Diablo III’s ‘Monster Power’ Makes Old Zones Hard Again

By Nathan Grayson on October 13th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

The truest monster power of all is love.

All in all, I’m pretty happy not being The Devil Himself. It’s a sentiment that’s followed me through each day – from dusk ’til dawn – for quite some time, but Diablo III gave me renewed appreciation for my frail, non-red flesh and lack of dominion over the most miserable location ever conceived. I mean, it’s bad enough having every righteous hero’s target on your back, but when they start Paragon leveling and optimizing builds, well, why even get out of your bed assembled from the twisted, eternally weeping faces of ten thousand racists who constantly insist they aren’t racist? Blizzard, though, is hoping to put some challenge back into not only the Big Bad himself, but every single zone in its exceedingly beaten and battered hack ‘n’ slash.

Patch 1.0.5 will bring with it a feature called “Monster Power.” In short, it allows you to tailor the difficulty you encounter in every zone to your own specifications – regardless of what level you are. Want to settle down and open up a little kill farm in dreary ol’ Tristram? Well, go right ahead. Blizzard explained:

“Similar to the ‘Players X’ command in Diablo II, Monster Power gives Diablo III players the option to increase the health and damage of monsters according to different ‘power levels’ – and in return, they’ll receive scaling bonuses to their adventure stats (including experience, Magic Find, and Gold Find) as well as more drops.”

“In Inferno at Monster Power 1 or greater, monsters in every Act will also be bumped up to level 63 and share the same high-end item drop rates. This means that no matter which act you’re progressing through, the monsters in that act will all have the same shot at dropping items level 61-63, including crafting recipes, Legendary items, and set items.”

Monster Power’s broken up into a total of ten tiers, ranging from MP1′s slight health and damage boost to MP10′s increase of  371 percent more damage and 3439 percent more health. Obviously, Blizzard’s prioritizing health way over damage, and there’s a very good reason for that: gearing up to maximize damage is fun. Questing tirelessly to turn yourself into the world’s damage spongiest punching bag isn’t.

So, all told, it’s yet another interesting solution to a long-running problem that’s resulted from the muddled mess of expectations both fans and Blizzard have heaped atop Diablo III. “It’s totally not an MMO, but we want it to last as long as one and have an endgame and continually churn out new content,” etc. Between Paragon leveling and this, though, Blizzard’s at least done an impressive job of creating longevity without rushing some form of expansion out the door.

And yet, it is a bit disheartening to see a total lack of new locations or even some quick, episodic DLC to tide people over until the inevitable expansion. Also, I hate to beat a dead horse, but doesn’t it sure seem like modders could be lifting some serious weight off Blizzard’s shoulders right now? Oh well, though. Given that we now live in a world where Torchlight II exists, I’m pretty sure humanity will sooner run out of air than things to hack and slash and loot and pinata.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. SonicTitan says:

Will I boot up D3 to give this a spin? Yep.
    Is Mr. Grayson correct in stating that lack of modding support hurts the longevity of a game like this? Also yep.

2. malkav11 says:

Hmm. So possibly a solution to people’s complaints that they have to get through one or more overly easy playthroughs before getting any real challenge? That’s nice, I suppose.

• mouton says:

Too little, too late. At least from my perspective, I understand some people might rejoice.

It is nice to see, though, that they actually introduced something akin to actual custom difficulty level – one might hope it heralds the final death of the old idiotic normal-nightmare-hell sequence.

• Caiman says:

This is exactly why I didn’t buy D3 yet. Apart from suspecting the always online thing would be a giant cluster, reading about the imposed easy difficulty meant I would only ever buy this if it got patched out, modded, or something like this added in. This is why I’m playing X-Com on my first playthroughs at Classic. Once I beat a game I tend to lose interest in replaying it, so having a serious challenge is exactly what I’m looking for.

• Machinations says:

Damn that monster free move on sight is annoying though; as is the drop-in overwatch thin men on VIP missions. That said, it’s fun, but the quirks (like LOS, I have some hilarious screenshots in Steam) are detracting. Same with the forced mission progression and the linearity.

The biggest problem is the pacing; you go from the base, straight to a fast UFO; you shoot it down and will likely meet 4 new enemy types in that mission; these should have been gradually introduced.

