Go Quest: Talisman Finally Coming To PC

By Adam Smith on October 4th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

How did we miss this? Talisman is going to be a PC game! The looting and levelling fantasy RPG was the first boardgame I owned that you’d never find in a hotel lobby on a rainy day. Cluedo, Monopoly, Mousetrap, Ghost Castle – those had been my initiation into the cardboard arts. I can’t remember how Talisman came into my possession, I was too young to have money of my own, but I do remember it was like someone had taken a Fighting Fantasy book, liberated it from the page and made it even more tangible. Well, soon it’ll be even less tangible. After development of a 2008 version ‘misfired’, the rights to the title reverted to Games Workshop and they have commissioned Nomad Games to computerise the quest.

Do you want to see a trailer for a vidjagame adaptation of a fantasy-themed board game? OF COURSE YOU DO.

This news should excite Alec, who astutely described Talisman as a “proto-MMO fantasy grind”, while bemoaning the lack of a PC version. There is a lot of grind, running around the board, biding time until the assault on the centre is feasible. In what may be an unfortunate move, rather than being a piece-for-piece conversion, the initial release, Talisman: Prologue, will be a single player game, where the original is for 2-6 players.

Perhaps releasing a Prologue is a way of putting Talisman onto computer sooner rather than later, while a full non-prologue is developed, but if so after such a long wait, I think those eager to play would be happy to wait a while longer. It’s also possible that this is a toe in the water, a test to see if a full version will sell, or work satisfactorily. Or there’s simply no real desire to create a version of the game that doesn’t require a tabletop, that will probably require less cash and time investment, and may cannibalise sales of the physical version. With a port to tablet expected following the PC release, the fear of digital replacement seems quite likely. It’s almost certainly the reason some of the more complex boardgames out there don’t have an alternate digital version.

I love boardgames. I love having the boxes looking down at me from the shelves that are their home. I love holding things, passing tokens and dice around a table, and making up ludicrous drinking game rules for everything. I would never want to replace them, but particularly with games that suit solo play, I’d sometimes like to enjoy the stories and flow without packing and unpacking a lot of kit all on my lonesome. Basically, I’m still banging on about the Arkham Horror digital edition that I so crave.

Talisman’s good too though, even if the Prologue might be incomplete. A full version – and loads of DLC – is no doubt at least a greater possibility now than a year ago. What boardgames would you like to be playing on your PC right now? Or does the whole idea seem oddly diminishing as to their true qualities?

So tempting to load up Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble right now. So tempting.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. frightlever says:

Adam, for god’s sake don’t let John see you getting all nostalgic about an old game.

Never heard of it personally, but it probably came out long after I cared about board games.

• HisMastersVoice says:

First edition came out in 1983.

• JackShandy says:

“After”? Weird.

• InternetBatman says:

I was going to post the exact same thing.

• Bweahns says:

I played the game at my uncles house when I was around 10-11. One day in a small game shop that was closing down I saw a second edition copy for $20. I couldn’t believe my luck. I’d just scored $20 for a birthday or some such recently and I snaffled it up. Still got it and all the expansion crammed into the original box.

2. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Oh wow, this was my favourite game as a teenager. So… many… expansions…

I was incredibly sad to discover some time ago that my collection, which I’d previously thought to be in my Dad’s attic, was in fact nowhere to be found. I considered buying a set on ebay before common sense set in (at this point in my life I’d have no-one who could stomach learning the damn thing to play it with). I am really excited to see this is literally the board game made computerised, rather than an attempt to “take the IP and turn it into an RPG”

3. MajorManiac says:

I absolutely loved this game.

I often wish the Elder Scrolls games had similar difficulty ‘zones’ to this. So the world doesn’t level with you. You just become strong enough to survive the next more-dangerous area.

• Temple says:

Me too, reason I cannot get into Morrowind is the dangerous killer rats that lvl with you. Whole point about lvling is to out lvl things.

So Skyrim is the same?

4. Hoaxfish says:

For a minute there I thought this was Warhammer Quest/Heroquest (apparently on it’s way to iOS)

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Nostalgia overload!

• SkittleDiddler says:

It’s not based on Advanced Heroquest (the best version in the series), and it’s based on Warhammer Quest (the worst version in the series), AND it’s only coming to iOS? Bollocks.

I’m still demanding a proper Advanced Heroquest video game.

5. bill says:

I’ll ask this here as it seems mildly related and I missed Cardboard Children this week – Does anyone know of any decent boardgames / cardgames that have been released on Android?

There have been several recent games in Cardboard Children that sounded like they’d be perfect fits for handheld phone gaming… but I haven’t found much except for “pure boardgames” like monopoly or uno. Things like Heroquest or Talisman or Android or that single-player card game that was mentioned a while back sound like they’d be perfect to mess around with on the train home.

6. Neurotic says:

I’ve got two 2e sets (the swanky black and gold boxes), plus one full set of expansions, all bought new from Leisure Games on Ballads Lane in North Finchley when they were new. Talisman is absolutely classic, an iconic thing in my life and the precursor to all my subsequent PnPing and CRPGing ever since. Long live Talisman, Greatest Board Game Ever!

7. bill says:

PS/ Anyone remember Talisman Timescape with the old-school beaky (and much cooler) Space Marines? I want that!

8. yhalothar says:

Single player? Why in the everliving fuck anyone would want to play Talisman by themselves?

