The RPS Bargain Bucket: Price of Admission

By Lewie Procter on September 29th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

I’ve been following my usual Saturday morning routine of hunting around for the best PC gaming download deals for your to consider purchasing, although with a little more urgency than usual today. I’m about to pop along to the Eurogamer Expo (E2), as soon as I’ve had a shower and shoved some bacon and tea down my gullet I’ll jump on the tube to Earl’s Court. If you aren’t at the Expo too, perhaps some of this selection of cheap games could give you something fun to do over the weekend. For more gaming deals hit up SavyGamer.co.uk.

Square Enix Promo at GOG
A bangin’ selection if ever there was one. You’ve got all the Theif games, several of the Legacy of Kain games, Deus Ex, Anachronox and more, all of them for not very much each. Here’s the 10th anniversary special RPS verdict on the original Deus Ex, if you’ve not yet heard, it’s a bit good. Mr Walker has also done a Thief retrospective for that there Eurogamer.net.

The Adventures of Shuggy, Chime, Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble!, Hector: Badge of Carnage & The Network – £3.39 at time of writing.
All except The Network register on Steam.
As usual with the Indie Royale bundles, the price will be fluctuating over time as outlined here. Some fella going by the name of Kieron seemed to have a bit of a crush on Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble! and Chime, and John gushed praise all over The Adventures Of Shuggy too. One of the better Indie Royale bundles, I’d say.

Prototype – £3.75
Shame about the disappointing sequel and effective closure of the studio (condemned to an eternity providing support for “other existing Activision Publishing projects”), but I really liked the original Prototype. The city is a bit drab. Most of the missions are either the same wonky stealth missions over and over again, or “go to a checkpoint, watch a cutscene, and then kill the baddies”. But! It gives you a big city in which to wreck shit, it lets you run and jump from skyscraper to skyscraper, it lets you throw cars at a helicopter and then throw the helicopter wreckage at other cars, and it lets you jump in a tank and run over hundreds of not-zombies. Great fun, although I’d suggest skipping all the cutscenes and not bothering with the story. I did bother with the story and wish I hadn’t. Alec wrote down his opinion on this here.

Batman: Arkham City [Goatee Edition] & Binary Domain – £10/€12/$15
Binary Domain registers on Steam.
There’s actually six games to pick from in this two for a tenner deal, but by my reckoning those two are the best value. John didn’t get on too well with Binary Domain, but I’ve heard a lot of people swear by it. Not tried it myself yet. Arkham City is excellent though. In Adam’s words:

It’s not just more of the same. It’s more of everything else as well, which can be detrimental. But despite perhaps sounding overly critical of some aspects, I wouldn’t hesitate to say it’s one of the best games I’ve played this year. There is an enormous amount to do and now that I’m finished, I feel free to do it, no longer constrained by the fate of Gotham I can solve all those side stories. And even though I have a redwood-like backlog, I think that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

Deal of the week
The Binding of Isaac – 99p
Also: Wrath of the Lamb expansion – 49p
I’ll be straight with you here, this came out a year ago, and nothing that’s been released since has really grabbed me in the same way. I’ve spent hundreds of hours diving into the depths of Edmund McMillen’s imagination, expanding my understanding of the hidden complexity in the network of overlaid systems like the economy, items, upgrades, trinkets and exploration. The only possible reason not to buy it is that you’re waiting for the new version, no longer running on flash and with lots of new content, tweaks and features. But it’s hard to imagine how anyone wouldn’t be able to get a good amount of enjoyment from the price of admission here, and perhaps there will be a loyalty discount available for the new version if you own the original already. Read Adam’s thoughts on this here, and the RPS verdict here.

For more games that cost less than you might expect them to, hit up SavyGamer.co.uk.

__________________

« | »

1. Blackcompany says:

Bought Arkham City for cheap on steam sale. Once I figured out how to play offline, instead if using GFWL (save on local profile) I enjoyed it. For a bit. But combat gets old fast, & the game us very repetitive. Excellent writing, for the mist part, but I think it would gave benefitted from a sense of progression lacking in sandbox games.