Unfortunately, while fun, XCOM shows Firaxis has lost their mojo – if Civ V didn’t already. It started with the 2k acquisition, 2k being a bunch of suits akin to EA and focused on bleeding existing IP dry.

Anything in the future, even the Holy Grail of 4x gamers (Alpha Centauri 2) will be looked at with deep suspicion from me.

• smeaa mario says:

I could write paragraph after paragraph dear Caiman, yet I have only one thing to tell you: You were a wise man and you should keep it that way.

• BluElement says:

Don’t listen to the haters. It’s not a bad game. Sure, the “always online” isn’t for everyone. It personally doesn’t bother me. They’ve gone to great lengths in the last couple patches to make the game a lot better, though. And most people went into it saying, “I don’t want it to be just an upgraded D2″ and then they found out that it’s exactly what they wanted and decided all they actually wanted was to keep playing D2.

It’s not D2.

• BluElement says:

Except they always had this in D2, as well. You just needed to know how to set it.

3. Borborygme says:

I gotta say that intro was pretty funny :D

4. Vorphalack says:

”Also, I hate to beat a dead horse, but doesn’t it sure seem like modders could be lifting some serious weight off Blizzard’s shoulders right now?”

While we mourn the death of that questioning horse, we must also remember that modders and real money auction houses are incompatible. There is simply no environment where they can co-exist within the same game.

What’s that? ”Single player”? Never heard of it.

• hello_mr.Trout says:

hi
      just curious, would you be able to elaborate on why modding & auction housing cannot coexist in peace and harmony together? maybe due to the modded content undervaluing auction house stuff? or is it more complex than this?

• Xocrates says:

It’s actually simpler: Everything the auction house offers (and more) could be attained for free through mods.

It’s less “undervaluing” and more “shooting it in the head”.

• MadTinkerer says:

True story: my brother was hosting a Torchlight 2 game, with one guest: me. Then, just to see what would happen, he quit Torchlight right after jumping through a waygate.

At first I didn’t realize he quit (because he quit on a different map, so I didn’t see his character disappear), but I did think it was odd that some of the monsters and loot chests had been reset for no apparent reason. Then he mentioned he quit and asked me what happened. We realized that when a host quits TL2 (Or if the internet goes down, or etc. etc.) the game seamlessly goes to offline singleplayer without interrupting anything.

And that’s why I’ll never buy Diablo III.

• PleasingFungus says:

Uh. The Diablo III experience in that scenario is actually exactly identical… except that the game will tell you that your friend disconnected.

There are plenty of valid complaints about Diablo III’s online-on business model (I’m not fond of it myself!), but you chose probably the literal worst argument against it.

• Xocrates says:

Key word: Offline

• PleasingFungus says:

But he had an online connection to play with his brother anyway, so…?

I mean, there are scenarios like that one that would be a good argument against Diablo III’s model, but the one he described was a scenario in which Diablo III comes off just as well if not better. (It doesn’t even reset treasure chests! Point to Diablo III?)

• Xocrates says:

The point about losing connection to the host translates to losing connection to the server for whatever reason.

As far as I’m aware, Diablo III “hosts” are merely the creators of the game, but the game itself will run in one of Blizz’s servers. The equivalent action in Diablo 3 would be for the server itself to shut down.

TL2 will treat the loss of server connection as a transfer to an offline single player game (either because the host disconnect, or because your connection dropped).

Setting aside the case of connection loss (which is an issue for D3), what will D3 do if you lose connection to the server running the game?

• Miltrivd says:

Not entirely sure it goes offline, except when with 1 person it is in practice. See, if you are playing with 3 people and the hosts leave, the 2 people that joined that game keep playing, but it seems the game is not visible anymore in the Server browser. So it just makes a seamless host switch to any of the players still in game, that way the game doesn’t crash or drop you in the middle of anything and the remaining players can keep going.

• MadTinkerer says:

“But he had an online connection to play with his brother anyway, so…?”

Nope. It was a LAN CONNECTION! Though we did try internet as well, the connection in question was very much local and not internet-based.

If the entire internet (or maybe just our connection) somehow went down tomorrow, I could still play multiplayer Torchlight 2. (Or multiplayer Diablo 2 for that matter.)

But I could NOT even play singleplayer Diablo III. Which is why D3 is worthless to me.

• Machinations says:

My favortie part is when you lag when playing single player.

