The RPS Bargain Bucket: Just So

By Lewie Procter on October 13th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

I hope you weren’t planning on buying some games for full price? If you were, sorry, I may be about to ruin your plans. You see, contained within this document are some of the best value gaming deals from around the internet. Read on to find loads of ways to get a lot of game for not a lot of money. Why not visit the website SavyGamer.co.uk if you’d like to hear about even more cheap games.

Really Big Sky – Pay What You Want
Registers on Steam.
This is a brilliant sidescrolling shmup, with a cracking soundtrack and lots of bright lights. You sometimes have to switch from shooting to dodging barriers, or to drilling through rocks. It’s wicked stylish, and it’s got an upgrade system that you can use to upgrade things. Does everything you’d want out of a shmup, and it’s really polished. Easilly worth a couple of quid, I reckon.

Ubisoft GOG promo
Here you’ve got Ubisoft’s entire catalogue on GOG reduced by 60%. There’s loads of Might and Magic games, a bunch of stuff witha Tom Clancy prefix, the Prince of Persia games, the Rayman games, XIII, Beyond Good & Evil and more. All DRM free, just how we like it. I think I’ll be picking up a few of these myself.

World of Goo – £1.39/€1.79/$1.99
The little game about goo that everybody fell in love with is four years old today. As such, the developers have made it cheap. If you’ve still not played World of Goo than you really should fix that now, and here’s John explaining why:

I’ve seen the broadest beams on the faces of colleagues trying to describe it. I’ve beamed throughout myself. Moving through the four seasons of levels has made me feel just so happy. Happy because of its wonderful atmosphere, and happy because it’s just so extraordinarily good. I adore World Of Goo, I want to show it to everyone I know, I want to use it to convince people that gaming is smart, and witty, and brilliantly original. I’ve run out of ways to say this: It’s beautiful.

More here.

Double Fine games for cheap.
It’s probably worth checking to see which is the cheapest in your local currency, because Amazon US & Steam have both got sales on a Psychonauts/Costume Quest/Stacking bundle, and everything discounted invididually. Iron Brigade on Steam is slightly reduced too. What a delightful collection of creative, fun and silly games these are. It’s wonderful to see a developer like Double Fine hitting their stride making lots of smaller games stuffed with new ideas, and I think their recent output is clearly some of their best work. Why not read Alec’s opinions on Costume Quest, Stacking & Iron Brigade.

Deal of the week
Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City – £6.21/€7.71/$9.99
Registers on Steam, and you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
This is an excellent price for just Arkham City, so to get both entries in this series for this price is astonishing value. Consult Alec’s opinions on the first here, and Adam’s on the sequel here. They’re both excellent games, although I think the first was more consistently enjoyable. I wonder what Rocksteady are working on now.

Also of note:
The Green Light bundle
Driver: San Francisco – £2.49
Blur – £3.75
Divine Divinity – Pay What You Want
F.E.A.R. Ultimate Pack – £6.21/€7.71/$9.99

For all the gaming discounts, visit SavyGamer.co.uk.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bhazor says:

So is Divine Divinity worth the time to play? Is it a proper RPG or a Diablo clone?

• Dominic White says:

Somewhere between the two. Proper quest-based RPG with Diablo-esque combat. Beyond Divinity isn’t much cop, sadly, but Divinity 2: DKS (heavily reworked ‘directors cut’ type deal + expansion) is excellent. My most pleasant RPG surprise of 2010.

• Tacroy says:

It’s a kind of game you don’t really see any more, there were a lot of them back in the day.

Dink Smallwood was my favorite.

• Kyrius says:

Dink Smallwood! I played this little gem soooo much… I feel nostalgic right now :(

Crimsoneer says:

Oh wow, Dink Smallwood. This is…ancient. I remember playing this when I was but a wee lad discovering the fabulous world of free and abandonware.

• int says:

I have fond memories of punching the heads off of ducks.

