Of Orcs And Men And Launch Trailers

By John Walker on October 10th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

It was only May when I was first amazed to discover that spiders could develop games. And now Of Orcs And Men is out tomorrow. Those industrious arachnids. You can see a completely unhelpful CGI launch trailer below, that doesn’t give you any idea whatsoever what the game’s like. Because that’s what trailers are for, right?! Silly billies.

It’s actually a third-person RPG, in which you play as both a giant hulking orc, and a small, conniving goblin.

So here’s what the game’s not like:

But the crazy thing is, it looks lovely, and there’s no need to hide behind this. Here’s some in-game footage Gamespot picked up in the Summer:

, , , .

1. Drayk says:

I love the concept of the game. I hope it doesn’t sucks. Are you gonna do a WIT about it ?

• JoeGuy says:

RPS can’t go all that long without a bit of WIT can they?

• Discopanda says:

That trailer actually makes the game look quite promising, unlike the Game of Thrones game which just screamed “MEDIOCRE” from its every appearance.

• birds says:

oh boy, you gonna be dissapointed….

• RogerioFM says:

Everything on GoT pointed towards an incredibly mediocre game, but I ended up enjoying it a lot, its characters and story made up a great deal for the bugs and bad graphics. If this game has the same story depth as GoT I will love it. I am very tolerant for technical aspects when a game has a soul.

2. caddyB says:

I hope it doesn’t get forgotten with Dishonored and XCOM releases, it seems to be fun. I’ll pick it up later.

3. Stackler says:

This may be a good game and I absolutely adore the premise and background of it, but at the same time the typical console controls alienate me to the extent that I’m not interested in playing anymore.

• atticus says:

That – and the developer’s track record of releasing games which promise alot and fail to deliver.

Seriously, I’m surprised there aren’t more games where you’re able to play it from the evil/bad guys point of view. I mean, everybody loved Dungeon Keeper, right?

I would love to play a good RPG with this kind of premise… I’ll see how this one is received by the critics, and maybe give it a shot if it turns out to be good.

• Droopy The Dog says:

Don’t think they’re aiming for playing the straight villian and revelling in it like dungeon keeper does.

The plot so far seems to be misanthropic old guy and big violent guy take on the tyranical empire of assholes. So more like the slightly more used “Orcs aren’t bad, we’re the real monsters!,” trope.

4. danimalkingdom says:

I like how the developer calls it ‘A Fox and Men’ in the second video. Like a stark, realist Disney film.

It’s nice to see a fresh take on a fantasy game, but it would be great if developers stopped immediately associating ‘fantasy’ with ‘medieval’.

5. Tridae says:

That didn’t look like a glossy CGI Launch trailer. More like in-engine cutscenes from the game. I’d say that’s still a good look at the game – no gameplay but it’s a good look at the theatrical story side of things which looks very very interesting.

People are too quick to label things “bad CGI trailer”. It goes like this: “PRE RENDERED CGI trailer = BAD but entertaining” versus “in engine CUTSCENE trailer = GOOD”

• Boozebeard says:

Yeah, I don’t understand. The most interesting thing about this game is clearly the idea of telling a story from the Orcs/Goblins point of view and so they made that story and setting the focus of the trailer, makes perfect sense. They still used in game graphics. I though it was a very good trailer.

6. derps says:

How could anyone want this game. It’s made by Cyanide.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Well Blood Bowl is a classic favorite.
      And I can’t say anything about GoT but RPS loved it.

7. stiffkittin says:

Again it’s visually lovely and the premise is good. I’m also thinking all the love Hulk is getting after the Avengers won’t be hurting this game one bit. The dialogue however is really poor.

I’m wondering if it won’t be better picking up the French version for once. Dialogue seems the same although the voices at least sound a bit less overwrought. Anyone have any idea if the writers for this are French as well? Might explain some of the awkwardness.