• Lemming says:

“But combat gets old fast,[...]

I…I’m stumped.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

You press a button, and Batman is magnetically propelled to the next baddie.It’s boring, man!

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

In my experience of playing on hard difficulty, playing for longer than 20 minutes, and going for combos (which serve as an XP multiplier), that’s a pretty simplistic summary of the fights, and doesn’t hold true very far in to the game. But to each their own. I can see how it wouldn’t be for everyone.

• alundra says:

If you are going to get Arkham City be be aware of this:

Important information from WB Games if you purchased more than 180 days ago:
      “We do not replace codes beyond 180 days of purchase.

Mario.M

WB Games Support”

That was the reply I got when I asked for new, working CD-key.

As it’s basically a disposable game, you might want for the price to go lower.

• stupid_mcgee says:

A “disposable” game? Did you even read the thread you linked? The guy got it sorted out and it apparently had something to do with his GFWL profile not being downloaded. AKA: user error.

It is NOT a disposable game. Why would you need another CD Key after 180 days? That’s 6 months worth of time to register your key. Once you register, it does not expire. This isn’t like install limits or anything (which you can get reset).

Your entire post is misleading.

• wastelanderone says:

How much more disposable can you get than £5 anyway?

2. Persus-9 says:

No love for pay-what-you-want for Escape Goat? Fair enough I guess since the other entries are so strong but it is a good little platformer. Also Indie Game Stand is a pretty interesting concept for a store, one pay-what-you-want game for sale at a time changing every four days. I guess the problem is no one offer is ever going to make the same sort of splash as a bundle. Worth people keeping an eye on in case something they’re interested in comes up though I reckon. https://indiegamestand.com/

• seamoss says:

I logged in to say pretty much the same thing. I’ve often not bought a bundle because there was only a game or two in it that I really wanted (like the Indie Royale bundle with Escape Goat) so it’s great to be able to buy indie games “a la carte” for a buck or two.

And Escape Goat is a *great* little platformer (even though a bit “random” sometimes). I’m surprised that it has sold less than 600 copies so far even though it’s PWYW and you get a Desura key for $1.

• MondSemmel says:

I agree Escape Goat is great, though I already bought it in a previous bundle. On that note, the dev, MagicalTimeBean, also made the two Soulcaster games (available on PC, too), and he made the music for his games himself, too. And the music is amazing…
      Escape Goat is also on Greenlight.
      Great games all around.

• The Random One says:

Yeah, it’s weird that RPS hasn’t even reported on Indie Game Stand. It seems like it will be a constant source of nice deals.

• Lewie Procter says:

Cheers for the heads up, I’d not noticed this deal until you mentioned it.

• Persus-9 says:

Oh dear, I do think it is a bit remiss of Indie Game Stand to not give you a heads up. If I were launching a new games store I’d be sure to spam the heck out of anyone running offer round-ups on major games sites. Burying SpaceChem in a Sunday to Thursday slot where it won’t get into anyones weekend deal round-ups also doesn’t seem that smart. I like their idea but I do feel they’re missing a few tricks.

• drewski says:

On the plus side, you mentioning it in the comments here has probably quadrillionpled their audience. I certainly wouldn’t have known about it, but I bought it.

3. Chizu says:

That GOG Squeenix sale is right on time, I was just planning on picking up the Soul Reaver games, and now I can at a fraction of the price. Marvelous.

• Chizu says:

Side note:
      Why is Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain not included in that sale :’(

Oh well, I’ll buy that later, hopefully they’ll add the original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain sometime aswell.

• kud13 says:

Same Reason Urban Chaos wasn’t included. Both were 50%off earlier this month when they were brought onto GOG.

And yes, Blood Omen 1 is on top of my GOG wishlist (a fraction above System Shock 2)

4. zebramatt says:

Yup, I bought Soul Reaver I through III (Legacy of Kain: Defiance). Now just to get a controller!