This is innovation! This is progress! Science ruins the ebil cheater and duper.

Then you realize it had nothing to do with cheaters and everything to do with control, and keeping loot spawns down to get you on that RMAH.

Too bad the game simply isn’t fun – even on a single play through the constant cheesy irritating childish dialog that plays like a 4 year old wrote it grates to the point you will jab pencils in your ears, that is if the obnoxiously easy forced first playthrough difficulty does not put you to sleep first.

• Machinations says:

I know which I consider valuable. Hmm..mods or pay 2 win. So hard a choice.

Funny how Blizzard hasn’t learned shit from Valve, who have embraced modding, stayed private and thus uncorruptable by scumbag media companies like Vivendi, and who are now among the most trusted names in the industry, if not the very most loved.

Yeah yeah offline mode they’ll fix it. Fact is, ain’t a company got anything on Valve. If they were publically traded and ‘analysts’ knew anything about the industry, they’d be valued on par with Apple. Steam is a bigger story than iTunes and poised better for the future.

• Asurmen says:

Apart from the fact that Blizzard have always been owned by another company throughout their most successful period. so this Valve are gods rant is most irrelevant.

5. MythArcana says:

My imp smacking needs have now been satisfied since Torchlight 2 was released. It’s funny how all the big money ideas are now coming out in these patches as they scurry to make D3 suck a little less. It really makes me wonder what they were doing for 8 years.

• Kaiji says:

They spent all that time figuring out how to milk players for profit.

When they realized they’d put hardly any effort into figuring out how to actually *retain* those players, it was too late.

• fish99 says:

Yup, I don’t even know why they’re bothering. Nothing is going to bring people the 99% of the player base that already left back to play that same content again. They should just be focusing on expansion packs now.

• rifflesby says:

They almost certainly are working on expansions. The guys who code and install a monster power adjustment menu are not the same guys who design monsters, levels, art, dialog, or any of the other content that goes into an expansion.

• Machinations says:

Diablo 3 – the Pyrrhic victory.

The ‘fastest selling PC game of all time’ has also destroyed an IP of nearly incalculable value and ruined Blizzard’s name among thinking gamers – especially the older ones with money, like me – beyond repair.

• Asurmen says:

Hyperbole and a high opinion of yourself. You do not speak for everyone so throwing around statements like this is some what disingenuous.

• fish99 says:

That’s an over-reaction. The worst aspect of the game – the DRM – meant I couldn’t play it maybe 2% of the time I wanted to play it. The other main problem with the game – the AH replacing drops – that was definitely bad but I did eventually get into the whole AH thing (without using the RMAH), and it didn’t really affect my enjoyment of the game much. D3 still had the most entertaining gameplay I’ve seen in a diablo game – it played fast, with lots of movement abilities (DH), the skills were well designed so you had to use all your skills (especially on hell/inferno) rather than just 2 or 3, and it was satisfying to play.

The bottom line is for my £28 I got about 60 hours of mostly very enjoyable gameplay from D3.

• MadFox says:

I agree. I’ve given up on Diablo 3 after believing that they could work things out but the amount of rage from lagging and dieing in inferno or from realizing I needed to save money for the auction house to have the equipment to progress. Has left me with a general loss of trust in blizzard. I don’t really like ARPGs but I loved Diablo 2 and Blizzard but now Blizzard is just a company and they have lost me as a fanboy. Not sure if they care but still.

• BluElement says:

Your “99% already left” comment makes you an idiot. People who make up statistics to make their point seem better are just plain stupid and I honestly don’t care what the rest of your opinions are once I know that you are indeed stupid.

6. Tolkfan says:

There is “DLC” coming in this patch, it’s called Infernal Machine.

Btw. how would you do modding in a game with a secure closed system like D3? The first thing modders would do is create a small room with a 100 treasure chests or respawning elites with 1hp.

• SonicTitan says:

My retort would be the question “So?”

Blizzard’s closed-system of design was a mistake from the beginning, put in place to solve problems that didn’t exist.

• Tolkfan says:

Duping, botting, hacking, scamming on those external trade sites. Those problems never existed in Diablo 2. Right…

• Victuz says:

Neeeeever >_>

• Claidheamh says:

But this is the wrong solution. What’s wrong with separate MP and SP?

• Bhazor says:

And that affected your game…. how?

