Aria Of (Mass) Effect: ME3′s ‘Omega’ DLC

By Nathan Grayson on October 13th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Finally, my copy of Hotline Miami XCVIII arrived!

Mass Effect 3‘s next batch of single-player DLC isn’t just any old carved up chunk of side story gristle. It is, according to BioWare, the biggest yet, which sends “Leviathan” – a synonym for the very concept of largeness (and perhaps also in-charge-ness) – tearfully packing to second place. Titled “Omega,” the new add-on comes bearing an elaborate tale in which you team up with ousted Omega ruler/master space-club-couch-lounger Aria T’loak in an effort to reclaim her old haunt. It also carries a price tag to match.

From the sound of things, Aria will become a squadmate in some capacity or another – although whether she’ll stick around after everything’s all said and done remains to be seen. Apparently, there’ll also be a female Turian somewhere in the mix. The whole adventure will run you a fairly hefty $15/£10-ish, so hopefully it’s as stuffed-to-the-weird-Asari-head-gill-things as BioWare claims. And if not, well, it’ll certainly be upsetting, but I can’t in good conscious chew all the way through the hand that constantly feeds me free multiplayer DLC.

I’m pretty interested in this one, though. Aria’s always been a fun character, and Leviathan proved that BioWare’s not afraid to meld elements of some different genres into the traditional Mass Effect adventure formula. Admittedly, Omega sounds like more of an all-out assault, but it wouldn’t be Aria without at least a bit of deception. We shall see.

Omega’s dropping on November 27th. It will apparently be very large. Is that enough to entice you, though, or will you be pinching your space pennies until you have a better idea of what you’re in for?

, , , .

1. Cam says:

We shall see, Bioware….

• Cathbadhian says:

Meh…already finished the game once and witnessed its disappointing ending to three games worth of decision making. Bioware appear to sink deeper into a pit of profiteering (DA2 should have been the last straw!). I’d prefer to take my money and buy an indie game that will entertain for days…

2. Ironclad says:

Remind me why I should give a **** about Omega? What military benefits -if any- does it hold?

3. Carighan Maconar says:

Not sure how I feel about the DLC. Ever since DAO I’ve been disappointed with the Bioware-DLC because it usually falls so far from the game it tries to enhance. Sure there are examples of really great DLC among it, but it still makes me wary of every single new piece.

• Masked Dave says:

Just read “expansion pack” instead of DLC.

Personally I liked Awakening and Leliana’s Song from DAO.

• Raitanator says:

Which were utter crap in length and content (and price) compared to other decent DLCs, for example to Old World Blues. Leliana’s song was basically one two-hour hack ‘n slash tube more.

Keeping that in mind, I would save my money and buy an indie game with 10£ or some golden classic from steam/gog-sales. BioWare’s DLC are definitely not worth of their price.

• Shadram says:

You’re complaining that Awakening was too short? o.0

• Screamer says:

Are we talking about the same Awakening ? The Awakening that took me 40 hrs?

4. Kollega says:

Can anyone tell me where “large and in charge” comes from? I only ever saw it on TV Tropes, and i doubt it got into Mr. Grayson’s lexicon from there. Or did it?

• DXN says:

‘Chunky A’ aka Arsenio Hall, “Large and in Charge” (1989)!

5. ElvisMZ says:

Doesn’t singleplayer DLC mess up the chronological order of things? I for instance have finished Mass Effect 3, thereby concluding the trilogy. I do not want to “rewind” for some piece of DLC.

• Arehandoro says:

Exactly. Completely agree with you.

• CountVlad says:

Same here. For me the story is finished. It’s one of those games that is great to play at the time, but I don’t really want to go back and replay it because it will just spoil the story that I’ve already experienced.

• celozzip says:

the majority of mass effect fans play these games dozens of times over as different characters, making different choices every time. that’s who the sp dlc is for.

i prefer to treat these games like one experience. i play once, not as a forced character (choosing paragon or renegade for everything, for example) but as myself, making the choices i would make in that situation. it may mean i don’t experience the full game i paid for but i think each replay cheapens the game experience and just reminds you it’s a game with branch points built by a programmer and not something “real”

• WhatKateDoes says:

Exactly This. For me its part of the immersive wonder of the experience. Making those decisions, seeing the outcome, and repercussions of those decisions. In most cases I’ll watch other people’s play on youtube to see how it might have gone, and in very rare cases, go back a few saves to change an outcome (or try to) – it took me three attempts to get a non completely-sad faced outcome to the Geth/Quarian thing…

..and for me – whilst I admit I enjoyed Leviathan because of the implied bigness of the story (which ofcourse ultimately makes not a jot of difference in the endgame) – I feel the story is now over.. and I dont have a real interest in inserted flashbacks.

