Star Citizen’s “Pledge For Your Ship” Is Open

By Jim Rossignol on October 11th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Hello there.
As revealed in yesterday’s look at Chris Robert’s Star Citizen, there is a pledge-based pre-order model for the space-shooter, and it’s a “pledge for your ship” model. A clever idea, I think you’ll agree, keeping crowd-funding within the fiction of the game. Mr Roberts explains the idea behind the game in a wide-ranging ten-minute video which you can watch below, or you can step right up and pledge here. They’re looking to raise $2m, but I guess we’ll see about that.

Tonnes more footage from the game in that video, too. Worth a watch, even if you were unconvinced by the first video.

So that sounds ambitious, eh? The universe as a dynamic entity is something that developers have talked about time and again over the years, but it seems like Roberts might be able to pull it off if they really can manage updates every two weeks.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. tehsorrow says:

Am I a bad person for being unsure if I want to pledge for this game without being able to see pledge numbers (as in, how many backers and how much has been backed)? I love what I see, but I’m concerned about pledging for a project that might not take off (excuse the pun)

• Choca says:

Then just wait a bit, they’ll probably reach their goal real fast or not at all so you’ll be able to see if it’s worth your money or not.

• Podesta says:

Well, I’m going for it either way, but I do like to see the numbers and “monitor” how they are doing…
      But yeah, I guess that it is a great move to take the step they are taking, but they will not receive as much attentions as they would if they were on kickstarter, so they will need a lot of press coverage (thats the PC spirit btw..)..

• Arcanon says:

The main website (the one with the numbers) is still down. Yesterday, 3 hours after the announement more or less, they’d reached 120.000$.

• tehsorrow says:

Oh well that’s definitely encouraging, but it’s a long way to 2 million, but I want this to exist.

• Dux Ducis Hodiernus says:

I can honestly say that this not being on kickstarter is a serious turnoff for me. I’m sure there are others that feel the same. I really only feel like I want to pledge trough it, since it’s my main platform for such things, and everything is much smoother and stable. I don’t want to remember another account’s pass and username. I don’t want to go to a separate website to see updates for one specific game. I don’t want to go trough another payment system just for this game.

They’re limiting their sales by some doing this. I can’t say for sure if it’s any significant amount, but I personally believe the impact they make by doing this seemingly minor alternative, can be quite painful.

Kickstarter would be insta-pledge for me, I’m really doubting that I’ll pledge through their website.

• MDefender says:

They both use the same payment services and systems. This one has more options for that, in fact – and don’t most kickstarter games require you to make an off-site account later on anyway?

• roguewombat says:

“I can honestly say that this not being on kickstarter is a serious turnoff for me.”

Because honestly, Kickstarter deserves to make $50,000 for every million Chris Roberts raises, right?

Agreed w/ MDefender on the response to such hesitations. You have to have a payment account somewhere, and you’re going to have to create an account on Roberts’ site if you ever intend to actually play the game you’re funding.

$50k per million on top of higher payment fees (3% – 5%) than you can negotiate elsewhere is not chump change for large projects like this, especially when the creator of the project brings the legitimacy to the campaign that lesser known projects rely on Kickstarter for.

• LintMan says:

From their web site:

What If You Don’t Raise Enough Money?
            We are encouraged by the overwhelming response to our “underground” launch site with over 20,000 registered users that we will reach, and hopefully exceed our minimum goal. We also believe that the response to our crowd funding campaign will cause certain fans and investors to step up with additional funding. Nonetheless, we are offering you the option to have your money refunded (less processing fees), should we really not reach our minimum goal. Or you may leave it in so that we can use it for additional fund raising or to continue working on the game at a reduced level.

Kickstarter doesn’t charge you processing fees to get your money back if the project doesn’t hit its goal. This seems to be more like the Indiegogo model whee they keep the money regardless of hitting the goal. This is a big difference – enough so that RPS stopped mentioning those projects in its weekly Kickstarter Katchup.

• Arcanon says:

That’s like saying “if the game is not on Steam I won’t buy it”…

I mean, really? Either you want to support it or you don’t, whatever happened to bookmarks to keep track of things?

