Next Walking Dead Episode Just Around The Corner

By Nathan Grayson on October 9th, 2012 at 8:00 am.

This is what happens when believe *a bit too much* in Harvey Dent.

Have you finally regained the ability to speak in something other than live studio audience collective gasps after the last Walking Dead episode? Well then, prepare to lose it again, because the next episode, Around Every Corner, is - yes – right around the corner. (I swear, they come up with these titles using some kind of make-headline-writing-incredibly-easy machine.) But just how close is it? Could it be right behind you? Or maybe… maybe it is you. Or maybe it’ll be out on Wednesday. Whichever of those seems most plausible to you.

Fine, yeah, it’s Wednesday. You’re not The Videogame That Walked Like A Man. Sorry for crushing your completely nightmarish dreams. Neither, unfortunately, were you penned by Book Of Eli creator Gary Whitta, so I completely understand if you need to sit down and reevaluate everything you previously knew to be true.

If nothing else, though, take solace in the fact that Walking Dead continues to be really great. Sometimes incredible, even. Get an idea of what you’re in for here, if you haven’t already. Or, if you’ve absolutely, positively done everything you’d like in previous episodes and have developed an immunity to the insidious spoiler virus epidemic that’s stealing minds and lives at an alarming rate, you can also check out this breakdown of everybody’s episode three choices.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. AmateurScience says:

After the harrowing experience of episode 2, I still haven’t attained the level of emotional fortitude required to tackle episode 3 yet. I’m not sure I’m cut out for this.

• AlwaysRight says:

If you found episode 2 too harrowing you definitely won’t cope with episode 3. However I would suggest you battle on through because I’ve found this series to be one of the most engaging adventure games of all time (and I don’t say that lightly).

• wodin says:

Episode 2 isn’t a patch on the emotional rollercoaster thats 3.

Great series.

• AlwaysRight says:

‘That’ bit in episode 3 is the closest I’ve been to crying at a computer game, I was playing with my girlfriend and we just sat there in utter silence for about 5 minutes (and it wasn’t through x-factor style contrivances it was because we care about the characters).

• paddymaxson says:

Agreed, this is one of only 3 games that has given me a genuine emotional response (the other 2 being HL2 episode 2, and spec ops: the line). It’s a pretty harrowing game.

• liquidsoap89 says:

A literal squeal came out of my mouth when that happened. I thought my decision in episode 1 would end up as a long term investment, but instead it was TAKEN FROM ME!

Man this series is good!

• Klaus says:

I took a guess about what would happen, felt like crap and stopped playing. Still haven’t gone back after a couple of weeks.

• AmateurScience says:

I love it, but I just look stare at it in my steam list for a minute and then go and play something with rainbows in it instead.

2. Joe Duck says:

This game is awesome. I am enjoying it incredibly. And the wait is actually really good.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I agree. I thought the wait would make the whole thing feel disjointed, but it’s more like the tense wait for the next season on your favourite TV show – when it’s back on it feels like it never went away.

• povu says:

And it’s fun discussing the game with friends, knowing that they’re at the exact same point in the story as you are, speculating about what happens next. You don’t get that with most games.

3. Mr. Mister says:

It’s probably the blueish tone of the picture, but for half a second there I though that was a Terminator (T-800?).

4. GameCat says:

One of the most important game of all time.

• JackShandy says:

Really? In what way?

• GameCat says:

Beliveable characters that aren’t superheroes, choices without right or wrong solutions, small revision of ancient point’n'click genre.

It’s also one of the most mature game ever made and not only because it have blood, death and flesh-eating monsters:

EPISODE 2 SPOILERS AHEAD!

I was so sad when in ep2 I busted pitchfork through that guy’s chest and Clementine saw this. This guy wasn’t even a threat in that moment and I butchered him like a pig just because he was swearing at me.

END OF SPOILERS.

In any other games I didn’t feel sorry after killing somebody. Maybe except Shadow of Colossus (and some Dark Souls bosses) where killing such beautiful and majestic creatures was very, very sad.
        That’s why TWD is so good.
        Alomst every single death is just sad, painful, unnecessary and it’s not about adding numbers in deaths statistics like in 99% of other games.

• Remnant says:

Rarely do I not see a twist coming and even rarer still is when a game hits me in the feels.