• RaffyS says:

For some reason, I used to read that as Dick Smallwood when I was a kid. I still have nightmares about those leeches sometimes.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Divine Divinity is a challenging little Diablo clone that hasn’t aged very well. Beyond Divinity is complete shit. Divinity II is a colorless fantasy RPG that will give you quite a few hours of enjoyment before you finally snap out of it and realize that there are much better fantasy games out there.

• czerwony says:

Div 2: DKS is amazing. It has a really sharp script which is self-aware as hell and genuinely funny, ace setpieces, memorable characters and is in every way better than Skyrim.

• Mithent says:

Agreed, I liked DII:DKS a lot. Exploring felt rewarding, as there were plenty of hidden things worth finding, and I enjoyed the script too. It’s not perfect, but I got a lot more play out of it than most newer RPGs.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I won’t argue that DII is a well-made game, it’s just generic fantasy in almost every way and the fun just wore off for me after about a dozen hours or so. Eventually I’ll reinstall it and finish it.

I’ll still take it over Skyrim any day of the week though.

Colonel J says:

I think Divine Divinity has aged pretty well considering, and didn’t feel to me any more dated than the Infinity engine games though they have the advantage of all the fan mod improvements that DD doesn’t have. Not having played it before I got sucked right into and put about 30 hours in last year, it’s still compelling and has a ton of charm.

• Dominic White says:

“Divinity II is a colorless fantasy RPG”

Man, what? It’s one of the most actively fantasy-driven RPGs in ages. Being a dragon-lord in your own gigantic fortress tower, sending minions out to gather loot for you while you threaten villains into surrending, and sass necromancers for not being able get a living date.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Sorry, but Divinity’s entire world is steeped in fantasy cliches. It’s got no soul of its own. It’s generic in every way, shape, and form. It’s certainly not a bad game, just a bit bland as far as setting goes.

• Caiman says:

But Div II takes those fantasy cliches and twists them into something much more gothic, and when it’s not doing that it just has fun with them or plain takes the mickey out of them. It’s self-aware fantasy cliches, and when you combine that with the witty and sharp dialogue, the great feel to the combat (particularly as a mage, I found), and the relatively open world where you can fly around as a dragon, honestly who cares if it invokes fantasy cliches? Ranks right up there in my top 10 games of all time, next to a few other games full of fantasy cliche no doubt.

• dE says:

Concerning Divine Divinity: I was expecting a Diablo Clone and no, it’s not that. But it’s not a “proper” RPG either. The game is in a really weird spot, as if someone took Diablo 1 and then just kept adding stuff. Running a couple of “RPG Filter Passes”. For example, there are a plethora of quests, which you pick up by talking to people. It’s even possible to partially or completely screw them up, the game is quite happy in letting you fail thing.
      There’s a system where you can experiment with plants to create potions and there are some genuine, albeit simple puzzles. There are secrets too, which are hinted at in books or conversations, some of which are hinted at, hours before you actually encounter the place. So taking notes is recommended. For crying out loud, the game even has magical artefacts that turns your character into a cat. Practical purpose? None, except for some fluff.

Please note that I said Diablo 1 and not 2. Much of the mechanics and gameplay refinements of the second title are lost on Divine Divinity. At times it can be extremely clumsy in its execution, some characters are just unbelievably stupid and the occasional voice acting is especially cringe-worthy. Combat, while being a big part of the game, is a pretty mediocre experience. It wasn’t grating to me but never satisfying either.

One way or another:
      If you’re into slightly obscure titles and think Diablo 1 could do with a lot more RPG elements and an actual super sized overworld, without expecting a full out RPG, if you can enjoy a game even though it has obvious failings here and there, if you like soaking up the lore of a game by reading every book and exhausting every dialogue option, then this might be a game for you.
      If however, you’re looking for an item centric loot game, which you can keep on playing forever, with finely crafted combat, then please don’t play this game. It’s not about the loot or the level, even though there are some nice items. It also doesn’t have random dungeons.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

Has no one here played the Ultima games?

• Tacroy says:

I know, I have no idea why people keep on calling Divine Divinity a Diablo clone.