• c-Row says:

The RSI website notes that this information will be displayed soon on the pledge site.

• derbefrier says:

With things like this I think the best philosophy is, at least for us people on a budget, not to donate anymore money than your willing to say waste at a bar on a night of drinking or something equally wasteful with your money. I think I am going with the 30 option. I cant stand to loose 30 bucks and not see anything come out of it.

2. Matchstick says:

They do say that if they don’t make the total they will offer to refund money (minus processing fees) so there is that…

“What If You Don’t Raise Enough Money?

Nonetheless, we are offering you the option to have your money refunded (less processing fees), should we really not reach our minimum goal. Or you may leave it in so that we can use it for additional fund raising or to continue working on the game at a reduced level.”

I’ve gone ahead and signed up.

3. Jabberwocky says:

There’s just so many things about the design of this game that are very hard to pull off.

It’s interesting that the project spokesperson has massive space sim cred, but not as a big, modern, MMO tech guy. I mean, obviously he’s the right guy to have talking, but that in itself doesn’t make the goals of the project credible. I’d be very interested to see more names from the team – is that available?

As a space sim guy myself, I’d love to see space sims pulled back into the realm of big-budget teams. If it succeeds, it will validate a genre I love, which is awesome. If it dies, well… that’s yet another nail in the coffin of publishers (and perhaps crowd funding) ever backing a big space sim game. Don’t fck it up, boys.

4. Makariel says:

Is Chris Roberts Star Citizen Kane?

5. SquareWheel says:

Confused by the business model. It sounds like micro-transactions based off of the pledge descriptions. Game looks fantastic but that’s a big turn off if so.

• Didero says:

If they used a subscription model, they’d go the way of TOR and The Secret World.
      Plus, if I read the site correctly, you can buy everything with in-game credits, and you can buy those credits with real-world money or earn them by playing. So there’s no forcing of spending real money.

• Arcanon says:

According to the FAQ it’s similar to Guild Wars 2, pay for the game and then micro-transaction without selling power.

Could be worse.

• ibnarabi says:

I like the GW2 model, it doesn’t really effect game balance, and it makes sense for the Dev’s, as long as they get a lot of buy in on the front end, everything works out well all around.

• zeroskill says:

Agreed the Guild Wars 2 model is pretty solid for a game that will see continued support after release. Also, Roberts mentioned in one of the videos, they are looking at short development cycles and maybe wanna implement a system where players can model their own ship design’s and sell them to other players, but he didn’t say if that would be for ingame currency or real money. But it reminds me of how Valve does it with Dota 2 cosmetics.

Overall Roberts seem to have followed the PC market very well in the last few years and seems to be making the right conclusions, however we will have to see if he can pull it off eventually. I really hope so.

• Fox89 says:

He very much implied real world money (although didn’t say it directly), because he said “players will be able to make some money because another player thinks their design is cool.”

Seems like a no-brainer to me: allow players to submit and sell content for real money, take a cut of the sales. Players get more content. Other players have incentive to make content in order to make real money. The developers get more money to keep creating content, keep the servers up, make a nice profit. Game gets better, attracts more players, it’s a happy cycle.

I doubt a model like that could sustain a game on its own… but I also imagine we’ll be seeing more typical micro-trans stuff. Cosmetics, sidegrades, ships. A lot of the stuff you’d get from a big free to play like Planetside.

• LintMan says:

What I want to know is how does the microtransaction stuff impact the single player game? Do the offline single player people need to go online and pay up to get access to that stuff?

6. Roritharr says:

Suddenly i’m very happy to have backed the Oculus Rift…

7. Gap Gen says:

Anyone know if I can get a pledge reward that gets me the full game by digital download without having to pay for postage? I’m in the Old World, where people wear very large wigs and smell of sewage, y’see. Also I move a lot and don’t want a lot of plastic boxes.

8. Radwulf says:

@ Gap Gen
    I think the postage is only for the White Citizen’s card which I think is a optional gimmick.

• Gap Gen says:

OK, thanks! Do you know whether you get embassy protection from Roberts Industries if you have the White Card, or is it more of a EHIC kind of thing?

