Feeding The Machine: Gas Guzzlers Demo

By Jim Rossignol on October 3rd, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Gas Guzzlers” seems like an odd name for a game – as if the best thing about cars is the amount of fuel they consume. Anyway, that’s besides the point, and the point is that this combat-racing game now has a demo out. Here it is, one point six of your Internet gigabytes. Man, they don’t make ‘em like this anymore. Time was there used to be a vehicular combat game every week. These days, well, they’re a dying breed. That’s perhaps not a bad thing…

Gas Guzzlers is out now, and the video below should enable you to decide whether this demo is worth a download. Looks fast and pretty!

, , , , .

AndrewC says:

I think it should be given points for both the rock’n'roll music and the chickens. The racing I don’t know.

• LionsPhil says:

I find it amusing how they say “where skill still mattered”, then proceed to show several minutes of car-painting.

• Gnarf says:

Hum. You can paint cars in Forza games. They added “rewind your car back onto the street”-thing to one Forza or another. I guess “where skill still matters -> painting cars” would have been apt then.

2. warthog2k says:

Makes me want to play Blur again – but with more than 5 people online at any time and without hacks/griefers.

• meloncrab says:

I had a blast playing the blur demo on the xbox, but never got around buying it. Really bummed me out when I wanted to buy it cheap on steam and finding out it was full of hackers :( This game looks promising though.

• Shralla says:

There are usually between 20 and 50 people on at any given time on Xbox Live! Of course they’re all legend rank 10 and have a zillion hours put into the game.

Rikard Peterson says:

I tried Blur online for the first time last week (I’ve played the game single player before – almost all the way through – but the log in refused to work on my old computer for some reason, so with my new computer it’s all new, and even prettier than before) and I’m having a lot of fun with it.

I should try this demo. May we get a WIT too?

3. SocraticIrony says:

“want to try something different?”
    “from the old school of gaming”

Anyone else spot the issue there?

• BooleanBob says:

Well, it’s different from the new school of gaming. Apparently.

4. Axess Denyd says:

Makes me remember how much I want a new Interstate 76.

5. Chizu says:

I miss these kind of games, but the more recent attempts have always been so underwhelming.
    This vid, the weapons don’t look particularly punchy.
    Hit someone with a rocket, oh no! their rear bumper is now hanging off a little bit!
    The machinegun fire all also looks like its going over the cars.
    Guess I’ll give the demo a go, see how this actually feels to play. And then I’ll probably find myself going and playing Vigilante 8 (not the terrible xbla/psn one) again or something.

6. SilentDawn says:

This game was released 5 months ago…

RaveTurned says:

The article is about the demo for this game, which has been released today.

• wodin says:

Thats what I thought. Good fun though.

• mondomau says:

FTA: “Anyway, that’s besides the point, and the point is that this combat-racing game now has a demo out .”

7. DaWalrus says:

It looks like a hybrid of NFS and Flatout with guns.
    And that’s probably why I don’t like it, seems like it’s been influenced too much.

• TAPETRVE says:

Erm… No. This game takes its inspiration from N.I.C.E. 2, which was released 13 years ago.

• DaWalrus says:

Inspired perhaps, but it does look like it’s just NFS Hot Pursuit scenery with Flatout style breaking environment and props. With guns.

8. SominiTheCommenter says:

How many Peggles is the demo?

9. d0nk0d1 says:

This is absolutely great game with lousy name :) I got me a copy two months ago on Desura and it rocks. There haven’t been too much combat racers on PC lately. BTW I’ve read somewhere that GG was made by indie studio with less than 10 developers and the results are pretty impressive.

10. lord0o says:

Make me feel so old school thinking of Vigilante 8 Series…