Hands On: Medal Of Honour Warfighter

By Craig Pearson on October 11th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

It's stuck like this!
News arrived over the RPS battle computer that EA wanted to show us their latest Medal Of Honour game, so we sent in elite fightering journalist Craig Pearson. Having donned his ghillie suit to play the game and held down ‘E’ to hack into the EA war satellite, he sent us this report.

Warfighter’s multiplayer has one big idea that’s sort of genius: every time you join a server you’re partnered up with another player in a fire team. It could be a friend, but if you’re just looking for a quick blast on a public server you’ll find a buddy within your team. You’ll know everything about this player: their shoe size and hygiene habits, as well as their position, health, and ammo. You have no choice in the matter, but that’s okay because there are positives in having that decision taken from you. Your partner can refill your ammo and health, and you can respawn on his (or her) position. Score!

These features aren’t new, but having to do it is. As silly as it sounds, just knowing all this information created a bond between me and the other player. We stuck together like a new DVD in a grippy DVD case. I started to care about that one person, even though I’ve no idea who I was playing with. He was just a dude, but as an ever-present glow on my HUD he gave me a secondary purpose over the level’s objectives, creating an odd little co-op game within a larger multiplayer structure. None of the rest is particularly innovative: the game modes are variants of control point capture and CTF, and you have guns and unlocks. But it is all solid, with neat level design and fun movement in compact levels.

The first game mode I was dropped into was Sector Control in a Somali map. It’s basically control point. Flags are set at the extremities of a closed-off Somali village, and the two teams fight over their control. The game begins and the pair of us fall into an easy rhythm. There’s no communication at all, but we work well together. I took the rear, and we snuck through the broken buildings to head to a flag, listening to an announcer updating us on the level’s balance of power.

We gathered around a flag in a courtyard behind a house. My buddy kept to the ground level while I hopped into the overlooking building. I swung around occasionally to check his positioning, using his glow to keep tracks, and I could see his health in a widget on the screen at all times so I’d know when trouble came. Except it came to me first, with a sparse blast of gun fire picking some health off me and forcing me to cower under a window. When I turned to check if my attackers had pushed past the window, I found my partner right behind me, healing me. I didn’t ask. The system works. We even died together.

It’s not just us. All around people were moving in twosomes: I respawned and tracked after an enemy I spotted. Movement is fun, with some Blink-ish walljumps that made it easy to keep up with him when not following directly behind. I pop a lucky headshot and he falls. Because he was always just out of reach, I didn’t realise he was with another player. A grenade bounces around the corner and takes me out. Brilliantly, my partner takes revenge. I hadn’t paid attention, because I wanted to see if he would follow. It’s either a lesson in human behaviour, or a lesson in gamers following glowy things.

It’s very focused on the blood and guts, but there are unlocks. The other nationalities are technically different classes, and their unlocks bring new weapons and special abilities. Each player has a main rifle, a secondary pistol, and a special power. I unlocked Canadian Special Forces and fell in love. Sorry Britain, but if the Canucks really do have a Signal Scan that allows them to see through walls (for a brief second, but still enormously handy) then pour me some maple syrup and buy me a bear saddle. The other unlocks, like a grenade launcher or a sniper’s steady ability, didn’t fit into my playstyle. Signal Scan pings the enemy positions, and for a brief moment you can see them on your screen, frozen like an afterglow. It fits the slow-paced, sneaky way I like to play games, and gave me a hellish edge when approaching objectives.

It really helped in the Hot Spot game mode: here there are three set objectives, in the Shogore Valley map’s case it’s a sequential series of bombs to plant then protect from being disarmed. It’s crumbling village, with plenty of space to flank. Being a naturally sneaky player I took the wider alleys to the first objective. I was in sync with my buddy: he understood what I was doing and supported it, pulling two enemies away from a car that I was sneaking up to. I pinged my Signal Scan and hopped over to the car to plant the bomb, while he doubled back and helped me defend it. He didn’t shake his pursuers, though, and they bombed us and unbombed the bomb. A buddy mix of one person with Signal Scan and another with the grenade launcher looks like a devastating combo, and we suffered. Even thought he led them to me, I forgave him. That’s what friends are for.