9. The Tupper says:

Small style point: when using the term ‘tonne’ in a metaphorical sense is it strictly necessary to use the metricified/linguistically mangled version?

Surely a ton’s a tonne, after all.

10. eks says:

I love space sims with all my heart and I’m probably going to back this project against my better judgment. But I honestly think this is far too ambitious and think that when this thing releases (if it ever does) it will be a bloody huge disappointment.

11. freeid says:

love it, wing commander was one of the top five most influential games of my youth. I find his English/Californian hybrid accent cool too!

12. HexagonalBolts says:

It looks amazing BUT

1. There’s barely any comment on the gameplay – I’m not really sure I have a feel for how the game is intended to play…

2. At the moment I have kickstarted or alpha-funded: project zomboid, prison architect, natural selection, overgrowth, project eternity, planetary annihilation, castle story, wasteland 2 – I’m starting to think that this is quite a big investment and quite a lot of risk, perhaps I should be more discerning and stop throwing money at every idea I like the sound of.

• ibnarabi says:

There is quite a bit on the gameplay, go read the page, scroll down;

Fully dynamic economy driven by player actions;
      If too many people fly iron ore to the smelting plants of New Pittsburg, steel prices will drop. Buy low... sell high... you hope.
      The cost of society;
      In game trade landing and trade tariffs pay for law and order in the civilized systems. Want to make a bigger profit? Try the outer world - outside earth's infrastructure and protection. The downside? No military or local police to protect you from an opportunistic pirate!
      Money isn't everything;
      You could be a trader, a miner or an industrial magnate. Amass great wealth or just run enough missions to earn a comfortable living and upgrades for your ship."

• Stevostin says:

The more project funded, the lesser the risk, that’s for sure, but the lesser the potential gain lever as well. Basic stats ^^

Now TBH I neven funded any game but that one absolutely has to exist. I am sorry if you wasted your money into less important stuff, but this one really needs it. If we don’t fund it, we can say goodbye to space combat / elite like game forever. I’ll probably do the extra miles to paypal with that one.

• Armitage says:

NS2 and Overgrowth don’t count because you get instant access. Feel free to keep wasting your money.

13. Optimaximal says:

I guess the good point about a space game is you don’t need to create much other than spaceships and carriers to release content updates.

It’s all text, scripting and co-ordinates, if my FreeSpace 2 days ring true :)

• Tridae says:

Exactly. That way they can easily add a lot more content much easier. Space is mostly nebula textures and a couple of rocks. No modelling flowers and caves and towns and . and .and like skyrim or the likes.

I like how they’re giving the interior of carriers some love. Those interiors would be the only modelling challenges really as then it gets to full on FPS type detail, but I’m confident once they’ve got a routine and formula going the content will keep flowing. Maybe even community build stations will appear?

14. Tridae says:

I really don’t understand why people are so sceptical. We’ve already seen a lot from the videos. At the very least we’ll get a very glossy looking Freelancer clone. People are needlessly freaking out about the dreaded MMO thing. Freelancer was an MMO, a privately run custom server MMO which anyone can mod to their choosing and you could still just play it singleplayer if you so chose.

This is the best thing to happen to space sim games in 10 years and it’s met with such scepticism from it’s supposed ‘fans’? Drop the worries and support it. By the looks of it it’ll include a TF2 style “hat/ship” workshop to generate microtransactions after release which is absolutely perfect if you ask me as I can almost guarantee the PC modding community will go ape over this and create an insane amount of content for it.

No MMO levelling crap.
    Custom servers.
    Custom content.
    Singleplayer.

Need I say more? This is PC Space Sim as it was meant to be.

• Zelius says:

“Freelancer was an MMO, a privately run custom server MMO which anyone can mod to their choosing and you could still just play it singleplayer if you so chose.”

You’ve hit the nail on the head right there. Freelancer’s single player campaign was alright, I guess, but the real fun was to be had on one of its privately run 100+ player servers.

And I’m not even a fan of multiplayer.

• LintMan says:

IIRC, Freelancer’s SP campaign sucked. It just sort of ended after a short while and then you were left to just fart around on your own. Which is boring as hell if you’re just playing SP.

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of for this game.