• Bhazor says:

Bought Thief 1 & 2 in honour of the recent patch.

I never played the first game so I’m looking forward to finally trying it out this week.

• Pemptus says:

Brotip: It’s not considered a crime against the universe to actually skip the two levels added in the Gold version of Thief 1, if you get frustrated with them. Both the Thieves’ Guild and the Mage Towers are decidedly worse in terms of level design than the rest. There’s an keyboard button combo that skips missions, it’s easy to find on the googlez.

• Sigh says:

Protip: it IS considered a crime against the universe to use the term “Brotip”.

• Casimir's Blake says:

It’s also a crime against the universe to suggest ANY of the original Thief / Thief Gold levels in any way suck. Because they don’t.

• Pemptus says:

Let’s just say that sometimes there’s a reason stuff gets cut from the final version.

Disclaimer: Thief is my favourite game.

5. Blob-World-Eye-Weary says:

There another indie budile up right now, you should check it out http://www.humblebundle.com/ . It has ten games; Rochard, Shatter, Space Pirates And Zombies, torchlight, Vessel, Dustforce, Bit.trip runner, Gratuitious Space Battles, Jamestown, Wizorb. The average is at 6.23 USD at the moment with 3 days left!

6. Fox89 says:

Highlight on Steam at the moment: 75% off everything Total War. Every game since Rome in a mega-combo for £25, plus some related TF2 goodies I think.

• Delusibeta says:

Sadly, all of the DLC for Empire, Napoleon and Samurai 2 seems to have omitted from the bundle, which is a crying shame.

• Baines says:

They are also changing the 75% off title each day, for the few days of the sale. Today it is Medievil 2 for 75% and Shogun 1 for 50%. Useful to keep track of if you only want/need one or two titles, not the whole bundle.

Though if you want Shogun 2 alone, GreenManGaming apparently just put it at 75% off?

7. Keith Nemitz says:

Here’s proof that supporting indies helps to grow the variety of games. Without the IndieRoyale, it would be hard for me to complete my next game, 7 Grand Steps. (a strategy game about guiding family generations through the ages) So a big thanks to those who buy it for DHSGiT and The Witch’s Yarn.

There are a lot of us indie devs earning barely enough to survive but are flying under the radar. These bundles are a great opportunity for gamers as well as devs.

8. Paul says:

Binary Domain was my surprise of the year. Such a great writing coupled with satisfying action. The way those robots got smashed…so good. Recommended.

• apocraphyn says:

I really enjoyed it too. It was kinda like a stereotypical blockbuster sci-fi action movie, only one you could actively take part in. Setpiece, giant boss, explosions, giant boss, setpiece, giant explosions!!! Very, very fun.

(The voice command gimmick worked terribly, however. Tried to register all the commands in the settings before beginning the game and spent a large amount of time shouting “fuck” and “shit” at the monitor, much to my girlfriend’s confusion/amusement).

9. h4rdb0iled says:

50% off all cryptic comet games – solium infernum etc… 1 day left!
    use code OCCULT

• MythArcana says:

That’s right! Shop til you drop now ’cause supplies are going fast!

• NathanH says:

For someone who only plays against the machine, which do I buy? I heard somewhere that the AI can’t play the demon game competently.

• Kaira- says:

Try Armageddon Empires or Six Gun Saga. AI can’t really handle Solium Infernum well, which is a shame.

• Randomer says:

I’ve had no problems playing Solium Infernum against the AI. In fact, I’ve only played it against the AI, and I’ve enjoyed it quite a bit. I’d like to play against people at some point. I might be buying an extra copy just for that, since it’s very hard to convince one friend, let alone 3, to plop down $20+ for an awesome yet extremely complex multiplayer experience.

10. Odrum says:

I always feel guilty when people mention the Binding of Isaac. I wanted to like that game so very much, but it ended up just being a crappy roguelike bolted onto a crappy arcade shooter.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I have a hard time understanding how anybody could possibly get hundreds of hours of entertainment out of it, much less four or five hours. It’s a weak Flash shooter with no gamepad support made by a developer who is apparently a huge dick.