The Divine Divinity family tree is almost entirely divorced from Diablo’s; Diablo was the first mainstream Roguelike, whereas DD’s roots go back to Ultima via Fallout and Baldur’s Gate.

Sure, it stripped off some of the story (we can’t all be Chris Avellone or Lord British), but it shoots off from a fundamentally different tree; the world and loot are largely hand-crafted, not randomly generated, and it’s more than “go to dungeon and hit things until they stop moving”.

• Ringwraith says:

I find it funny how many people didn’t like Beyond Divinity, I quite liked it. It certainly took the quirky sense of humour the first game had and cranked it up several notches, and was much more interesting from the off. So I’m not sure what people didn’t like about it.
      It also didn’t quite have the problem Divine Divinity had in the most ridiculously huge (and difficult) final dungeon known to man.

2. spacedyemeerkat says:

Driver San Francisco is an absolute steal at that price.

Colonel J says:

Yes a bargain and It was about to press buy on that…then went to double check and realised I’d already bought it for £1 on that UPlay launch promo thing not long ago, set up a UPlay account just for that game then immediately forgot all about it. Demonstrating why I really need a policy to not impulse buy anything unless it’s on Steam, Origin, GOG or Gamersgate, because I just can’t keep track of what I own otherwise.

Smashbox says:

Know that feel, bro. I need an EFFORTLESS reference shelf like the old days.

• The Tupper says:

Yeah Driver SF is probably my favourite game of last year. Definitely my favourite driving game.

• Tacroy says:

I got pissed off and quit playing because it would stutter every five minutes. Turns out this was because I was trying to play in the middle of the Steam sale, and Ubisoft’s UPlay servers were getting massacred; it looks like for some reason a vital game thread was being used to perform a blocking network operation, which means that when Ubi’s servers don’t respond the game locks up until your computer gives up. Who the fuck does that?

That left such a bad taste in my mouth I haven’t been able to go back to the game since.

• Archangel says:

You’ll be glad to know that you can play the game in offline mode after you’ve connected once. Lord know WTF Ubi is thinking 90% the time, but at least you can eliminate any shoddy network infrastructure in this case. When you launch the Uplay client, click on your username in the upper right and choose Go Offline. There’s also an option to always start offline when you press the little gear icon.

• Tacroy says:

I ended up just blocking Driver from the internet entirely at the firewall, that worked well enough.

The whole thing just made me so ragey it ruined the game.

• The Random One says:

The link doesn’t seem to take me to its page. Is there some sort of mumbo jumbo needed to buy at Gamefly?

• alex_v says:

Really disappointed that the outstanding co-op and multiplayer is missing from the PC port though. I recommend getting the console version if you possibly can.

3. pakoito says:

Why no coverage on the Divnity 10th anniversary box? Gog’s response is just a counterpart to it.

4. mmalove says:

So, I know this is a UK site, but for the US/Canada based readership:

Summary:
    The code os3874xvc can be used to dock 20 bucks from the Origin store of most of it’s digital download line up, up to and including making a 20 dollar game free. Just snagged dragon age 2 for no pennies, so if it’s as terrible as various reviews made it sound, I’m in at the right buy in :P

• Hardtarget says:

nice, snagged dead space 2 for zero dollars

• mwoody says:

Whoah, this is incredible, thank you! Just got Dragon Age 2 for absolutely free. It didn’t even ask for a credit card.

• Ignorant Texan says:

Thank you, mmalove. I can also vouch for this working. I am downloading Mass Effect 2.

• derbefrier says:

thanks man got Mirrors Edge. Its one of those games i always wanted but never bought. I can also confirm it doesn’t even ask for a credit card just a name and address. Its like a sore dick…you just cant beat it!!!

• SkittleDiddler says:

Thanks for the tip! I just got Hidden Springs free for The Sims 3. Now I just need the other 30 bazillion DLC packs for that game and I’ll be set.