15. Crosmando says:

An MM fucking O, goddamn what a disappointment, for all the bluster in the video intro about the PC master race and consoles, the guy has chosen one of the most shitty always-online DRM infested ideas that has ever vomited itself upon the gaming market. Yeah we hate consoles, tablets, all that next-gen shit, just play our game – but make sure you sign up first and oh btw you can only play while online, you can only play online with your “friends”.

Richard Garriot, Warren Spector, man how many more oldtimer developers are going to drink the MMO kool-aid before they realize they are drinking poison.

• Radwulf says:

It’s not just an MMO. It has a single player campaign equivalent to that of a game like Freespace. After that you’re let free to do what you want similar to that of Freelancer. You can either play it online on the MMO servers or create your own which you can play with some friends or by yourself.

I’ve seen nothing that suggests that Star Citizen will be online only drm or a pure MMO, although the wonkiness of the servers doesn’t help.

• Matchstick says:

According to the website there will be an Off-line option

“Navy Wings are made of Gold”

Wing Commander style single player mode, playable OFFLINE if you want

Playable offline or online, co-op with friends, you sign up for a tour of duty with the UEE fleet, manning the front lines, protecting settlements from Vanduul warbands.”

• Lobotomist says:

He never in one word says its going to be MMO. If anything there will be system similar to Freelancer where people can host their own servers.

However quote from the pledge page:
        “Wing Commander style single player mode, playable OFFLINE if you want”

• Danny252 says:

In fact, assuming I heard him right in the video, you don’t even need to do the tour of duty – if you just want to mess around and mine rocks, you’re cool to do that as well.

• zeroskill says:

The Rock Paper Shotgun comment section turns more and more into a neverending totalbiscuit mailbox nightmare, where misinformation and jumping to conclusions runs rampant. What a shame.

This used to be such a nice place for discussion about vidya games but lately it’s just slowly dropping down to youtube level.

First off all this isn’t an MMO, it will have a persistant universe where anything you do will have direct impact on the world. However it isn’t, as the term clearly says, a massivly multiplayer online game in the traditional sense. You can play single player offline, as well as run private servers, modded servers, play connected to their official servers (where jump in coop is enabled) and your achievments will have lasting effect on the gaming universe.

The game features a fully playable offline mode, basically Wind Commander. The rest of the game is fundamentally Freelancer/Privateer in a sustained world. All in one package.

“Yeah we hate consoles, tablets, all that next-gen shit”

Consoles arn’t “next gen”, that’s the point. And tablets are nothing more than outdated and repackaged PC’s with a shiny design thrown on top of it to maximize profit from old hardware that otherwise couldn’t be sold anymore. Nothing about either tablets or current consoles is cutting edge technology or “next gen”, to use that console industry buzzword they usually throw at kids to make them buy their hardware.

Spreading misinformation on this website wont get you far. I advise you to take it somewhere else where you find likeminded people.

• Shadowcat says:

Consoles aren’t “next gen”, that’s the point.

Well nothing that you have (or can have) now is “next-gen”.

• cptgone says:

“The game features a fully playable offline mode, basically Wind Commander.”
        wind commanders?
        they sow the wind and reap the whirlwind. the stalk has no head; it will produce no flour. were it to yield grain, foreigners would swallow it up.

• Makariel says:

You didn’t really read/listen to all the information before you wrote this ill-informed opinion piece, right?

• Caiman says:

Oh for fuck’s sake, I’m really losing faith in humanity here. Read the goddamn site. Single player, offline, private servers, all these things are catered for. But if you want a massive persistent universe with a lot of other players then yes, you obviously need to be online. If that makes it an MMO because it’s multiplayer, it’s online, and it’s massive, then yeah, but this is not World of Warcraft in space! It’s a single player and multiplayer game set in a massive universe. It sounds (and looks) like everything I’ve ever wanted from a space sim (although planetary landings would top it off). Rather than yet another retread of what we’ve seen in the past, I’m glad that someone like Roberts has the vision to try it. He’s pretty upfront about how much it’s all going to cost, the reason for the crowdfunding at this stage apart from raising some of the funds is to prove to potential investors that there’s still an audience for these games.

