Fiddle Me This: Total War – Rome II

By Adam Smith on October 8th, 2012 at 9:03 am.

How far will you go for Rome? That’s the question asked by the new trailer for Totalest War XII: Rome II. Will you go so far as to launch the heads of statues at people as if you were the deity of ten-pin bowling? That the kind of thing Rome seems to demand. I think the word Creative Assembly would like people to use when discussing all this Carthiginian conflict is ‘epic’. I’m going to go with ‘quite big’. It looks like quite a big war, with potential to be total.

Yes. Quite big.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. strangelingo says:

Sloppy, Mr Smith. Very sloppy!

2. razgon says:

I could have sworn you already posted this video – but apparently I saw this elsewhere.

Anyways – While it looks awesome, I can tell I need a new Cray supercomputer to play it, or so it seems based on what they have shown so far. Very excited! LOVE the first Rome: Total war – Its still one of the games I play once every year.

I hope they can improve on the original, instead of just building upon Shogun 2, which was so-so.

• Askeladd says:

Have they failed to tell us how they actually want to improve the series, or is it just my sketchy memory, as I’m pretty sure I have read all news regarding Rome II.

Things which make me rage in Shogun 2:

– bad campaign AI
      – economy system
      – slightly bad battle AI
      – cheating AI
      – lack of possible application of real world tactics, i.e. retreating fight to create an opening in the enemy formation
      – boring endgame
      – lackluster research trees
      – cashing in with mediocre mini DLCs
      – castle variation and their execution

It all boils down to mass dying pixels for entertainment.

• Dave Talbot says:

The less than satisfactory AI has always been a ‘feature’ of TW games. The best memories I have of the original Rome were formed whilst playing heavily modded versions. Medieval II as well, for that matter.

• Askeladd says:

There’s a limit how much a mod can possibly hope to archive.
          The problem lies elsewhere: Their main goal is our money, we shouldn’t forget that fact.

• iniudan says:

Come on the AI was at least using somewhat decent tactic in Shogun 2, was not has random has in all the previous Total War, at least outside of siege. What it missed in Shogun 2 was mostly flexibility.

• S Jay says:

I had a very strong impression about this too.

3. JoeGuy says:

Only picked up Shogun 2 on the weekend during the sale. Wait. Its like it was planned!!

4. lordcooper says:

Looks cool, but I really wish they’d drop the CoD filter.

5. Magnusm1 says:

Real is indeed, brown.

• Sheng-ji says:

Most games can be alt tabbed out of, retaining their colour filter. You can then adjust your settings to counteract it (Or use a spyder if you’ve got one) and then play the game in glorious technicolour!

6. omujahid says:

I haven’t seen one video for this game which makes me as excited as when I watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvZWOG8QkOg. I spent YEARS on that game. Rome is the best TW imo.

• slaim says:

Me, I hope Rome II will have soundtrack that going to make my hair stand on end for another decade

• President Weasel says:

Oh wow, that intro really brings back memories. I loved Rome Total War too, must have spent easily 100+ hours playing the various factions. I got a ghost of the old excitement there watching the epic intro.
      Sadly I don’t feel the same way about the series these days. I dabbled with Shogun 2, and I doubt I’ll pick up Rome 2 until it gets heavily reduced.

Gap Gen says:

It’s a shame that (at the time, at least) you wouldn’t ever get a battle that big due to computer power at the time. That’s another thing about Scourge of War – because it looks like Medieval 1, it can afford to have something like 40,000 doomed soldiers on the field at the same time.

7. Dave Talbot says:

I want to see Gauls!

Phinor says:

This 1min44sec trailer has actual content for less than half of its length. That’s a bit annoying.

9. waypoint says:

I guess german mg’s made taking those walls harder than it looked.

10. Ultramegazord says:

Jesus, what’s up with the excessive use of those filters? First the movies, now the games, what’s the point? Making everything look the same? Are they trying to create a dramatic mood on a RTS game? This isn’t the 300 movie.

Hope they give the option to turn it off.

11. BestFriends4Ever says:

Adam, with all due respect, I fink you already dun dis ting blud, innit?

12. Bhazor says:

The failures of the RPS staff must be branded ‘pon their brow!

13. Dances to Podcasts says:

“Will you go so far as to launch the heads of statues at people as if you were the deity of ten-pin bowling?”

Having played Rock of Ages, yes, yes I will.

14. Wooly says:

OH GOD ELEPHANTS *flails*

15. Lowbrow says:

Carthage must be DESTROYED, not merely punished! Don’t bowdlerize the dialogue Mr. War!

16. DarkMalice says:

Looks great; but after buying every single Total War and expansion to date (of which Rome and Medieval 2 were by far the most enjoyable thanks to mods), I don’t feel like I really need more of the same.
    Maybe in a few months when it’s on sale.

17. anduin1 says:

Day 1 purchase for me. I’ve been waiting for this game since Medieval 2, constantly cursing the announcements of every title that wasn’t Rome 2. I really really hope they put in substantial mod support, I still play the original to this day because of the outstanding mods released by the community. Also I hope the map is substantial, Shogun 2 and FotS were the smallest a map should be whereas the Rome map is quite substantial even compared to Empire which arguably has the biggest map. Would love a release date for the holidays but that’s probably wishful thinking.

• Grygus says:

I am with you. No idea what’s up with all of these naysayers; I hope they all find games they like elsewhere.

18. tvcars says:

Just another rehash. Boring.

19. Crazy Horse says:

What exactly is meant to be “epic” by the burning of Carthage? That city was destroyed almost effortlessly many years after the power of Carthage was broken in the first Punic wars. The final blow was done as an afterthought; like a kid killing an insect he was toying with.

Ah well, at least it has a lot of pretty colors.