Jim Wants To Show You Some Lost Planet 3

By John Walker on October 11th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

Jim! It's Jim!

No, not our Jim, although the similarities are uncanny. Though we suspect the Jim in Lost Planet 3 is based on our own Jim’s days when he used to run around with a camera on his shoulder, shooting at giant insects in icy wastelands. You can see a new nine-minute narrated walkthrough video below.

Presumably as part of the process of convincing us it’s really not Dead Space On Ice, what’s shown here is all about the straight action, fighting big insects.

Jim does seem to have the controls wrested away from him quite often. But Jim does show us a big enemy encounter of the sort Jim was worried might be missing earlier this year. Jim’s still waiting to be convinced about Jim. Jim.

, , , .

1. Velko says:

JIMFACE

2. Aemony says:

What I wonder the most is whether LP3 will be more like LP1 or 2. LP1 was a favorite, but I disliked the arcadey focus on scores and coop and stuff in LP2. Actually never finished that one even though I finished LP1 multiple times.

• grable says:

Im thinkin the same thing. LP1 was great even though it was a bit arcady, but LP2 sucked donkey balls so im hoping this one is more like the original (but better!).

• Sheng-ji says:

I was about to ask how I missed LP2 because the first one was great, but I think you guys just answered my question!

3. ghazbanbodarr says:

AWK-WARRRRRRRRRRRDDDDD

4. Tei says:

Third person shooter, quick time events, “horror”,.. How can this game avoid getting compared negatively to Dark Space?

5. JBantha says:

WARSPACE. It really pisses me off that he sees someone leaping from a ledge and he does not only not investigate the jump, he actually stops running.

6. Jim9137 says:

That’s awfully disturbing of Jim.

7. Lamellama says:

Running around with some friends shooting giant monsters isn’t a bad idea for a game, they just never did it very well. I certainly wouldn’t have recommended disneyfying the graphics, adding lots of quicktime and forcing strange button tapping minigames as ways to improve it.

8. Zyrxil says:

Huh. That cutscene was actually well directed, with very good voice acting. Not something I’d expect from Capcom.

9. Screamer says:

But what if its really Jim on a Lost Planet?

• Squirrelfanatic says:

We need to get him/Jim out of there! Who is with me?

10. DXN says:

The gameplay looks pretty standard but I daresay it’s serviceable enough – but what I really liked about this is the acting! I don’t know what it is about the direction, or maybe the mocap, or maybe even the sound recording, but something about it seemed very different from the standard, stiff and posed and obviously-recorded-in-a-studio feeling of most videogames. Even good ones, like (sorry!) Dishonored. Somehow, this comes across as more natural, like it’s actually the characters speaking (even if the script is a bit hackneyed). Now, that’s not to say it raises above the level of, say, a typical network sci-fi show, but that’s a pretty high bar compared to most of what you see in games. So whatever it is, I hope more people start doing it!

11. karthink says:

Oh look, another game where you run around doing tasks given to you over radio by an authority figure. And shooting and stabbing creatures in glowing red spots.

Yeah, I’m a little grumpy today. The acting was good, though.

12. dubusadus says:

Did you know that a scorpion’s genitals are right above their pecs? You’re welcome! Now maybe you won’t feel like you’ve just wasted nine minutes of your precious, improbable life on a manshooter geared for the lowest common denominator.

felisc says:

somehow i’m now picturing those scorpions from Serious Sam firing with gatling cocks from the chest. disturbing.

Hanban says:

I really like the character design in the game. For some reason I find them looking like people more so than in other games. They look sort off.. odd. In a good way!

Tom De Roeck says:

BUT I WANT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!

jrodman says:

Where did we put that planet? It was around here somewher.

16. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

If its anything like RE6 it will be QTE hell!!! When RE6 drops on PC there will be a massive outcry from the PC community as few will expect the number of times Capcom yank control away from the player for some button mashing!

17. Crazygeek777 says:

Macready is in the next lost planet? i might actually buy this game.

18. YourMessageHere says:

So Jim is sad because a dwarf robot with long arms, chunky fingers and glowing fingernails wants another piggyback.