• LintMan says:

Chill out,dude. We’ve seen the claims but that doesn’t resolve the issues I and some other people have. Just because they say “single player offline mode” doesn’t mean that it will be a rich single player game. What makes for good SP gameplay is very often different than what makes for good MP gameplay, and often concessions must be made for one or the other in order to support both.

For me, when the story/campaign of a SP game ends, the game is OVER; I’m not going to fly around an empty universe by myself grinding to get better ships just to get better ships. And I have no interest in playing online multiplayer. So the X hours provided by the campaign is all I get for my money. Thus a SP campaign designed to get people’s feet wet before they move on to the open world for MMOing and co-op-ing will be a massive disappointment for me.

Everything YOU want. Not everything I or a lots of other SP players want. We don’t WANT a massive persistent universe. You keep railing against people using the term MMO, but the description fits. You may not like the WOW associations but you’re the only one bringing those up. My problems with MMOs have absolutely nothing to do with WOW.

16. Lobotomist says:

Yea, I pledged. If anyone can pull this off , this guy can. And we have been waiting so long !
    I mean Freelancer & Wing Commander in one game !

Take my money !

17. CPLDANABD says:

You know the walking around on the carriers bits I’ve been seeing got me thinking, wouldn’t it be sortof awesome if you could board larger ships and FPS your way through their innards, maybe have NPC Marines and Crew recruitable to defend your ship and the like once it gets large enough and to accompany more human boarders to fill out their numbers. I don’t know about others, but I’ve always wanted a space sim where I could do the whole boarding thing in addition to the flying aspects. Would be incredible even if it was just something added after release.

• Radwulf says:

It’s a very nice idea but I doubt it would be implemented. The budget for this game will already be relatively small given its ambitions and will have to earn its stripes on the core gameplay. If they make a separate FPS later with the same IP they may be able to merge the two games for a more complete experience, but they will need experience making those sorts of games which they may not have.

I’m still waiting for more information on the rest of the studio and how Blackspace fares before I will consider pledging.

• CPLDANABD says:

That’s true, either way it still looks like a beautiful space sim and I’m loving the graphical fidelity, definitely pledging once I get a bit more breathing room in the way of finances(the wonders of being a student).

• zeroskill says:

It could be implemented post release. I mean it shouldn’t be that big of a deal since they are using the CryEngine 3. If the players want that. But remember, most of the player base will be Wing Commander/Privateer/Elite players that probably arn’t that interested in FPS action. It’s an interesting idea though.

They are looking to support mods, so maybe we see something like this created by the community.

• Harlander says:

Did you ever try Eternal Silence? It’s multiplayer only but it might scratch a little bit of your space-fighter-to-boarding-FPS itch

• Nihilist says:

In a very rough way RULES OF ENGAGEMENT and BREACH did this back then in 1993, but only in 2D.

• Greg says:

He said as much at a press/dev conference in Austin yesterday. I’m paraphrasing, but he said basically that if you have a friend with a millennium falcon type ship you and other friends will be able to fly as passengers, man turrets and explore corridors as the ship flies about the cosmos. Also during that press/dev conference he demonstrated the level of scale and fidelity during an in engine demonstration where he flew his little fighter ship out of a much larger carrier. He pulled is fighter around and got within 100 meters or so of the bridge/operations section and you could actually see the interior of the vessel through the windows. He went on to mention players would be visible and persistent allowing you to say wave to somebody given you were in visible range. It was quite impressive, I believe there was a link to that conference on the robertsspaceindustries.com site.

18. phenom_x8 says:

I acces their north american mirror websites last night (in my country, afternoon in UK maybe), and saw $ 1000000 have been pledged. I didnt very sure was that true or not, can anyone confirm??

19. mispelledyouth says:

I nearly spilled my tea all down me when I saw the game being played with a controller.

He lies! It’s actually a console game! Graaaaaaaarghbleurghohhhnooooooo…… etc.

• Podesta says:

I was a little bit worried about this the first time as well, but I think it was his way to show you can play it the way you prefer: want keyboard and mouse? go for it. Want a fully spaceship joystick? Go for it. Want use a xbox controller? Go for it. It’s the freedom, pretty much the heart of pc gaming.