• ElvisMZ says:

Good point, I hadn’t thought of that.

• MattM says:

I think that when reading the forums you can get a skewed sense of the percentage of players who go through the whole campaign more than once. The biggest fans post the most and are the most likely to replay the game. When I look at achievement stats for RPGS on steam I find that the percent of players who complete the game once is usually much higher than the percent who do so twice. I personally don’t like replaying a 50+ hour dialogue heavy game and really like to see most of the content in a single play-through.
          The bioware DLCs can be quality but I think RPGS just work better as unified projects. Firing up a dusty 6 month old character and going back in the games plot feels weird . I wish they would stick to making whole games.

• TCM says:

They do make a whole game, and then make some extra stuff for people who feel like replaying or revisiting that whole game.

• MattM says:

But a lot of the dlcs are uncompleted story threads from the main game. The witch hunt from dragon age, the shadow broker from ME2. Also I am not saying the DLCs retroactively ruin the original game, just that they dont work well as small chapters in a story you have left behind. I feel like you are arguing that since people don’t have to buy them then they should be above all criticism or review.

• Kestilla says:

Don’t forget the figures released recently stating nearly half of all Mass Effect players don’t even finish the game once, let alone twice. I’ve played all the games twice, the first two a second time to get ready for the third, and the third three times because I recorded a Let’s Play and then I installed the Leviathan DLC, which let me state right now:

The reason this Omega DLC is a big downer to me is because Leviathan completely integrated into the story, it was referenced all throughout, it was one hell of a great piece of DLC, and was even relevant to the end of the game. Omega? I’m going to have to replay this game AGAIN to see all its content? It’s like getting the From Ashes DLC after you’ve finished the game and doing the Prothean mission. And then having the Prothean on your ship but you have to play it over again to get him to interact with you and the rest of your crew.

And he does. He becomes an integral part of the game, and I see Omega being a big rip for that too. The end game screen says play more DLC. Why should I? Why do I need War Assets now that it’s all over? I’m interested in what happens, but I feel like I’m being left out if I don’t do it all again.

• Nick says:

according to their own stat tracking the majority do no such thing.

• Arehandoro says:

That happened to me with ME2 & 3 although not with the first game. I could play it thousand times more and still finding that magic that Bioware used to put in their games. ME wasn’t a perfect game but was a perfect product.

And there is more, when you put, in a game like ME, a story based in the extermination of the galaxy by a superior power, disaster or whatever, once finished the main story/games you shouldn’t make more games in that universe. That makes lose all the coherency. At least for me, though.

P.S: Probably I couldn’t communicate correctly what I wanted to say for my english, sorry if is like that.

• Kestilla says:

It seems like you said Bioware shouldn’t make any more Mass Effect titles to avoid ruining the continuity of the story. But first of all, while I agree ended story threads should probably stay closed, 1.) Bioware is in the business of making money, and Mass Effect is one of the most original Science Fiction IP’s around that isn’t Star Trek or Star Wars, and is instead something entirely it’s own (and Bioware’s own) meaning it will inevitably have sequels or new titles, and 2.)

Except for one ending choice, the game endings were rubbish and utterly unbelievable/ridiculous. Therefore I call rubbish on the entire ending and say there’s room for more titles in the future.

Not only that, but colliding with the idea Bioware will inevitably want to make more Mass Effect games, some of the endings of Mass Effect 3 completely destroyed the Mass Effect universe as it stood, burning every scrap of lore the story writers spent so long crafting in a single moment, and are impossible to continue on from in any meaningful way. *That’s* why people were upset, not about the fate of any particular character in general, but because it *ruined* Mass Effect, and it looked like there wouldn’t be another game. Mass Effect 4 will be made, and all that stuff EA said about ME3 being the end was obviously wrong/intentionally misleading. They just didn’t expect the backlash they got for it.

It was one hell of a cliffhanger though, you have to admit. I said before, movies and books do this kind of thing all the time, but this game caused such a stir I doubt any designer will try it again anytime soon.

• Arehandoro says:

Yeah, that is what I wanted to say. You’re right saying that they are here to make money, I never thought the opposite, but there are too many ways of making money around one saga or universe.

