12 People Haven’t Backed Project Eternity Yet

By Alec Meer on October 8th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Apparently approaching $2.5 million in pledges, from almost 54,000 backers, isn’t enough for Obsidian’s Project Eternity. They absolutely will not stop, ever, until you have pledged. With rumours circulating that 12 members of the human race are yet to back this olden-values RPG, Obsidian have dispatched expert assassins known as the Ladies of Pain to every city around the globe in an attempt to locate the members of this resistance then, after long and excruciating torture, convince them to stump up $20 for an isometric roleplaying game. I haven’t backed it myself, so… wait, who’s that at my door?

While I hide underneath the table, I’ll mention that they’ve also released a bunch of new stretch goals, rewards for well-monied backers and detailed some major features such as combat, mods and classes.

Here’s Obsidian’s Tim Cain (and Fallout’s primary creator, of course) talking predominantly about combat as part of a Reddit q&a.

In a lengthy project update, Obsidian also confirm that PE will indeed support mods, which will be hosted by the Nexus network most famous for its Skyrim and Fallout 3/NV files. They also say that “Our plan is to release our file-format information and expose as much of the data in the game as possible for you to extend and edit.” I’m going to make myself a player character with fifty billion hit points, is that OK?

On top of that, they’ve added an extra layer to their ‘mega-dungeon’ as a result of reaching 52,000 backers, with another one promised should they reach 55,000.

Which leads us back to stretch goals. In an earlier update, they promised the addition of the Barbarian and Cipher classes should they hit the magic $2.5 million (though want $2.6 million for both. So does that mean a playable class costs exactly $100,000 to create? I DON’T THINK SO.) You can find more information about those here, and here’s a video about it too.

The latest round of backer tiers involves upgrading the art book to hardback for people who have $250 to spare, and memorial stones with names/messages of their choice for the $500 nutters. Given there are now 230 of those folk, this might look a little weird in-game. Thought apparently you need a special in-game decoder ring to read them anyway. Righto then.

With eight days to go, presumably we haven’t heard the last of Obsidian’s nefarious plans to no longer get dicked over by publishers.

PE sounds ace, and I’m glad for Obisidan. But I kind of wish we could just get earnest, simple promises to make Kickstarter games better, longer or hire more staff as the money rolls in rather than this stretch goals and partitioning of features culture. There’s something unnatural about it, maybe even a bit cynical, though I do appreciate the need for self-promotion when ostensibly going it alone.

, , .

1. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I’m one of them. I’m sorry. But I know two people who have. It’s the new “6 degrees of kevin bacon”.

• Grey Ganado says:

Which in turn was the new “Erdős number”.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Is there anyone with both an Erdős number of 1 and a Bacon number of 1?

• ventricule says:

Nope but Dave Bayer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Bayer is the recordman, with Erdös and Bacon number 2.

• Mithyris says:

Also one of the best-known actors with a number is actress Natalie Portman, whose authorship of a psychology paper while at Harvard University earned her an Erdős–Bacon number of 6

• Persus-9 says:

Still there are a good few people with Erdős number 1 about so I guess there is still hope that there could be. If I was casting bit parts for a movie with Bacon in it I don’t think I’d be able to resist making phone calls and seeing if I could rope somebody into it.

My own personal dream is to someday have a finite Erdős–Bacon number. Some day…

• McDan says:

Same, I haven’t backed yet. I’ll get right on it if I ever get any money again.

• Bhazor says:

I prefer Six Degrees of Bergerac as show cased by Will “No I’m not that Will Smith” Smith http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLHRbqJf1Ek

• Jenks says:

I haven’t backed it either. If the reviews are great, and Obsidian’s sob stories of oppressive publishers ruining all their past games turn out to be true, I’ll pick it up then.

2. Stardog says:

I’m sure 7+ news stories on the project will help with that.

The rich get richer, I suppose.

Revisor says:

Why so bitter, sir? And where are the riches you speak of?

3 millions can pay a team of roughly 30 people in California to work on a game for 18 months.