• Radwulf says:

As strange as it is to play a pc exclusive game with a gamepad I think it’s actually a very good decision. Many more people will have gamepads on the pc than joysticks and it provides analogue control. I already play (modded) Freespace 2 this way.

• buzzmong says:

^^
        I already have a joystick, it’s a bit old and the hat button is playing up, but I have one, but the moment it fully breaks my wired 360 pad will swap from being permanently attached to my 360 to my PC.

Analogue controls are the bees-knees for flight or driving games.

20. Radwulf says:

I’m still having issues accessing the proper website. Does anyone have any news on cross platform support? It’s Cryengine 3 which apparently has a Linux port but no one has used it yet.

21. Cinek says:

So, what the RSI Constellation is?
    That’s the carrier from cinematics?

• yonsito says:

And what is an RSI Aurora? Is it like a Volkswagen? Or more like a Tata? How does it compare to an Origin 300i?
      Ah, what the hell, I think I have a few Euros to spare for Mr. Roberts.

• kaffis says:

From reading the names of the pledge levels, my assumption is the Constellation is a small multi-crewed ship (most likely the one he makes the reference to the Millennium Falcon as an analogue), since the name of the first pledge level to feature it is “Come Play With Me.” The Origin 300i might be a two-man ship, since its pledge level is “Make Mine a Double,” but that inference feels a little more shaky.

The Aurora, Hornet, and Freelancer all seem fairly well described — the Aurora is the starter ship that final product box-purchasers will be awarded for free, and will probably be a basic all-rounder that you’ll want to earn your way out of quickly to move onto better, more specialized ships, while the Hornet and Freelancer are described as nicely equipped, if small, ships to fit their roles. I expect Hornets and Freelancers will be fine choices for just “staying” in if you’re into dogfighting or light cargo roles. Bigger options for each role will be available, but will likely have lots of tradeoffs with regards to maneuverability to earn better firepower or cargo capacity etc.

22. melnificent says:

Own site crowdfunding rather than a known quantity such as kickstarter/indiegogo…..

As much as I would like to pledge my support, that has turned me off.

• Radwulf says:

It’s a bold move and will be interesting to see just how badly (if at all) they are punished through moving out of the existing crowdfunding ecosystem.

• Cinek says:

Crowdfounding doesn’t belong to Kickstarter or any other website trying to earn money one of people supporting independent projects.

• InternetBatman says:

No, but hosting your own crowdfunding could be subject to all kinds of abuse.

• Matchstick says:

I suspect we’ll all discover soon enough that crowdfunding via Kickstarter is open to plenty of forms of abuse as well.

• Radwulf says:

It’s nothing to do with ownership and everything to do with exposure. For people inclined towards crowdfunding they know they can go to sites like Kickstarter to see projects of interest that they might consider funding. If you don’t use one of those sites it becomes harder to self promote, harder for people to learn about your project even if they might be interested if they knew, and so harder to acquire funds. If this wasn’t necessary for many projects there would be no Kickstarter as who would want to pay them their cut if it wasn’t required to achieve funding goals.

• RakeShark says:

I hope this isn’t one of those “If it isn’t on Steam…” kinda of reactions.

• Dark Nexus says:

It hasn’t turned me off completely, but it’s definitely given me pause. From what I’ve seen, Kickstarter seems more pledger-friendly.

• Skabooga says:

Well, it certainly helps that Chris Roberts is a know quantity, so there is a higher level of trust in his professionalism and that he won’t rip you off. Plus, this way, RSI doesn’t have to give a share to Kickstarter, and can thus use that money on game development instead.

23. Artist says:

A character with 100k faces? Eh, rofl? Seems he missed the age of bump mapping while his burnout hiatus?!

• SooSiaal says:

There’s only so much you can do with bump mapping that when you can use 100k faces,you gladly will do so, as Chris said, loose wires etc such details can’t be done with bumpmapping alone..

24. Nameless1 says:

Can’t you post the GMC panel video? It’s by far the most interesting.

