More Of The Roses

By Alec Meer on October 15th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Is that horn-spanned?

Q. Is that headline pun the main reason I am writing this story?
A. If you had to even wonder, YOU DON’T KNOW ME AT ALL

So yes: Fatshark’s meaty, crunchy, splattery, well-received medieval action game War Of The Roses is due to have a lanceful of new content rammed into its armoured face. Sounds like a strange hybrid of free’n'paid, dependent on how many, I dunno, Tudorpoints you’ve managed to accrue in the game, and it’s due to fatten up the game next month.

I keep meaning to give WOR a spin but, y’know, XCOMDishonored (and, this week, Retro City Rampage). So this may make a little more sense to those who are versed in its bloody ways: the November update “will introduce a wide variety of weapons, including a horn-spanned crossbow for ranged enthusiasts and a Hospitaller pollaxe made famous by the company of knights bearing the same name. Players will also be able to get their gritty hands on the Milanese Knights Hospitaller crafted Heavy Armor, which can be customized with any of 10 different paint options, as well as an assortment of new visors and one new helmet.”

Horn-spanned crossbow?

Two new modes and maps are also planned for later in the last vestiges of 2012. The maps are set in Wakefield, which twelve people will be interested to hear is the birthplace of RPS chum and OutsideXbox chap Mike Channell, and nearby Towton, and both will feature “a new weather mechanic that will set snow and sleet against ally and adversary alike.” Which does sound like an accurate reflection of living in the North of England, it must be said.

The ‘Pitched Battle’ mode (aren’t they all that?) is going into beta soon, and you may be able to hop onboard that particular train by keeping a weather eye of this forum.

Is there an RPS guild kinda thing for this? There should be.

, , .

1. Gorillion says:

Hope the new game mode is interesting. Half of the current maps are pretty blah, and conquest gets a bit old. It so easily just devolves into mindless spam-battles with the current squad-spawn system.

New weapons would be nice too, I just hope they give us something worth using. Since beta the Scottish sword has only gotten better in comparison, and we need something else to stick in people’s hands.

2. nizzie says:

I don’t know what to think of this game, I actually want to like it, but it’s giving me a hard time. I’m convinced that Fatshark did a great job with the customisation, and the armor system is a good idea, too. But somehow I’m just awful at the game. I don’t know whether it’s just me being bad (although I did pretty well in Warband) or the game being unbalanced (greatswords for instance).

• Gorillion says:

It is a bit imbalanced, and has only become harder since beta. Significantly more difficult to penetrate armor without full charge attacks now, so lots of combat tends to end in long, awkward clink-fests. I do very well in it, consistently top ranked, but they need to severely improve the damage output on a lot of weapons to make combat less awkward and more interesting, and give newer players SOME chance.

• S Jay says:

Same feeling. I tried it in beta, thought it was fun, but did not manage to evolve. It is not so fun to die 500 times and kill 1 guy almost by accident.

3. Skabooga says:

It’s good to see Fatshark is petalling some new content.

• phelix says:

If only XCOM and Dishonored didn’t suck up so much time, I could Clay this some More.

• McDan says:

This season War of the roses does look like the Rose among the thorns (in terms of medieval third person hack and slash games and all the other games) a poor effort I know.

• laddyman says:

By stating that you have made a bad pun you have effectively made it worse.

Scratch that, I’m not even sure that qualifies as a pun.

4. PostieDoc says:

I would like to be able to name my characters rather than playing under the name of my Steam account all the time.
    The game is fun in general until you find yourself in an unbalanced game, then it becomes a bit of a gankfest which is never good.

• CountVlad says:

Naming your character would be cool! :)
      You could even earn new titles (e.g. Squire, Sir, Baron, Count, Duke, etc).

5. Chizu says:

I heard this game was pretty buggy at release, how well have they fixed it up so far?
    Still interested in getting this, but I ended up grabbing Chivalry instead the last time I had money, because the objective based stuff looked far more fun to me (I mostly play Payload in TF2)
    But I certainly have room for 2 sword-to-face games.

Continuity says:

It has improved but is still quite buggy, with occasional laggy performance (I heard the server hosts blamed) and CTD’s. But its playable for the most part.

felisc says:

Chivalry looks yummy. After a few weeks of hesitation, i think i’ll buy it rather than war of the roses.
      So many games, argh.

• Snakejuice says:

I’m still getting CTDs and server disconnects every now and then, still smashy smashy with my mace is too fun to let that stop me! More annoying is the fact a couple of the maps seems buggy in some way as I only get about half fps (20-25, cpu-bound) in those maps, makes me switch servers alot when a map like that comes up.

6. derbefrier says:

I havent put a lot of time in this game. been to distracted by other recent releases (Dishonored, Borderlands 2) Its not a bad game at all. I quite enjoyed the small amount of time I have spent with it.

I would like to see some changes to squad spawning to encourage the front lines to move around more often and give it a more dynamic feeling instead of just fighting most of the battles in spam fests in the middle of the map. This would encourage me to join larger servers again as well as the player base would be more spread out. something as simple as not being able to spawn on the squad leader while he is in combat would help a lot.

I am glad to see them doing good on post release content and support. I will jump back into this game eventually and having a lot more content waiting for me is always a good thing.

7. hairrorist says:

That’s not a pun!

8. hunsnotdead says:

Sadly combat in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare still feels much more “meaty” and satisfying than clickspamming in War of the Roses. Banishing some basic combat elements like riposte(+ the flavour of the month op weapon) to an ivory tower on Grindalot Hill instead of making those generic perks, sure didnt help it. And executions feel more of an annoyance than something fun after a while.
    With Chivalrys objective based map options rather than deathmatch/conquest(as in deathmatch with distracting flags), and better atmosphere, like better scenery(not graphics!), better sounds(warcries, taunts, ambient sounds), i feel Chivalry is the better buying option of the two.

WotR is by no means a bad game, it has Warband like combat, simply great archery, and a suprisingly big community for a multiplayer indie game, but i was expecting much more of it. Maybe the new gamemodes will help, but the lackluster combat, teamspawning, and weapon balance issues are here to stay im afraid. :(

Jackablade says:

I wonder what’s on that dish that the bully knight is taunting the short man with.

• Shadowcat says:

The short man appears to be offering a… blackboard eraser in exchange for that dish?

Or perhaps he’s just removed the larger man’s codpiece?

It’s so hard to tell…

10. thebigJ_A says:

I live in Wakefield, too! Well, Wakefield, Massachussetts. It’s a boring ‘burb outside Boston (where i’m actually from. City kid, me.)

It’s pretty much the same place, yeah?