When they are making the game, they should plan before the universe and the consistence within it. For games of that size in all levels, for me, is one of the most important things to recreate a real world, to believe that I’m playing in a “real world” with its history, stories, legends and everything. It’s also important for every game, book or film but the better you wanna describe the world the actions sets the most coherent the universe should be.

Well, maybe saying “Not more ME games” is pretty extremist but at least accomodate them into the universe’s franchise. Not appearing Shepard would be the main requirement, and sounds like an utopy though.

• arboreal says:

This has made me think. I can’t recall playing a narratively-driven game through more than once. I know that when I’m enjoying a game I will often say to myself ‘I’m going to play this game again but do this, this and this’. But I don’t. I get a couple of hours into my second play and realise that the novelty and sense of discovery just isn’t there.

The odd thing is that I just can’t get rid of any of my games. I’ve got Spectrum cassettes in my loft. Hmm.

• MattM says:

Same here, I loved DAO and how your origin story affected so much in the game, but when I started a 2nd playthrough it was like nails on a chalkboard every time I heard a line repeated. I think I need at least a year before a replay for the memories to fade a bit and I always have a backlog of other games I can playthough for a 1st time.
          In general, if a game is over 20 hours I want to be able to experience most or all of the content in a single playthough. Variations in dialogue and outcomes are fine (nice even), but I don’t want to miss out on a series of quests or a locked away area. The completionist bug is strong in me.

• Masked Dave says:

Then don’t buy it and you don’t have a problem. But its there for those who do want to experience some more Command Shepard adventures. And the game automatically winds you back before you go back to Earth to squeeze in these extra adventures.

6. Megakoresh says:

Honestly I don’t want to come back to ME3 Single player. It killed everything that was good about the Trilogy and was such a disappointment that no DLC, no matter how good, will make me want to come back, let alone enjoy it.

BioWare’s screws are knocked loose quite a bit with it’s not-up-to-standard DA2 and later just horrible and bad Mass Effect 3. The days of me buying their DLC is over. At least until they release a great game once more.

Honestly I am not buying any EA games except for the ones on sale and, as far as I am concerned, anyone who realises how much EA has screwed with our favourite studios and us, should do the same. Why would you pay 10Euros for this package anyway, if you know BioWare aren’t getting the slightest cut from it?

• DarkFenix says:

Being perfectly honest, ME3 was on the whole a great game. But at the same time I agree with you in the sense that ME3 left such a bad taste in my mouth I have zero desire to ever touch it, its DLC or anything Bioware produce again.

• Megakoresh says:

Thing is that Mass Effect 3 may have been a great standalone game. But it is an awful ME game. And it killed the ENTIRE trilogy. Because what was good about Mass Effect?
        -Characters – the only really new character (not counting talking meat or “democracy paste-ins”) was a day one DLC character (!!!)
        - Character development – completely absent in ME3
        - Dialogues – very little mostly autodialogues and even those are very rare
        - Little discoverable storylines in form of side mission – absent in ME3
        - Great feel of accomplishment since your decisions and efforts always felt worth something – don’t need to comment on that.

The only thing ME3 has from the older games are some characters (that apparently no longer like to talk) and production quality (not the same as PC port quality, mind you).

• malkav11 says:

The whole point of ME3 was to wrap up the trilogy. I know when I’m concluding a trilogy, I really want to spend all my time with brand new characters instead of reconnecting with old friends. Screw Liara and Tali and Mordin and Wrex and Garrus and all those other favorite stalwarts. Bring on some random guys I’ve no time to get to know!

I don’t agree with your other complaints, but I agree that they would indeed be significant issues if I believed them to be true. I just did not find that to be the case. Complaining about there not being enough new characters, on the other hand, is just plain batty.

Well, I suppose the ending I received did kind of negate any feeling of accomplishment. But the rest of the game was still excellent.

• TsunamiWombat says:

But they didn’t really let us spend time with old characters, either. They gave us Liara and Garrus (who were awesome), the Virmire Survivor nobody cared about, and they DIDN’T let us spend alot of time with fan favorites Mordin, Wrex, and Thane, because potato. Then they gave us sexy cyborg EDI, Freddy Prince Beefcake (I actually liked his character, but found him somewhat pointless also what were they thinking not having a romance option what was the point of that guy otherwise), and Prothy the DLC Prothean (Javik was a great character btw).

Mostly i’m butthurt we didn’t get Wrex and Mordin back in our squads frankly. Or Jack or Thane or Samara (someone must’ve liked her)

• TCM says:

The squad already has two characters that you can miss out on entirely in case of Death [Three, if you count the Virmire sacrifice]. Adding two, or god save us, four more to that list would make the number of variables for dialogue to make ANY SENSE AT ALL far too staggering to even comprehend.