SPOILERS

Losing Carley and then having Lilly betray us to steal the RV? My mouth was agape for a solid minute after that all unfolded. That was some fucking heavy shit right there.

• AlwaysRight says:

It’s also really accessible without being ‘casual’. It’s the first episodic game where the wait actually enhances the game because it gives you time to digest what’s happening and stops you from greedily devouring the whole content in one go. The main character is an ethnic minority without cramming the fact down your throat, the Lee/Clem relationship is one of the best in any game as well as Clem being a really great positive female character. It’s the first game where the writing is on par with modern TV series and to be honest I hope this makes Film/TV writers take notice and realise exactly how powerful a story telling medium games can be.
        The interactive element; having to live with your own choices and having to be constantly on edge encase something unexpected happens creates a level of immersion and engagement that is unique.
        Its a game I can happily recommend to non gamers and not feel embarrassed about.

• GameCat says:

Well said. I also like that story and gameplay are fliud. I mean, there is no “ok, you can play, but first watch 10 minutes of movie”. Sure, some games have cutscenes with QTE (aka. “press X to win”), but none of them are at the same level of TWD. Most of these games have only win or lose states (and good/evil choices), while in TWD there’s no right, wrong, better, or worse choice. You fuck something up – you must live with it. No checkpoints and quick saves.
          I want more games without binary lose/win states. I want more games where you can do almost everything wrong and still play, but with worse outcome and ending.

5. yurusei says:

” I swear, they come up with these titles using some kind of make-headline-writing-incredibly-easy machine”

Gotta use your HEAD and draw the LINE sometimes.

6. Crimsoneer says:

I think this is the first time ever I’ve seen an episodic game actually deliver what I expect episodic content to deliver.

7. povu says:

If the last 2 episodes are as good as the previous ones this is probably going to be my favourite adventure game of all time. It’ll most definitely be the best thing Telltale has ever done.

8. Ernesto25 says:

A bit meh on this one after 3. Interested in the story but i feel like a spectator than playing a game.

9. Keroton says:

I have never watched walking dead tv show, or even saw the comic.

But damn videogame storytelling was never this good, I was so mindblowned by episode 3 i had to write an email to Telltale games just to tell them thanks.

Its so good….haven’t felt this way about videogame storytelling since Deus Ex 1 i think.

10. Branthog says:

“Next Walking Dead Episode Just Around The Corner”

Well, I would sure as fuck hope so. It’s supposed to be released monthly and it has already been six weeks. I understand they’ve probably run into some hitches, here and there, but all five episodes were supposed to have come and gone before September.

I hope we get more “seasons”. Each season should tell the story of a new set of people. And they will, I hope, have figured out their pacing by then so that they can release these at an expected interval.

That said, I was a bit disappointed through the third episode. That whole facade of choice really crumbled around the killing. I disliked it so much that I restarted that section (the only time I’ve done that) so that I could play it totally different to avoid the death. And it didn’t matter. It was like a freight train. No choice. At that point, I pretty much decided that my contribution to my story was fucking insignificant. . . in which case, I might as well just be watching an animated movie.

• whoCares says:

I’m really glad I’m not you.

• liquidsoap89 says:

That’s why it’s better to not try to game the games. let them take you on the ride they’re trying to take you on. Don’t jump out of the seat or you’ll see the people behind the scenes.

• stupid_mcgee says:

From what I’ve read, they are planning on a 2nd season. Which is awesome. I’ve enjoyed the game more than the show! I still haven’t started Ep.3 yet. I’m loving the game, but Ep.2 and that whole ordeal with Mark… oh lordy… That was a doozy!

In the coming months, Telltale Games will release three more episodes of their adventure game The Walking Dead. They won’t stop there, though. Telltale marketing executive Steve Allison said that they will create a second season eventually as well.

“Following the digital release of our fifth episode we will also be coming to North American retail shortly thereafter and this will not be the last The Walking Dead game series that we do,” Allison told Polygon.

11. Klaus says:

“Duck thinks you are incredibly awesome.”

12. GameCat says:

I just finished that episode. Sorry for swearing.

Oh man.

Fuck.

Bloody brilliant. Choices from all episodes DOES matter. Fuck. This game is a piece of art. And I mean it is a GODDAMN GENIOUS art. Just give me last episode, please. ;_;