PlanetSide 2′s Ice Continent Dropping This Weekend

By Nathan Grayson on October 6th, 2012 at 8:00 am.

That's the soul-broken stare of a man who's forgotten what beaches even look like.

PlanetSide 2 takes place on a planet. An entire planet. If it didn’t, it’d be named Countryside, LargeLandmassSide, or Fred. And so, in that spirit, SOE’s adding a whole new continent – one of two more that are ultimately planned for the launch version. This one’s called Esamir, and it appears to be the estranged landson of the ice planet Hoth, what with all its frigid unpleasantness and potential for series-defining moments starring Harrison Ford. Take a peek at its peaks, valleys, and dangerously low-flying aircraft after the break.

So it certainly¬†looks cold, but that’s not all. Continuing an encouraging trend a couple recent multiplayer games have picked up, Esamir’s less-than-favorable weather will wind its chilly fingers into gameplay’s gears. SOE explained:

“On Esamir, base capture methods will be adjusted – strategize accordingly. Shield generators won’t be disabled as easily, so expect to run an overload process to secure victory. Additionally, soldiers will have new certifications to handle vehicles and weapons better, along with new sidegrades (LMGs, Carbines, Assault/Sniper Rifles) for each empire.”

Further, as you’d expect of a place that’s not exactly prime real estate, it’s only got 15 small outposts as opposed to Indar’s 52. Expect strength-in-numbers, then, to be a far less viable tactic.

Esamir will surface in PlanetSide 2′s beta sometime this weekend, so keep an eye out for it. Not that it should be that hard to find, seeing as, you know, it’s a continent and all.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Tei says:

This will be cool! Hope pop dont spread much, this continent will have another Crown?

• Tssha says:

I’m actually looking forward more to some open field vehicle battles myself. Or, to put it another way, having some more running room between bases and outposts to frag some vanguards, prowlers and lightnings in.

Now, who isn’t looking forward to an epic tank battle on a frozen lake? Show of hands people!

• Irregular Peanut says:

I would like to see some non-frozen lakes so that Magriders can really show off to the other factions.

Apparently they could hover over water in PS1, which sounds awesome.

2. BrendanJB says:

I love this game, but the beta just runs like absolute crap on my computer. Skyrim, Just Cause 2, Max Payne 3, Borderlands 2? Silky smooth. But PS2 is just a stutterfest; to the point where I can’t even play it, which makes me very sad. Hopefully it’s just the fact that it’s in beta, because I’d be really disappointed if I wasn’t able to join in when it is officially released.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Actually runs the same on those games as my system, if not better in a couple of cases, so fret not!

Are you AMD or Nvidia? Im AMD for my vid card which normally means everything is a fuck till a new driver up but not so this time. Running an Intel cpu though.

• Tssha says:

The Devs are on record as saying that optimization will be a continuous process, even after release! So, there’s a non-zero chance that your computer will be better able to run Planetside 2 after release than it can today.

Of course, upgrading your CPU wouldn’t hurt either, and upping the RAM to 4 gigs, but that last one’s pretty optional (RAM is cheap though).

• Aerothorn says:

That last one isn’t really optional. He probably already has 4 gigs, but with PS3 8 is recommended and they’re struggling to make it play well with 4. Anything less is going to be very, very unhappy. But as you said, RAM is cheap.

• Unaco says:

4GB RAM here, and I’m having no issues… Haven’t really had issues at any time during the Beta. Quad Core i5@~3GHz and 1GB ATI HD5770. I only see noticeable slowdown when there’s something stupid like a dozen Galaxys all crashing into the ground just infront of me. Everything on High, render @95% (I think).

• FeFiFoShizzle says:

could be your CPU. i have found that online component heavy games actually require much more cpu strength than other games. Rift for example, on my old rig everything was smooth (on mostly highest graphics) until i was in populated areas. its prolly either that or you need to update your GPU driver. i would suggest beta drivers (although im not sure how that works in the AMD world, as its been a while since ive owned one)

3. FloorBelow says:

This will be my battleground of choice.

4. Crimsoneer says:

Looks like the other continent, just in white, which is a real shame. They could have done some real cool stuff with the geography, but it doesn’t look that way.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

The trailer doesn’t tell me that much. Have you seen it elsewhere?

• Tssha says:

…is this comment for real?

ICE CRYSTALS! Rough, rocky, desolate landscapes! And all the bases are spread out more while being fewer in number. Can’t get much more different without using a whole different engine!

• explodeydendron says:

Indeed. There are lots of snow drifts up against walls, tunnels under some bases, trenches, a bridge base, etc… And having fewer, more spread-out bases will mean bigger battles.

• socrate says:

doesn’t take very much to sell to overhyped people already /rolleye

anyway i agree that they didn’t show anything that is new or original or look very fun,they need to start hiring people that made map from Unreal tournament.

but at least they are trying to balance thing a little bit more and make it a bit more of a teamplay game at least looking at the stuff they are planning to change.

i really wish it would be less about going back and forth and more about strategic battleground

5. nimzy says:

I can’t wait to get obliterated on a retextured version of Indar by people who have idled longer than I have!

