Make Something Unreal Live Is “Genetics and Genomics”

By Jim Rossignol on October 3rd, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

This year’s Make Something Unreal Live is a competition “open to teams of six to 10 members consisting of current full-time university students.” The grand prize of full Unreal engine licences tasks entrants with making something from scratch using the Unreal engine, with the theme of “Our Mendelian inheritance: genetics and genomics.” The full brief is here. The reason for this theme is that the competition is now backed by The Wellcome Trust, the charitable foundation which promotes scientific ambition in the UK and around the world. Wellcome’s Dr. Daniel Glaser said of the alliance with Epic: “The Wellcome Trust is committed to using games and gaming culture as a means of engaging people with science, working to network the talent and knowledge of scientists and developers and offering a range of funding schemes.”

Science and games, together again: that’s an inter-disciplinary fist-bump, right there.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Later, when the world was overrun with Gears of War’s Locusts created in a university lab, they realized they should have been more specific in their wording.

2. Mr. Mister says:

Oh my, this is a very interesting theme for this. I’m excited to see what sticks at the wall after throwing scince at it.

EDIT: It might be worth specifying that the prize license will be for the Unreal Engine 4.

3. James G says:

Will be interested to see what comes of this. My first interest was wondering how many people at work would be interested, but given the people behind it I strongly suspect I may already have received the E-mail. I’m hoping that we see some games from people who want to play with the actual science (even if slightly gamified) rather than just running with the more abstract theme.

4. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Sort of a shame that teams have to be 6-10 people, and all university-goers. Sort of limits the pool of entrants…

5. Bhazor says:

I can’t wait to see Watson display.

6. His Dudeness says:

Soon women will truly be obsolete.

7. G-Lord says:

As a scientist and gamer I approve this.

8. Zetetic says:

I find it a little odd to see this while the Wellcome Collection’s current Superhuman exhibition ‘exploring human enhancement’ – which had space to show comic books (superheroes), books by Gibson, short films tackling the subject artistically and these unnecessary videos (when written pieces would’ve been better) – failed entirely to examine the rather popular and high-profile discussions of the subject in video games. (Even if you think they’re ultimately a bit cack, DX:HR is surely worth a mention?)

Comment on this story