Robot Rock: Hawken Closed Beta Dates, Sign Ups Open

By Jim Rossignol on October 12th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Jump-jets and chainguns are going to be tested to their limit between October 26th-29th as Hawken throws itself into the oily maelstrom of closed beta testing. The sign-up thingum is here. At some point thereafter there will be an open beta, I believe, before the game of robot-combat becomes a fully-fledged free-to-play affair. If you need reasons to be excited about all this then I’d recommend having a read of Adam’s Hands On experience with the game, and watching this game footage.

Entirely unrelated Daft Punk track posted below.

, , .

1. KikiJiki says:

Game is good, people should sign up if interested! I imagine the matchmaking engine will need a fair number of people for a good test.

2. vonkrieger says:

Ah RPS, now not only deciding what games I should play but the music I should listen to.

I approve, and look forward to the next piece of frivolous agency you can amputate with your surgeon-pens.

Clavus says:

I’ve been playing the closed alpha. Best mech game I’ve ever played (although that doesn’t say much). They somehow manage to combine fast-paced gameplay with bulky ravaging mechs. The visuals are pretty great too.

• x1501 says:

Is it really better than the original Mechwarrior games? I’m almost afraid to get my hopes up.

• haradaya says:

No. It’s not a simulator. It’s a fast paced shooter. But the mech aesthetics are very good.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

I’m in both the MWO and Hawken test groups, and they are indeed very different games. MWO feels like a simulator, it’s got a lot of depth and richness to it as far as the developers thinking about it as you piloting a mech goes. Hawken is Unreal or Quake with a mech theme. That said, it’s very very fun. It’s just not really comparable to the Mechwarrior series, they’re not really trying to do the same thing.

• Sic says:

I’m a bit afraid to speak up, but no; it’s not anywhere near MW2.

It feels like Unreal Tournament without proper maps.

• JBantha says:

did the NDA died?! Are we free?! Can speak of our expectations and realities?! Finally?! Is this the smell of Freedom!?

• TechnicalBen says:

The Alpha NDA never dies AFAIK. You can only ever comment on the Open Beta when it released.
        To which I add, having played the Alpha and keeping non-NDA breaking, GET THE BETA it’s gonna be great. That’s about all I can suggest. :D

4. John Connor says:

If we already enlisted and got into the alpha, do we have to enlist again for the beta?

• Jeo says:

I would also like to know this, the launcher from the Alpha gives me an “Unable to download manifest” error.

• mrmalodor says:

The alpha is over. Those who played during the final alpha stress test will get into the closed beta.

5. Muzman says:

TB played it for a while at PAX if people want a taste that way.

It’s got an interesting vibe to it. Sort of not quite high-speed-old-school-DM (quite a bit slower really), but faster than ‘tactical shooter’ stuff. The mechs are fairly quick with jets etc but restricted in certain ways, so it’s not just slow Q3A with a mech look. You’re actually going to have to think about how you move around.

6. Hunchback says:

Looks awesome, even though a bit too fast for a “mech” game. Still, will definitely play the hell out of this one day.

I wish MWO would take note of the out-of-combat interface these guys are providing and adjust theirs, tbh MWO’s “launcher/menu/whatever-it’s-called” is really shite.

• gulag says:

Agreed.

Both this and MechWarrior Online are really great, divergent takes on the same thing, but MWO really needs to pull its socks up regarding it’s pre-match/garage interface.

7. Shortwave says:

I love this game way too much.
    Everyone and their mother should probably sign up.

8. HisMastersVoice says:

I do hope they’ll give us more than 4 days for the new build and maybe a few more servers too. Getting a game during Alpha 2 wasn’t easy.

9. wodin says:

I played the Beta..cool game..but I felt something was lacking..not sure what.

10. wodin says:

Oh and it isn’t that fast..not compared to COD anf BF3 etc etc. Maybe fast for a Mech game but I found it OK.

11. Radiant says:

How are adhesive funded?
    This seems like a very expensive game made without a publisher. I’m very curious how they got this project rolling.

• Hunchback says:

Wasn’t it just two guys coding this for lulz, at the start?

emotionengine says:

PEDANTRY ALERT: Just because they may have had fun doing it doesn’t mean they were doing it “for lulz”. (Also. regarding the question at hand, I don’t have the foggiest).

12. ilves says:

I found it sort of meh so far. Cool ideas, cool level of detail and UI everywhere, but just didn’t grab me. Got bored very quickly.

• zaphod42 says:

Same. Played the beta, Its cool, it plays well and looks GREAT considering the size of the team, but… eh.

Its a faster version of Mechwarrior Online. That’s cool, but I don’t really care that much about MWO right now either.

They’re both pretty cool, but I’ve got XCOM and Dishonored to play right now. So… maybe later.

• ilves says:

But I’m playing xcom and dishonored.. stop copying my gaming life!

• absolofdoom says:

Same here, I think it was the maps for me. They look nice but they’re awful. There’s almost no vertical aspect to them and they’re pretty small. Just got boring really quick.

13. waaaaaaaals says:

It’s more like a first person Phantom Crash game than a Mechwarrior game.

This is a good thing.

• John Connor says:

Fuck that game was great. My love for that game is half the reason I’m so excited for Hawken. The only thing it needs is personality chips for your mechs…