But I still managed to pull off two bomb plants in a short space of time. Using the Signal Scan, I noticed a dip in the enemy forces and sprinted to the first car. It was almost too easy, but it’s pleasing the way the unlock can be used to pick the correct moment. There was no resistance. The second was a sprint using the surprisingly slick movement tricks to dash through a broken building and out of a window, sliding under a stationary truck and planting the bomb on the other side. It was exactly like that moment in Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em, but with DEVGRU operators.

By now we were pushed right up to the enemy spawn area, and fighting for control over a wide, circular area with a sunken centre to plant the final bomb in. I died often, attempting the same sort of slippery free-running assaults that worked so well on the first two sections. My buddy held back a little, sniping into the spawn area and keeping himself alive to spawn on. We still failed, because I enjoyed the movement. I could have held back, but the layout was fun to run through. The levels really support the runny gunny types, but have plenty of cover for the more careful operatives.

The final game mode shown was Homerun. It’s a speedy CTF mode set in small levels. It has the same effect that Gun Game has in Counter-Strike, and acts like a palate cleanser to the more complex modes. It’s fairly inconsequential, something to play for a moment to get a rush of blood, but I reckon it could be used as a fun way to farm unlocks.

But that’s not the point of Warfighter. I was never really pushing for the shiny baubles that multiplayer games often dangle. Sure, there’s screen spam telling you what you’ve gained in XP, but I barely noticed it. I was too concerned with my other half’s condition. The point of the game is to focus on creating a dynamic little partnership. Not a team, not a squad, but a pair. And it really seems to work.

Then there’s this:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Snids says:

Is that like five guns taped together? There’s no way this game could be bad. No way.

• YourMessageHere says:

No, it’s yet another tedious AR-15 variant (an SPR, I think) with 600 tons of extra crap bolted on, and in all likelihood you will be able to use very little if any of it.

• Armitage says:

It’s not that much, I only see a bipod, flashlight and scope.

Much more interesting is that the video has an iStock audio watermark at [00:27] and [00:41]. That means they are using some portion of the audio without paying the creator.

• YourMessageHere says:

Also the silencer, and the rail-mount iron sights, and what I think is a leaf sight for a grenade launcher, although there isn’t a launcher attached. If it’s the same gun as in the first person shot above the copyright infringement, it also has a small dot sight bolted onto the top of the scope. That’s plenty.

• PodX140 says:

Yep, at this point you’re STRONGLY hindering your ability to shoot with an extra 4 pounds attached, if not more. I can understand the irons and optic, that’s in case your optic breaks or becomes unusable. I can understand the silencer, and MAYBE the bipod. Flashlight on almost any weapon is a must. What boggles my mind is the additional red dot on the scope and I agree what appears to be a LEAF.

• USER47 says:

That ACOG version with red dot sights on top is pretty common thing nowadays. I don’t really see anything that strange about the weapon. It’s definitely not the most stupid “tacticool” setup I’ve seen in videogames.

• Alex Bakke says:

Pod: You’re… You’re ok with a bipod, ACOG, flashlight (On a marksman’s rifle, no less) and suppressor, but you draw the line at a 10 gram docter sight and a non-existent ladder/leaf sight?

If you’re clearing a room (Ridiculous if you’re on point with an SPR, but anyway), you’re not going to be wanting to look down an ACOG.

• Snids says:

Give me Revolver Ocelots SAA and a lupera any day of the week. Or maybe just a sack of half-bricks.

• Geen says:

6 bullets. More than enough to kill anything that moves. And for the things that survive THAT, I have half a brick in a sock.

• Snids says:

Metal Gear could’ve done with a sock-brick dual…maybe on top of Rex with Liquid Snake.

