Highly Scripted – Battlefield: Bad Company’s TV Show

By Nathan Grayson on October 9th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Is this an expression of woe or a knee-slide air guitar solo? I can't tell. Leaning toward the latter.

There’s a joke somewhere in here about the current state of first-person shooters and the idea that this is a natural evolution seeing as we’re already basically watching them anyway, but I’m not gonna touch it. And also, that was the whole joke. Battlefield: Bad Company (which is actually quite good; that’s why I didn’t want to peg it with a lowball gag, you see) is coming to oversized living room PC monitors near you by way of EA and Fox. If nothing else, it stars the main characters from the game and isn’t getting Hollymorphed into – I don’t know – the gripping, fart-ripping tale of two buddy cop bros (both played by Mark Wahlberg) and their talking dog, Dubstep. That’s promising, right?

Here’s the elevator pitch, courtesy of Deadline Hollywood:

“Written by [former Alias executive producer] John Eisendrath, Bad Company features the main characters from the game. It follows four renegade soldiers as they exit military life and enter the private sector. But trouble is never far behind as they realize their commanding officer had used them to further the ends of a shadow unit within the government and now wants them dead to cover his tracks.”

Happy Madison’s Doug Robinson is also attached to the production, along with EA’s Patrick Bach and Patrick O’Brien. And hey, the Bad Company games had some pretty funny bits, so this could actually end up fairly amusing. Then again, they were also about precisely zero of the things in that description, so I guess the show itself is also going rogue. Just, you know, from its source material.

Then again, the idea of a 100 percent faithful adaption of a game into any other medium has always stricken me as pretty silly (“Hours of shooting the same dudes again and again! Cliched writing and no character development! Huddling behind rocks to engage mutant healing powers!”), so who knows? But honestly, has any game-centric TV show gotten off the ground? Ever? I mean, Metro and Ghost Recon had some cracking live-action shorts, and Defiance is hitting Syfy next year – but I’m talking season-based, episode-per-week fare. On that front, there’s been… um. Well, there was that horrendous Code Monkeys thing on G4 years ago. Does that count? I guess, though, if anyone can make it happen, it’s EA. But really, do we want them to?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Mr. Mister says:

How curious of you Internet, I just watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHW8tpbtC4g

2. sinister agent says:

The writing and voice acting were the only parts I enjoyed about the first Bad Company game, so if they can keep that up, while somehow getting a non-game plot in there too, I guess it could work. Suspect it may fall into the “target gamers!” trap, though.

• PoulWrist says:

I seem to recall there being something about gold… I recall the story to be something I’d like to know more about after trying the demo of the first one. But then I got into the MP beta of the second game, and I can’t recall spending much more than the token time it took to complete the singleplayer. The multiplayer was excellent… but completely removed from the SP game.

• ArthurBarnhouse says:

You missed nothing in the second game’s plot line. They tried to grit and grime it up since they were going up against CoD, and the results were both bad and transparently pandering. Also there was a subplot about a helicopter pilot where I was meant to care but only hated everyone involved.

3. Henke says:

Maybe it’ll be a A-Team kinda thing. I liked the characters in the game so yeah, this could be swell. If done well.

4. sirdavies says:

Not entirely sure about this. Looks like a really easy thing to do badly.

5. Yuri says:

I am not at all against a mindless action war-show in the vein of Bad Company.
    For some reason, it sickens me in the form of a linear game, but it sounds quite acceptable as a TV show.
    Providing they hire competent writers. The question is also how serious the show will take itself.

6. Gap Gen says:

There is a lot of good American TV right now, but I guess guaranteeing that a particular show will be good is more difficult. Sure, it has potential (especially since Bad Company 2 was like 90% cutscenes anyway), but we’ll see. Unsure whether I’ll actually watch it, unless it happens to be about a government office in Indiana or a boy and a magic dog. Or both.

7. D3xter says:

One thing is sure, if it is in any way good it’ll be cancelled within the Season, if it sucks it’ll probably stay arond for a few years.

8. dsi1 says:

I guess they’ve finally decided to cut out the middleman.

9. Necrosius says:

Didn’t Bad Company 2 end with the Russians invading or something?

• ArthurBarnhouse says:

It ended with all communists invading everywhere. And then there was a communist RIGHT BEHIND YOU! RUN FROM YOUR COMPUTER!

• Phantoon says:

No, it ended with shooting the magic glowy ball thingy, THEN the communists invaded every square mile of the planet earth.

10. Shadowcat says:

Oh man, there’s definitely a website begging to be made around the concept of “is it an air guitar solo?” pictures.

11. Crosmando says:

It’s a chilling confirmation of what was already widely known: That casual multi-platform “gamers” were never gamers, but movie-goers tricked into it, obviously why the xbawks 360 is nothing but a video streaming box these days. Not exactly sure what RPS has to gain by giving breathing space to shit like this here, I mean those type of “gamers” have IGN/Gamespot/every other gaming news site on the internet.

12. Moni says:

I’m not sure if the medium of TV can capture the inherent comedy of a guy running around a map for 20 minutes just making holes in walls with a grenade launcher.

13. povu says:

Well it can’t be worse than that Noob Tube show for Call of Duty.

14. lowprices says:

I want a dog named Dubstep.

15. Omgitsjamie says:

Time Commanders anyone?

16. Radiant says:

Couldn’t they have done a Kelly’s Heroes type of thing?

“Written by [former Alias executive producer] John Eisendrath, Bad Company features the main characters from the game. It follows four renegade soldiers as they exit military life and enter the private sector. But trouble is never far behind as they realize their commanding officer had used them to further the ends of a shadow unit within the government and now wants them dead to cover his tracks. Hilarity ensues”

17. Ratchet says:

It’s on Fox, so it’ll be cancelled after the first few episodes anyway.

• Vagrant says:

That’s only if it turns out to be good.
      On the one hand, I love BC’s characters. On the other hand, I’m not sure I’d like it as a TV show. I do want more of them, though.

18. Fanbuoy says:

Well, considering the “America, fuck yeah!” mentality of most games today, Fox does seem like the right network.

19. MrUnimport says:

Bad Company 2 had some great dialogue but TV is a medium that already has great dialogue. I would like to see more video games with great dialogue instead of expending those efforts on translating funny bits of a video game to a TV format.

20. stupid_mcgee says:

But honestly, has any game-centric TV show gotten off the ground? Ever?

Why, yes, actually. The Super Mario Bros. show starring Cpt. Lou Albano.

Only did one season, but it was in syndication for two years after it aired.

Captain N: The Game Master ran for 3 seasons.

Comment on this story