Of Frying Pans And Fire: Walking Dead Episode 4

By Adam Smith on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

I’ll put most of this after the jump so that people who aren’t up to date don’t get spoilers in their afternoon tea. The Walking Dead: Episode Four sees the survivors entering “the worst kind” of place. Anyone following the series will know that all the places so far have been far from “the best kind” of places. The trailer below contains piles of zombies and malicious use of a walkie talkie.

Things get even worse, eh? So far it’s been a walk in the park, the park being full of flesh-eating monstrosities, the sorrowful and suicidal, and the unhinged and murderous. So what’s in store? More grief, more anger and more madness. It’s the penultimate episode and at this point, I’d be surprised if at least two members of Lee’s gang don’t bite the bullet and then bite someone else on the bonce. Who will be the first to shuffle off this mortal coil and then shamble back onto it? My money’s on Ben.

Calling the final scene now. Lee and Clementine make it to the boat. Everyone else is dead. Lee steers out into the open sea but then! The camera pans in on his horrified expression.

What he thought was a boat is actually a floating prison for child murderers. Also zombies.

, , .

1. Baardago says:

Huh. I totally forgot I have this bloody game on my steam list.

Guess I’ll go take a look at the new episodes after reading this.

2. DickSocrates says:

I’ll bite once it’s all out as a single thing. If I get into a game at all I get in deep for a brief period and then get out. I couldn’t sustain interest over all these months.

3. jonfitt says:

Can’t wait. I picked this up after Ep3 was out so I was able to plow through those. Now I’m stuck waiting like a common waiterer.

Final outcome: Lee dead, Clem survives. Season 2, Clem is protagonist and older.

• Baardago says:

Assuming there’ll be a second seaso –… oh god. I just had a vision of a future in which all games work like TV series. Very short, monthly episodes, seasons, recasts.

I’ll go hide under my bed, now.

• jonfitt says:

What? That’s the vision of the future from 5 years ago. You’re stuck in a time loop.

That is how Telltale have been working. Check out their Sam & Max seasons.
        That was what the HL2 Episodes were supposed to be too…

• Baardago says:

Never played Sam & Max. Good thing the Half-Life 2 episodes weren’t like that.

Guess I’m just gonna go to huddle up in a corner, hug my knees and wobble back and forth in a perpetual time-loop, now.

• Drake Sigar says:

For season 2 it seems natural to go for Clem: The Teenage Years. But I’m not sure I want that to happen unless all those decisions Lee made on survival and morals (whether or not to take the food, whether or not he killed the brothers, etc) drastically affect Clem’s attitude. All that continuation sounds really hard, so maybe they’re better off going with a new group altogether.

• iniudan says:

I would say at least the canon (basically all those that came out to be the most chosen and are put in the stat trailer) choice will be transferred to the sequel if there is one. So basically I would say those that bought early and play has episode are release, are the one getting choose on what personality Clem will come to have in it.

• jonfitt says:

Hmm. That dependence on season one choices would limit what they could do with season 2.

If you imagine a tree branching indefinitely, the higher up the tree you go the more divergent the branches are and the more there are of them. It would require too much work for Telltale to keep it up. They would either have to ignore some of the previous choices’ implications, or have them ultimately loop back into a single path.
        Already some of the the choices made in season one seem to ultimately end up with the same outcome.

• Baf says:

Clem: The Teenage Years isn’t going to happen soon, if ever. It would put the game’s chronology ahead of the comic’s, and that’s officially not allowed. For all we know Kirkman could blow up the planet in the next issue.

4. atticus says:

I love this game, but I’m actually quite happy that it will end after five episodes. I can take only so much shit happening to the same people before I lose the will to continue the story.

Started reading the comics from the beginning, but goddamn, there’s just so much death, disappointment and misery I just couldn’t take anymore. Just when the protagonists seem to catch a break, the world falls apart again. And again. And again…

Would still welcome another Telltale-adventure based on the Walking Dead though, just as long as they start a new storyline with new characters!

TwoDaemon says:

Yeah, I know the problem – there comes a point where you just can’t deal with things getting worse for the protagonists. There’s something to be said for the characters having enough meaning that you end up sparing them by just putting the media down, but of course it does then rather stop you from continuing with the story. On the other hand do we really want to read about people we hate enough to not mind when such terrible things happen?

Scratch that, “Terrible Things Happen to People You Hate” sounds like a pretty successful show, actually.

• Drake Sigar says:

I agree, my bleakness cup gets full.

5. Mr. Mister says:

OH THANKS FOR THE SUBTLE VIDEO THUMBNAIL TEXT I WOULDN’T HAVE KNOWN JUST BY THE TITLE

6. Grawl says:

When does this get released?

• povu says:

No definite release date yet, but it’s ‘somewhere in October’.

7. zeekthegeek says:

This is the episode written by former longtime PC Gamer editor (and former Brit) Gary Whitta.

8. povu says:

I’m not even going to watch the trailer, I don’t need convincing to play this and I don’t want even the tiniest story spoiler.

9. Sayori says:

The year is still 2012.
    The walking dead Episode 1024 with even lesser content than before.
    Just for 24.99 euro!

10. cool4345 says:

eh, not interested in this series any more after episode 3. Not after learning that your choices don’t matter in the slightest..

I’ll probably watch episode 4 on youtube, but there’s no reason to play it myself considering that it will play exactly the same most likely.