PreLC: Borderlands 2 Mecromancer Out Early

By Alec Meer on October 9th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

Ibetshespeakslikethiseveryoneelsedoesinborderlands2afterall

If you like games about shooting and collecting and shooting and collecting and shooting and collecting and being yelled at all the while, you’ll be glad to hear that the first major DLC for Borderlands 2 has been released a week earlier than planned. Gaige The Mechromancer is a new playable class/character for the game, and the one who offers the vaguely notorious newbie player-orientated skill tree. Though that is in addition to abilities that offers precision, brutality, robo-biffing and all that good stuff. You can play with the tech tree to see the various builds here, in fact. Also, she gets a pet robot who has the head of Shockwave from the Transformers.

I’d quite like to play as Gaige because I quite like Shockwave from the Transformers, but to be honest Borderlands 2 makes me feel tired and old, so I’m going back to XCOM instead. Good to see Gearbox aren’t being sticklers for deadlines, though.

After a bit of Twitter-teasing about a surprise, which I hoped was going to be a puppy but was sadly denied, Gearboss Randy Pitchford last night revealed that the Mechromancer DLC would be out today rather than the 16th as originally planned.

The DLC is £8. Is that reasonable for a new class? I don’t even know any more. Why, I’d almost be willing to bet that some people will have different opinions about it than other people do.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dubbill says:

Hard to Gaige if £8 is good value for money.

• Planet9 says:

I predict this news will send a Shockwave through the internets.

• gschmidl says:

Pretty obviously gaigeing your wallet though.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

shut
      uppp

• MiKHEILL says:

What’s mong? Do you find this sort of thing Dahl and Tediores? This story was just Axton for it.

RedViv says:

Vladof the poor people who don’t like puns? Torqueing to them, seek out dialogue, that’s the route we should take!

• thecat17 says:

Doctor would like it if we’d shut our collective claptraps.

• Screamer says:

Didn’t you mean “Clap Trap”?

• Squirrelfanatic says:

That gal looks like parts of her body come straight out of a gearbox.

• MiKHEILL says:

Maya feeling is that it’s worthwhile, and my friends agree! You can Marcus down for a few copies.

• Screamer says:

It does add the the ability to soldier on!

• westyfield says:

You’ve opened a real Pandora’s box of puns here.

• yurusei says:

I don’t care Jack about the DLC. Borderlands 2 is Tediore, and brings me down to depressing depths like being tied to a Brick. Thankfully like Alec, I can find Sanctuary Roland around in XCOM within the next few days

• Hunchback says:

I’ll definitely hunch my back over Zed one as soon as it’s Scootered out!

2. Stromko says:

Title is misleading. It isn’t out yet, so it isn’t ‘out today’. It might not even be released in the future, today, depending on the distributors for the various platforms.

Body text is also incorrect, it hasn’t been released a week early. It’s planned to be released a week early.

Well nobody’s perfect.

• MiKHEILL says:

Pedantry much?

• Stromko says:

Well it’s just that I booted up Steam, went into Borderlands, tried to make a new character, and it wasn’t there. If I’m going to spend 15 minutes booting things up when I should be going to bed, I may as well spend 3 minutes warning others from making the same mistake.

It’s not that big of a deal, clearly they’re reporting on this very early and they just didn’t have time to check.

• grundus says:

The majority of the USA isn’t awake yet so it’s technically not today where they are. If Gaige isn’t out this evening then I might be inclined to agree but I can’t be arsed yet.

• MiKHEILL says:

Ah fair enough. While the article didn’t leave me with the impression that the DLC was already available, the title certainly was a little misleading.

• Zakski says:

Not our fault you are in foreign parts

3. CaspianRoach says:

I’m not sure how I feel about Gaige having 6 more skills than the Siren. Plus half the Siren skills are quite bad, while these are almost all good.

Plus, hey, “Best friends forever” tree doesn’t look like it’s a “faceroll” tree like it was advertised.

• Stromko says:

There could be another mini-furor over her skill-tree though, for all the My Little Pony references. A few of them could just be coincidence, but “20% Cooler” in the Best Friends Forever tree is a pretty implicit wink, nod, and wave.

I’ve no complaints, personally. In fact I can’t wait to try out the class and see what kind of amusing quips the Mechromancer might have. It wouldn’t be any stranger than Zero’s references to Yugi-Oh every other time he activates his power. Mr. Burch you are a silly man.

• MikoSquiz says:

I’m enjoying my Siren because basically all her skills in the first two tiers are things I want to max out, where with the Gunzerker and Assassin I usually have a hard time finding any skill I’d rather have a point in than not.

