Indie Royale Fall Bundle Is Quite Good

By John Walker on October 16th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

While some of the Indie Royale Bundles haven’t been the strongest, the latest collection in its almost-pay-what-you-want pile is pretty strong. Featuring one of last year’s best games, To The Moon, alongside Wadjet Eye’s most recent Blackwell game, Deception, is Oil Rush, Reprisal, and something called Avseq.

Okay, so Avseq is a puzzle game from Jim’s little side-project, Big Robot, and as such our even mentioning the bundle here is a clear indication of our ongoing corruption and wanton disregard for journalistic values. BUY IT TODAY!

But this is a nice group, and under £3 nets you the lot right now (although of course you’re free to pay well beyond that). Pay over $5 and you’ll get an album of some sort. Here’s a trailer that explains all:

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. lordcooper says:

Everybody needs to play To The Moon.

• Casimir Effect says:

Seconded. For this price you should feel guilty too

• Jumwa says:

Great. Guilt.

“Huh Maybe I’ll pick up these games. It’s so cheap, why not give it a whirl?”

/guilt

“Damn… guess I should pay more. But I wouldn’t spend that much on just trying something out when I have so many other things to play or do still. You know what? Forget the whole thing.”

/end transaction

That’s my thought process.

• LTK says:

Go back. Buy the bundle. Stop feeling guilty, because all those people paying the absolute minimum still manage to raise over ten thousand dollars in a day, and you shouldn’t feel bad for being one of them.

Also, play To The Moon.

• Mctittles says:

Do you feel guilty trying free samples at a grocery store, or grabbing a promotional prize at a car sales event? It’s just a different marketing strategy.

• Ahtaps says:

I do! Mostly because I have no intention of buying their product so I feel the guilt of perceived obligation to purchase their wares after tasting their fruits…

• chips says:

I do exactly the same thing. If they’d just set the price, I could easily decide and feel ok about it. Instead, I’m stuck either feeling too cheap, or like I’m stupid for overpaying relative to other folks. Humble Bundles are even worse because I feel I should add the charity on top of what goes to the developers so as not to “punish” them for doing something good. Afterwards, I always regret not buying it.

• Crazy Horse says:

Certainly not everyone. The premise of the story was somewhat interesting and might have done well in a tightly written short story but just couldn’t hold my interest in a slow paced game with JRPG style dialog.

• Jackablade says:

I’m a man filled with suspicion and doubt. And some kiwi fruit.

Sell me on why it is that I should play To the Moon.

• Skabooga says:

It tells an interesting and touching story,and it tells it well. Granted, in comparison to other games, it has little to no barriers to skill, whether physical or mental; it does not really provide challenges of puzzles or reflexes. Rather it seeks and succeeds at emotional engagement. And despite all that, the concept still works better in its chosen medium than it would have as a movie or a novel.

Of course, this is all one person’s opinion, and I readily concede that To the Moon is not something everyone will enjoy. But I had a wonderful time with it.

2. Teovald says:

I think that after a couple more years of indie bundles, the next time I will see a normal sale system I will be all : “Dear dev, I don’t understand why is there only one game in your bundle; that’s a really weird idea !! Also I think that there is a bug in your website, I haven’t found any way to select the amount of money to send to the EFF”.

• Caiman says:

https://indiegamestand.com/ are doing 1-game bundles. It’s quite innovative! They have a new game every 3 days, $10 or pay what you want, plus 10% goes to a charity of the devs’ choosing. Some good stuff on there that hasn’t appeared anywhere else.

• The Random One says:

I just bought Really Big Sky there and it is Really Quite Good.

Of note to this particular conversation, if you pay more than $10 there, you also get the previous and the next game to be featured there. So you can buy a bundle there if you really want to.

3. oceanclub says:

Yup, that’s a great price. I bought TTM for $3.99 in a GOG sale; still haven’t actually played it but don’t regret it.

• belgand says:

Yeah, and the entire Blackwell series was on GOG the other day for $6.

Though so far, after playing the first two, I’m not as impressed as I’d like to be. They’re too short and have far too little gameplay. It feels like they would have been better produced as short films or such, not as games.