• TsunamiWombat says:

It didn’t help that ME3 had half the development time as ME1 or ME2.

• malkav11 says:

Well, yeah, I would have liked to get Wrex or Mordin (or any ME2 character, honestly) back as squadmates, but it makes some sense from a game-fictional perspective that not everyone’s going to be able to just drop everything and run off with you on your crew. And from a design standpoint, minimizing relying on the presence in your squad of people who could easily be dead based on the events of ME2 was probably important. I still feel like the time ME3 did spend with Wrex and Mordin was enormously satisfying and well done. They even made me care about Thane and (to a lesser degree) Jack, which I didn’t particularly in 2.

• patstew says:

What was particularly wrong with ME3? Gameplay-wise it was practically identical to 2, and story wise it was as good as the other two for the most part, in my opinion. The ending was slightly unsatisfying, especially in terms of being affected by previous decisions and tying up loose ends. However, I think most of the criticism of the ending was down to people taking everything the character at the end said as gospel, rather than considering that the character might be intentionally flawed. Sadly, I bet the lesson Bioware took from that episode is that they need to spell everything out explicitly, despite the constant requests for more mature storytelling from them.

• LintMan says:

The “intentionally flawed” theory might work — if they gave the player a chance to react, respond and address those flaws. But instead we’re just presented with Casper’s aggressively stupid motivations and forced to choose, without any chance to rebut or debate the motivations or to offer any better solutions.

My Shepard spent 3 games building friendly relations between AI and biological life, to the point of having the Geth and Quarians at peace and both fighting on his side( in addition to EDI, an unchained AI). And he doesn’t get to even point out at all that perhaps AI and biological life need not destroy each other, as he had just proven? Instead Shepard basically says “ok” and meekly picks one of the offered choices. The same Shepard that constantly bucked authority and dragged the galaxy by its nose into preparing for and fighting the Reapers.

There’s plenty of other problems at the end, such as “Why did the Geth and EDI have to die in the red solution?” By Casper’s own premise, biological life inevitably creates AIs which will inevitably destroy the biological life. So how does just eliminating the Reapers, Geth and EDI change those assumptions? Red choice seems like “you’re on your own from now on”, but if that’s the case, why can’t they leave the Geth and EDI be since equivalents will eventually crop up anyway?

Or “Why do the Reapers need do their murdering thing on a set schedule? Couldn’t they just leave everyone be and then only step in if and when an AI/biological war was ACTUALLY threatening all life?”

Or “Why does Shepard have to die if the red choice was picked?” Couldn’t Shepard just say what he wanted and have Casper make it happen without needing to shoot anything?

The answer to all of these seems to sadly be “because the writers wanted it that way to force the poignant ending they wanted, but couldn’t be bothered to actually justify it in the writing.”

• TsunamiWombat says:

Heh. “Poignant”.

• Kestilla says:

“Instead Shepard basically says “ok” and meekly picks one of the offered choices. The same Shepard that constantly bucked authority and dragged the galaxy by its nose into preparing for and fighting the Reapers.”

There are scenes in the game where Shepard is depressed. This fits into some of the internet theories out there, but I was still saying the hell you are, Shepard. You crew doesn’t need to pump you up and inspire you, you inspire them just by walking into a room. You are Commander Shepard, what is wrong with you!

Many times it just bothered me how weak Shepard was in this game. It didn’t make sense. Even if Shepard is being tricked, it doesn’t make sense for the Shepard character to act weak despite the desires of the player to make him/her keep it together. Control = wrested from the player. It felt wrong.

“Why does Shepard have to die if the red choice was picked?”

Clearly it wasn’t the choice that killed Shepard, it was the fact Shepard had to stand a foot away from the big red explosive device to shoot it with a pistol!

• JackShandy says:

I don’t know if making Shepard weak is really a problem, but ME3 definitely took her personality out of the player’s hands. When you boot up the game Shepard’s made friends with some stranger without you.. “I want to go back to earth!” he whines, and Shepard is forced to say “NO. We’ve been through too much together, stranger.”

• Kestilla says:

You said slightly disappointing, and more mature.

There was nothing mature about an ending to a game that turns everyone green and basically says, “And Everyone Lived Happily Ever After.” Seriously, what the hell was the First Contact War fought for? The Skyillian Blitz? These events helped define each of the races involved, the entire galaxy.