• SonicTitan says:

Those weren’t problems if you didn’t do them. It was a single player game with a multiplayer component. There was and is no “competition”, therefore it wasn’t a problem. This is the attitude that leads people to declare any mod of any game ever “cheating”. Forget it.

• MadTinkerer says:

But those problems didn’t ever exist in Diablo II. Not in my copy, fenced off in the LAN me and my friends played on.

No, really. I never encountered those problems.

• Machinations says:

Erm, who cared if it did?

All the time I spent in Diablo 2 multiplayer – which I think is worth pointing out, the majority of players never even touched Battle.net – I played with friends.

If I was playing with cheaters. I would STOP. Imagine that.

Diablo 2 and now, ‘Diablo 3′ (aka ‘Real Money Auction House Gear Grind Simulator Over 9000) are not MMO’s, and most of the people duped into buying D3 thinking it was an actual sequel to D2 gave exactly two shits about ladders and ‘hardcore’ play.

• zeroskill says:

I’m sorry but the people that didn’t care about pvp, hc or ladder weren’t the one’s that kept Diablo 2 alive for so long.

You can always play Torchlight 2 with your friends over lan in your basement and have a jolly good time and leave Diablo 3 to the min-max’ers out there.

• Machinations says:

Duplicate Post Champion gets me everytime.

7. Victuz says:

Perhaps I’ll give it another spin than. I did try playing a bit after paragon came around but my main issue was the fact that the jump between chapters on inferno is just too ridiculous. The amount of grind you had to do to effectively get from act 2 to act 3 is ridiculous and all that with barely any challenge from act 2 itself.

This might possibly resolve the issue. We’ll see.

• neurosisxeno says:

The problem was that you needed gear from Act II Inferno to beat Act II Inferno, and they have since made it so you can get better item level gear earlier, which helps a lot. Basically the early people to clear Inferno exploited and were top tier players, so they managed to get ahead of the curve and have tons and tons of gold that allowed them to get any piece of gear they needed when they wanted it. Since Blizzard sitched around the item levels you had access to a lot of the problems of itemizing are easily solved by the AH.

8. DickSocrates says:

A “Monster power” option like this seems like a really inelegant sticking plaster. So much for lore and atmosphere, here’s a transparent game mechanic. “Descend into Hell, fight hoards of terrible demons, battle Satan himself! Adjust monster power!”

They’ve given up and are saying, “Here, you do it.” Monster power is an admission that game design intention is not working.

• PleasingFungus says:

I think “lore and atmosphere” gave way somewhere around this screen.

It’s a way to let players customize the design to their own likings. Chill!

(And it’s “hordes” of demons, btw. (Though the slip is appropriate.))

• karthink says:

Um, what is wrong with that screen exactly?

• caddyB says:

The Wizard is running around with a spear and shield, I think.

• Ragnar says:

Because wizards, in exchange for their special powers, had to sacrifice their thumbs, and thus are not to equip spears?

I assume the OP wanted to illustrate that silly names (Club of the Bear, Spear of the Eel, Sword of the Sloth) and random loot were destructive to the story and lore, as opposed to, say, hand-crafted and hand-placed loot. Personally, I think the writing and VO are to blame. It’s like they were designed to be skipped and disregarded.

• SirKicksalot says:

What Diablo 3 needs most is a STFU button where all the lore, story and character shit is removed.

• ffordesoon says:

This. This this this this this.

That story could have been great, and it would still have felt out of place in the design. That it’s horrible (if passably acted and presented well) simply adds insult to injury. Torchlight 2′s story isn’t very good on its own, but it feels much better, because the game never shoves it down your throat or in any way insists that you have to care.

It also only has fully voiced dialogue for main-plot questgivers, and you can skip that dialogue with one click. Diablo III forces you to wait around listening to awful dialogue, and even trying to click past it takes ages, because almost every line seems to have a separate text box. Even Borderlands 2, which gives you far more story per square inch than D3, doesn’t feel nearly as restrictive, because it never forces you to listen to the story bits. Also, the script itself is entertaining, if overly shouty at times, which really helps.