8. sakmidrai says:

I love what I’m seeing. I can’t understand why so many people have problems with the dialogue.
    Is it a rule that every fantasy work must sound like something written by Shakespeare or Tolkien?
    It is an action rpg and you play as Orcs! I really doubt the Orcs have English majors and I like the corny one liner style it has. I hope the story is good because I loved the story of Game of Thrones and it is one of my favorite games this year.

• Wulf says:

Well, those are the rules. It’s often said that familiarity is the very definition of good. Quantities of creativity, imagination, and cleverness are irrelevant. Call of Duty sells not particularly because it’s a good game, but because it’s a familiar game. And familiarity is the craved element.

They changed it so it sucks.

I remember with Guild Wars 2, there was an uproar over how technologically advanced the charr were, so ArenaNet actually toned them down a bit. Even still, it had flamethrowers and there were people who got angry on the Internet about a giant cat beast having a flamethrower. It sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? It sounds so ridiculous. And yet there you have it. On average, people prefer dense, familiar, simple experiences. A flamethrower is out of place in that expectation equation.

See, fantasy is supposed to mean anything you can imagine. Back in the ’70s we had writers who barely had an understanding of fantasy, it was actually still kind of science-fiction, I believe fantasy was still generally called that, back then. So you had stuff like Pern, where the writer would just throw all of these different elements together in a melting pot. Just because you don’t have this purist, medieval fantasy setting, it doesn’t mean it has to be WoW.

And even in games, Asian developers loved mixing this up. You had the likes of Phantasy Star. I think Phantasy Star would give people aneurysms these days. We’re walking backwards with each passing year, aren’t we? But back then, fantasy wasn’t this well defined “thing,” it was unfamiliar and new, it was territory to be tread by the sorts of people who could cook up wildly impossible worlds in their heads.

Even right up to the likes of Wizardry VIII and Uru we still had some of this, but then it sort of dropped off. And everything became Dungeons & Dragons, and Tolkien. Then that was the only fantasy. So a game was only good if it was purist. I hated Dragon Age because it played up to this. I didn’t feel it was a good game. It was actually a bad game. But it was a familiar game.

Whereas Obsidian tends to get hated on for trying to do something a little different. With the setting of Mask of the Betrayer, they at least tried to go to new and interesting places, bring the metaphysical and spiritual to the forefront of a story, in an area of Faerun that was infrequently used (because it was unfamiliar). So, obviously, Mask of the Betrayer was just an obscure game that not so many people liked, and nowhere near as good as Dragon Age.

Why do people hate the dialogue of this? It’s not Tolkien, it’s not Dragon Age, it’s not po-faced. It’s not familiar. And you know how people are with their familiarity. Creativity doesn’t matter. Familiarity does. Why do you think that we’re stuck in yet another year of sequels? This year is a sequel to a year of sequels. That year was a sequel to a year of sequels. Sequels, sequels, sequels, and gods damned franchises.

All because there’s something in the human psyche that makes familiarity good. You can have a really bad game and it’s still good if it’s familiar enough. And it takes many iterations of something for people to actually begin to catch onto the fact that, ‘hey, this is a bad game.’ Whereas if you have something new, even if it’s a good game, it’s unfamiliar, and unfamiliar is bad.

I mean, I voiced the idea that we could have more diplomacy in games a while back. I wanted to be able to invite people to the bargaining table and make them offers to get their armies on my side, rather than just mindless slaughtering everyone. In other words, instead of killing those orcs, I’d like to be able to find out what it is they want, and see if I can give it to them, to solve the problem without bloodshed.

What happened to that? Obnoxiously dumb people turned it into the ‘if only you could talk to the X’ meme. Because, hey, diplomacy is a new idea.

So there you go.

9. Jenks says:

I enjoyed GoT and this looks like it’ll be fun, too. If you liked Dragon Age: Origins, but steered clear of GoT because of the atrocious review scores, I highly recommend you give it a shot. RPS’s WIT was pretty spot on.

10. buckchoi says:

I like the premise, I like the price, and I really liked their GoT by the end. I was away on holiday for some weeks and strangely without all the daily hype I am more interested in this than Dishonored or XCOM.