So, What’s The Deal With AC III’s Connor?

By Nathan Grayson on October 5th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

In his spare time, he enjoys going for a good yodel in the mountains.

I feel like it’s something of a credit to Assassin’s Creed III that Ubisoft can overload our finely honed assassin senses with barrage after barrage of media, yet I still feel a tingle of excitement watching some of it. I mean, there’s a fine line between whetting our appetites and shoving a fully cooked turkey down our throats, and Assassin’s Creed III crossed it ages ago. In truth, though, a few things are still shrouded in mystery. For instance, there’s Connor. What’s he like? What are his hobbies? Has he seen any good movies lately? Who’s his favorite ancient Greek philosopher? After the break, you’ll find a new trailer that answers precisely zero of those questions. It does, however, elaborate on Connor’s backstory a bit, and it looks pretty darn impressive in the process.

He seems intense, huh? And yeah, it looks like another “Went out for a pleasant stroll, then bad people burned my village down” backstory, but the particulars obviously make it a fair deal more interesting in this case. It seems like Connor will do some growing up (both physically and mentally) along the way, too, which is nice in a gaming landscape largely populated by characters who stay static and never question just what the hell they’re actually accomplishing by extinguishing a large portion of the human race.

We’re rapidly closing in on Assassin’s Creed III’s November release date, so that’s quite exciting. Does knowing heaps of behind-the-scenes info about the game diminish your anticipation for it, though? Do you think Ubisoft’s overplayed its hand?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Lekker Pain says:

After their, “We can see Watchdogs as a 60$ game with microtransactions” bs, I am more than convinced to not support such retarded marketing philosophy. Simply shit on their heads.

See I’m a business man my self, and if I would even think about screwing over my customers I can kiss my profits goodbye and go looking for work on the streets. Of course there is competition, but I am combating it with better prices and services for customer satisfaction, not better ways how to fuck them over.

Excuse the rant.

• Zanchito says:

No rant, sir, I totally agree with you and miss the times when a business was happy and proud to offer you good products and services instead of the current “we’re making you a favor by relieving you from your hard earned money. You should beg us” approach.

• MajorManiac says:

Its true. These are strange times.

Its odd just how open some publishers are when it comes to reducing customer satisfaction, for the chance of some extra money.

2. The Godzilla Hunter says:

Wow, this is the first trailer that actually perked my interest for the game. The question is, will the story telling be better than AC2? Because I remember playing that game, and having no clue what the heck my character was supposed to be doing, and who the people I was killing were. I don’t know about Revelations and Brotherhood, but I hope this game has a much more coherent story-line.

• skoeldpadda says:

They do not.
      I don’t hold much hopes as far as story is concerned. However, the climb-everywhere-in-the-snowy-forest thing does interests me.

• Magnusm1 says:

Really? I found the story to be pretty damn easy to follow.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Admittedly, I did not read much of the flavor text, as the menus where way to troublesome to navigate. I guess it was just the way it was presented, with random skips in the timeline, which, if you didn’t follow closely, could trip you up.

• revel911 says:

Huh? The story is the best part of Assassin’s Creed?

Did you not start at Ac1? Part of playing sequels is knowing a good portion of the events in the previous encounters. Especially in games like Ac where all of the events tie together.

I found AC2 rather easy to understand if you followed the instructions.

• mouton says:

Storywise, I found AC1 much better than AC2, with all the moral relativism of the Templar victims. AC2 had much, much better gameplay but its story was more like “raaah, am ezio, am revenge, killlll” and the Templars were typical power-grabbing jerks. Haven’t played later games.

• Shooop says:

The less you know about the story the better condition your brain cells will be in.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Seriously. At least when you acknowledge that something works by punching reality in the nuts *cough*Mass Effect 3*cough* you have a bit of wiggle room. This way the story makes less sense than Evangelion. And at least NGE had giant robots in it.

Also, I am quite sick of the Native American save the nature bullshit that pops up in everything that features them. Writers need to stop using them as elf stand-ins. Oh, and do something original with the premise, ripping off the ripoff of a ripoff, while fodder for Inception jokes, is not very creative.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Considering that Connor apparently has no regard towards sustainable yields in the amount he hunts (potentially, obviously left up to the player) and I heard nothing about “save the trees” in this video, I am not sure what you are talking about.

