Fall Off A Skycraper In CSGO’s Latest Big Update

By Nathan Grayson on October 2nd, 2012 at 11:00 am.

You may have outsmarted me, Partially Constructed Building, but I won't let you have the last laugh.

Did you think you’d login to Counter-Strike: Global Offensive today and find everything safe and sound – just where you left it? Well think again. And now you’re thinking things will be only slightly off – maybe a weapon stat turned on its side and a terrorist’s vest left slightly ajar? Well, think a second time. The latest update adds two new maps, makes “a wide range of fixes,” and completely overhauls Classic Competitive mode’s matchmaking.

Oh, and you can fall off a skyscraper. That’s probably the most important part. In addition to de_vertigo, an updated version of ar_monastery’s also on the docket. Meanwhile, the matchmaking switcheroo functions as follows:

“As of today, Classic Competitive will use a ‘Queue’ matchmaking system. When you search for a Competitive game, either from the Find a Game menu or the Play with Friends menu, you will be put in a queue. When we identify 10 compatible players then your match will start. If you get disconnected then you should use the Reconnect button on the main menu.”

“If you disconnect from your match then you can rejoin the in-progress match from the CS:GO main menu. You also have the option to abandon your match, although this is considered poor sportsmanship and is recorded. If you abandon a match then Classic Competitive will be unavailable for 30 minutes.”

So basically, don’t quit. It’s a very, very bad idea. And while the new system does enable team matchmaking, it seems rife with potential issues. With a lack of in-progress queues comes potential for increased wait times, and what happens if someone doesn’t like the map they’re on? At this point, your only options seem to be gritting your teeth and bearing the boredom, or quitting and standing on the sidelines for 30 minutes. Neither seems particularly optimal.

Valve does, however, note that it’ll be “monitoring and tuning the system over the time.” And, if nothing else, the update’s totally free, so CSGO looks to be another footnote in Valve’s history of exceedingly strong post-launch game support. How’s the update working out for everyone so far, though? Is Valve onto something, or does this one need to go back to the drawing board?

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. vonkrieger says:

Also bear in mind that one can have tonnes of fun with CS:GO without ever going anywhere near Classic Mode.

Great to hear that Valve are supporting the serious players.

• DuddBudda says:

I disagree

Smashbox says:

I find that disagreeable.

• The Random One says:

…you don’t like that Valve is supporting serious players?

liquidsoap89 says:

I think the problem here is if you want to play 5v5 matches, casual competitive was your best option. Now you have to wait in a queue, start on a map you most likely wont want to play first (and can’t change), and don’t you even THINK of leaving the game!

There’s no mid ground for people anymore. It’s pubs (which mainly consist of many player deathmatches) or queues. I like that this feels more competitive now (no matches in progress), but I don’t like that they removed the actual CASUAL part of it.

• DuddBudda says:

no, classic casual was untouched

classic competetive is the only mode which requires the new matchmaking

the problem is that casual mode supports up to 10 v 10, has no friendly fire, is only bo15, has the zeus, gives everyone kevlar and halves kill rewards

so casual is alive and kicking, competetive however is dramatically less accessible

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Classic mode is great, much better, at least in my opinion, than the other modes. Punishing people is not great.

“Serious” players can join clans, and leader boards. The rest of us would like quick, easy fun.

Sorry for coming off as hostile, I just reeeeeally do not like the new additions, as I feel they only make the game less enjoyable. If people want to play “serious” games, then they should join clans and tournaments, a matchmaking system, I feel, is for casual, drop-in drop-out games. (And I know there is still the “casual” mode, but the rule-set is far inferior, as gaining and losing money really is not that important.)

Petethegoat says:

Does it fix the constant crashing in spectate mode (which is unavoidable, unless you’re very very good)?
    The matchmaking sounds awful, but I suppose I’ll have to wait and see what it’s like in practice.

Petethegoat says:

I was right! It’s shit!
      Now, when your entire team quit, you’re left with a team of bots for the rest of the match, with no way to scramble teams, and you’re penalised for quitting.

e:
      Additionally, you only get banned from competitive matchmaking for ten minutes if you team kill, which is.. nice? The crashing hasn’t been fixed either. I’ve yet to see if it penalises you, though.

3. Untruth says:

I reckon this is partly to prevent wannabes who want to dive into Competitive because they’re “too good” for the more arcadey Classic mode. Competitive is full of some great players but there’s a little cohort of really obnoxious types who are just there to prove they are cool enough to be able to click “Competitive”. Otherwise known as “people on the internet”.