• InternetBatman says:

Obsidian had to lay off a bunch of people fairly recently for financial constraints, that’s not exactly the rich getting richer.

puppybeard says:

Bum to your “rich get richer”, bum, I say!

It’s actually a case of “talented veteran artists propose an idea people are excited about, and the combination of these two elements results in investment”.

Not exactly Goldman Sachs.

• Stardog says:

“But this is a team of veterans, blah, blah, blah” – hence the rich getting richer. It’s like Barcelona getting seeded for the Champions League. They do not need the help, being a big club already, and it only makes it even easier for them to win.

• lcy says:

Speak for yourself. I first heard about Kickstarter as a result of a team of ‘veterans’, and it’s led to me backing much smaller projects as well. I’d likely never have discovered it in different circumstances.

• Bhazor says:

True story, Kickstarter funded games existed before Double Fine used it.

• lcy says:

I don’t doubt it – but the fact that Double Fine and Obsidian are getting funded now, doesn’t mean that no-one’s funding indies. I am, and I likely wouldn’t be otherwise. I doubt that I’m the only person who only started pledging because of some of the bigger teams.

Unless, of course, this is more a complaint that Kickstarter is no longer an ‘exclusive’ establishment. To that complaint, I have no answer.

• Bhazor says:

I agree with you.
            My point being that Kickstarter funded games existed before Double Fine Adventure. There just wasn’t many people paying attention.

I know there are a bunch of small games I’ve backed such as Paper Sourcer and Starship Corporation that I would never have heard of if I hadn’t signed up to Kickstarter for Wasteland 2 and Adventure.

• Sheng-ji says:

So RPS et al should only report on news that no-one is particularly interested in, to try to manipulate people into being more interested in it, and somehow that would give them the moral high ground over sites which give more coverage to news people are more interested in.

What a strange place your head is.

• Sheng-ji says:

Hang on a minute Stardog:

You dislike the idea that talented game makers or sportsmen get more money than less talented game makers or sportsmen.

You dislike the idea that if a sports team achieves major success they get entry into elite competitions.

Are you Trenton Oldfield or one of his followers?

jrodman says:

Regarding the sports, I blieve the complaint is that they get a preferential treatment in a tournament. Which shows a lack of understanding of how tournaments are structured.

They’re pretty much always set up to try to arrange for the two best teams to play in the finals, which means they are set up to knock out the lesser teams as early as possible. That’s just how it works.

The only time this gets problematic is if the choice of teams is based on some subjective choice instead of a ranking system everyone understands.

• atticus says:

Also, as has been pointed out many times before, this is a blog.

It’s not so much a matter of anyone “giving” newsitems, it’s a few guys writing about things they’re passionate about. Maybe you’re disappointed with which piece of news get the most attention, but you really shouldn’t come here expecting a balanced coverage in the first place.

Revisor says:

Interesting how we differ in our view. For you Project Eternity is “the rich getting richer”, for me it’s the return of the lost genre created by underdogs surviving on paid work for others.

If you had paid attention to the discussion about game development budgets started by Double Fine, you would see that 3 million is pretty small budget for a mid-sized game (and laughable from the point of view of a mainstream blockbuster game).

• lcy says:

Indeed. For all the money going to bigger teams, I can’t help but see the downsides for them. For starters, a Kickstarter is, for the most part, going to reduce day one sales. Add that to the ‘DRM free’ copies being promised, and they’ve reduced the chance of being picked up by a publisher considerably.

For a team of full time, experienced developers, that’s quite an extra risk to take, compared with just pushing out a clone for someone on contract. In comparison, an indie, with a small team working part time and for no pay, which has no chance of getting a publisher at all, will see only positives from Kickstarter.

jrodman says:

Interesting to see how the “DRM” politics work out, but the ‘loss’ of sales is really not very bad when you look at the average contribution size, and think about fees by retailers, publishers. They’re doing better than if these were all sales.

Really I suspect they’ll be better off, as the backers can all act as word of mouth hype generators when the release comes.