The weirdest thing about Diablo III’s story is that, despite the game’s heavy focus on its narrative, basically every twist is outright spoiled on the Achievements page. The fact that Adria is alive, for example, is self-evident when there’s an achievement for exhausting every conversation option with Adria. Oh, and it might have been shocking that she betrays you at the end of Act 3, but it isn’t when you can see unchecked conversations literally called “Adria’s Betrayal” that take place in Act 4. Oh, you think that’s a spoiler? Tell Blizzard not to put that on the damn Achievements page, then, because it’s pretty impossible to miss if you can, y’know, read words.

Also, BL2 and T2 don’t have Leah, which automatically makes both of them better. Leah, with her one note, utterly nonsensical character arc that goes from “STOP IT WITH YOUR WACKY STORIES ABOUT THE SUPERNATURAL SO I CAN FIGHT THESE DEMONS FROM HELL, UNCLE!” to “Oh, hey, maybe these demons I personally have fought do exist!” YES, LEAH, THEY DO. WHAT DID YOU THINK WE WAS PUNCHING FOR THE PAST TEN HOURS? WEIRD-LOOKING CATS?

That may be the single dumbest character arc I’ve ever seen in a video game. At least most dumb arcs go out of their way not to contradict themselves. With Leah, it feels like the writers and the designers never had one conversation about anything either group was working on. Which may be true. Still, it’s shameful that the biggest AAA developer [i]in the world[/i], a team with unlimited time and money who chose to invest some of that time into creating a more extensive narrative than Diablo has ever seen before, didn’t think, “Hmm, maybe we shouldn’t have the most important NPC in the game actively contradicting the validity of the player’s experience every single time you talk to her for the first fourth of the game, and even sometimes after that?”

• Machinations says:

YOU DONT UNDERSTAND I AM A DEMON GOD AND WILL DESTROY YOU!

OH NO YOU DIDN’T NOW I *REALLY* AM GOING TO DESTROY YOU!

YOU BLEW UP MY WIDGET – THIS WONT STOP ME THOUGH BECAUSE MY SUPER-SECRET SPY HAS SAPPED YOUR SENTRY YOU ARE DOOMED!

I MEAN IT THIS TIME! YOU ARE REALLY REALLY DEAD.

I WOULD HAVE KILLED YOU ALL IF NOT FOR YOU DAMN MEDDLING KIDS.

• ffordesoon says:

Haha, I actually vaguely enjoyed the monologuing villains, though not for the reasons they likely intended. I kind of liked them because they reminded me of Cobra Commander or Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget. Like, they’re just dorks with spooky voices who sit in front of a crystal ball and watch you murder everything, and then they’re like, “I have, er, prepared for just such an eventuality! You may have decimated my legions, and destroyed my ballistae, but CAN YOU DESTROY THESE FOUR THINGIES THAT LEAD TO MY INNER… Oh. Hmm. Looks like you can. Well, um, BEHOLD THE TORMENTOR OF– Really? Again? Oh, fuck you!”

The only thing that’s missing is for them to escape in a conveniently throne-shaped space pod or something every time you try to kill them. Which really makes them less effective villains than Cobra Commander or Dr. Claw. Which, um, is kind of sad, since those dudes had a success rate of zilch.

Still, if Azmodan was all, “GONNA GET YOU, GADGET!” and had an evil cat? 11/10.

• Srethron says:

+1 to both of you. Although all dialogue and cutscenes can be skipped with the Esc key. While it only skips subtrees of conversations, it still means pound a key 1-3 times and useless NPC conversation two hundred and thirty five is insta-over. You can also turn off Voices in the sound settings. Or you could just turn all sound and music off and listen to music and podcasts. So many podcasts.

• Asurmen says:

All they’re really doing is returning functionality that existed in D2.

• cibo says:

It’s no more transparent a game mechanic than “Nightmare Difficulty” or any of the others. Actually it’s more like another difficulty slider. And as was said, D2 had the players 8 command that would do about the same thing.

Though it does feel like they’re surrendering and handing balancing out to the players.

• MadTinkerer says:

Not enough for me to buy it. Once LAN / Offline singleplayer is restored I might consider buying it if I’m not too distracted by playing TL2 mods.

• Freud says:

At this stage in the game there a players that have such good gear there is nothing that present a challenge. At the same time you have new level 60s that struggle with the content.

This change is the opposite from giving up. It’s a very nice addition to the game. Also, a side benefit is that it opens up all acts to players. Previously Act 3 was the act where well geared players played because it had the best rewards. Now you can play Act 1-2 and still get access to good rewards and a good challenge.