Often I see people quit the minute the game turns a bit sour, and I’ve seen many people dive in and out of Competitive and spend half their time voting for dust 2 rather than, you know, playing Counter-Strike.

• ch4os1337 says:

I LOVE this change, i’ve played a few great games of CS and im glad I finally get to play proper 5v5 without having so subscribe to ESEA.

4. Arkanos says:

Why is “the update’s totally free” considered a point in its favor? Isn’t this sort of… how updates work? DLC, sure, that’s a different bag. But updates? Updates are always free. This isn’t a point in CS:GO’s favor.

• zeroskill says:

So you are saying, because they don’t title this “FREE DLC” but and update, it is supposed to be free? Other companies sell content patches like this for money. All updates and content patches, no mather how big or how often, are free for Valve games. You should know that by now. They have been doing this for 10 years.

But hey, keep to your labels. Talking about limited thinking capabilities.

• Arkanos says:

Updates: Improving the game’s stability, performance, removing bugs, and adding content.
        DLC: Adding content.
        Content Packs: Adding content(aka, DLC)

See the difference? DLC and content packs are solely used for one thing. Updates are used for four.

Thus; “Free updates” is not a selling point. It is not a point in anything’s favor. Rather than free updates being a selling point, “Paid updates” are a point against a game. When I buy a game, I expect my updates to be free. Because my updates include such things as “making sure the game runs properly” and “making sure the game doesn’t murder all your progress”.

But hey, I’ll keep to my labels. Realistic expectations are my biggest sexual fetish. It’s a shame you had to go and insult me, at the end. ..|..

• zeroskill says:

Maps = Content.

Maps are being sold by most companies, as DLC. They don’t have to give this stuff to you for free.

The game was running perfectly fine even in Beta. They shipped a fit for purpose game at launch, for a rediculous low price. You are not entitled to anything.

• DuddBudda says:

maps based on designs made and distributed for free by community members over the last decade cannot be considered in the same light as CoD or BF’s wallet abusers

• ArthurBarnhouse says:

I don’t see why not. CoD is, in some instances, literally selling you maps from previous games with updated assets.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Outside of EA and Activision, which companies are charging for additional MPFPS maps? I think you’re blowing it out of proportion.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

The point is that Valve are giving out content for free. Something that is, sadly, the exception, not the rule in the current gaming industry. That surely gives them brownie points, no?

• subedii says:

You mean… outside of the two biggest publishers in the games industry?

Still, if we’re not counting those two HUGE examples, off the top of my head Epic does it with Gears of War (technically TPS, but that’s nitpicking), and Bungie do it with Halo.

A quick check on Steam reveals Section 8, Aliens vs Predator, and Homefront (the latter being THQ). On the first page.

• SkittleDiddler says:

You got me there, subedii, but being a pedant I would like to point out that none of those games are currently being actively developed for, and they haven’t been for a long time. That fact probably doesn’t make any difference to the debate, but there it is.

I don’t see what Activision and EA being AAA publishers has to do with the subject though.

5. Roz says:

Great, less noobs RQing is always good.

It’s still no 1.6 though..

• CRAYCRAY says:

Yeah, pretty much. This is a good change for the matchmaking, but that doesn’t really help much when the gameplay is still shit.

• derbefrier says:

shit is a bit harsh. I believe the word your looking for is “different”. I can imagine after playing 1.6 for so long and being really good at it coming to a new game and getting owned would cause this kind of reaction.

• CRAYCRAY says:

Are you seriously gonna pull that old card? It’s Counter-Strike. Jumping from 1.6 to GO does not suddenly require a new skillset and the differences in movement and recoil does not make you go from hero to zero. No one dislikes GO because they’re suddenly getting owned, because it doesn’t happen.

It’s not different, just worse. Bad movement, bad maps, bad economy, bad graphics, bad HUD, consolized menus. I can only think of two positives, the fact that the various teams and models have their own voice acting, and the shotguns. The shotguns are pretty fun to use.

Joshua says:

I won’t say the movement is bad. I actuallly like GO’s movement as opposed to CS 1.6’s instant movement. I personally also like the recoil much better as opposed to 1.6’s set in stone spray patterns. I like that wallbanging now makes sense.

I certainly would not call it shit. (Although I can see your point).