• aliksy says:

[quote]People are excited about it because sites like this RPS/etc decide what becomes popular by giving them a seperate news item.[/quote]

This is either poorly worded or so stupid it’s offensive. People are excited for the project for many reasons, and I’m pretty sure “it was covered by RPS!” is not one of them.

• Lucid says:

Yes, because they didn’t just have a massive lay off.
          Also, people pledged to this kickstarter because it’s god damned OBSIDIAN.

Take your cynicism and shove it, sir.

• derbefrier says:

nice avatar :D

• PopeJamal says:

Corporations lay off people all the time because of “LOL no monies!!!!!” while funneling riches into the pockets of executives.

I’m not saying that they did that, just that there’s not always a direct correlation between layoffs and not being profitable.

Also, I agree with the original poster to an extent, but I also realize that the RPS crew can post chicken pot pie recipes if they wanted to because it’s their site. If they ever do something “bad”, I’ll stop reading. But they seem fine to me so far.

puppybeard says:

“People are excited about it because sites like this RPS/etc decide what becomes popular by giving them a seperate news item.” – bum again! Writers focus attention based on merit, readers recognise the merit. What alternative is there?

“They should either put all KS projects in the KS roundup, or give them all a single news item.” – that’s your opinion. Personally, I enjoy it when they focus on a project, Kickstarter-funded or otherwise. This project isn’t actually for me, to be honest, but it’s interesting to read about how it’s coming together, nonetheless.

It’s like Barcelona getting seeded for the Champions League. No it isn’t. It’s like people paying to see Barcelona in action, because they’re demonstrably a highly proficient football team, and so they’re guaranteed to see a top-notch game.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

And what of the things like Old School RPG? RPS posted a single story on their kickstarter, but it’s not as promising as PE so hasn’t reached a quarter of it’s goal.

So what’s really causing PE to raise so much money, the RPS stories or the promise of the game?

• Nick says:

You are full of shit.

• dsi1 says:

Agreed, Project Eternity is getting millions off of its millions, all the while Blackspace is out right languishing at a third of the goal with only a little more than a week left!

• daraujo says:

Yes. Lucre should only be allowed to members of the communist party.
      For the people, of course.

• Mctittles says:

Often the poor get richer as well.

3. Mr. Mister says:

Yei for Nexus.

4. Arathian says:

Proof member of the 6 billion that have backed the project.

Down with the 0.000000001 percent!

5. coffeetable says:

From Feargus Urquhart the Kickstarter comments:

“The largest amount is where they don’t have information on where the person came from (20%), then about 15% from Kickstarter and then the biggest external site is Rock, Paper, Shotgun at 5%”

which is about $120,000 (£75,000 in real money).

Congrats RPS – it seems you have more “pull” amongst a certain segment of gamers than any other site on the ‘net.

• Lolmasaurus says:

I”m a relative newcomer here, but I frequent this site and will stand by the claim that the people I’ve met here are some of the most metaphorically tasty slices of the internet population pie graph.

6. Kid_A says:

I’m sorry, I’m just not interested in an isometric RPG. Huh, who would be ringing the doorbell at this hour?

7. quintesse says:

11 ! *phew* Just in time.

Yachmenev says:

RPS should ask Obsidian about how these stretch goals actually works. Will the money go to hiring extra people to do these extra tasks, or that the money extends the budget so that the exisisting team members can work on the game for a longer period. And if it´s the later alternative, does it mean that it will push the release date of the game?

• coffeetable says:

The devs have addressed this somewhere or other – it’ll be going into expanding the team. They’re still aiming for an 18 month release schedule, with delivery in Spring 2014.

• J_C says:

They already addressed this. The stretch goals are not about actual budgets. Just like in every kickstarter project, they are just marketing tools to give a goal to the people.

• Emeraude says:

That’s a big problem I have with the way stretch goals are evolving. At first, they made sense: the project creator has little to no way to refuse money, even when the original vision is well past funded, but still has an obligation to use that money for the originally project only. It makes sense then to devise new ways of spending that outpouring excess money.

But it seems to me it’s slowly turning into nothing a marketing ploy to foster more donations. Not sure I like that to be honest.

