Have A Stare At Star Command

By Craig Pearson on October 17th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Cute lil space captains
I’m charging up my caveat cannon: pshwwwwwwwwwwwwew. Shield disrupted. Right, so this is Star Command, a Kickstarted cross between FTL and The Sims. I’ve been waiting for an extended look at it for a whole space year, and last night one appeared on my tactical screen. A warning: while it has been announced for both mobile and immobile devices, the video I’m embedding below is of the mobile version. But it shows the first extensive look at how the game will work, and the basics of both will be the same. Let’s see what life aboard the Sparklemagic under captain Twinkle Magoo will be like.

You’ll see it’s a slower, busier and more involved version of FTL. You have more control over your crew’s skills, and you’ll decide what layout your ship will have. Not every battle is a fight to keep the ship limping along, although the developers do promise that all your crew will “eventually suffer through a fiery, painful, horrible death”. Those deaths will come in the day-to-day running of the ship, which could be a sneak attack by a viscous alien race, or you might be protecting a nice alien race against a bad one.

It’ll be out next year on the PC.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. andytizer says:

It’s disappointing to hear that the launch (which I have eagerly been anticipating was meant to be for October 2012 last I heard) will be delayed until next year.

• JFS says:

As long it comes out *sometime*, I’d be happy. I fear this might become one of those games that are forever in development, and still prone to getting cancelled and/or turning to vapor.

• celozzip says:

been following this since the beginning. very fishy… two kickstarters, a bunch of broken promises… if this thing ever gets released, i’ll eat my hat.

2. thebigJ_A says:

I like how in the future, everyone has a lazy eye.

3. wodin says:

I liked the sound of this but was put of by realtime combat..will still keep my eye on it though. It looks alot more involving than FTL which was great for 15 mins every now and again but not something that seemed to have enough content to keep me coming back..

I was on their forum the other day and alot of people moaning about the release and it’s taking too long..this is something that all KS games will suffer from most likely..miss that deadline and expect torrents of abuse.

• apocraphyn says:

Gawsh Wodin, not everything needs to be turn based.

…I mean, y’know. One or two things can afford not to be. The world still needs more turn based RTS’s, as proved the other day.

• wodin says:

yeah but my slow brain can’t cope with realtime;)

Just realised whats a turn based RTS when it’s at home, surely it’s one or the other.

I just feel this game with an XCom like tactical element and design your own space ship etc with abit of RPG thrown in could have been really cool.

• dontnormally says:

Ugh, real-time combat on my phone…? I’m still very interested – but my inability to manipulate a silly touchscreen with much precision tends to impede execution of desired plans. And that makes me unhappy.

Waiting for the PC version might be a better idea.

4. wodin says:

Would have been cool if you could actually see the enemy ship and watch it get blown apart bit by bit and see the little space dudes get blown out into space..The green schematic isn’t very exciting to watch really..

• Ateius says:

Aye, watching your weapons carve up the enemy is half the fun in FTL, I’d rather like to see it happen here too.

• Mad Hamish says:

Yeah from what I see here the combat looks awful. Mini games? Who hell thought that was a good idea for ship to ship combat. You’re fighting in star ships it’s supposed to be about maneuvering, tactics and strategy. The combat really put me off this and I crave any game that brings me closer to my starship enterprise.

Minigames….sigh because they’ve worked so well as a core mechanic for many other games haven’t they.

• crinkles esq. says:

Agreed, they really need some work on the combat. They’ve somehow managed to make ship-to-ship battles look completely boring.

5. afflictiv says:

Alien races with a high viscosity are the WORST

6. colincapurso says:

Looks rad.

7. Flappybat says:

I liked the part where they needed a second kickstarter for $100,000 more after the first.

• Dominic White says:

I think a lot of people learnt lessons from that mess – if you’re going to promise physical rewards from a kickstarter, make sure that you can effectively budget for them first. The production costs on the gifts they sent out literally took 90% of the money they raised.

• PatrickSwayze says:

I liked the part where they were successful again

8. Lim-Dul says:

When comparing Star Commnand with FTL, please keep in mind that while FTL is already released, Star Command was actually first (on Kickstarter, for instance), so any “it’s a clone” type arguments are invalid. =)

9. AlwaysRight says:

The graphics remind me a bit of ‘escape from the planet of the robot monsters’ anyone remember that game?

• Mad Hamish says:

ah yes. I remember it on the C64. Not the game really, never played it, but the great name and the full page ads in Zzapp64. Huge ad in a C64 magazine with maybe 2 small screenies from the Amiga version. Those were the days.

10. Wizardry says:

Star Command is already a game from 1988. I think Ubisoft hold the licence now. These guys should come up with a new name.

11. Humppakummitus says:

Hmm. I’m a bit… worried. It looks like FTL without decisions.

12. greenbananas says:

Seems whoever made the game’s soundtrack is a fan of Soul Calibur.

VS

To be fair, that song’s pretty good. It certainly sticks to one’s mind.

13. bluebomberman says:

Having a heftier narrative makes the terrible dialogue more glaring unfortunately.

14. Reekwind says:

This looks incredibly promising, can’t wait to try it out. It’s a good thing it gets released on PC as well since the controls on mobile devices seems rather clumsy.

15. TillEulenspiegel says:

The token thing seems like really poor design in every way imaginable. It would make sense in a turn-based boardgame, but here it’s nonsensical and clunky.

16. MentatYP says:

“Those deaths will come in the day-to-day running of the ship, which could be a sneak attack by a viscous alien race…”

I see what you did there.

17. SuperNashwanPower says:

2:36
    NELSON IS RIKER
    WITH A TOUPEE

18. RichardDastardly says:

This’ll probably play like a sack of crap on mobile phone, and doesn’t look too engaging for a PC game….
    If this games comes out for more than $10 bucks I`ll be surprised.

19. Randomer says:

There seems to be a lot of negativity here on RPS about this game, and I’m not sure why. From watching the kickstarter video, it looks pretty awesome.

20. Synesthesia says:

Mhh, that combat… i dunno. Loved the flailing on fire animation though, i’m always a sucker for isometric pixelart.

21. DarkFarmer says:

Gorgeous art, very very nice. Very cute design and playthrough vid. Looks a little shallow on substance for the PC though, quite in line with what you could expect with a mobile game. Will probably pick this up for my mobile even if its like gasp 3.99.

22. wodin says:

The game has so much potential. I like the visual style. It just seems again the designers can’t actually see what is possible with their own creation and what will take the game from ho hum to fantastic.

I wish I had the talent to code, because if I had the ability to develop a game like this I know my gameplay design would be different. I can see lots of different ways to make the game shine.

I wonder if by doing a Kickstarter the indie developer is suddenly under pressure to deliver the game right on the deadline, as it’s not like telling your publisher we need more time to finish it off and get all the features in. Maybe developers will suddenly find, what they thought was a chance for creative freedom, suddenly becomes a mass mob demanding the game even though they feel it needs another six months or so to truly become the game they originally conceived and wanted to make. Thus the game never really delivers and seems like a missed opportunity as features are cut and gameplay mechanics abandoned just to get it out.

It’s something I find myself saying alot about games recently “it has potential”…

• MortalWombat says:

I wish I had the talent to code

It’s not a talent, it’s a skill you have to practice and invest in… so go and get crackin’.

23. Aankhen says:

STAR COMMAND: THE REVOLUTION BEGINS

This isn’t a remake of that game? Awww. :-( It’s one of the best games I’ve ever played. And probably one of the first four or five games I’ve ever played. So much nostalgia… I can still see that mothership, opening its maw to send out tiny little thingies to harvest resources…