5. Delusibeta says:

FYI: the Batman pack deal apparently will expire some point tomorrow, so grab it while you can. It will be replaced by a bundle of Square Enix & Eidos games being sold for $10. Considering the quality of the stuff in said bundle, if there’s one deal you take up this weekend, make it that one.

• J.Kruegger says:

So sad about the Square Pack, looks awesome but of the games I don’t have I’d only take Hitman or Remnant.

If there was a time to pick the rentalware that is the Arkham series was this week, it was even better at the start with the code OCTOFUN1, which brought it to 7.50, unfortunately it’s expired it seems, people might as well try it, just in case.

• Baines says:

What I want to know is why are these Amazon bundles, before sale, being sold for *more* than the sum of their contents? The Square bundle off-sale is $33 more than buying the eight games separately. The EA pack off-sale is $15 more than buying its five games separately.

• Fanbuoy says:

Well, probably it’s because it allows them to sell it for like 75% off, without actually selling it for 75% off. If that is the case, it’s dishonest, shady and it should be illegal. I suppose it’s legal in the US though.

• Baines says:

Amazon does list the individual total price right above the bundle price, so it isn’t even like the information is hidden. You don’t even have to do the math, you just have to realize whether one number is greater than or less than (or equal to, in the case of the GTA4 bundle) the other number.

I guess it is primarily just sloppy updating. When someone permanently drops the price of an individual game, he either doesn’t think to check for any related bundles, or he doesn’t have the authority to change the bundles even if he does notice them. After a few older games get marked down without the bundle being changed, you end up with a bundle that sells for higher than its individual components.

At the same time, it is both more annoying and less annoying than when Steam gets sloppy with its sales and ends up with bundles that are 1 cent more expensive than its component parts.

• Okama Gabesphere says:

Pretty sure it’s to keep people from buying it before it goes on sale.

6. mOrs says:

Why no mention of the GTA-Weekend on GamersGate? http://www.gamersgate.com/games?prio=relevance&q=gtaweekend 5€ for the complete GTA titles up to Vice City is pretty great if you ask me. Only downside is that GTA London is missing.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

20% off the new Sanctum map-pack, as well. (Steam has it for the same.)

• Wedge says:

I was under the impression all pre GTA III games were actually free since forever ago…

• The Random One says:

They are. The Grand Theft Auto Classics and Grand Theft Auto Trilogy bundles cost the same, and the only difference between them is that Classics has I and II as well.

elderman says:

At the moment, the SecuROM DRM wont let me register (and so play) the GTA III from gamersgate. Haven’t tried the others yet. I’ve sent a ticket to the SecuROM support desk, so maybe it’ll be cleared up. This is my first time dealing with this kind of pain in the neck, as I usually buy independent games without DRM; at the moment I’m feeling like I should have known better.

The price was right, but it doesn’t matter if I can’t get the games working.

7. The Tupper says:

I finally bought World Of Goo – never played it before. Trying it now for the first time.

Naum says:

If you happen to find that you like the soundtrack — and you’d be a horrible person if not — the composer has made it available for free here.

• The Tupper says:

Thank you Naum. Not sure if I’m ready to go that far, but thanks all the same.

• The Tupper says:

Actually, Naum, after playing it a few times I think I’ll download it after all. Thanks again.

• belgand says:

So am I the only person whose opinion of it is an indifferent “meh”? It failed to grab me and I felt the building got tedious quickly. Nothing was worse than the levels where you need to quickly remove a blob and then tack it on somewhere else before it falls over.

I mean, it’s not a bad game, it just feels sort of ignorable.

• aurens says:

no, you aren’t alone. the way the puzzles require timing and precision in addition to finding a solution was aggravating for me. it just collapses in to a haphazard mess instead of being satisfyingly automatic yet frantic like tetris.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I’m somewhere in between, I think. It’s a nice flavourful game, but not as amazing as it’s sometimes presented to be. That I’m not really good at it doesn’t help (not sure whether it’s the game or just me). I haven’t finished it, but then I haven’t deleted it either.

