Lore And Behold: Neverwinter Helm’s Hold Trailer

By Craig Pearson on October 17th, 2012 at 8:00 am.

No good ever comes from having a creaky old lady narrator. Take Helm’s Hold, a healing monastery in Cryptic’s upcoming Neverwinter MMO. Its original purpose is to wipe magical curses from the afflicted. A noble place. A safe place. Then the portentous, wobbly narrator starts to speak and you know she’s basically invoking trouble. Fiendish cultists have taken over, and now all the people are suffering with itchy magic skin. The recording studio was probably built on an ancient shark burial ground, and her script was likely scrawled on the back of the pattern of the Turin Shroud. Do everyone a favour: take a lozenge and check for bones sticking out the ground whenever you’re at a recording session. Neverwinter was such a nice place before you came along.

As with the previous video, there’s a bit of exposition and then some metal-infused action.

We know what it looks like, but we won’t know how good it is until next year.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Nim says:

Sounds like a copy-paste of NWN Chapter 1 ending. That time it was plague-spreading monks with zombies.

2. phelix says:

Er, a Neverwinter MMO? It’s never too late to destroy an IP, it seems.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I don’t know if they ever could destroy Neverwinter, given all that they’ve done to it/done within the setting.
      Neverwinter never dies.

• Carbonated Dan says:

On the [totally unrelated but I need to get it out there] subject of destroying an IP, valve appear to be silently moving CSGO into a pay2win space

this morning I logged on to play a quick game and instead spent my 20 minutes jumping around half a dozen supposedly ‘Classic Casual’ servers, all of which were running 20v20 bo100 matches wherein only those who paid for a ‘premium account’ could buy or pick up the AWP or autosnipe

I haven’t looked too hard, but I can’t see any announcements about the rule changes or the new monetisation scheme

• paddymaxson says:

That sounds like it might be a rule set up by the server admins, which is a bit shitty. There have and always will be people who pay for server hosting and then are rotten bastards. BF3 is especially bad, I played on a server with “no RPGs”….then an admin either spawned a tank or it was one of those maps that has one tank on that everyone is to fight over (Not sure, it was a map I’d never played before).

What the hell is a “Premium account” though? I’ve not gotten CS Go yet but I wasn’t aware of a premium system.

3. Xardas Kane says:

Is it wrong to say I want this game to go away?

• paddymaxson says:

A little.

While it looks a bit janky and f2p MMO-y, I really like the look of the foundry and am hoping that some good can come of it.

Let’s all bear in mind that NWN was actually atrocious to play. The magic of D&D and creating your own adventure was the good bit.

The game was quite ugly, lacked visual customisation and suffered from single player lag. It also had really bad voice acting where it was voice acted. Some battles in the campaign and expansion campaigns were nearly impossible if you built your character “wrong”.

But you were playing D&D 3rd ed! In Neverwinter, or wherever your friends or some guy on the internet put you! It was amazing!

Maybe, just maybe a slightly dumbed down 4th edition can be good with the magic of good player content.

• Xardas Kane says:

Actually I consider NWN to be the by far worst game BioWare have ever made, Dragon Age 2 and all, so I’m definitely not a fan. But this seems like such a pathetic cash-in on a well established licence without any consideration for its identity or what it stands for. It almost literally spits in the face of anyone who is even remotely acquainted with The Forgotten Realms with its action combat system and light RPG elements, while alienating the casual players by looking like the epitome of MUD-like MMOs with maybe a slightly cleaner interface.

In other words, it just might be me, but I think this game is destined to be a flop. Then again, Cryptic haven’t struck gold since City of Heroes, so it’s not like it’s a surprise.

• lorddon says:

Did you ever play the game in proper tabletop manner, with a DM running NPC’s and monsters? It was the closest a PC Game has come to the tabletop experience.

• Xardas Kane says:

Actually I think Daggerfall takes that prize, but in any case, if I want the tabletop experience, I PLAY DND WITH FRIENDS, simple as that. It’s true that NWN had a fantastic modding community, but that doesn’t excuse the pathetic campaign the game shipped with.

• paddymaxson says:

As a story and a set of gameplay systems, you’re quite correct, NWN was the worst game Bioware ever made (though Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes o the Underdark were pretty good stories) it was super clunky.

But as a creative system and a community, NWN was probably one of the best games ever made by anyone it was a tour de force that kept tens of thousands of people creating and playing for over 10 years. We’ll never see a true NWN style experience again I don’t think. It’s not lucrative for companies to allow players to make professional quality stuff easily (why would you when DLC can be charged for?!) I would kind of have loved to see Obsidian make Project Eternity not an isometric and have a toolset for it.

So for those of us that miss Neverwinter and creating our own adventures, Cryptic has a chance to deliver big time. Do I expect them to? Hell no, but from what I’ve seen of the “foundry” I am cautiously optimistic.

• Xardas Kane says:

I most seriously doubt Cryptic is even trying to deliver that.

4. Gorillion says:

What information is available makes me quite worried. A lot (though not all) of us D&D fans aren’t drawn in for the stories, we’re drawn in for character development and mechanics. Everything I’ve seen makes me suspect this will be like Daggerdale all over again: Items and character development vaguely reminiscent of a generic D&D system, watered down, missing the d20 base entirely, and failing to pull in D&D fans OR people otherwise turned off by “generic” fantasy.

• Yosharian says:

Yeah exactly, when is a D&D game not a D&D game – when it has no D&D systems in it.

At least DDO was more or less based on D&D rules.

5. BathroomCitizen says:

Oh Neverwinter, I loved thee.

What happened to you?

6. TwwIX says:

After the disappointments that were Champions and Star Trek Online?

Thanks but no thanks, Cryptic.

Comment on this story