Continuity says:

I get where you’re coming from but getting extra funding, and thus extra content, for a game i’ve been dreaming of for years is in no way bad in my books. I think maybe we’ve all become a little cynical with all the new monetisation methods publishers have been coming up with over the last few years.

9. FFabian says:

I always assumed the steps represent the (yearly) salary of the guys they need to hire to make it happen in time. I know I’m naive …

• coffeetable says:

Nah, they ask for way more than they need to implement the feature in question and then roll the excess into improving the game as a whole. For evidence of this, note that the first stretch goal was $300k for a race, class and companion while the third was $200k for the same.

• InternetBatman says:

They’ve stated that the stretch goals unequally represent the amount of work/money they need to put certain features in; some take more than they ask for, others take less.

10. f1x says:

Hum, ….the ladies of pain,…. I should hold my money a bit more then :D

11. jellydonut says:

I’m not really the target demographic considering I haven’t even played the games they’re inspired by, I just want another good RPG. One that can make me love it and the world as much as Fallout/2 did.

The stretch goals do seem a bit ‘artificial’ as you put it, but it’s really the only way to do it. They have to have tangible goals for each milestone, they can’t just say ‘give us more money and the game will be better in every way’ even though that’s true. That’s not how our primate brains work. :p

jrodman says:

Well, it’s not even true. It’s not true that a given project with more money will necessarily produce a game that’s better in every way.

This is going to be a complex, dynamical, essnetially unmodelable system. The result of tweaking single inputs like “funding capital” by small percentages on the end result is unpredictable. In practice, in both craft, and art, and even engineering, sometimes the team going for razor thin economy produces the best results. And sometimes not.

The only thing we can really be sure of is that more funding gives more potential for risk reduction to Obsidian (if they use it wisely). And even that can be lost due to psychology.

Alll the same, I’m willing to bet the odds of success rise as the funding does, in broad strokes. I just don’t know that i’m right. :-)

12. The Godzilla Hunter says:

People who haven’t backed! A warning! By saying Lady of Pain, then they are able to fi

• Kid_A says:

So it’s a bit like Candleja

• Williz says:

You didn’t say his name you moron, Candlejack only gets you mid sent

• razorramone says:

You fell for it

• BrendanJB says:

Did I mistakenly go to Reddit instead of RPS?

Oh, no. I didn’t.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Ok everyone, pack up and leave. Brenden says that we aren’t allowed to have fun anymore.

• apocraphyn says:

Well, Brendan’s a sillyface because that meme outdates Reddit.

Talking of which, who’s saying that Candlejack isn’t a Lady o

jrodman says:

Can we start a new meme about invoking the name of unsavory websites and how they do the operation on us to make us stupid?

(It would conveniently cover for how I’m getting stupider every day.)

13. int says:

I like Josh Sawyer’s rising inflection. And that’s not a euphemism.

14. Rao Dao Zao says:

I am one of the 12! I just want some assurance that the boxed copy will be DRM free. ;_;

• InternetBatman says:

They said the boxed copy comes with the digital option too and you can chose DRM free (from GoG) for the digital option. If it really bothers you why not try sending Feargus Urqhart an email/getting on the forums, stranger things have happened.

15. Caiman says:

Do we have to do an intricate financial analysis on how much time and money it really costs them to deliver an additional stretch goal? Isn’t it obvious that they’re just using them as carrots, and what in the hell is wrong with them doing that? Would you prefer “For an additional $42,398.41 (the actual salary time required for 2.4 people to implement and test this new feature) we can add a new class!” People flip flop around with their opinions about Kickstarter strategies like an eel being electrocuted. Frankly I think it’s a model KS campaign and they’re doing a brilliant job drumming up additional money to help make a better game. As if anyone really believed they could produce a AAA RPG for their initial 1.1 million goal. Now they have a more realistic amount of money.

16. kyrieee says:

I’ll buy it when it comes out if it’s any good, like any other game.

• Vinraith says:

Exactly. Obsidian’s output is nowhere near consistent enough to warrant a preorder, let alone a pre-pre-pre-order.