• akeso says:

The thing is that if you look the silencer and tripod are attached to a rifle directly adjacent to the AR-15.
          Look at where the PC model’s left hand is and how it grips a solid rifle body (the AR-15) and how you can see a rifle model behind the left hand and the flow of the AR-15.

That is clearly two guns strapped together which is just stupid and screams “uninspired design.”

2. Moni says:

That all sounds good, but is there a button that lets you hug your partner?

• Orija says:

D’aw!

• tangoliber says:

Uncharted 3 has a buddy system (spawn on each other and do other things.) It let you high-five each other after a kill for extra XP or something. Overall, it was fun for a few minutes, but not really worthy of being a “big idea”.
      Also, if you have a party of three, it really makes the third guy feel left out. :)

• rockman29 says:

You just reminded me of playing GTA San Andreas co-op and being able to kiss your partner… lmao.

Also, go Canada! :D

• Geen says:

MGS4 had a ‘Hug your mother’ button during the motorcycle chase.

3. John Mirra says:

Built-in wallhacks everywhere, what a shame.

• Outright Villainy says:

Built in wallhacks worked pretty well in Blacklight: Retribution, it’s a nice way of encouraging more fast paced fighting, since camping becomes a lot less viable.

• John Mirra says:

What’s next? Aimbot for even more fast paced fighting?

• rapchee says:

well, there was that one game when one only moves from cover to cover ( i just read about it here, but that sounds pretty much like that)

4. MikoSquiz says:

WARTFIGHTER

apply daily

5. Drevyek says:

WARFACE

6. Misnomer says:

Very nice hands-on, but it still bothers me that RPS feels the need to Britishize the spelling of the highest American military honor.

I have wrote rants about this before on Medal of Honor threads so I won’t go into depth again because at least this time it seems to be an honest error instead of the “Screw you America” it was before.

Please think about using the proper spelling of the medal name in the future. Thanks.

• bit_crusherrr says:

It bothers me Americans have a vendetta towards the letter u.

• Okami says:

It bothers me that the americans would misspell the name of their highest military award.

• Orvidos says:

Congratulations, you are a literal crazy person.

• YourMessageHere says:

I think this is the first time I’ve seen an American complain about Britishizing (which ought to be ‘Britishising’ but we can let that go) words. I suppose the point is valid, at some point we have to acknowledge that they aren’t going to stop spelling things wrong, ahem, differently just because we don’t like it, but I have to say, this does nothing to dispel the ‘Americans don’t understand irony’ myth.

EDIT: actually, thinking about it, this isn’t valid, unless the author also believes awards from other countries ought only to be referred to in their original language. This is just the same as calling a Soviet medal the Order of Lenin rather than (the same thing but in Cyrillic) or a German medal the Iron Cross rather than Eisernes Kreuz. American English is a different language.

• Ignorant Texan says:

Irony? That’s a metal, like goldy or bronzy, right?

I know this gets people’s knickers twisted, so blame Noah Webster for it. He reformed spelling for American use, mainly by removing French influences(IE, the removal of u after o). Some of his proposals, thankfully, did not stick.

• Cinek says:

Thank god he didn’t propose removal of the French nation, cause knowing Americans and their attitude towards rest of the world – we wouldn’t have a chance to see Eiffel Tower any more.

• Ignorant Texan says:

Well, there’s a copy in Los Vegas, and the Chinese have a few copies, as well.

To give Mr Webster his due, he was attempting to simplify and standardize spelling for Americans. Mainly by removing what he viewed as extraneous letters. As I wrote, thankfully some of his proposals failed. Nok for knock being a particularly egregious example.

• Smashbox says:

G’Hyuck!

Kneeslappingly clevar.

• Aedrill says:

Why would he want to simplify English for Americans? Was he even aware that such things should, and usually do happen naturally, over generations? Besides, he wasn’t very impressed with Americans, was he? Removing ‘u’ to make the language simpler sounds quite insulting, really.

