From Bad To Vaas: Far Cry 3

By Adam Smith on October 11th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Brendan did a spot of de-scaling when he murdered his way through the opening hours of Far Cry 3. Providing a side dish to his words, Ubisoft have released four videos that show how the journey from holidaymaker to hardened warrior begins. It’s more tell than show, actually, with producer Dan Hay describing what the scenes are intended to do. The first couple are character-based and don’t contain a great deal of running and shooting, the third documents the takedown of an outpost and the fourth is the burning hotel setpiece which we’ve seen before.

Video three comes closest to convincing me that I Far Cry 3 could be a good thing, although I’m perfectly content to meet the islanders, providing I can lead them into chaotic gunfights.

It’s telling that Hay is keen to point out that the game’s opening is intended to remind players of the “first time [they] realised they weren’t tough”. Presumably, the rest of the game should be seen as open mockery at their inability to become death-dealing heroes the moment their lives are threatened.

I realise how not tough I am every time I stub my toe or drink coffee before it has cooled sufficiently. If I were having a jolly getaway on a mysterious island and then found myself imprisoned by an evil, sadistic maniac, I wouldn’t deal with the “loss and raw emotion” and fight back. I’d just be dead. I think my heart would fail at least six times during the whole process, probably beginning with the skydiving and that bit’s a playful activity rather than part of the horror.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. karthink says:

1. So one button takedowns have entered the world of Far Cry. Not sure how I feel about this, so I’m going to borrow all your feels. How do you feel about this?

2. If you need to take out a shed, why do you have to do it by placing an explosive in an explosive shaped hologram at a specific spot?

2. jezcentral says:

Will there be an option to skip the first part of the game, when you go back to play it, and just want some run-and-gun action?

3. mehteh says:

Can the HUD be any further from the edges!? Be more console please

4. SlappyBag says:

A. That building was incredibly flammable, without the 4 seconds it took him to fall through the floors the whole building is going up.

B. Lol @ his girlfriends face hitting the first layer of scaffolding. Genuinely laughed out loud.

5. Wut The Melon says:

My friend swears that this is going to be the best game ever… I’m afraid that there hasn’t been much to invalidate my lack of faith in Ubisoft, lately. Another ‘could have been a great game’-game, sacrificed for ‘accessibility’ and loads of money.

Will wait this one out, but probably not interested.

6. Ernesto says:

Of course! Everybody knows that wildlife is attracted to gunfire and noise….

• Donjo says:

Oh yeah. Komodo dragons and tigers are traditionally attracted to extremely loud sounds and explosions. It’s just so exciting, not much to do in the jungle.

• maninahat says:

Like moths to flame. Speaking of which, predators are also naturally drawn to any forest fires you might cause.

7. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. says:

Every time I see someone try to play a FPS with a controller I actually cringe.

It’s like they are trying to precisely aim using the controls from an arcade claw machine.

• Stevostin says:

My thought exactly. Gamepad. Don’t forget to wash your hands after using those.

• Grargh says:

Absolutely agree.

“Taking out an outposts alarm really does make things a lot easier.”
      Shooting at your enemies instead of plants, barrels and the sky in general tends to make fights easier as well. But maybe that was his way of playing non-lethal?

8. Arglebargle says:

‘Ubisoft’ — a word connoting a continual descent into dismal, awful failure….

Sadly, not the only such game company term in that arena either.

9. Syra says:

I really liked the bit where the PR guy was super dry saying ‘yet another amazing setpiece of farcry3′.

Yeah. He doesn’t even believe it.

10. Scouter says:

My god, enough of some developer taking 3/4th the video speaking about the game and more of the actual game.

11. kud13 says:

They keep saying all these wonderful things about the game, trying to evoke the S.T.A.L.K.E.R feelings in me.

then they show gameplay, and I cringe every time.

12. Gira says:

Wouldn’t it be cool if the developers actually used gameplay rather than cutscenes to transition you into the role of a killer? Wouldn’t it be cool if there were some kind of risk-reward mechanic that meant pacifism led to increasingly diminishing returns, rather than just forcing you down a cutscene corridor until the story deemed you Emotionally Ready? Wouldn’t it be cool if the developer in the videos talked less about some character I don’t care about and more about the player’s role in this?

I don’t understand the direction this industry is moving in, and I don’t pretend to, either. This is the perfect opportunity to actually demonstrate how gameplay can condition a player to behave more violently, and they squander it on shoving cutscenes and setpieces down your throat. It’s not as bad as the laughable Spec Ops, but it’s saddening that they didn’t go further with the Far Cry 2 formula instead of collapsing into this.

13. royale says:

Less Ambient Occlusion, more FOV. Everything else looks great.

Comment on this story