Hail To The Chef: Cook, Serve, Delicious Demo

By Adam Smith on October 8th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

Games have taught me quite a lot about cooking and running a restaurant, mostly that it’s all about time management. It’s absolutely fine to rush from cleaning a blocked toilet to kneading burger meat into a patty as long as it’s all done efficiently. Cook, Serve, Delicious (!) has an admirable name. I expected another verb at the end, making a full sequence of actions, but why say ‘eat’ when you can shout ‘delicious’? The game is from the makers of The Oil Blue and contains a basic management metagame wrapped around a core of juggling orders, preparing and purchasing ingredients, and trying not to become overwhelmed by gluttonous demands. There’s a demo and even a freeware game of old that this appears to be based on.

I’ve liked games about food ever since Pizza Tycoon somehow grabbed my attention. I was a teenager who leafed past all the new warfighters in the game mags and saw a picture of pepperoni being placed on a pizza, and thought that looks interesting. I was genuinely disappointed when I found out there was a whole gangster aspect to the game because I was just interested in experimenting with toppings.

Cook, Serve, Delicious is out now at $8.95 and is also on Steam Greenlight.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ian says:

Cooking games aren’t really to my taste.

• Velko says:

Yep, and I’ve heard the execution in this one is half-baked at its best.

Dilapinated says:

If you don’t like the genre, just don’t spread the dough for it.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Well, it seems this really spices up the slightly stale genre.

2. Hazzard65 says:

The problem I’ve always had we these kinds of scenarios… and strategy games for the matter is that they depict complicated, team efforts as a one man job.

It takes more than one man to run an army, it takes more than one man to run a cafe.

• Hunchback says:

My thoughts exactly.
      Or almost exactly.

I like strategies and sim/tycoon kinda games (especially the later), but in most of them the difficulty is not produced by the fact that you are alone to rule a whole country/army/hospital/whatever… Or at least that’s not the main point. However in games such as the one discussed here, it seems to be exactly it – overwhelm someone with tons of actions that require doing in super short time, testing his reflexes, reading skills and button mash. Even though it looks kinda nice and interesting, i know i will end up seriously frustrated by this kinda “difficulty” and delete the game in a burst of rage.

• shot2bits says:

As a chef I have to say, it does feel like that sometimes. i never play these games because it’s what i do for a living and obviously the game is nothing like working in a kitchen in reality, and its not so bad in upper class restaurants where you can spend 2 hours making a sauce because you have a dozen chefs working and a small army of kitchen porters. But when your in a high volume middle class pub kitchen with only two chefs working running two or three sections each with 30 tickets up at all times with atleast 4 meals for each of those tickets on each sections you do feel like a single person fighting an army. and thats without the waiting staff making mistakes on orders and dropping the food along with the 12 hour straight shifts.

Anyhow it does sound like these games do manage to convey that feeling fairly well, i just dont understand how people can find it enjoyable to play, but i guess in a game it doesnt matter if you fail because your jobs not on the line and you can just start again without any repercussions.

• Gnoupi says:

The point of this game is multitasking, handling a lot of tasks at the same time. Just like their previous game, which was about managing an oil drilling company, down to the basic tasks, and optimizing your time to do the most at the same time, without machines breaking.

Now it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but some people enjoy multitasking, the pressure of handling several things in parallel. And that’s what these games are about, the setting is just “an excuse” for such games.

3. Arehandoro says:

Apart of Cooking Mama series, and is because is more of mini-games doing the plates rather than manage a bar or other things, I don’t like cooking games at all.

Petethegoat says:

I remember playing Ore no Ryomi quite a few years ago, it’s loads of fun.
    I’m tempted to give this a gander.

5. Gnoupi says:

I quite liked The Oil Blue, and it’s interesting to see that they are trying to fix what they saw as the main problem in it: the setting.

See the “postmortem” of the previous game, on gamasutra: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidGalindo/20100724/5531/How_much_do_indie_PC_devs_make_anyways.php

There is something in that. The gameplay in this new game seems quite similar to the previous, but the setting is much more likely to attract players. Oil drilling (especially at the time of release) wasn’t really something exciting, or that people would even feel like they can manage. Cooking, restaurants, it’s much more accessible.

6. Elevory says:

I spoke with Mr. Chubigans when he was making Ore no Ryomi 2. Oh my god it’s been so long. ;~;

7. SquireBev says:

Kinda makes me want to play Last Call again. What other game lets you serve alcohol to a hedgehog?

8. JBantha says:

I still haven’t finished Youda’s Sushi Chef, but I really like the typing mechanics of this game

9. pupsikaso says:

Just like with The Oil Blue I cannot fathom why this company is trying to charge so much for such games. How are they still in business?

• Dominic White says:

It’s not even $10! The only way that could seem expensive is if you’re used to only buying iOS games, where the entire market has fucked itself into nonsensicality through a rush to cheaper and cheaper games to undercut everyone else.

• TCM says:

I have come to realize that the amount a person is willing to pay for a game is directly proportional to the number of times they have heard of it.

If you see a game mentioned by only one source, you expect it to be free, or a dollar at most. Any more than that and it will paradoxically seem ‘expensive’ to you, even if you spent more out of curiousity towards a game you’ve heard about from three websites and a friend.