• Chris D says:

To be honest it wouldn’t be a massively different experience than playing it with other people. There was never a whole lot of player interaction in there. Though I’m assuming they’ve tweaked the rules a bit for this version.

9. Jorum says:

For all those remembering Talisman fondly -Fantasy Flight have a WH40K version of Talisman in the
    pipeline:

10. Zeewolf says:

Yet another game stuck on Greenlight.

11. Wayward says:

Talisman was my favourite boardgame when I was growing up and I merrily played it by myself when there was no-one else around (playing several different characters against each other). It’s a great game, if a little long-winded.

I’m always a bit torn about videogame adaptations of boardgames. I’d never want videogames to damage sales in the boardgame market, but on the other hand I’ve got nobody to play with anymore. All my boardgaming is solo (things like Thunderstone), and videogame versions make it a lot easier to play against people. They can never replace the joy of sitting around a table dealing cards and rolling dice, but it’s better than nothing.

12. Xanadu says:

But there is already a PC version. I played it on my spectrum in the mid 80′s…
    My siblings and I still get out my old set (2nd edition plus 1st few expansions) for a game when we get together at my Mums house. Good memories.

13. Ayam says:

I remember playing Talisman quite a bit, but don’t remember anything about the mechanics. In fact the only vivid memory was my friend’s mum laughing, “Tally’s Man? That is such a funny name! Ahahaha!”. I remember a lot of colour on the board and cards, too. Cards? I think there were cards. There was definitely a board!

14. MadMatty says:

I´d actually love to see W40K and Epic40k with the original rulesets, instead of that ridiculous hitpoint system in Dawn of War…. i mean, 20 eldar guardians shooting at one Space Marine at a time, looks incredibly silly.
    Still, this will never happen because it will loose them miniatures sales.

I´d settle for Warhammer Quest tho! its like Advanced, Advanced HeroQuest

• Archonsod says:

Final Liberation came fairly close to Epic.

• Ritashi says:

I’d want a (heavily revised) version of Mordheim more. Get a rules committee together, revise all the rules (and get community feedback, a la how Blood Bowl got it’s Living Rule Book), then port it to PC. Sadly Mordheim, requiring so few pieces that can all be easily converted from even one box for most warbands, will likely never get any more love from GW :(. And there’s no way in hell they’d allow a computer version of the main games, that would sap all of their sales. At least we got Blood Bowl, terrible as Cyanide could be through some of that.

15. njursten says:

So much fun is lost when you no longer sit around a table with your friends when playing a boardgame. I’ve tried some computer versions combined with Skype, but it’s just not as fun. :(

16. Guvornator says:

What I love about Talisman was it was actually relatively accessible. It was the only one of my fantasy based games that I could play with my parents.

17. brulleks says:

Excellent. I bought the board game again only last year, having misplaced my original first edition sometime after leaving University.

Although, in some ways, not so excellent, as this probably means I didn’t need to buy the board game again.

Hmmmm.

Edit: ok, having read the article properly, I’m back to ‘excellent’, given that the PC version will only be singleplayer to start with and I’ll want at least one version to play with friends.

18. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I’m not opposed to a digital boardgame that supports single-player, depending on the game. There’s a free, presumably not-officially-sanctioned version of Race for the Galaxy that I find mostly indistinguishable from playing against my friends, except that the AI is like the goddamned T-1000. Probably helps that its the kind of game that generally doesn’t involve a lot of inter-player chatter.

Personally, I’m waiting for Fantasy Flight to suck it up and release a digital version of Arkham Horror. Goddamned but is that game a nightmare to setup.

19. zeroskill says:

This is awesome.

20. wodin says:

Superb. I always think really a multiplayer boardgame conversion for me kind of makes it redundant (VASSAL anyone). I think the whole point of a PC boardgame Conversion should be that you can play by your lonesome. So I’m not complaining

21. Bobtree says:

Next up: WarCraft the Boardgame the Videogame! Coming soon from HasbroVision.

22. SkittleDiddler says:

ERMAHGERD TERHLISMAN

23. Lokik says:

Damn, and I just found my horribly destroyed copy of Talisman (Finnish language edition) with the board cut in half and most of the cards missing. Guess I was just too young when I received the game in the early 90s. All I could do was marvel at the board and card art, which doesn’t seem so cool on the new edition btw.
    Wish I could still buy the original version somewhere and actually try to play it.

24. TH0TH says:

I absolutely loved Talisman, had a few expansion packs as well, dungeons, extra cards and the different timescape, rly liked the art work especially though;
    Characters
    and the front cover is ingrained into my memory;
    Box Cover

25. valmorian says:

Ahh yes, Talisman, fantasy themed Snakes and Ladders.

26. uggron says:

Wow, I remember this game! I played like, 2 full games because no one wanted to set everything up. But those 2 games were awesome! This is definitely a game that will benefit from being on PC.

27. pantognost says:

“… Basically, I’m still banging on about the Arkham Horror digital edition that I so crave.”

That should be bolded capitalized and animated in the article.
    Oh, and before any of you jump in, we know about vassal…but it is not the same…
    Do you think that a picket line at FFG would do any good? ^^

28. MrVooWhoo says:

Please, no one forget about my version of The Unofficial Talisman Computer Game (2008) – destroyed by Games Workshop in 2009.