4. MikoSquiz says:

There’s no way I would pay an extra £8. Happily, I paid £27 for the whole game, including preorder bonuses even though it was already out.

Oh, Amazon, how do I love thee. Now if you could only deliver just the Steam code so I wouldn’t have superfluous bits of plastic to bin.

5. mouton says:

I am confused as to the reason why would I play the game yet again, just to have a new char. I mean, the game isn’t that baaad, but it isn’t as varied enough to play it multiple times. I have finished it once, doing playthrough 2 now and, well, things get old, dialogues and cutscenes get longer and longer. Doing it again and again reduces it to quest-jumping rush, really.

The only option I see is replaying the game in a year or two, when all DLC comes out.

6. eleclipse says:

I dind’t like before that a “dlc” was planned just a month after the relase (since it’s obviusly game-content ripped off the original game and put in a dlc just to make more money) and now i dislike it even more.

It’s come to the point that not only, when a new game is about to be released, i may think “uh, i already have a lot of games and i’m not so hyped about this, i can wait steam sales for this one” but also “uh, i’m really really hyped about this game but there are already bazillion dlc planned so maybe is better to buy the goty edition…. on a sale”.

• mouton says:

“(since it’s obviusly game-content ripped off the original game and put in a dlc just to make more money)”

Sigh. I know it’s futile, but please try to stop circulating this wonderful meme.

• Midroc says:

How is that in any way a meme? He’s just stating his dislike for a shady business practice that gets more and more common these days.

• mouton says:

If you read RPS regularly, there were a bunch of articles on that topic. In a nutshell, you cannot “rip content out” of the game and sell it as 0-day DLC because months before the releases the game often has to be feature-complete, goes to consoleland certification etc. and cannot be manipulated past bug fixes. 0-day and early-day DLC is often an idea that came out somewhere during development but which was shelved due to time/resource constrains. It is also a way to justify paying developers a salary when the game is in certifications and they would, ordinarily, have nothing to do.

• Jason Moyer says:

I agree with you, but the problem is that there *are* companies who charge for on-disc DLC on launch day or shortly thereafter. Not that I’m accusing Gearbox of that or anything.

• Fwiffo says:

Perhaps so, but in this case the complaints aren’t justified. They only started the physical work on this DLC when the game went gold; in other words finished and out the door into the publisher’s hands. Instead of twiddling their thumbs they carried on working and I see no problem in them getting paid for it. They weren’t sure how long it would take. Originally it was planned for November, then when progress was found to be moving quickly they set the October 16th date. Obviously they’re satisfied the job is done a week early and here it is.

To call this particular example “on-disc” is unfair. And to insinuate it’s a lazy money grab, well that’s up for debate I suppose. The way I see it they make entertainment software, they had downtime and they filled it making more entertainment software, only fair they get some dosh for it.

• Wetworks says:

How can a 5th class be ripped from the game when the original only had 4 classes? Nothing was “ripped” from Borderlands 2 as it’s a much bigger game than Borderlands was.

• eleclipse says:

How can?

Simply: I develop 5 class, i put 4 in the game and then i release the5th some days after (not even a month) as a dlc (a dlc that cost 1/4 of the entire game i might add)-> Profit !

And as a plus i know the whole console certification thing and i couldn’t care less i don’t need to know the why of a problem i wont solution that not involve selling me “additional” stuff few days after the release (plus this stuff need to get approved too right?).

Is just like a plumber going to my home, fixing half of the leacky pipes since he need a special instrument to fix the other, charging me for the FULL PRICE of fixing all of them , then come back 10 m laters , fix them and charge ma AGAIN for fixing the rest of the leacky pipes.

As a buyer i fell insulted to see dlc after few days of the release, if someone is ok with the whole dlc policy that’s spreading this day is part of the problem from my point of view,

• Azru says:

No. The problem is people like you – entitled children. You paid the money for a full-featured game and got it. The developer made additional content after the game went into the certification process after which additional stuff cannot be put into the base game and they are charging money for it. Rightfully so, because this is ADDITIONAL content, not something that was removed from the base game. If you want it you can pay for it like you would for any expansion pack whatever. Or you could have preordered the game and get it for free.

Let me reiterate. Just because you’ve paid 50$ or whatever for a game doesn’t mean you are entitled to any additional content for it that was developed after it was released.

• Answermancer says:

Thank you.

So glad to see some voices of reason on this issue, people ignore the reality of how development and budgeting for a game works, and feel entitled to get things based entirely on their internal perception of the timeline.

Better yet is when they then use it as justification for piracy. If you don’t like how the finances of making games works, including things like extra content, then don’t buy them. Simple as that.

