Bod A Kliknite Na Tlačidlo: Gomo

By John Walker on October 3rd, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Gomo is the right name for a game. Good work, Fishcow Studio. It’s a 2D point-n-click explore-me-do, very much in the vein of Amanita’s games, and from the trailer below, looks adorable. This is the first game from the eight-man Slovakian developer, and features the all-crucial slo-mo dodging of rocks.

Fishcow is also the right name for an independent studio, so they’re doing a good job so far. And with really only Amanita doing Amanita-style games, the more the merrier. The merrier I’ll be. In Gomo you’ll be rescuing your best friend, a dog called Dingo, as you go on an exploratory adventure. So while we’ve yet to get our hands on this one, the trailer is looking promising:

Let’s assume the voiceover is only for the trailer, eh? They wouldn’t spoil the game itself with that – would they?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ketchua says:

Potato man keeps hitting his head. That can’t be good for him…

2. phelix says:

Maybe I’m just being stereotypical in my judgment, but games made by people from Eastern Europe always seem to have a certain feel to them that makes them all the more appealing, with this one no exception.

• B1A4 says:

Slovakia is more of Central Europe (eastern europe starts in Prešov :P) but i would just said, that they are traditionaly different from the anglowestern block.

Also ‘Bod’ is ‘point’ but as a ‘dot’ not as ‘aim at something’*

If i missed some translation error joke, i am sorry.

• Grey Ganado says:

They’re eastern enough to have that certain flavour. :P

• John Walker says:

That was Google Translate. If you can translate it properly, I’ll fix it : )

• ceemko says:

Slovakian here, who has done some translations for Discovery in the past (as a result I hate everything related to crab fishing in the ocean and ghetto raised auto mechanics).

It appears you are trying to say “point and click the mouse button”. Point and click adventure games are referred to the same as in English – point and click, mostly. But if you want to give it a local feel “klikačky” would be the way to go (which is plural of “klikačka”, generally a clicky-thingy). Word by word translation is never being used here, it sounds bad.

I would recommend “Myšítková Klikačka”, where myšítková is describing the fact that mouse buttons are being used in controlling this clicky-thingy. It sounds weird, but ‘good weird’ and very Slovak, not translator weird.

• Ulotrich says:

+1 for “Myšítková Klikačka” its not literal, but feels like puns RPS would use

• Deadfast says:

“Zamier a klikni na tlačidlo” if you did actually mean to say “Point and click the button” word-by-word.

• michailnenkov says:

I’m pretty sure that was supposed to be Point & Click, but it took me a while:) So I guess “Klikací adventůra”

• Alevice says:

Actually I hav been on my way on writing about it. In particular their indie ventures (Megazey and the Demons, Quite Soulless, Hammerfight, etc), but even their more AAA works also prove it (Pathologic, STALKER, Men of War, Metro 2033)

• mr.black says:

To be declared eastern is for us (Croatia; Unity of Command, SSam..) something of a slur, and respectively being just on the edge of West is considered a big praise, so other ex-Eastern-block Slavic countries could see it the similarly..
      But of course, Slavs are (as any other) specific folk with rich history, mythology, world-view and aesthetics which can be something of a boon in saturated western/Japanese game market. I enjoyed every Amanita game/flash animation and am looking forward to some more palette change!

But boy, did the title with a familiar word caused a brain glitch after 6 straight hours of foreign language teaching (German at that).. :)

• InternetBatman says:

I think part of it is that the lower standard of living lets developers be more creative since making games costs less.

• michailnenkov says:

I’ve spent my whole life in different eastern-ish countries, I am very much aware of the feel and I hate it passionately. I like to think of it as a legacy from the communist era, but I might be wrong. At the time everything was bleak, pale, desaturated. Because of that, easterners have generally very poor understanding of graphic design and color, and you can see that just by crossing a border.

That makes me avoid a lot of stuff that comes from the east, but I can see the appeal for western people.

• Psihomodo says:

You couldn’t be more wrong, and it seems years of living in post com. eastern europe didn’t do your understanding any good.