• Misnomer says:

Is the irony that RPS spelled the name differently in two posts on the same day? The Linkin Park music video post has no u, this one has a u. I suppose we can call that irony to be nice.

• YourMessageHere says:

…you’re making this worse you know.

The irony is this: You are, I assume, from the USA, a country that’s taken a well-established and extremely well documented language named after its own country of origin (English) and changed it for entirely spurious and arbitrary reasons, while neglecting to recognise that it has done so to speakers of the original language and not even bothered to rename it.

The influence of American English, like most aspects of American power, is huge and culturally imperialist: American English is the standard for international scholarly work, most of the internet that’s in English is in American, a great deal of software offers American English as the only English language option, and on top of that, you as a nation continue to pollute the language and coin dreadful neologisms that do exactly what existing words already do (cases in point: delegatino, roticulate, concepted – all genuine examples collected by me, all totally redundant). Americans are frequently totally unaware of the fact British English is spelled differently, and often don’t accept it when it is. My mother is an editor with over 25 years experience; she has been told by American scientists writing in UK journals (thus, in British English) that ‘Aluminium’ was flat out wrong. One even rang her to tell her she was spelling her name wrong.

RPS are a bunch of fairly enlightened chaps and they’re not that serious when they talk about ‘Dishonoured’ and so on; they are as aware of, and tired of, the above as I am. I’m sure they also understand that American English is as valid a language as British English is. This site, however, is British and as such is written in British English, not to mention the exaggerated Britishness of the place generally (‘since 1873′ and all that) and the writers’ personae.

And yet, despite all that you are the one objecting and asking for sensitivity to another nation’s military and another nation’s language when native speakers of the original language use their own, a priori way of spelling a word which is perfectly valid and, as I said in my edited post, is technically a translation anyway.

That’s the irony. But never mind.

(oh and by the way, I know full well that many Americans can understand irony (and many British can’t, for that matter). I just mean you’re not doing them any favours.)

• Universal Quitter says:

How long ago was Webster? You’re talking about events that have basically zero relevance to every day events for the common person. Of course the average American doesn’t think about it or care, why would they?

I’m sorry you personally don’t like the way Americans spell certain words, but unless you’re going to run studies of which is easier to learn, having thousands of non-English speakers learning either American or British English, what judgements can you really make about them? All I see is you shaking your curmudgeonly fist and calling us upstarts. Where YOU alive in the Victorian era? What differing does it make to you?

Don’t be such a jingoist, dude.

• Universal Quitter says:

Side note: How quickly the comments spun off topic should be seen as evidence that no one cares about a new Medal of Hono(u)r game. Is the post-CoDMOD era nigh?

• codename_bloodfist says:

Well, no, I’m not an American, but “Medal of Honour” is not a perfectly valid spelling. A medal of honour of some kind, yes, the American Medal of Honor, no. It’s a proper noun and you don’t change proper nouns when converting between dialects.

• Nihilist says:

Yeah, they should just germanize all of it. Here is yöür Wärfightergäme, your hönöüräble Bonüs för tödäy.

• phuzz says:

If you think that’s bad/funny, try googling for “Dishonoured” and see how many big sites have let their fingers go on autopilot when writing their headlines.
      Also, the more you complain about us spelling words the correct way, the more we’ll do it just to annoy you.
      :p

• Snargelfargen says:

What a strange thing to be angry about.

• Caiman says:

Given that Americans insist on altering the spelling and indeed entire titles of British products released in the US, you should have no problem with us doing the same to yours.

• ffordesoon says:

As a fellow American, I am deeply annoyed every time you post in one of these threads, because you make us look like a bunch of shitheads.

Surely what’s important is not how you spell hono(u)r in your country of origin, but the concept of honor itself? If we all understand that the acquisition of the Medal of Honor is an achievement to be lauded, why can’t an American site spell it “honor” and a British site spell it “honour?” Both sites are talking about the same things, and we all understand that they’re talking about the same things, and nobody is deliberately and maliciously disrespecting one of America’s highest military hono(u)rs. Nobody is disputing that anyone who has won the Medal of Honor deserves a certain measure of respect. Where’s the problem? If I were to call it the “Meduhl erv Hunner,” would I be disrespecting veterans or America? No, I’d be spelling it in a silly way.