• mouton says:

So, you refuse to understand how development works and thus you thrash against something you do not really comprehend, for reasons you have imagined for yourself? Don’t buy the product if you feel insulted. Go pirate it or something, just remember to announce it everywhere.

• andytt66 says:

`’I haven’t seen a DLC that was “part of the core game” at the time of release yet. They all were add-ons more or less crudely bolted onto the main thing. You are free to have your own perception of reality, though.”

I’d say anything described as “on-disk DLC” counts. There haven’t been that many examples in the PC world that I can recall, but it is certainly a happenstance on the console-boxen

• Xocrates says:

I have seen that kind of DLC, Death Rides for Darksiders 2 being an extremely blatant example.

That said, it’s clearly not the case here.

• Walter Heisenberg says:

Because a sequel sound expand on it’s predecessor and not copy and paste every bit of the design doc like number of classes and let anything that diverges from it be DLC.

• reggiep says:

Oh ya? Where in the Big Book of Intellectual Property does it say that? Oh wait. That book doesn’t exist and you just pulled that comment out of your ass. Moving on…

• derbefrier says:

so what arbitrary time do you deem is an acceptable period between initial release and DLC? 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year? How long should developers hold back content just so they don’t offend your sensibilities? Should it be held back at the expense of those who would prefer to have it ASAP?

Put yourself in their shoes what would you choose? Do you think you would be excited to get a new class out because you think people would enjoy it? Would you even consider the fact a few idiots on the internet might be offended when the other 99.9% of your paying customers will be happy to see the content earlier than expected? In other words what makes you think your so special?

7. airtekh says:

So is this DLC still free for people that pre-ordered the game? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

8. zebramatt says:

As somewhat baffled as I continue to be by pre-order DLC containing a newbie-friendly character which is developed and released weeks after the release of the game, I can only be glad at the news that the moment I, a newbie, have been waiting for since I pre-ordered the game before I actually boot it up, has in fact arrived a week early. Or will, when I get home.

Hurrah!

• Steven Hutton says:

I’ve played her a bit. She’s fun. Her action skill has a long cool down but it INSANELY powerful right from the get-go. Not unlike a certain commando’s turret.

I can certainly see how her left most tree would be good for a new player. Lots of continuous health and shield regen and plenty of easy damage buffs.

I’m maybe more interested in her right most tree which is complicated and requires tons of management of weird stacking buffs. Because what Borderlands needed is for more things to be happening all at once.

• Jupiah says:

That rightmost tree does look like the most interesting one to play around with, and it seems like it combos well with the best friends forever tree. One of the complicated skills gives you anarchy stacks that buff bullet damage but lower accuracy, the first tier BFF skill that causes missed shots to richochet back at enemies sounds like a great way to compensate for that weakness.

9. wodin says:

Got bored of BL2 real quick…..finished Torchlight 2 no probs and enjoyed every minute…only at level 11 in BL2 and I’m yawning..

• carinyc says:

Me too, wodin.

• mouton says:

I agree it is yawn-ish at the start, but it does get more interesting later. Not perfect, but if you like the music, the ambiance, it can be a pleasant – if flawed – experience. Also, humor can be quite brilliant at times.

• Ganjatron says:

Same here, the first wasn’t bad, but I don’t know.. the game just feels like a chore now. I think a lot has to do with the quest structure being mostly fetch and gather quests. The guns don’t ever seem to get better, the flow seems to break constantly due to said guns having so different stats, but never being better than the previous ones. Glad to see others enjoying it, but I think I just can’t do traditional RPG’s like BL2 is at its heart.

10. Bob says:

It has just appeared in the Borderlands 2 DLC section on Steam. The $16.55USD seems a bit rough as that’ll probably be $17AU.

11. DigitalSignalX says:

Looking at the skills, I’m not sure what the optimum gun type for her is. Assault Rifle by the picture? But if all the reloading seems key to stacking up skills, maybe pistol?

12. Issus says:

So the Mechro was a free pre-order bonus, and is now paid for DLC. No issue there at all. There’s no difference in the price of the season pass depending on whether or not you’ve pre-ordered, meaning that if you buy the pass intending to get a good deal on future DLC it essentially nullifies the pre-order bonus because you’ve paid for the mechro in the season pass… iiiiiiinteresting.
    You either end up paying for something you’ve already got, or you pay for each DLC separately meaning you spend more.

• dub says:

Issus: The season pass is for the four upcoming Story DLC, essentially a “four for the price of three” deal. This character (along with any other DLC they cook up… and the eventual release of the SlaughterDome preorder bonus) are separate to the deal.

13. beeboy says:

I got this for £3.69. My kind of Steam bug.
    Maybe I’ll get lucky again and get the season pass for 8.16 or suchlike.