• Prime says:

This. Their stuff ain’t that great.

Lars Westergren says:

54239 people have proven that you are objectively wrong, Vinraith.
        ;)

• Vinraith says:

And those folks are welcome to finance this game so that, when it’s released, I can see whether it’s worth buying. Honestly, I think most patrons of most Kickstarters are suckers, but I’d never deny that they’re useful suckers. :)

jrodman says:

More power to you and your band of holdouts!

(seriously, totally reasonable)

17. Xaromir says:

They are funded already! Let’s focus on the Oldschool RPG instead to get more awesome games to happen! :D

• Xaromir says:

Reminds me – why are most of those projects “oldschool” in some way, where are the fresh and new ideas?

• Bhazor says:

As I said in that thread.

No mention of the successful innovative games?
          FTL?
          Moon Intern?
          Dead State?
          Banner Saga?
          Clang?!?
          Fucking Planetary Annihilation?!?!

• Scifibookguy says:

Bhazor said: “Second of all, what exactly do you expect famous developers who only ever worked in one genre to do? Why for example would I want Chris Avellone to make a football sim? He is known for RPG’s. He is passionate about making RPGs. I like RPGs he has made. Ergo I want him to make RPGs.”

This. 100%.

• InternetBatman says:

Even Project Eternity, which is probably the most backward looking of the Kickstarters, has new ideas like swapping out spellbooks in the middle of battle and spell level based cooldowns. These were mentioned in the videos above.

Genre does not imply a lack of creativity, and a lot of these are resurrecting fallen genres.

Naum says:

When someone’s asking for innovation and you have to get down into the nitty gritty of cooldown mechanics, I’m not sure that really qualifies… Project Eternity will hopefully be a great game for those who loved the reference titles and want more of that, but I can’t see any indication of it making substantial changes to the traditional RPG formulas. Which is unfortunate for me since I’ve never really liked those, but apparently very fortunate for a lot of other people, so I’m fine with it.

Now let’s fortify that front door a bit…

• Bhazor says:

When someone’s asking for innovation and you have to get down into the nitty gritty of controls, I’m not sure that really qualifies… System Shock will hopefully be a great game for those who loved oldfirst person shooters and want more of that, but I can’t see any indication of it making substantial changes to the traditional shooting formula. Which is unfortunate for me since I’ve never really liked those, but apparently very fortunate for a lot of other people, so I’m fine with it.

See what I did there? I’m saying that System Shock is basically just a Doom clone (at most a Ultima Underworld clone) if you decide having a recognizable genre automatically precludes any type of innovation.

Naum says:

Haven’t played either System Shock or Doom I’m afraid. In case that doesn’t exclude me from any useful discussion on the subject anyway, you’ll unfortunately have to elaborate on why your example shows that I’m wrong.

Besides, I didn’t say that being part of a genre precludes innovation. But neither have I seen any indication of it with regards to Project Eternity. If you have — which is not terribly unlikely, given that I haven’t followed the Kickstarter progress too closely — feel free to elaborate.

• InternetBatman says:

This is a difference between iterative change and complete change. Iterative change is just as, if not more, important as complete change. Iterative change leads to a more polished, more complete product. Civ IV was the most polished and arguably (personal preference) the best Civ game. Civ V offered greater, more complete change, but wasn’t nearly as polished. Starcraft and Half-Life 2 are more examples of polish triumphing over change. The calls for more complete change miss the value of iteration and are misguided anyways because complete change is happening too.

Iteration is the nitty gritty. It’s the difference between Dune, Red Alert, Starcraft, Warcraft III, and Dawn of War. It’s building small ideas on big ones, until the small ideas become a towering change. The ability to change spellbooks, offering more powerful or appropriate spells at the cost of time is a fairly substantial tactical decision. Spell combinations (from DA) similarly offered a more nuanced decision, and their implementation could make them better. Adding pscionocists, a class which normally plays differently from every other class and hasn’t been well implemented in any game I’ve played, is another small but important change. Maybe someone else will build on these and further change the genre.

