Wow: MaK Is Minecraft Meets Mario Galaxy In Space

By Nathan Grayson on October 5th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

GIVE ME THIS NOW.

Goodness, this looks impressive. MaK (pronounced “make”) is a game about building. Yes, there are roughly seven trillion of those at this point, but it’s actually aiming to execute the concept in an impressively different fashion. The short version: It’s highly physics-based, and there’s a lot of tethering and electricity conduction involved. As for the long version, well, it’s complicated, and you’ll be much better served by the trailer after the break than you will me. Seriously, though, go check it out. This spaced-out construct-o-tron just rocketed to the top of my “to watch” list.

Crazy, right? Between the Mario-Galaxy-esque gravity flipping and Rube-Goldberg-level contraption-building, I’m liking what I see very, very much. Unbelievably, it’s being helmed by small group of friends with the extremely admirable goal of “making something intensely fun.”

“With our project, MaK, we’re setting out to capture the feeling of exploring something really new. To that end, we’re building a unique world with its own laws of physics and we’re serving up the player with a set of freeform building blocks to build structures and functional contraptions. At its core MaK is a physics sandbox with tethers, rockets, explosives, teleportation, relative gravity and potentially unlimited room for creativity.”

“The gameplay comes from a variety of fun game modes that we’re wrapping around this sandbox. From single player mind benders to competitive multiplayer modes like our recently implemented ‘Bombing Run’ style game, the weird physics and contraption building add an element of unpredictable mayhem to the proceedings.”

The team’s also shooting for a light “slapstick” element, so expect things to go horribly awry in riotously amusing fashions. It’s also got its own Steam Greenlight page with a few more details, so check that out if you’re curious.

This looks like quite the thing, though, doesn’t it? I suppose there’s always the chance it could end up too complex for mortal meat brains, but only time will tell on that front. Until then, I’m very excited about the prospect of seeing more. Godspeed, tiny round-cube robot space men. Godspeed.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. BlueSheep says:

What about normal time waste? Like in Minecraft you wasted time building houses and stuff… Do you just blow stuff up here?

2. Lekker Pain says:

Wow. Never liked minecraft or any similar game, but this has so much of a character. I’ll definitely keep an eye on this.

3. GallonOfAlan says:

Since we’re on the subject are there any relatively non-alpha-quality Minecraft-alikes yet ?

4. yhancik says:

Cubes aside, it reminds me more of Garry’s Mod than Minecraft. But that’s not a bad thing either ;)

• MrLebanon says:

I thought the same thing, definitely more along the lines of Garrysmod… this seems more physics/function.

Minecraft wouldn’t know physics if it got hit in the face with it by a diamond sword

• Tei says:

Is because Minecraft physics are biological. Are small celular automata. The way water work has more in common to how amoeba moves than how liquid works, and so on. Is somewhat a artificial life experiment.

5. trjp says:

Invoking the greatest video game ever made cannot be done lightly here (and no, I’m not talking about Minecraft)…

Will have to watch to see if there’s any truth in the matter tho!

6. Iain_1986 says:

Mario Galaxy is in space.

7. Network Crayon says:

Reminds me of Ratchet & Clank. And thats excellent!

8. ch4os1337 says:

It’s odd, just looking at the gameplay it seems like simple Garry’s Mod gameplay with gravity, played with a controller. Hopefully it’s not just building because it seems really meh if it was a open world building/exploring game.

9. crinkles esq. says:

MaK (pronounced “make”)

“Phonetic torpedoes armed, cap’n.”

Mario Galaxy only in terms of the space gravity stuff, but in terms of feel it’s much more Little Big Planet.

• Dave Mongoose says:

I will insist on referring to it as ‘mack’ until someone attempts to correct me, and then I shall call it ‘ma-kay’.

• Shadowcat says:

Yeah. “MaK” is definitely not pronounced “make”. Sorry, developer people; you have indeed called your game either “Mack” or “Ma-kay”.

• Brossacks says:

I’m going to have to disagree, the trailer clearly shows a macron over the “a” when it’s shown. The devs are a little at fault for not making it titled MāK, but then it’d be difficult to google and stuff so it’s not unforgivable.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I think it’s actually MāK but RPS didn’t use the correct character. Art on the Verge site suggests this.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

Wouldn’t it still be pronounced Maak, or is it a different kind of macron?

