) but apparently by switching the “Graphics Mode” to Retro, you can access all the PSP classic minigames as well.
        Technically, you buy two games in one. That’s kinda cool, right?

7. Mitchk says:

Humhussmuncub?

phlebas says:

McPixel as JRPG?

• onyhow says:

More like McPixel is Half Minute Hero as adventure game, considering that HMH originally came out in 2009…

• KDR_11k says:

I don’t think they’re really related, McPixel only allows one action per scene and is generally very uncomplicated and still continues after a failure, it’s definitely more like Wario Ware which is from 2003. HMH has significantly more complex levels.

9. Totally heterosexual says:

Wait this was already in steam?

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME

10. GernauMorat says:

Absolutely loved this on the psp, looking forward to it

11. Buemba says:

The HD graphics are awful, I’m glad they kept the original 8-bit style in there.

Hero 30 and Princess 30 are a ton of fun and well worth $9. Didn’t like the other 2 modes when I played this on the PSP, though.

12. pakoito says:

You should remind everyone that if this succeeds, XSEED will bring more of their games, the meaty ones, from its back catalog.

GO BUY IT NAO.

• Chizu says:

But the PC version has absolutely nothing to do with XSEED.
      If you want to influence their bringing things to PC, you need to be buying the Ys games. (Though I think those have been successful enough to prove the market on steam exists)

• pakoito says:

> The best things you can do to see more games from us on Steam is pick up this game and let us know you are interested in others. I can’t give you any specific hints, but if the game sells reasonably well, I personally would like to see us doing something *grand* on the PC. I think others would too, but first I have to show my bosses it’s a lucrative platform.

So go buy it.

• Chizu says:

Oh. Grand Knights History on steam?
          I really fucking wanted that game :(
          I hope that happens.

• DOLBYdigital says:

I doubt they can do this since MMV/XSEED only published this but Muramasa and other Vanillaware and Grasshopper games would be a god-send for PC gamers. I love those games!! I agree that we need more diverse devs bringing their games to PC in general. I’ll look at some videos and decide if I can plunk down the dough… I could just eat leftovers and skip getting that shake and cheesesteak today and its paid for…

• Delusibeta says:

The developer is the parent company of XSEED.

FunktionJCB says:

The game is a simple, but quite fun diversion that parodies the JRPG genre.
    They clearly put a bit of effort on the PC version, among other things by the inclusion of all the content from the previous versions (including modes missing from the Xbox 360 version, so this wasn’t a straight port).

It’s also worth noting that this is a first attempt by Marvelous to crack into the PC market, and if this game is successful they are planning further incursions on “our” platform, including the sequel to this game and a few other titles that are usually never released on PC, which is a good prospect. The more genres and titles we have on PC, the more options and diversity, the better.

14. Chizu says:

I owned this on the PSP, but instantly picked up the steam version. As I loved the PSP version.
    Whilst I don’t really care for the new “Neo” graphical style, that makes it look like a flash game found on Newgrounds, I am very glad they kept the option to use the PSP versions 8bit style.
    And the multiplayer option is kind of great.

15. DickSocrates says:

I hate JRPGs and have never played more than an hour of any. Would I even get the joke of this game without being steeped in JRPGness?

16. Dr I am a Doctor says:

It’s the laziest, worst port. They didn’t even fix that stupid overworld typo.

17. Randomer says:

Nathan’s mini-review seems promising. Think we could get a proper WIT on this?

18. Joof says:

If you don’t buy this game, you’re killing PC gaming more than everyone who bought Diablo 3 combined.

• mwoody says:

Man, not buying this AND bought & liked Diablo 3. I’m a right bastard.

19. frightlever says:

Bought this in the Steam Sale. Nathan, you didn’t rave enough. This game is genius.

I actually bought it thinking it was a different game. The one where you have a few seconds to solve each screen. Which game was that? Still, serendipity.