• Lemming says:

The one you mention doesn’t actually sound that awesome, tbh.

• coffeetable says:

I’m more than a little skeptical of the Old School RPG. I’ve got a laundry list of reasons why: the only games that have been put out by Loot Drop are Facebook games. The actual, good games the developers have worked on previously are almost all >ten years old. The writing sample they posted is… pretty bad, to say the least. And more than any of that, they simply don’t specify anything beyond “it’ll be awesome! And old school! And awesome”.

Now DFA and P:E were both similarly vague, but the thing is that both those studios have established track records. Loot Drop doesn’t, and as such vague promises and name dropping people I haven’t heard of in a decade comes across as a little… dodgy. Not as in that they’ll take the money and run, but as in I don’t think the game they turn out will be any good.

• InternetBatman says:

I was wary about Wasteland for the same reason. Still backed it though. I only backed Shadowrun after I saw that they had released some moderately well reviewed iOS games.

18. Stevostin says:

I want to play anothe Fallout by Obsidian with a Bethesday engine/gameplay badly. Please stop doing those useless baldur revival (and all your “tactical” combats have always been crap anyway, from Fallout to BG to planetscape torment) and get a deal for a New Vegas sequel. I miss Mojave. Do something, damn it !

Lars Westergren says:

Talk to Bethesda, it is entirely up to them.

• Unaco says:

They are doing something. They are doing what they want… something the Obsidian devs have wanted to do for a long, long time. Why can’t you be happy for them, and stop being so selfish?

• Stevostin says:

So what you are saying is that I am selfish because they do the game they want to do without caring what a vast majority of gamer want (FNV : 5 millions sales – I don’t think anyone expect PE to do one tenth of that in their wildest dreams…). Oh, the irony :P

OK, my post was a little trolling but basically it’s terrible to see Obsidian, which never made a tactical top down game even remotely interesting (95% of combat have one obviously winning tactic + a shitload of rolls) tactical game focus on doing that again. They always did it in an especially crappy way (while others such as XCom or jagged alliance or HOMM were doing really well) but they were good in creating RPG universe, the best one being Fallout. So yes, I am annoyed to see that they’re going for yet another project mixing the least interesting world they’ve been doing with one kind of gameplay they repeatedly failed at doing even “just ok”. I wish someone there see the light.

And yes, it’s Bethesda’s pick too and I am bitching them too. There just should always be a Fallout game in the making just like there’s always a TES one. FNV is by far Obsidian’s best game with Vampire Bloodlines (and possibly KOTOR2 with patches). Press failed to see it (boohoo) but not the audience. Why the hell isn’t a new fallout game confirmed ?

• Bhazor says:

But the combat in Fallout NV is really really shit. If you’re complaining about bad combat you should be complaining about New Vegas. Though it is marginally better than the combat in Fallout 1 and 2.

• apocraphyn says:

I respectfully disagree. That is all.

EDIT: I disagree about the combat in Fallout 1 and 2 being worse, that is. I was quite fond of the isometric turn-based format, much more than the first person “sorta-turn-based-but-not-really” system.

• InternetBatman says:

I found it a delightful improvement over Fallout 3. Melee weapons just feel more solid, and a lot of the special animations are neat. The meltdown perk made energy weapons a bit ridiculous, and all the special ammo was a bit silly, but other than that I really enjoyed the feel of the combat.

jrodman says:

I don’t think you’re going to convince us by telling us that Fallout 1/2 had terrible gameplay.

• kud13 says:

Obsidian did not do Bloodlines.

Troika made Bloodlines.

Also, Obsidian is not known for combat. Obsidian is known for story/dialogue/choice+consequences.
          Thus, Planescape: Torment (if you played that game for combat, you were doing it wrong), Alpha Protocol, etc.

Project eternity is for all intents and purposes a spiritual sequel to Baldur’s gate, with Icewind Dale combt, and Planescape’s-depth story. it’s Obsidian going to its roots–the stuff they did best.