10. Gap Gen says:

Games! Stop being so awesome! I have to leave my screen to sleep, purchase food and defecate!

11. tomeoftom says:

As gorgeous as this seems, it’s kinda of in an akward spot. Garry’s Mod has so much more depth to it. I’m not sure how the gravity stuff will drastically improve that kind of gameplay (also, Garry’s Mod has a relative gravity addon which allows for exactly this, and you can even choose which surfaces and objects to apply the relative gravity to).

12. Flappybat says:

Shame you have to stare at an ugly robots Y fronts for the entire game.

13. DickSocrates says:

Looks interesting, but the manual nature of the construction looks a little time consuming. Would be nice to have the option of a workshop type mode that allows you to make things without having to march the little man around. I know Minecraft is usually played manually, but there it’s very time consuming and irritating too once the ‘magic’ wears off. I no longer have enough life-credits left to spend them on busywork.

14. Hunchback says:

Will there be any Cak?

15. Khann says:

I don’t want to be “that guy”.. but I’m going to be “that guy”.

How does this compare to Minecraft? Why on earth is the first comparison for games that have any kind of construction always Minecraft? It’s like saying Minecraft is like The Incredible Machine.

As others in the comments have pointed out, Garry’s Mod would be a far more apt comparison.

Sorry for being “that guy”.

16. Caiman says:

It’s almost as though most people commenting on this didn’t make it to the end of the video or visit the Greenlight page where they explain this is just a polished concept right now, but they have grand plans for the game surrounding it including a single player campaign and a lot more multiplayer depth. So this is basically little more than a tech demo at the moment, but if they develop it properly it could be something special.

17. Jackablade says:

Puts me most in mind of the Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts game which I may have, you know, seen from a distance while sitting at my PC.

18. Nic Clapper says:

Looks super neat — def looking forward to seeing more gameplay of this.

19. hungrytales says:

Trurl and Klapaucius personified. At last!

• Bart Stewart says:

I look forward to the DLC in which Trurl builds a machine that can create any object whose name as translated by Michael Kandel into English starts with the letter “n.”

On second thought, given how that turned out maybe let’s skip that one.

20. InternetBatman says:

This looks really neat, I hope they go into further detail about your ability to modify asteroids.

21. Vandalbarg says:

Looks amazing, but the building looks a little sparse at the moment.

A PVP game with the gravity, asteroids, and some building would be amazing though.

22. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Interesting. I wonder how many building blocks/elements there will be though, and whether it’s more of a build and experiment game (test-chamber like) rather than the same, but in a world with a certain character. Minecraft has the latter, of course, and for me it really helped provide additional motivation to keep exploring and trying out new things. If it’s the former, I doubt I will get it. Experimenting in a vacuum (aha haha.. no pun intended) is unlikely to fascinate me for long.

23. ffordesoon says:

This was my reaction when I saw the headline of this post:

24. smeaa mario says:

Looks handsome enough although I somehow hate the use of robots in games.

25. Crazy Horse says:

It’s name rhymes with “whack” and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

• Aatch says:

Its name is MāK, unfortunately ‘ā’ is kinda hard to type (I copy-pasted it from wikipedia) so people type MaK. Also many system with either reject or mishandle non-Latin characters. The macron over the ‘a’ gives it the long sound.

Now, you can argue that ‘ā’ is actually more like ‘aa’, but the exact sound for a macron-vowel depends on what language you are using, with both usages being correct. Given that these developers seem to be from Europe, (possibly the East, but I don’t know the accents well enough) the usage of using ‘ā’ in ‘MāK’ to make it sound like ‘make’ is perfectly reasonable.

The situation is similar to cafe. Many people will pronounce it the “proper” way, with the accent on the ‘e’ implied, matching the original French “café”, but some pronounce it “caff”. The only reason the accent was dropped is because the English decided that we didn’t need no stinking diacritics! We’ll leave pronunciation ambiguous and confusing!

26. Shralla says:

Why on earth are they using a controller to demo it with? It was almost painful watching them move stuff around because it was so slow and imprecise.

Comment on this story