And one choice of ending tells us everyone becomes homogenized and never fights with each other again. Shepard WINS! GOOD JOB SHEPARD! All hail! Shepard, you killed the Mass Effect franchise and anything that made it interesting. It didn’t even make sense. All this work you did to save the galaxy and you ended up killing it. No more mercenaries, no more anything. Turians are the same as Krogans are the same as Salarians, why don’t you all come in for a hug. That’s better.

And then the control scenario. Nobody better invade the galaxy and everyone inside better behave or Shepard’s Reaper army is going to destroy them, also eternally ending conflict. Such dumb endings, and far below what Mass Effect deserved. With no confirmation from Bioware on their validity, I will still choose to believe they were intentionally bullshit and it’s all a clever marketing/fan investment scheme gone awry. It is clever, and if it had worked there’s nothing more powerful than that ending. Bullshit as it may be, it was deeply moving, and the fan reaction to that, with anger and depression, is evidence that Mass Effect succeeded on a deeply emotional level.

Bioware’s silence on the matter did them in, really. Don’t tell me the Bioware Doctors left the company because the fans got upset. Don’t blame the people paying you money to make your games and look in the mirror instead.

• Grygus says:

The ending of XCOM: Enemy Unknown shows exactly where the ending of Mass Effect 3 went wrong. There is a right way to do what BioWare wanted to do; they just didn’t do that.

7. Risingson says:

Won’t reinstall, won’t purchase, won’t play. I left Mass Effect 3 exhausted enough to play it again.

8. celozzip says:

another piece of dlc proving they should’ve extended game development time and released it this christmas with leviathan, omega and a decent ending included from the start. didn’t get the last one, won’t get this one, think i might uninstall actually, save me 11gb.

• Allenomura says:

I’m delighted that they’ve chosen this subject to cover, as the Aria character is amongst my favourite in the series, the Omega location such a buzzing hive ripe with possibility and culture of the game universe…BUT, it would take a will wrestling match to reinstall that thing. I don’t know that I even want to play it. I haven’t touched the alternate ending stuff (although, I was grateful that Bioware tried to address the matter of an original end to their saga that failed to make the grade.), nor any of the multiplayer.

It doesn’t usually work out so well when I say “maybe” to a game, but it being Omega, I…just don’t know.

9. Ny24 says:

So basically, if there is a new Multiplayer-DLC out, people are complaining that Bioware should focus on the singleplayer part of the game and if there is a Singleplayer-DLC out, they complain that they don’t want to play it again. I can understand every single comment, but it is hilarious nonetheless. I have player ME3 on the Xbox and I will wait for a triology for my good PC with all the DLCs and then play all three games again with new content. And I’m looking forward to it. :)

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Bioware releases MP DLC? Heresy! Exterminate!
      Bioware announces singleplayer DLC? Wah wah, I hatez them for no reason whatsoever! Sniffle sniffle!

For fuck`s sakes people, not liking ten minutes of a game out of fifteen hours of excellent storytelling is not an excuse to behave like this. They are supporting the community, expanding the universe`s already deep lore, and you lot are complaining because in your minds artists don`t qualify as human beings, and as such should not be paid for their work, nor given the slightest bit of appreciation. Oh, and let`s not even get into people picking flaws that the previous 2 games already had, simply because they must find something else to hate about it.

This is quickly becoming utterly sickening, the sheer amount of bile spewed at BW because they dare be human beings.

• phylum sinter says:

Yeah, they’ve gotten kind of a bad rap over the handling. To the complainers defense though, the concept of choice and readiness was played so well into the design of the game that it was quite disheartening when it finally comes to the end, like an upside down pyramid of choices reduced to the worst possible outcome in a lot of players eyes. I think the sentiment was clear in the beginning: why didn’t what we fought for, struggled with for the whole game matter more? They did what they could to correct it, but ultimately when any franchise gets very popular for its’ story, it begins to mold expectations and must not deviate too far from them or face this very type of backlash.

At this point though, to continue to brush them over the coals – after so much service to make the game complete and continue to support it is definitely overkill.

So yeah, leave Bioware alone and whatnot.

• Phantoon says:

Unfair. I thought all of it was stupid- that’s why I stopped at the second game. Because the second game was bad enough.

Being right about the third one having a terrible ending was icing on the cake.

• malkav11 says:

My basic feeling is that I needed the singleplayer DLC back when I was actually playing ME3, and the multiplayer DLC now, when I could theoretically be convinced to play some(/more) of the coop. I get that I could just load up my end save and dive into Leviathan or (when released) Omega, but unlike ME2, the ME3 ending(s) are pretty final and that feels narratively wrong unless I were to go into them on a completely different playthrough. Which I may yet do, but not anytime soon.