• CRAYCRAY says:

The movement just feels so boring and shallow compared to 1.6. You can’t peek over objects by tapping the crouch key in GO and you can’t slide around corners. You have less control in the air and there’s a stamina system in place to keep you from bunny hopping. 1.6’s movement has more depth and skill to it.

In the grand scheme of things, GO isn’t shit, but as a Counter-Strike game it’s a huge disappointment. Even more so than CS: Source. Because you’d think they’d learn, you’d think they would look at the graphs and say “hey, 1.6 is still being played more than Source, maybe we should try to understand why…”

Instead, they went to the Tower Defense developer they outsourced their Console-Strike project to and said “hey, port it to PC,” knowing full well the massive expectations from a new Counter-Strike.

6. KikYu0 says:

playing since 10 minutes and already 3 bots in enemy team ;/

7. kyrieee says:

Vertigo :) classic map

• D-e-f- says:

I came here to make a joke about them doing a map we played ten years ago called vertigo and then was kinda surprised to find out it actually was a remake of vertigo! Crazy! Even crazier that I even remembered the name even though I only played on that map like twice back in the day?

8. ProtoApex says:

Still no MMR system. This was for me one of the reason why I got GO, skill based matchmaking like Dota 2 and LoL. Hopefully they will patch that in soon.

• ch4os1337 says:

I believe ELO is enabled still (could be wrong) but they said it’s disabled from the UI only, so there *is* a ranking system in place and they are tweaking the settings.

9. DuddBudda says:

played three matches with the new matchmaker

game one, vertigo
    250+ searching for games
    wait eleven minutes
    3 t vs 4 cts, two t RQ third round, last guy soldiers on but quits because lame
    match lasts <10 minutes not including warm up

game two, dust II
    250+ searching for games
    wait nine minutes
    3 t vs 3 ct, one ct quits during warm up, next quits round four or five, last t finishes the match
    we win 16 – 0 boring as hell waste of 20 minutes

game three dust II
    250+ searching for games
    wait five minutes
    3 t vs 3 ct, all t RQ after they manage one non-bot kill in four rounds
    five minutes of pointlessness

for the first time in a month, I won't be playing GO this evening

• TechnicalBen says:

So, all in all, Valves experimenting with live gaming systems (IE not in their own office) is working well for you? Oh… no?

• DuddBudda says:

yeah, I guess I should have summarised

the matchmaker’s queue to find a game lasts as long as the game itself yet only manages to fill 60% of the player slots

• zeroskill says:

Hm, seems like it’s not working the way it is intended to, which is particular, especially considering it surely uses the same code the Dota 2 matchmaker uses. Which makes me find matches in approximately 5-10 seconds in the European region.

Granted, Dota 2 has a 4-5 times bigger user base at this time than CS:GO, but that can’t be the reason it isn’t working properly.

I take it this is in preparation for a ranked matchmaking system, (and the ranks arn’t implemented yet, as far as I know), same as in Dota 2, so i’m pretty sure this will work out in the end.

It’s not really an experiment they do since this is all already implemented and working in Dota 2. It’s only a question of porting the system over to CS:GO.

• DuddBudda says:

it isn’t as simple as porting the system over

Dota2 takes two minutes average to find me a match (england 80meg fibre optic) and a match lasts 30 to 90 minutes – when I sit down to play dota2 I expect to be there for an evening

CS is about low-downtime high-octane excitement – so a dota-style lobby system just doesn’t work, except for clans
            those of us who enjoy the classic comp rules but roll alone or in twos and threes are not playing for the epic bo30 battle of the century PUG vs Randoms, we’re playing for the 5v5, the economy and the friendly fire

this update made GO’s purest CS experience a drag, for no good reason

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

I tried playing using the matchmaking, twice.
      Gave up after 2 minutes of waiting.
      CS 1.6/CSS and CSGO all best lend themselves to ‘jump in and go’ play.
      No waiting bullcrap.

I just have a few community servers I frequently use. Pretty competitive still, same old faces, and hardly any smacktalk.

• CommanderZx2 says:

Just use the server browser.

• DuddBudda says:

to satisfy my shooter urges I want thirty rounds of tense and skillacious 5v5
        I don’t want 32 player clusterfucks saturated with molotovs where I’ll get banned for using an awp

• Joshua Northey says:

The awp is a horrible weapon that doesn’t belong in the game as is. People don’t fire awp’s on the run, or even standing really. on top of that hardware isn’t strong enough to have realistic maps yet, so there is about 1000X less cover than there is in real life.