• Crosmando says:

I bet the former head honchos of Troika; Leonard Boyarsky (currently working on Diablo 3 at Blizzard) and Jason Anderson (currently at Turtle Rock Studios) are currently looking at their old buddy Tim Cain in jealousy over the fact that he’s able to go back to developing old-school RPG’s.

Also I wonder what Jon Van Caneghem is doing these days? Is he still in the games industry?

• InternetBatman says:

I think Anderson’s working on Wasteland 2, so probably not as much. Leonard Boyarsky probably uses money to wipe tears away.

• J_C says:

You are retarded. Please die.

*Vampire Bloodlines is not Obsidian’s work btw.

• USER47 says:

You get virtual thumb down for that “planetscape” spelling.

Lars Westergren says:

> On top of that, they’ve added an extra layer to their ‘mega-dungeon’ as a result of reaching 52,000

Minor quibble, I think it is one level per 2500 extra donors over 50000. Also one level per 20 000 Facebook likes, and they are now up to 40 000. So the Endless Paths dungeon should be 7 levels deep now.

Me, I’m hoping for a very rich bestiary in the game. Few things suck the fun out of games for me than having repetetive enemies. I’m hoping for varied looks, and the need for varied strategy. Also non-agressive ambient wildlife.

• Supahewok says:

Um, can you share a link for those Facebook likes? ‘Cuz when I check it out they aren’t quite past 9000 yet…

Lars Westergren says:

Oh right, it is counting the number of “likes” for Obsidian. Not the number of likes for the Kickstarter project. 6 levels then.

• Bootsy81 says:

I’m sure they’ll include the Facebook likes thing in the next update, which is due later today. When they do I’d imagine they’ll get the 20k likes without too much problem. If everyone who backed the KS so far likes them on FB they would have over 40k likes, and I don’t see why they wouldn’t, it doesn’t cost them anything. Theoretically they should get 2 mega-dungeon levels out of it. Hopefully…

• Supahewok says:

Hopefully. Especially since the donations have been drying up for the past few days. Maybe they’ll be a nice push in the last couple of days, but at the moment it doesn’t look like the number of backers won’t get that much higher. Which is probably what the Facebook thing is for.

I’m replaying Icewind Dale 2 right now, and if every one of the Mega-Dungeonn’s levels has the same level of detail as some of the dungeons in that game, I will be a very happy gamer.

Lars Westergren says:

> Especially since the donations have been drying up for the past few days.

No, it’s holding steady at around 500 new backers and £30k per day.

>Maybe they’ll be a nice push in the last couple of days

Probably, it is the usual pattern for Kickstarters. I’m hoping for around $150k per day the last couple of days, and that the Kickstarter will end somewhere $3.5-4M.

• InternetBatman says:

The average for the last seven days has been $30k, but there’s been a marked uptick in interest after the last three updates where they get into more fine details about combat and they also added the pictures of the megadungeon and the traveling path. So assuming they get $35k a day for five days you get $175k, and then $400k to $600k more in the final three days (the last three days are where you see the big jumps; Wasteland 2 made $400k then), that ends at somewhere between $3m and $3.2m.

I originally thought it would be a little bit higher than $3.5m, judging from Wasteland 2 numbers. If you look at Wasteland 2′s numbers, it has a huge jump as soon as Obsidian/Avellone collaboration is announced, and it stays at least double what it should have been for the rest of the kickstarter, and then the new reward tier further buoys it. If kicktraq had the full numbers for Shadowrun returns it might have been a bit more accurate.

We haven’t seen the paypal numbers though, so who knows how much is on there? Doublefine only made $110k, and it had extra expensive tiers.

Lars Westergren says:

Another $30k from PayPal according to the Obsidian twitter feed.

20. Lowbrow says:

I don’t know Tim Cain, how WOULD a human grapple a centaur? What an unanswerable question! If only there was some sort of template you could go by…something carved in marble, so you could view different angles of the action….

• InternetBatman says:

Isn’t that some sort of giant doing the kneeing in the crotch?

• Lowbrow says:

There’s actually an entire category of Classical art called centauromachy, often used on public buildings. It’s all based on a wedding where the centaur guests tried to rape everyone.