4. Hoaxfish says:

maybe, no, maybe, no, maybe bundle

5. ArcaneSaint says:

Is the Reprisal and Oil Rush OST album worth it?

• LTK says:

I don’t know, have you tried uh, listening to it?

• ArcaneSaint says:

My apologies, hadn’t seen that the “unlock album” part was a link.

Also, now I’m confused, are the two OSTs included with whatever price, and is the “makeup and vanity set” an additional album at $8+, or is the “makeup and vanity set” a collection of the two OSTs, only available if you pay over $8?

• LTK says:

Hmm, you’re right, I didn’t pay enough attention there. I’m fairly certain that the Oil Rush and Reprisal OSTs are included in the games bundle when you pay the minimum, and the Makeup and Vanity Set album only unlocks at a higher price. I’m not sure whether that price is constant, because it says $8 on the red banner, but €6,26 (for me) below the Buy Now button.

• xelgaex says:

That’s right. The OST’s show up even if you pay the current minimum. It is the other album that is the bonus.

Edit: This is what their newsletter says about the price, “And for those who pay $8 USD or their currency equivalent during the Fall Bundle will get a great fantasy electro 8-bit album from Makeup and Vanity Set: ’88:88′, inspired by the short film 88:88 directed by Joey Ciccoline.” So I guess it is constant and not a beat the average thing.

• zaphos says:

You can play the web version of reprisal online here: http://www.reprisaluniverse.com/site/playreprisal/

(Apparently the desktop version is “UPDATED, MORE FEATURE PACKED, LARGER, BIGGER” but I imagine the web gives a good idea of what the game is / if you’ll like it.)

• InternetBatman says:

The Reprisal web game is one of the more addictive flash games I’ve played. I’m seriously considering the bundle just for it, but I have no interest in the rest of the games.

6. Lucid says:

So… it’s considered a good bundle all because of two games?

• LTK says:

Yep. It takes two to bundle.

• Baines says:

Two games is one more than most Indie Royale bundles seem to have. Well, that’s not entirely true. But I do find that I’ve passed on nearly every Indie Royale offer because I never found enough in them to be worth the minimum bid. Like they’ll be one game I’m willing to pay 3-4 dollars for, and another that maybe I find worth 2, and the rest are things I may never even download. Then I see the current minimum is about a dollar higher my own maximum.

• Sic says:

Are you seriously complaining about getting two ridiculously good games for next to nothing?

I’m not even saying the rest of the games, that you’re also getting for that same ridiculously low price, mind you, are less than ridiculously good either.

• Baines says:

I find myself not getting a bunch of good games at ridiculous prices at both of Steam’s big sales each year. I found myself not getting Amazon’s EA bundle, which was five games, three of which I at least somewhat cared about and one of which I particularly wanted, at a ridiculous price. Gamersgate has recently found me not getting plenty of titles at great prices.

I can’t get everything I want, even if everything is at a ridiculous price. So I limit myself. Judge my budget versus my free time versus what I already own (some of which I’ve never even installed) versus all sorts of issues.

And I find myself saying “A couple of games I kind of want for only $5? And some others that I’d never buy on their own, but would effectively be freebies? … No… I might regret it later, but I’ll just have to pass this time. I haven’t bought Torchlight II/XCOM/[insert name here] yet, there are at least three ‘wanted for years to play’ games still sitting uninstalled on my Steam account, and I haven’t even fired up the Desura client but once in the last two weeks, much less played a Desura game, and I haven’t even run anything I got from the last Gamersgate sale even though most of those are installed. No, I can’t justify $5 for a couple of good games that I kind of want.”

7. Crimsoneer says:

Suggest Price: £15+
    Aww. So cute.

• aliksy says:

Er, what? Are you saying the games aren’t worth that much? Or boasting about how little you pay? Neither of those put you in a favorable light.

• eks says:

That’s $30 NZD. If I was interested enough in the games to pay full price I would have bought them outside the bundle. The point of these bundles for me is to try a bunch of games cheaply that I would have never even bothered to look at before. That’s why these bundles work.

If you think these games are “worth” that much, pay that much but I imagine most people trying this bundle probably don’t.