• eclipse mattaru says:

Kind of in the same situation here. I loved ME3 to bits -original ending and all- and I had a blast with the MP during the early challenges; but I’ve long since stopped playing, and right now, interested though I am in these SP DLCs, at best they’ll have to stand in line behind Dark Souls, Dishonored, XCOM and I Am Alive; and the first three I expect to be playing for a *long* time.

10. NathaI3 says:

I don’t want any more Mass Effect 3. My team is stranded on some planet somewhere and Shephard may or may not be dead. This type of DLC really doesn’t work for what is supposed to be the “concluding chapter” of the story.

• Ernesto25 says:

This i just want to get ME3 out of my system and stop remembering the ending.

• Kestilla says:

Whereas ME2 DLC actually led up to the beginning of ME3. That’s an issue though because I began ME3 and was like, wait, how did I get here? What is this? How did-

Because I hadn’t bought Arrival.

11. jealouspirate says:

I’ve never purchased any Mass Effect DLC from the trilogy. Just never got the appeal I guess. The end of the game always had this nice “You saved the world!” conclusion, so this kind of stuff just seems irrelevant. Particularly ME3′s ending does not lend itself well to DLC.

12. phylum sinter says:

What i really want, when it comes to ME3, is a DLC where you play as someone completely different. Like a mercenary, or a different character – maybe someone from one of the council species. I think that would be much more interesting than slotting in what feels ultimately like ancillary adventures for all the people that feel they’ve finished shepard’s story as it is. I guess i kind of count myself among them, but did buy Leviathan and was a little disappointed by the overall length. I suppose what was there was quite breathtaking in spots. If Bioware wants me to pay $15 for a DLC, i’m going to expect a good 4-5 hours of content. As i type that, it feels like an unreasonable expectation though.

Also: where is the line, monetarily, between DLC and Expansion Pack?

• Allenomura says:

I would be MUCH more enthusiastic about a DLC, or further in which you weren’t playing as Shepard. Original gameplay set in the universe I could definitely get behind, This isn’t borne of anything other than tiring of the character. He’s just a template, now with baggage, and has nothing, no place in the game that I didn’t dial in, in the questionnaire with which the games start.

It’s become an “everything with chips” situation, and I’d sooner see Bioware freed from that particular bind. I would like to see them continue the property, though. If only they could make the player of the game world for a change, not encumbered fixer of it. In the moment, pad in hand, it’s fun. I would like something different now, though.

• Kestilla says:

Interestingly, I think Shepard was still a blank slate up until ME3. Shepard only does your bidding, it’s when in the third game they started having Shepard respond to events and situations in ways you couldn’t control or may have disagreed with that the character became something outside of the player, and that’s problematic for the entire Shepard ideology.

Also, monetarily, in Mass Effect 3′s case, an expansion pack is something Bioware used to put out and DLC are parts of the game removed during development sold back to you post release (Day One Prothean w/ fully voiced interactions with non-DLC crewmembers, N7 Collector’s Edition, Omega & Aria, Leviathan).

I enjoyed Leviathan by the way, and I think I’ll enjoy Omega too. It’s just unfortunate the game lacked true sidequests, and it took Leviathan to add *one* back into the game.

• Burning Man says:

They did exactly this with Leliana’s Song. The feedback they got was that players would much rather play the Warden, THEIR Warden. So they stopped doing it.

13. Rao Dao Zao says:

It contains a female Turian? Not sure if that’s worth £15 or not…

14. fitzroy_doll says:

Excellent. I’m looking forward to playing both this and Leviathan in one re-extended extended cut.

15. Vinraith says:

I’m glad to see ME3 getting some more SP DLC. It’s always nice to have some genuinely new material to pepper throughout a replay of one of these games. I still find all the ME3 hate baffling.

• DarkFenix says:

It’s more a case of the end of the game (which very few people actually try to defend) leaving such a bad taste in most people’s mouths, this then spills over into your typical Internet rage where people will be determined to hate anything and everything Bioware touch. /Shrug, it’s the Internet after all.

• Vinraith says:

There’s nothing about the ending of Mass Effect 3 that remotely warrants the outrage it seems to generate.

• Kestilla says:

Actually yes there is. It’s not a game ending, it’s an entire universe. And the ending was a nonsensical, poorly-explained kick in the balls and a terrible ending to one of gaming’s few truly epic storylines.