• The Magic says:

I’m pretty sure that by “save nature” whatever, he meant “we were at peace! a peaceful people! we were happy bunnies and then the bad man came and punched the bunnies” sorta thing. While nobody is excusing genocide, It is a racial stereotype that has no interest in depicting generic native americans as human beings whose societies did both good and bad things.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Right, point taken.

Though, to be fair, that particular “Everything was great where I grew up until outsiders came and burned my village down” trope is not unique to Native Americans, and is more to do with the innocence of childhood, but I do see how that is an annoying stereotype. At least they did not go all Pocahontas and basically say that the Native Americans were all peace-loving people who could do no wrong.

3. yurusei says:

I Connor understand the need for so many trailers as well.

4. Sarissofoi says:

What a retarded way to carry a bow.

• Hidden_7 says:

What slung over his torso like that? It was my understanding that that’s a perfectly reasonable and common way to carry a bow, assuming you want it ready to be used at a moment’s notice, and thus aren’t going to unstring it. How would you carry it?

• atticus says:

I would carry it strung with three arrows ready, cursing and spitting while making horrible threats at small animals and children in broken English.

• revel911 says:

Supposedly they actually took all of the movements and clothing and speech from the Mowhawk people, so though it may look stupid to us, that is how it was done.

5. DiamondDog says:

Is he a happy and care-free individual that always sees the good in things?

6. MuscleHorse says:

What’s a good entry in the series to pick up before this then? I’ve been meaning to give the games a go since, well, the first one but for one reason or another haven’t.

Oh, and I’m not at all bothered about the story so that’s not a factor.

• Hidden_7 says:

Brotherhood is generally considered the best of the 2 series, mechanically, but I personally enjoyed 2 more for the locals. Rome was alright, but it just didn’t do it for me as the only location. Also Ezio’s a bit more fun when he’s younger, in my opinion. I haven’t played Revelations so I can’t comment on that. Pretty much pick up either 2 or Brotherhood. Both is more of the same, but either is worth playing. That’s also if you really don’t care about the story at all, because nothing that happens in Brotherhood will make any sense if you haven’t played 2.

7. Hidden_7 says:

Pretty regular, maybe a bit meek if I’m honest. Video games, writing, biking come the summer months. Yes, I quite enjoyed Looper, Dredd, and The Master. Plato, but I’m not generally a huge fan of the Greeks. Any other questions?

Oh, the Connor from the game, clearly.

I remember a time when I was the only Connor I knew. Used to be somewhat uncommon. It used to be special. Now it seems like every other twelve year old’s called Connor. Then you got that guy from Angel who was a bit of a wet blanket, and now Gloomy McRevengeface over here. Sheesh. Oh, and now that thing where you repeat a word enough times and it just becomes meaningless gibberish just happened, but with my own name, so I can’t introduce myself at parties, so that’s nice. Thanks, Ubisoft. Thanks Nathan.

• Baresark says:

My name is Justin, and I feel your pain. When my mother named me that, she had known one her entire life and it was her favorite cousin. Now, the name is all over the place and I’m seriously considering a legal name change to the name that my mother almost named me, Justice. Now that is an awesome name that no one has, haha.

8. Guiscard says:

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a section of Continentals receiving the Assassins answer to everything at the end of the trailer? Marketing must not be feeling well.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

And from the sound of it, you are betrayed by them. So exactly what everybody that wasn’t convinced Ubisoft was going to try to appeal to the “Stupid, patriotic, jingoistic Americans” by having the British be the only bad guys said would happen.

• maninahat says:

I can breath slightly more easier now, knowing that Americans aren’t automatically better than the British.

9. Gap Gen says:

Yeah, what is it with going on a pleasant stroll and coming back to find barbarians have burned down your village? That’s happened to me like three times already. Come on guys.

10. Urthman says:

But will we be able to play a Quicktime event in which we press “A” to have Conner kick his mom while in the womb?

11. Monkeh says:

I actually stop watching trailers for any game, once I already know I’ll be buying it.

(currently for example: Dishonered, Hitman: Absolution, BioShock Infinite and Metro Last Light)

12. Baresark says:

They are doing all these releases everywhere on this, but I doubt enough people actually give a damn about seeing endless amounts of articles about a character you are going to learn everything about in a short while. Buddha had a saying, you should never ask questions about things you are going to get the answer to anyway (I’m clearly paraphrasing, but you get the idea). When push comes to shove, his origin versus history is more divisive than anything and it’s already pissed plenty of people off.

Comment on this story