• LTK says:

The asking price is almost always twice as high as what I pay for a bundle. I usually beat the average by a couple of dollars on most bundles, unless that price is low enough to make me feel like I’m stealing from the devs.

Point is, if I paid what the games are worth with every bundle I buy, I wouldn’t be able to buy food. Fortunately, there are a lot of people like me who still buy these games for cheap, so the bundles move just as much money (probably more) as they would have when the choice was limited to €15 or more.

• AlwaysRight says:

Paying £15 will currently (at time of writing) place you as the fifth highest contributor, so maybe he’s not the only person who pays less than the recommended price?

• aliksy says:

I think I had some brain failure converting pounds to dollars. Also I read “Aw, cute” in the worst possible way.

• AlwaysRight says:

The worst possible “Aw, cute” is when a girl says it after you’ve just undressed.

(Woweeeee that was a crap joke)

• PopeJamal says:

Judgmental much?

• Totally heterosexual says:

“Hah! Like we would ever pay MONEY for those shitty indie games! Am I right guys?”

• Carra says:

“We recommend 7,00€ for this awesome bundle of indie games or 10,00€ to step up your support!”.

Two different prices…

8. Waldkoenig says:

The whole Blackwell series is beautiful. BUY THIS!

• Charles de Goal says:

Seconded, and Blackwell Deception is arguably the best of the Blackwell series!

• mr.black says:

Seconded. Tbh, To the Moon was nice and yes, people should probably play it cause of the cultural positive baggage it gathered, read: to see what all the fuss is about, but somehow I reacted more emotionally to Rosa and Joey’s quirky banter and slick transfers from usual p&c happy-go-lucky puns and comments on “wrong” item combinations, to serious deep thoughts about (after)life.

• Jackablade says:

Do they continue on from each other? If I play the 4th game without playing those before it am I going to know what’ going on?

9. Hodge says:

Yeah, this one’s well worth your time if you don’t own the games already.

10. EddieNoPants says:

I also love that it includes M&VS’s 88:88 album. I’m a big fan in general of this bundle.

• killias2 says:

Oh good, I’m not the only one who was excited by MAVS’s involvement. Honestly, that’s how I first heard of the bundle. I “Liked” MAVS on Facebook, and he posted something about this earlier.

11. killias2 says:

I know nobody ever cares about the albums attached to these, and RPS even dismissed it as, “an album of some sort.”

However, 88:88 is a great album and Makeup and Vanity Set is a great musician. If you’ve ever listened to the Protomen, you might be familiar with “Makeup and Vanity Set Presents: The Protomen,” which is by the same guy. Also good, although 88:88 is better.

I actually bought 88:88 even though it’s free to listen to on the web. Here’s a link: http://makeupandvanityset.bandcamp.com/album/88-88
    Try “The Cross” in particular.

• njursten says:

I feel like I’ll just misplace any bought digital albums. Really liked the music though. Luckliy, they are available on Spotify! \o/
      Listening now, let’s just hope I won’t only like the video title song.

12. James G says:

“Oooh, To the Moon, ” think I, “been meaning to grab that. ”
    I purchase,I know I’ve got the Blackwell Deception already, but I heard vaguely positive things about AV-Seq, but its really To The Moon that I’m grabbing the bundle for.

Which makes it all the more embarrassing when Steam told me I already owned the game.

13. sonofsanta says:

I got so excited that To The Moon was in a bundle that I decided it was paying well over the minimum and dragged the little slider up to £6, and only after purchasing did I realise that this therefore represented a grand saving of 99p off the usual Steam price I’d been holding out on. Ho hum.

Oh well, I hear that AVSEQ thing is pretty good, maybe I’ll give that a whirl as well.

14. Spoon Of Doom says:

You had me at “To The Moon”. I’ve wanted to try that for a while now.

15. RobF says:

There isn’t really enough love out there for AVSEQ, it’s wonderfully hypnotic and well worth folks time.

16. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

AVSEQ means this post should come with a Disclaimer! tag.

• Thermal Ions says:

I would have thought that devoting a third of the text in the article to said conflict of interest would have been sufficient. But then some people just look for the highlights (tags) rather than reading the article I suppose.

Comment on this story