The outrage comes from the emotional investment Bioware spent so much time instilling in their fanbase, and flaming up with all their PR over Mass Effect 3. It backfired, and they got it back in their faces. People love Mass Effect, as do I, and the only word I could think of when I finished ME3 was “retcon.” I don’t care if Mass Effect comes to an end, or if the ending isn’t lollipops and roses. I’m a sucker for a good, gritty, dark ending, but the only response I could come up with was what the hell was that?

It wasn’t just denial, it was “You guys better have a better explanation that this shit.” It felt like I wasted my time replaying the first to games in the series to get treated to that crap, and I went in completely optimistic and disbelieving of my friends who said how disappointing it was. It turned out I was angrier than anyone else. What a shit ending.

Instead of denying there’s something to the discontent over the game’s ending, you might try and feel out just why people are upset. Unless you didn’t have much of an investment in the game, which you surely couldn’t have, and can’t understand anyway. But Bioware does. Bioware just doesn’t want to admit they messed up, and I think EA has more than the lion’s share in this, given the substantial amount of repeatable bugs and other issues I’ve experienced on each of my three playthroughs, the kind of which I never experienced in ME2 and never expected to see in ME3, since the series had already proven itself to be of stellar quality.

• Grygus says:

So Sam and Frodo make it to Mount Doom and then Tom Bombadil materializes, kicks them both in the nuts, takes the ring, makes everything okay with a single goofy rhyme, and disappears. Story over. Would this not rate any outrage? Because it still makes more sense than introducing a completely new character who turns the huge galaxy-threatening antagonist into an alarm clock and railroads a largely player-driven experience into a nonsensical grab-bag of stupidity.

• Zenicetus says:

Don’t lump all the negative reactions together as “outrage.” For some of us, it was just a massive disappointment to see a lazy, tacked-on ending, where once again (after the example set in Dragon Age 2), the player’s actions basically had zero impact on the ending of the story.

The “enhanced” ending was even worse. It made me actually regret the ending option I selected for my Shepard, because he become some kind of God figure “guiding” the future of the Universe, which would be something my personal ethos would immediately rebel against. Again, no outrage here, just disappointment to see such lazy writing and lack of imagination.

• Vinraith says:

It seems to me the entirety of ME3 is a series of endings, and I thought most of them were quite well handled and responsive. The “ending” which seems to bother people specifically is the conclusion of the reaper plotline (I don’t see much complaint about the genophage plot endings, nor the quarian/geth endings, and honestly I found the latter far more problematic than the reaper plot ending). I’m unclear on how that ending is a disappointment, since it was always going to be fairly straightforward. No matter what your other character choices, there was never going to be a “side with the reapers” ending, because no version of Shepard is pro-reaper. With respect to this particular plotline (unlike the others), all Shepards are basically going to make the same set of decisions in most respects. Honestly, I was surprised there were as many options as there were, and felt several of them were flatly idiotic.

It seems to me people are far too fixated on that final set of cinematics, when it’s the conclusions of each of the story threads of the ME universe, spread throughout the game, that are what’s important.

• Zenicetus says:

I agree that some of the sub-plot endings were problematical, especially the Quarian/Geth live-together-in-harmony one. But at least it made sense, and involved established characters where you understood the plot trajectory from beginning to end.

The sudden reveal of the Star Child in the main storyline — with absolutely no foreshadowing — was on a whole different level, I think. It’s the kind of ending that gets people failed out of creative writing classes, when they try to pull a rabbit out of a hat to wrap up plot threads.

Bioware couldn’t do much foreshadowing of this particular ending because they probably weren’t sure it would go a full three episodes at the start. But there could have been many other ways to handle it without the Star Child cheapness. I think that’s what a lot of the fan outrage was aimed at…. the sudden rabbit out of a hat, that felt so different from all the other interesting plot lines.

• Vinraith says:

Call it “star child” or whatever you like, it’s hardly a surprise that there’s a broken central AI guiding the reapers. I don’t really know why the concept bothers people so much.I also don’t see why it particularly matters. You spend all game building a whatchamajig to kill the reapers with, then you use it to kill them. How else was it going to end?

16. Stormkiller72 says:

Loved the first game, loved the second game (a little less), still havent, and wont ever buy the third game. Mostly due to the ‘already on the disk’ dlc and subsequent money grubbing, along with the horrid ending.

Just me, making a personal stand again this sort of thing.