• Baines says:

I can see why people like it, and why it was popular, but it didn’t grab me either. I wanted to like it, but found it both a bit too boring and a bit too annoying. (In some ways, I think a less graphically fancy, more stripped down puzzle game would have been less annoying. But of course that would have made far less money.)

• sinister agent says:

I found it charming and enjoyable, but not exceptional enough to fully overcome my general disinterest in (and ineptitude for) puzzle games. It’s a good example of something I just don’t like very much, I suppose. So yeah, I had a fairly flat reaction to it, too.

8. SpaceAkers says:

Green Man Gaming has 20% off all PC titles right now (Excluding XCOM).

Plus I had some sort of 5 dollar cash back thing going on.

I was able to get Dishonored for $43 USD.

Maltose says:

Green Man Gaming often has 25% off coupons (in fact, the 20% off coupon replaces a 25% off coupon that expired in the last week or so). If you’re going to get something on GMG, I’d suggest you wait until there’s a 25% off coupon, unless there’s some other special promotion that expires soon.

Also, the codes apply to pretty much all preorders (XCOM is the first game I’ve seen that won’t accept codes in about the 6 months I’ve been using the service).

• Caiman says:

They must have changed something then, because it worked on X-Com when I pre-ordered it (non US, which might be important) last week. 25% off, very nice.

• stillunverified says:

Yeah, the coupon didn’t work on the US version of XCom for some reason, so the US got a trade-in deal instead.
          I don’t think a reason was given, I found it kind of odd.

stahlwerk says:

A Game of Thrones on steam … get the (mediocre? shitty?) cash in RTS and the (okay-ish?) RPG for 75% off?

10. MrTambourineMan says:

Oh man, you should have warned me that Arkham City uses Shit for Windows Live I would never ever bought it if I’d known.

maninahat says:

When buying games off of Gamefly, do they provide you with steam keys, or do you have to use some download client of theirs?

Revisor says:

They’re ok. You get the Steam code from their web interface, no need to install anything (bought the amazing Spec Ops there a week ago).

• Jupiah says:

You get steam codes if it’s a steamworks game, but you still have to download their client program and open it to get the codes.

If it doesn’t say “requires third party download client/program/steam” or “steamworks” anywhere on the gamefly webpage though then I’m pretty sure you have to download the game through their client, but I could be wrong because I haven’t bought non-steamworks games from them yet.

• trjp says:

My Spec Ops key arrived by email – no need to install anything

12. The Random One says:

Finally you guys became aware of Indie Game Stand, eh? Really Big Sky will probably be my first purchase with them since none of the games in the Space Bundle in a Box, as awesome as they were, really scratched my Geometry Wars itch.

13. mwoody says:

It’s worth noting with your first one there (IndieGameStand, Really Big Sky) that if you pay $10 or more, you get that game, the previous game (Geneforge 1-5 I think), and the next one (which you won’t know for another 2 days). Actually a really neat idea; did it last week to get Gnomoria, and now I’ve got five RPGs and this shooter to boot.

14. An Asian Dude says:

Mr Procter featured a deal on Borderlands 2 for 10 quids (-ish) a while back, on yuplay.ru. Was very tempting to say the least, though these region limitation things do instill a cause to worry. Testament of Holmes is on the cheap side too. Can I be assured the deal goes through on both ends, and that Valve polices won’t make a case out of it?

• trjp says:

I’d suggest you use a credit card, which gives you better protection against fraud on the part of the key seller

No telling what could happen with regard to your Steam account – my guess would be that the odd key from other regions won’t even be noticed (people gift stuff to their friends all the time) but if you started to do it a lot (adding multiple games every week) you might attract their attention.

I sincerely doubt it would result in a total ban unless you started to accumulate a complete set of games tho :)

• malkav11 says:

Realize that in the case of yuplay.ru you are almost certainly getting the Russian version of whatever you purchase. Which may or may not include any English, (in Borderlands 2’s case) the ability to connect to people playing the English language release, etc. It’s not the sort of thing I’d personally be interested in risking.