It is just silly in its current form, and takes a lot of the dynamism out of the game.

I do agree that something like 8v8 with FF is best though, it is impossible to ever actually flank anyone on those 16vs16 meat fests.

• CRAYCRAY says:

The AWP is fine. Always have been.

Are you seriously bringing realism into a Counter-Strike discussion? Get that weak shit out of here.

• Joshua Northey says:

The GAMEPLAY would be better if the game were more realistic. That is a simple truth.

Having large sections of the map insta-death no-go zones makes high level play rather uninspiring. Once players are of a certain skill level it just becomes a who sees who first magic death lazer match, instead of “playing guns”. Frankly the magic death lazer match isn’t very fun or interesting.

• CRAYCRAY says:

It wouldn’t. That is a fact because I say so and my word is law. I am the law. Counter-Strike would be less interesting without the AWP. That is the simplest truth.

AWPs are countered by smokes, flashbangs, fakeflashes, peeking, flanking or by simply not challenging them.

Why do you comment on skill and high level plays when you clearly have no idea how competitive Counter-Strike plays out?

10. Outright Villainy says:

They definitely need to tweak the game settings to account for players leaving; if 2 people leave your team you should be free to quit without penalty. If more than 4 people quit total, the game should just end. There should be a forfeit vote for when you’re 10-0 down and just want to go have a nice cup of tea instead. That said, it’s a good idea. I’d like to see the old system in place alongside this one, as I prefer competitive rules to casual, but I think both systems have their place in the game.

11. The Godzilla Hunter says:

Who had the brilliant idea of making the game less fun? Seriously, the new matchmaking system is absolutely terrible. It basically means that, until they fix it, I will not be playing competitive (which is far better than casual, IMO).

I mean, I could maybe understand why you would have a system wherein you are punished for leaving the match in a MOBA, where someone leaving mid-way through the game basically screws the team, but who the heck cares about that in counterstrike, a game that is often fun to just play for 10-15 minutes. I personally HATE feeling that I have to play a game for more than 30 minutes, and not being able to quit.

Not to mention the incredibly stupid new matchmaking system, that takes far longer, just to ensure that you don’t join a game in progress. I can’t help but feel these new changes were because of the Stop Having Fun Crowd complaining.

Grrr.

• ch4os1337 says:

Just because you don’t take it seriously doesn’t mean they should not listen to the thousands of people who wanted it like this.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Maybe I am in the minority, I don’t have the statistics. What they should have done, was just make a distinct entity. So “Casual” “Competitive (the new, current mode)” and “Not Quite as Casual”. Then everybody wins, except the people 4 years down the line that can’t find a game.

• Astroman says:

Just play custom servers. Let the “Cyber Athletes” have their mode.

12. The Random One says:

I would like to log in and find a terrorist’s vest slightly ajar. He expertly reloads his AK47, revealing the deftness of his well-trained fingers. His eyes meet mine through the balaclava. A promise of an explosive night lies ahead. This time, the terrorists win.

Also every time I see a de_ map I imagine its name is in a bad German accent.

I had nothing of value to add to this discussion and posted anyway. I’m so sorry.

• YourMessageHere says:

…and yet, this is the most entertaining thing in the whole thread.

13. jameskond says:

This is the exact system as Dota 2 and it works very well there. Except if you leave two games in Dota 2 you’re sentenced to 24 hours in ‘low priority’ matchmaking which is filled with awful players.

This system in CS hopefully keeps the quitters away :)

14. Dances to Podcasts says:

So if you want to abandon a game, just fake a disconnect?

Joshua says:

Well, since you get the option to rejoin the game once you reconnect, you probably have to fake a disconnect for several minutes (up to 30 I geuss), in which you can play no steam-based MP games at all.

Or, that is how I assume how it goes.

15. dannyblackeyes says:

I’m having serious issues with the new matchmaking. It’s slow, cumbersome, and honestly worthless. And for some reason now the server browser is screwed up too, at least for me. When I do a full refresh it only gives me like 3 pub servers two of which are empty and never gives me more, yet it shows ALL my previous servers on the history tab and gives me populations for them and everything. Anyway, I just registered to come whine for a bit, I’m done.

16. beema says:

People play this game? News to me

17. MassterBlasster says:

Is it just me or does the title of this article say Sky-CRAPER instead of scraper?