Here’s a more modern centaur fight by Canova, which is only 200 years old:

It’s a funny example for Cain to choose, because there are literally thousands of depictions of people grappling centaurs, made by the best artists in the world.

• Tommando says:

Well guys it’s not a matter of not being able to figure out how it would work. That’s pretty simple I think. Though grappling with a centaur seems like a terrible idea in a fight, since you are essentially wrestling a horse with the intelligence and dexterity of a man. Good luck with that. But point being, the hard part would be implementing all the animations. If it was a centaurs only affair it could be done but with centaurs and fifty other non-humanoid creatures grappling becomes a rather impracticable proposition.

21. squareking says:

I want to be a cipher.

22. derbefrier says:

i am one of those 12. I ‘ll just buy it when its done and released. I have not and probably never will use kickstarter but I thank all of you that do for making this game possible!

23. Scifibookguy says:

All Kickstarter projects have to be evaluated as risk vs. reward and faith in the developer. Do you have the faith to risk that a developer / development team can make what they promise? How deep is your faith? For me, my faith in Project Eternity is worth $50, due to the prior Obsidian games which I’ve loved. For An Old-School RPG it’s worth $15. I have more faith in a game that I want to play being finished and released by Obsidian, than I do with Loot Drop, based on track records and recent games. I actually like the game’s background (fantasy world and sci-fi world linked by a bridge) that I’ve seen released by Loot Drop for An Old-School RPG but they haven’t made a PC game in a long time, so I limit my risk. I do think, though, that Loot Drop will need to put out a lot more info if they want to get funded.

24. MythArcana says:

I have a bad feeling about all of this. We shall see…

25. His Dudeness says:

Well, I haven’t backed it. Doesn’t that make it more than 12 already…just here on RPS??

Vandelay says:

Think I’m more excited about the Ladies of Pain then Project Eternity. Was considering a pledge, but think I’ve got the better deal.

27. madmatt213 says:

I actually just cancelled my Kickstarter pledge for the game, mainly because the near daily updates via email were pissing me off. And every day I’d get one of their email updates, I’d think about what my $20 could go towards instead.

And I sure am thankful that Kickstarter allows pledges to be cancelled!

• Emeraude says:

Or you could have just turned off the update feature in your Kickstarter profile.

(Not that I don’t understand the sentiment.)

28. Strangerator says:

I personally prefer to see game features promised as stretch goals. If each goal was something like, “we’ll hire another programmer” that doesn’t really mean anything to a prospective supporter of the game. The goals would probably be very disproportionately costed and not exciting in the least.

I’m wondering where the RPS animus is coming from towards this particular KS project… is it just sour grapes that the fantasy setting is being used? If this were titled Subterranean Anthropomorphic Banana Quest would that be ok? Yes, fantasy has been done almost to death, but very rarely is it done right. Let’s see how this turns out before we write it off.

29. Chubzdoomer says:

Guys, I have a question about this. It may be a stupid one, but I’ll ask it anyways. If I can’t afford to back the project right now, will it still be possible to obtain the game later this year (or sometime next)? In other words, once this Kickstarter project “ends,” will the game be available only to those who backed it or will it be sold separately on Obsidian’s website as well? I know it’s probably a silly question, but again, I just had to ask.

• Emeraude says:

The Kickstarter is just to gather capital to fund the project. Once completed, the game will be on sale (via GoG or Steam – just don’t use Steam [subliminal message]).

If you can’t afford it now, don’t worry. If anything it helps them just as much: they’ll need to sell games too for the venture to be successful.

30. Baresark says:

I used to back all the projects that I could. And I was never disappointed, but I found that I am not happy backing things that are beyond a certain distance out, and I am unable to make an exception to this rule, even for this. Estimated April 2014 is too far out for my blood.

31. vodkarn says:

I am waiting for whether or not they add co-op. I gave with 5 friends and we always play these together (BG1+2, NWN, etc)

32. Rusty says:

Obsidian is out there. They can’t be bargained with. They can’t be reasoned with….