• Sidion says:

So sad this is so true.

Game got stale HORRIBLY fast for me. Still trying to truck through it, but the only fun battles are had in large outfits…

And the downside is all large outfits are horribly mismanaged and impersonal.

• Tssha says:

The Devs nerfed idling. You will now be logged off if you go idle just so you can score some Auraxium.

Also, where the hell are people getting this idea that it’s a “retextured version of Indar”? We haven’t even been allowed to play on this continent yet, and yet with a few videos and pics, people are suddenly experts on the terrain. Well excuse me if I seem a bit sceptical…

6. Inglourious Badger says:

…still waiting for my beta invite. Gnargh! Sods law it’ll turn up the same day X-Com and Dishonored come out.

Oh wow, I am feeling my #firstworldgaming problems this morning!

7. Ansob says:

I really wish it’d end up having snowstorms that block radar/IFF, but I can’t imagine they’d actually do that. It’s a shame; it’d be nice if they used some of the more interesting properties of the geography/climate rather than it just being a different kind of pretty.

8. pepper says:

Aaah the best way to see a Terran, splattered across the window of my scythe!

9. Armante says:

oooooh 5gig update when I loaded up the beta. This may be it.. :)

10. Grey Ganado says:

I would like this game a lot more if I was in the beta.

11. Unaco says:

Rock, Traitor, Shotgun (NC for the win! The best of the RPS PS2 outfits, without a shadow of a doubt) had a pretty decent session yesterday evening. Only 8-9 people in all (although some potential players were missing or attending an ArmA2 ACE/ACRE session that is on Fridays as well. We’ve had more previously, 15-20 at times), but we got some decent teamwork going on, a good laugh, a biker gang assembled, and a whole heap of Barney heads and Elmo skins to decorate all of the lovely territory we captured.

People are more than welcome to join in with us*, although there’s just been a Character wipe and update, so we don’t know which server we’ll be assembling on again (most likely one of the EU ones, we were on Thyone previously). Check the thread above, or the forums, for more information. Or drop into the RPS Steam chat room… there’s a couple of us that loiter in there, with intent.

*So long as you have no alternative characters with the other ‘factions’ (why would you? Do you hate Freedom?), have never had alternative characters with the other ‘factions’, have no family members or friends with characters in the other ‘factions’, have never spoken to players/characters from the other ‘factions’, don’t consider the other ‘factions’ human, and have never so much as even entertained the deviant thoughtcrime of joining one of the other ‘factions’. Even if you are guilty of any of these heinous, despicable sins, we may be willing to accept you, if you’re willing to undergo a severe and brutal 10 week long re-education regime/spa retreat somewhere in Siberia.

12. wildy says:

Here are two unused beta keys.

ZCHD-E7DA-R3ZA-T2H2-M3JD

3CXH-CPGR-JJCH-DFFF-A3DZ

First come first served.
    Good luck

13. blacksun_redux says:

Reminds me of Hoth! Which makes me hope that someday, somehow, there will be a Star Wars Hoth mod….

ALL Lucasarts has to do is stop making CRAP and hire the PS2 dev team to get it done.

NO, you can’t have lego people! NO, you can’t force everyone to wear tights! NO you can’t keep churning out crap based on the SW prequel timeline!

Oh well, one can wish…

14. Stuka_JU87 says:

Here’s another key,
    3DCX-XCPP-MTEH-GGRT-JMX9
    I have some more I can dig up if anyone wants one.

• sbs says:

Took that one, thanks alot.
      Now where do I find the client after I sign up? It is nowhere to be found. I feel mighty stupid right now.

• Ludomation says:

I can has beta key, please?

• Stuka_JU87 says:

here’s another key and instructions

T77H-CM4X-Z2AE-ZFRP-RR9X

to Redeem:
        1. Go to http://www.PlanetSide2.com and enter your key.
        2. Go to http://www.PlanetSide2.com/download and login with your Station name and password.
        3. Download Launchpad and run/install.
        4. Login with your Station name and password to start downloading.
        5. When download is complete, press Play.

• Ludomation says:

Thank you!

And thanks to the person who was brave enough to steal it, but not to post about it.

• Throwaway34567 says:

That was me, I just saw the comment in the sidebar. I don’t think the beta key was intended for you, but here’s a new one MR4H-ZHT3-7D7Z-9EA4-PX3T because I feel bad. Good luck with it.

Oh, and anyone taking this one is at least as bad as me.

15. Armante says:

OK. So i have a spare beta key.

Other than straight out begging, and maybe recruiting Barneys or Smurfs, what’s the best way for me to give it away?

I want a good ol’ dirty TR player..

EDIT: Wow, no takers huh? I guess this topic went dead pretty quickly.

Comment on this story