• nearly says:

tried the demo. didn’t like it. didn’t understand why people would want to buy/play it. saw it on sale for 1$ during the summer. bought it.

there’s something about it or a certain point where it draws me in. I had the same experience with Dark Souls, although I was much more interested in that. it’s well-designed and it all fits into an interesting/unique aesthetic. I try it every now and then when I’m bored since it loads fast and if I’m not enjoying it, I can get out of it pretty quick with no qualms.

• seamoss says:

Amen, brother! I was beginning to think that I was the only one who couldn’t figure out what the big deal was. *And* it runs like crap on my machines. *And*, as someone who has played “roguelikes” since the late 80s, it’s not a “roguelike” (if it ain’t turn-based, it ain’t rogue).

• BubuIIC says:

What I find fascinating about the game is the complete randomness. After ca. 40 hours of playing it you still discover new items, secret rooms or whatever at every playthrough. Or variants of bosses which never before appeared. There are around 200 unique items, which do quite a lot of different things and do even more things when combined.

As for Edmund McMillen, why would you say he is a huge dick? I find him one of the most inspiring and passionate developers out there. If you have the time I can really recommend watching this 1.5h interview he did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDDSYnZfxTM
        You can learn a lot about game design and development there and he also talks about his personal life and how he got into game development.

• MondSemmel says:

A few reasons why _I personally_ enjoyed BoI tremendously:
      - Enjoyable setting/at least the religious connotations don’t bother me at all; on the other hand, I prefer this to, say, a standard fantasy world.
      - Variety – the game simply contains tons of stuff. It gets deeper and deeper for, probably, the first 20 or so hours of playing…On that matter, some roguelikes are only fun until one understands their inner workings. In contrast, BoI remains fun even after one understands its rules.
      - Skill-basedness: Roguelikes can easily end up being unfair. I haven’t played FTL, but from what Alec wrote, all that randomness sounds totally unappealing. In contrast, you can finish BoI without losing a single heart. Despite the randomness, nothing automatically kills you: There’s even a pill that injures you, _except_ when it would kill you. If it did, this would feel profoundly unfair. In BoI, your deaths are usually somehow your own fault – just like in Super Meat Boy. Death is punishing without being frustrating.

And I don’t see what makes the game a “crappy” roguelike or a “crappy” arcade shooter, or why anybody would care that it’s Flash-based (except, of course, when that makes the game unplayable for old PCs).
      EDIT: And finally, I wish the “it’s not a roguelike” complaint (as seen above) went the way of the dinosaurs. It’s just tiresome. Drop it. Who cares about labels?

• seamoss says:

When people stop saying it’s a roquelike, I’ll stop saying it’s not a roquelike.

• The Random One says:

Then get ready to say it a lot, because BoI and Spelunky showed everyone that roguelike mechanics can be applied to other genres and calling them roguelikelikes will probably stop being funny eventually.

• malkav11 says:

Roguelikes are almost always like that: if you die, there was usually something you did that was a very bad idea, or something you should have done but didn’t. What makes Binding of Isaac problematic for me is that it requires meshing that knowledge of the game with twitch reflexes that I simply don’t have.

• belgand says:

For me it wasn’t the gameplay, but the extremely juvenile sense of humor. It just made it not very much fun to play.

11. werix says:

Also at gamersgate Silent hunter 3 and 4 are both only $2.99. Picked up SH4 with some blue coins I had sitting around. Mostly, its sub combat for the cost of a cup of coffee. Thank god SH4 has options to let the game auto calculate torpedo trajectories.

12. djbriandamage says:

The Secret World is 50% off this weekend:

13. malkav11 says:

I have trouble understanding why anyone who liked the first Prototype (and to be fair, plenty of people didn’t) would be disappointed by the sequel, which is every bit the leapy glidy joyful murderfest that the first one was, with better graphics, more tightly tuned gameplay, cool new powers to play with, and less frustrating nonsense. Yes, the story is awful and the writing poor, but this was true of the first game as well. (Albeit to a less sweary degree.)