Patch 1.04 was a good step forward and it looks like patch 1.05 will be an even bigger step forward. Not that it will change the minds of sulky internet trolls. They’ll continue with their whinging no matter what.

• zeroskill says:

I agree, I am kind of surprised how serious they are taking the game. They didn’t just push it out and let it die, Blizzard is working pretty hard at making the game better, and more surprisingly, together with the community.

The game is still far from perfect, but if they keep at it, it might just get there in time. Still itemization needs serious work, and getting lag spikes in HC is just infuriating. They need better servers (it kind of sounds stupid, but I play Guild Wars 2 and Dota 2 on a regular basis and I never get lag in any of those games, /ever/ so obviously it has to be a problem with connectivity on Blizzards side or they just need better servers).

The next thing they should be looking at is PvP. The way Guild Wars 1 Battle Isles did it was pretty neat, that’s what Blizzard should be looking at. A similar system would fit Diablo 3 really well in my opinion. Diablo 3 needs a place where people can interact with each other, other then a chat room. A city or island, build into the lore, where people can meet each other, make trades, make new friends and do battle in PvP, show off their shiny PvP achievments to others, is what the game needs now in my opinion.

• suibhne says:

Given that the game released about 6 months ago, what the heck do you mean by praising Blizzard’s commitment to maybe “get[ting] the game there on time”?

• Unaco says:

Zeroskill says ‘in time’, not ‘on time’. There is a difference.

• neurosisxeno says:

Considering it took D2 3 years and an expansion to get to the point where people loved it, I think it’s a little early to write it off. Blizzard games always take some time to get to the sweet spot; look at Starcraft. It took like 4 years for Brood War to get to the point where it was an excellent competitive RTS, SC2 is still trying to work a lot of the issues it has out. The difference as I see it between Blizzard and most companies, is that most companies would stop with this patch and start working on a sequel or a different title, and leave any problems for the rest of eternity, Blizzard will support D3 for years to come.

9. aliksy says:

File under “Things that should have been in at launch.”

Wake me up if they fix the shitty hit detection, fix or mute atrocious writing, and add a bottomless dungeon.

• Warskull says:

On top of being something that should have been in the game at launch, this patch is late enough that Diablo 3 has lost most of its relevance. Even the people I know who really played a lot of D3 have stopped and moved on to bigger and better games.

The fixes are 3 months too late. They shouldn’t have spent so much time denying there were problems. Guild Wars 2, Torchlight 2, and Borderlands 2 are already out.. Other big hitters like Planetside 2 are on the horizon.

• BluElement says:

Nothing was ever wrong with hit detection, spacebar skips everything almost instantly, there was never a bottomless dungeon in D2, or alternate response, don’t be lazy and take the extra two seconds to switch to a new dungeon once done with the first.

10. Ruffian says:

Blizzard, Where’s the pvp already? Wtf is the point in gearing up or grinding in a game like this if you can’t test your mettle against something other than angry chase-bots in different skins… It’s lost on me anyway.

• zeroskill says:

You don’t just “add” pvp. It needs to be at least somewhat balanced before they can let it out into the wild. Otherwise people like you will complain that it isn’t balanced.

And yeah, everybody is gearing up for the upcoming pvp part of the game, that’s pretty obvious. Thanks for pointing that out Sherlock.

11. JademusSreg says:

The flavor is ambiguous, with a piquant musk of disappointment.

Cool that players can choose to make the game more challenging for greater reward.
    Lame that players can mitigate the tension of the game by controlling difficulty parameters, thereby reducing uncertainty.
    Disappointing that there still is no new content.

I love the gameplay, the slick and crunchy mechanics; Diablo 3′s core gameplay is a wild alaskan salmon filet lightly sautéed in garlic, red-wine, and lemon, coated with a fine layer of grated vintage gouda, flash baked to a crisp texture.

So much as I would like to continue playing the game, I haven’t touched it in months. Once I played through Developer Hell in Act 1 Inferno, I had seen all there was to see, killed all there was to kill. Giving the player More Numbers, more monster-numbers, more loot-numbers, more stat-numbers, more level-numbers, it’s all only as good as the journey it enriches and is nothing alone.

12. Skabooga says:

. . . and 3439 percent more health.

Holy mortar and pestle! That’s a level of grinding previously only seen at bruxism conventions.