I myself am from Croatia, which has traditionally radiated towards Austria and Germany in modern times (jobs, shopping before ’92, etc.) so I have quite a knowledge of your ‘western’ culture, and quite a lot of understanding of US pop culture, even more than some US locals do, because we cherished any media we could get our hands on.

All I can say to you is that I deeply despise the whole capitalism BS with corporations running the show with the pretense of freedom, when in fact you’re even more subjugated than we were in that filthy socialism. So you can wipe that smirk of your face and take your corrupted views of a modern world with you and go away, far away.

And that idiotic remark about people here having ‘very poor understanding of graphic design and color’ you cannot even pin to the most isolated Russians for years now. Did you know that a lot of stuff you see today in design is done or has been invented by people around here? There are so many projects being done by easterners for foreign firms it’s not even funny. You could say that it is similar to chinese doing a lot of work for scraps, but the difference is they just manufacture stuff as quickly as possible for as little as possble, where people in these parts do it with vision and pride. Ofcourse I’m talking about general design, not manufacturing bolts or such.

Oh and btw, Stalker, SSam or Metro wipe the floor with your ‘western’ games in turns of design and atmosphere, and that with numerous times less money at hand. So bugger off.

• syndrome says:

edit: oops I’ve replied to the wrong person

@michail

I’m from Belgrade, and yes it’s true that everything’s a little bleak and desatured around here. Commy legacy and all that bullshit, nobody asked me, I just popped into existence in a place nearby.

But you see, the uninviting bleakness, that’s only on the outside. A facade.

The true stuff is inside, but I guess you Western people can’t learn to appreciate the concept ;)

• michailnenkov says:

I didn’t want to hurt anyone’s pride with that post, but I kinda expected it to. And there you go.
          First, I’m not a westerner, I don’t know what made you think that.

Second, your anecdotal experience is nice, but misses the point, as well as your rant about capitalism (wtf was that about and what does it have to do with anything?) and your defence on eastern graphic design. I’m not saying there aren’t great designers here, I know many. I was talking about the general public and it’s appreciation and understanding of graphic design. That is, among the older generations, approaching zero. The communist society was dominated by engineers, function and price was of prime concern. Paying attention to looks was a waste of resources. Flashy colors and attention to detail were frowned upon. DIY was encouraged and everyone thought they could do their own posters, shop-signs etc. It’s just letters and stuff, isn’t it? Why pay someone to do it, when you can kinda make a sign yourself? That attitude lasts to this day and is hard to kill. That’s why eastern european cities look as they look, for example. But that’s still not what my post was about.

The great tradition of artistry, graphic design and architecture from the pre-communist era was largely denounced. And that’s really the key. There is no real *modern* eastern-european tradition to build upon. What good designers there are now, they either work under western(now effectively global) influence, or go through great pains to revive or reinvision the mess of tradition and legacy they were born into. But, the main point – there’s definitely an eastern aesthetic to what some of them do, not so much in graphic design as ie. in games, but undeniably there’s this feel that my first post was actually about. There are many reasons why this is, one of them I mention above… I happen to be a person who hates it, there’s nothing objective about it, I’m not right nor wrong, nor I’m suggesting you should hate it too or not be proud of it or whatever.

• Charles de Goal says:

Funny because “bleak, pale, desaturated” makes me think of England. Or at least its cuisine.

3. Ross Angus says:

The part of “evil” in the trailer – that’s not Octodad, is it?

4. Searg17 says:

Yay Slovak pride! Good to see a at least something happening here game-development-wise…
    When I saw the title I seriously thought the Chrome automatic translation feature turned itself on a went crazy :D
    Not sure if I like how the game seems heavily inspired by Amanita Design games. I suppose it makes sense to go with an established formula in your first game, but I seriously hope they distinguish themselves somehow.

Rikard Peterson says:

It looks promising. Too bad about the music though, particularly when they’ll inevitably be compared to Amanita, who’s done some of the best sound design ever in games.

6. d32 says:

Yay! RPS in my own language! Well, sort-of.