14. Logan Booker says:

Our title, Zafehouse: Diaries, is also on sale, 33% off until Monday.

• DerShcraa says:

Cool game!
      Put about 4 hours in it but have yet to win.
      After dabbling around a bit it does seem a bit easy, though.
      Are there any plans for difficulty settings or somesuch?
      Also a bit more equipment or more diverse upgrades would be nice.
      I’m sure I’ve only discovered a fraction of the content, so don’t take this too harsh.
      Reminds me very much of Vic Davis’s games.

The demo is pretty restricted, but worth trying out.

15. The Random One says:

You ate bacon and tea together? Lewie, don’t you know it’s dangerous to mix your stereotypes?

16. smegjacob says:

I just want to leave here a warning about the Hector games. Stay away from them, unless you for some inexplicable raeson really enjoy your protagonists to be disgusting raging bigots. I mean, at one point in his monologue Hector even flippantly admit to being a rapist.

For some reason I haven’t stopped playing then and, what surprise, Hector ends up being the only person who could save the town from destruction without him changing or self reflecting at any point in the game. He’s painted by the narrative as a hero who just do what must be done and whose bigotry and misanthropy is only a harmless quirk.

Really, it just bring back everything shitty about all the 90′s “edgy and un-PC” games. It’s quite disgusting and sad; the second episode especially is just chockfull of misogyny (one subplot is pretty much just a protracted line of rape jokes). Also – fat hatred, so much of it.

• SkittleDiddler says:

You seem to have something against rape and rape jokes in particular.

• Jim Rossignol says:

“You seem to have something against rape”

Hrm.

• smegjacob says:

Well, you are an awful and contemptible human being, if you don’t. Simple as that.

• Keith Nemitz says:

Even something as clearly evil as rape is not black and white.

• Prime says:

I enjoyed reading that, Keith Nemitz, thanks. Loved this portion of it:

You’re exactly right. That is how comedy gets made. So CONSIDER THIS YOUR FUCKING FEEDBACK. Ninety percent of your rape material is not working, and you can tell it’s not working because your audience is telling you that they hate those jokes. This is the feedback you asked for.

If people don’t want to be offended, they shouldn’t go to comedy clubs? Maybe. But if you don’t want people to react to your jokes, you shouldn’t get on stage and tell your jokes to people.

But I’d argue with your point and say that the article makes it absolutely clear – black and white clear – which jokes about rape are acceptable and which aren’t. Those that make fun of the victim are not acceptable and should never be. Your man Tosh in the article there was out-and-out over the line. If that woman had been black he’d never have made a joke about her getting to the back of the bus, because he would know that’s not acceptable and there’d have been an almighty shit-storm from it. So what on earth made him think the prospect of having an audience member gang-raped right there in front of everyone was in any way funny, and that he the perfect right to say what he wanted without being called on it?

Also, I’d like to make it extra clear that having the subject of rape as an acceptable topic for comedy, when handled cleverly and with some sensitivity to your potential audience, is NOT, in any way, saying that rape itself should ever be condoned.

• Keith Nemitz says:

Prime, I’m positive that most of those ‘approved’ rape jokes would be considered offensive by many people. I’ve heard very recently that “There’s nothing funny about rape”. An absolute statement like that defines the black and white. That there are some rape jokes approved by respectable people, creates the gray.

17. Prime says:

Bought the Binding of Issac and content expansion. Can’t go wrong for £1.50, right? First impressions, however, were not awesome:

“Want to play with a gamepad? Go here, download this (JoyToKey), learn how to use it – I can’t be bothered.”

Kinda happy I only paid £1.50 for this. I’d have been happier if you just didn’t support it, perhaps drop the word ‘currently’ in there, rather than telling me to sort a solution out for myself. Makes you look lazy. Makes me feel hard-done-to even though it’s probably a piece of piss to set up, albeit not as easy as your game doing it for me would have been. We shall see how the game itself pans out.

Comment on this story