25. Dux Ducis Hodiernus says:

Was there any Singleplayer mentioned for this game? I don’t like MMO’s too much, it doesn’t feel like my “world”/”universe”, and I can’t really get Immersed. Especially with factors such as Ingame chat and other player interaction, where people won’t really act realistically. Such things brutally breaks my Immersion instantly.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Aye, single player that can also be joined as co-op

• Fox89 says:

According to the site they are also planning on multiple single player campaigns in the future as part of the product updates. So the ‘MMO’ aspect will help prop up and create content for the Squadron 42 single player side.

That seems like a pretty nice idea to me. I’m the sort who would love to immerse myself in the single player, do a bit of drop-in drop-out stuff in the online world… and then go back to the Single player when some new content comes out.

26. InternetBatman says:

I am really, really not a fan of the way this business model looks. You pay these developers relatively sight unseen, on their own site in which they pledge to return funds if they don’t make it, normally the risk is ameliorated by lower costs, but this costs half the price ($30 on the pledge screen, $40 on the introductory site) of a new AAA game, and if it’s an MMO then they are selling power right now, because higher pledge tiers get more in-game currency and better ships to start with.

This is a far too one-sided model for me to support.

• Nihilist says:

You don’t have to do anything, just wait and see. I will buy all these crowdfunded games when they actually come into existance and pay probably my 10 Euro “no risk”-fee more than the funders.

27. squareking says:

I thought I emptied out all my want after Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity. Looks like I had a lot left.

28. bagpuss606 says:

I’d pledge but my card won’t do Euros. Any way around that (apart from the evil Paypal)?

29. Reapy says:

It’s funny but I didn’t get to see any videos at work and kinda rolled my eyes at the game, then got to watch the pitches at home and it kinda makes me want this game pretty bad, but probably not in the form they want to deliver it. It just seems like such a massive undertaking and crowd sourcing it seems like it’s really the wrong funding method for something that’ll require permanent infrastructure to support.

That all said, after my first ride in a WW2 plane with a trackIR like set up, and after I watched DSC blackshark’s helo start up sequence videos, I wondered why nobody had created a space fighter game where I have a clickable, detailed cockpit I could pan my head about. You don’t even have to worry about getting it right or having to deal with inconvenient realism, just make a badass cockpit system.

Though a privater like world with an Occulous rift set up… dear god, can I leave my current world behind yet? :)

While I won’t be pledging to something like this, I would definitely be an eager customer for a functioning product.

• kaffis says:

“Actually I thought it would be great to have your in game pilot sporting VR headwear as he mounted up. If you think about future tech (and present) having your pilot geared up with augmented reality is probably how things would go anyways, and would sort of bring you one step closer to being immersed.”

While it could offer some more immersion, doing so is very much tied to the flavor of the world you want. I, for one, really like the notion of the rendered cockpits, and miss the classic LucasArts/Wing Commander days where the rendered cockpits had functional elements to convey information to you. I loved that feel, and it immerses me in a way that augmented reality HUDs don’t.

Is it likely that augmented reality HUDs are probably the way future cockpits will convey information? Yes. Does that mean I want it in my science fiction? Not always. Because HUDs will always feel video gamey to me, because that’s where I experienced them while real life equipment still had readouts, gauges, and made you look at your magazine to see how many rounds were left. So, ironically enough, I look at a game like MechWarrior Online, and get a little sad that targetting information is in a little HUD window instead of a screen in the cockpit, even though the setting, going back to its roots in the 80′s, has always been one that would support a HUD since the guys basically wear cybernetic VR helmets anyways.

I’m really excited to see the cockpits with the fold-away glass screens. It’s a very cool combination of a high-tech feel with a tangibility that grounds the fiction to me in a way that I anticipate will only heighten the immersion. And the fact that they fold away means that you can get rid of them when you value the visibility over the information.

30. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

poor guy has an itch inside a space suit at 6:50

31. Brise Bonbons says:

Color me curious, but firmly in the camp that sees this one as straining credulity just a couple light-seconds too far. The funding goal seems way too small compared to the scope of the project, though I guess it could just be a goal that is big enough to interest other investors? Maybe?

Either way, I guess we’ll find out in a couple years – so I can safely focus on the glut of great games out *now* for the time being. Thank heavens!

Comment on this story