The name of the award is not what matters; it’s the thing the winner did to earn the award. If we called it the Nice Medal For Nice People To Have When They Do A Nice Thing, it’d be a silly name, but would it change what the award represents? This is even dumber than the flag desecration debate, because at least some people actually do things that are arguably desecration, like burning the flag. Here, it’s just the British spelling of a single word. I don’t know what America you come from, but in my America, we respect and hono(u)r cultural differences, and we don’t try to force people to conform to some arbitrary standard we set.

Are you the dude that said we shouldn’t be making fun of the name “warfighter” when it’s a real term used by the military? Because if so, that was a dumb argument too, because “warfighter” is a dumb word. You’re free to think it isn’t a dumb word, but it’s not disrespectful to actual “warfighters” to say so at all. If I read somewhere that Ghandi said “warfighter” at some point in his life, I would wonder why Ghandi used such a stupid word. Doesn’t stop me respecting Ghandi.

• Geen says:

See, this is my opinion. This is the reason we depict ourselves as overweight idiotic bigots. It’s because we have too damn many of them. Also, very tempted to defect to Canadialand, where they have kinder eggs and snow.

7. caddyB says:

lf only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances… Now, that would be interesting.

8. sharks.don't.sleep says:

I actually thought that nothing could get my interest in another MoH, but the buddy systems really stands out and got my attention.
    I just have two simple questions:

What’s the team size?
    Or do several pairs fight other pairs?

9. Armitage says:

Did anyone else hear “istock audio” throughout the video ? Wow, I bet iStock’s legal team is salivating over the big juicy steak that is EA.

• Cinek says:

@0:29
      OMG… it IS IN THERE!!!!!
      PREPARE FOR A STORM OF LAWSUITS!

• Smashbox says:

“iStock audio, iStock audio … i-i-i-i-i-stock audio … RE-Mixxxx”

10. Davee says:

In reference to the first and third images, i quote Grandpa Simpson: “THE SWEDISH ARE COMING!”

Also, that iStock audio watermark in the vid is hilarious.

• hanneswall says:

Pretty sure it’s swedes all the way.
      I thought we only did “Peacekeeping” assignments. Clearly EA knows something the public doesn’t!

11. Outright Villainy says:

Looks mildly interesting. I do like the focus on single partner teamwork, a more focused version of BF’s squad system sounds just swell. I’ll have to wait till I find out a little more though, nothing else seems to stand out at all.

12. BreadBitten says:

[Before starting to read the article] This ought’a be good!

13. Phantoon says:

You know, it really just sounds like Left4Dead’s style of co op tracking.

“It’s either a lesson in human behaviour, or a lesson in gamers following glowy things.” I think that’s the same thing.

And now these “ultra-realistic manshoots” are becoming more and more arcadey.

14. defunkt says:

I pre-ordered it yesterday. I despise COD but, having picked up the last MOH dirt cheap just to see another example of Frostbite 1.5, I was pleasantly surprised. In Hardcore, with the HUD opacity turned down to 0 and using the ‘hollow point’ unlock to give your gunfire convincing lethality I found it to be a pretty immersive shoot ‘em up. Would have been even better if they’d had more of the AAS style maps rather than the ‘whack-a-mole’ Sector Control.

15. lijenstina says:

Wow a drum barrel cover. That could be effective only if the opposing soldiers spent the previous night drinking beer from it.

16. Branthog says:

I would like to buy and play this, since it’s 50% off for BF3 Premium players, but I feel like it would be a soul-eroding contribution to the exploitation of a bunch of young soldiers overseas for a shitty marketing campaign that is beyond repulsive. I mean, more so than other modern military shooters that sort of vaguely touch on that concept. What this is capitalizing upon is just so . . . fucking wrong.