13. SuperNashwanPower says:

“Makes Old Zones Hard Again”

Innuendo Bot 5000 is now writing headlines

14. Azru says:

As usual: an article on RPS about D3 – bitching and whining about always-online/no mods from both the author and everyone in comments. Yawn, moving along.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Well, if you feel the game is great, well.. er.. great! Go have fun, and if you want to let us know.

Most commenters here reflect not too positively on Diablo 3 but that doesn’t say you can’t say anything positive. In fact I’d hope such would be encouraged. After all, tastes vary and it’s good to be aware of tastes differing from yours.

• Machinations says:

I’d love to see an eloquent defense of Diablo 3.

Unfortunately, it would have to be as devil’s advocate – pardon the pun – because Diablo 3 is shit as anyone with eyes and a functional cerebellum can see.

If you’re still playing, how many people from your friends list still show up and play? I guess I am indirectly asking how many masochists you had as friends.

• ffordesoon says:

I don’t think it’s a bad game by any means. It’s actually very good, as far as it goes. It has the same problem Assassin’s Creed does, though; the designers don’t understand what people like about the game. Every time you get into a nice rhythm and feel the old lizard-brain clickclicklootloot signal kick in, they force you to talk to someone or head back to town or listen to lore or craft or do something that isn’t what you care about at all, and you get angry, because your flow has been broken.

Also, the mechanics are so polished that they feel frictionless, and games need friction to stay fresh.

• ludde says:

I don’t think having to listen to lore and do crafting are problems at all. I very much appreciated doing both in Diablo 2.

The problem lies in Diablo 3′s writing being pure crap, and the crafting too random and not very rewarding.

• BluElement says:

So, you’d love to hear a defense for the game, but anyone who defends the game is either blind or stupid because your opinion of the game being “shit” is the only correct opinion.

Oh, or they’re masochists.

Yeah, you definitely sound like an intelligent person with which to have an eloquent debate.

15. Yosharian says:

Waiiiit what people are still playing this game?

Sorry, I had to. Really though, there are so many good games out right now. God knows why I’d go back to playing this.

• BluElement says:

I still go back to it every once in a while. It’s still a fun game and has gotten a lot better with the last couple patches.

16. Tuckey says:

Couldn’t even be arsed to slog through normal, after slogging through easy, to unlock something remotely challenging. Got a full refund from paypal.

17. Machinations says:

I will give Blizzard some credit though; they gave me a refund, and I promptly – as promised – bought a much better game, Diablo 2 (and used the money I saved to get yet another even better game, Torchlight 2)

That is all.

• Hahaha says:

“I cannot say anything good about Diablo 3 ; are people still playing the game, other than farmers and bots?”

Read what you wrote then think about how stupid it sounds.

Farmers who run bots so they can sell stuff to players are in your mind the only ones playing the game??? How does that even work.

• UncleLou says:

Well I don’t know, I am playing Torchlight 2 atm (nearly finished), and it really isn’t “much better”.

Balancing and difficulty curve are rather off for me, for starters (playing on veteran). It was quite difficult for a short time, and then got progressively easier. At the moment (act III, near the end, from what I can tell) I am pretty much unstoppable, and as opposed to having to use 6 active skills to survive, I am basically using two.

Also, the hitboxes are pretty awful. If you want to move at all while being surrounded, you need to use the extra “move without attacking” command. D3 had this option too, but it wasn’t nearly needed as much.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am enjoying it a lot because I am a fan of the genre and a lot has to happen that I don’t enjoy smashing monsters and picking up loot, but from the “big 3″ at the moment (D3, TL2, PoE beta), D3 has the most fun core mechanics and skills for me personally, PoE has the best min/maxing character building tool (but is a tad boring to play), and TL2 is the most “old-school” experience with a lots of neat little ideas.

18. Carra says:

Ok, more ways to do the same content.

I don’t get it either, just give me the game with a “easy, normal, hard, super-hard” mode and let me finish it once with every class.

• BluElement says:

The Diablo franchise has ALWAYS been about farming the same content over and over again and collecting gear. I understand if you “don’t get it”, but then you obviously never understood any of the Diablo games, so why would you assume that you would understand the third one?

19. age says:

WoW needs this far more than D3. WoW actually has interesting unused content. A system where you could run any dungeon at any level at any difficulty would almost be enough to entice me back.

Almost…