I think the closest thing I can think this is like is, lets say, you buy a TV for £1000, its channel button is blocked, but its done in such a way that you dont or cant notice. you get it home then get a phonecall from the tv company saying ‘oh, that tv you just bought? we have a channel button unlocker for you, but you need to pay £250 for an engineer to come out and install it for you, but it cant be done for 6 months.’
    The button was always there, the tv can still be used with the remote control, but if you want the ‘full’ tv experience, you need to unlock it.

Just my own musings :)

• TCM says:

The game has been no more money grubbing than ME1 or 2 — the singleplayer DLC has had identical costs to the biggest bits of DLC from those games, the extended cut was free, and all the multiplayer DLC has been free. As for on-disk DLC, I can’t recall hearing about that for ME3 — there were some assets relating to the new DLCs, I recall, but nothing COMPLETE AND READY TO JUST BE SLOTTED INTO THE GAME. And yes, I am including Javik in that list.

Essentially, what I am getting from you is that you have been spoon fed your opinions by people who did not like the game, instead of just playing it and forming them yourself. Maybe you ought to drop 30 bucks for a solid 15-30 hours of entertainment, even if you are one of the people who doesn’t like 10 minutes at the end.

[As for my own opinion: I really enjoyed the game, did not like or hate the ending initially, liked the closure provided by the extended cut ending, thought multiplayer with a couple of friends was fun just for having a chance to play aliens in the ME universe, thought Leviathan was one of the best pieces of DLC Bioware has produced.]

• TsunamiWombat says:

I’ll be the first to acknowledge ME3 is less moneygrabbing than the past games, with it’s spate of free Multiplayer DLC (to be fair, this drives the microtransactions)

• Grygus says:

I can help you. Definitely get Mass Effect 3. Import your ME2 Shepard, play, and have a great time. There will come a moment when the screen goes white; you’ll know it when you get to it.

Hit Alt-F4 at that moment. That’s the end.

Voila, you have played the best of the Mass Effect games.

• Zenicetus says:

This. It’s the perfect ending, and the rest of the game is enjoyable right up to that point.

If you’ve seen Spielberg’s movie “A.I.”, it’s exactly like stopping the movie right at the point where the robot kid and teddy bear finally meet the Blue Fairy, and skipping the silly sugar-coated bit that’s tacked on after that.

welverin says:

I have to agree with TCM, you simply don’t know what you’re talking about.

The From Ashes dlc while in a sense was cut from the game, it was done so because they didn’t have time and only parts of it were on disk as was said. Furthermore, it was initially just a collector’s edition bonus that was later announced to be dlc for purchasable by others.

The only other paid dlc was Leviathan which, as again was already mention, right in line with the length and price of all of Bioware’s other dlc for the ME and DA series. SO if you were o.k. with those, there’s no basis to call ME3 a money grubbing exercise.

This stand you’ve taken is misguided, so if you loved the first two games the way you say you did, do yourself a favor stop hurting yourself and play the game. Do what Grygus said to avoid the ‘bad’ ending .

17. TsunamiWombat says:

Too expensive, and I uninstalled ME3 after Multiplayer became a bore. Moreover, I found I couldn’t go back into Singleplayer because of THAT GODAWEFUL ENDING.

I’d like to qualify that this is a shame because until then ME3 was a spectacular game, and with all the free DLC Bioware has been pumping out since release I should be fellating them, and yet I can only taste sour grapes (no pun)

• TCM says:

Did you give the extended cut a try? It cleared up a lot of my negatives about the ending — it won’t solve all the problems everyone has, but it fixed my big issue (Closure for characters).

• TsunamiWombat says:

Couldn’t be assed, youtubed it. Didn’t resolved my central issues unfortunately, because I found the ending unacceptable as a whole.

Moreover, i’m still somewhat butthurt from the whole “fan outcry” controversy during that month long period between release and EC and the way Bioware treated its fans and the situation.

18. Tritagonist says:

I don’t understand this kind of DLC for this particular game. It smells of ‘unfinished-when-forced-to-release’ content. Content like this as a DLC made sense for ME1 and ME2 Shepard, even post-finale, where it was perfectly viable for Shepard to have additional adventures. But here? For this game it would have been interesting to explore some non-Shepard storylines. Something they already did with Dragon Age Origins, where the protagonist of the DLC wasn’t always the Grey Warden. Heck, they even had a DLC in which you played as the enemy faction, the Darkspawn!

And for €15? No thanks.

19. dethtoll says:

Omega? I’m sold.

20. Bob says:

A chance for some extended “playtime” with Aria….SOLD!!

21. Burning Man says:

Lambasting a rather brilliant game over a shite ending is hardly fair to me. But w/e floats your boat.