Vault A Lot of Borderland 2 Trailers

By Craig Pearson on October 17th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

That’s what it would sound like if Dracula was a fan of Borderlands 2. Imagine that. He wouldn’t be able to say the word ‘Vault’ without everyone imagining he’s actually attempting to say ‘what’. But then ‘Vault’ doesn’t make much sense in that context. That is the tragedy of Dracula. I am not tragic in the slightest, so when I do it is actually a pun. What it means is this post has more than one Borderlands 2 trailer. In fact it has two: one showing off the new campaign being released today, and the other finally explaining what the new class, Gaige The Mechromancer, is capable of. She was released last week, a week before her set release date, and I imagine the video people doggedly finished her trailer as a a form of protest.

So, the first chunk of story DLC is the hunt for pirate treasure, Captain Scarlett and her Pirate’s Booty. A desert, a pirate queen, and a worm of ridiculous size and strength all stand in your way. It all looks like it fits in with the tone of the Pandora, but not the chilly world, so Oasis is visited via the fast-travel stations. You can go there whenever you want, but the enemies start at level 30. Perfect for DLC. I’m betting the amazing loot is some sort of gun.

Gaige is the newest vault hunter. She has powers that enhances electrical crits, with additional fiery bonuses. Or you could go down a different skill route, adding a perk called Close Enough that means every missed shot has the potential to ricochet back at the target. It can be balanced out with the Anarchy that exponentially increases your damage but decreases your accuracy. If that wasn’t enough, she can mechromance up a floating murderbot, Deathtrap. The remixed Claptrap can punch and laser everything in his sight.

Both downloadables are out now. I’m not sure Gaige is worth the £8 asking price, but Captain Scarlett looks like it has a pile of fun for the same money.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Gap Gen says:

Fun fact: Borderlands is just Fallout played backwards.

• OrangyTang says:

So you begin by deactivating a weather control experiment before regressing to a child and then a baby, then Liam Neeson forcibly inserts you into his wife’s womb?

Borderlands is weirder than I gave it credit.

2. yurusei says:

Man, even watching the trailers made me tired in the inside.

• Suits says:

Don’t worry you can skip in-game cutscenes ;)

• Teovald says:

Yeah, I don’t even want to watch the trailer.
      I tried the dlc last night, after an hour I was so bored I just exited and returned to Dishonored. The writing is awful in my opinion.

• SketchyGalore says:

I think asking for writing in Borderlands 2 to be on par with Dishonored is a bit like ordering filet mignon at McDonald’s.

• Burning Man says:

I haven’t tried Dishonored yet, but you’d be surprised at how good the writing for Borderlands 2 is. Can’t speak for the DLC though, only played a few missions.

3. Roz says:

No review on Captain Scarlett?

4. OrangyTang says:

This looks cool and all – but does anyone else get the impression that Gaige is going to be vastly overpowered compared to the starting 4 characters? That hovering robot looks a lot more powerful than any of the other character’s specials.

On the other hand, I’m only at level 10 so far, so maybe this is an unfair comparison.

• Suits says:

If you are going the BFF tree, certainly

• Morph says:

Been playing her for a bit and she does feel pretty powerful. Does it really matter though? In co-op games you all share exp anyway so it doesn’t really matter who kills the most.

• Underwhelmed says:

It depends how you build her. The BFF tree is designed for first time, or non-FPS gamers, but the rest of the tree is actually fairly well balanced. The previously mentioned Anarchy tree ups your damage but kills your accuracy, and if you don’t have the “misses can still hit” ability from the BFF tree it actually becomes a bit of a choice as to how much accuracy you want to give up for the damage. Furthermore, using that tree you aren’t allowed to reload manually or it empties your entire buff, so using slow reloading guns can leave you more vulnerable. At a certain point, your bullets might be doing over 200% damage, but only a quarter of them are hitting their targets.

All of the characters are pretty over powered by the end game, that is sort of the whole point, I haven’t found Gaige to be significantly more ridiculous to be honest.

Now an experienced gamer exploiting the kid-gloves tree, that will be pretty overpowered, and knowing gamers there will be plenty of people complaining about it because why should anyone have to exhibit self-control and not take the easy tree, and “why should other people be allowed to do more damage than me?” is a way of life for some people.

• db1331 says:

I started a game with Gaige yesterday morning. At level 5, my newly unlocked Deathtrap soloed the “Midgemong” boss in about 3 seconds. Yes, she is OP. I wouldn’t use her for your first time through the game, but she’s fun to mess around with. I’ve gotten a few chuckles out of her, like when she said “GG” after I blew off someone’s head.

• Faxmachinen says:

You clearly have not put the turret to good use.

• Burning Man says:

The Deathtrap is pretty buggy, but yes, if you know how to use Anarchy, Gaige is the most powerful character in the game. Certainly in not as straightforward a manner as you depicted it though.

5. Cytrom says:

Major Spoiler:
    There is no vault in the end… again.

• Grey Ganado says:

I never considered things that are revealed at the beginning of a story to be spoilable.

• athion says:

umm wrong…. they both had vaults… game ones vault contained a monster instead of treasure and game two’s contained the warrior… game one basically was a white lie in that the vault was true but the contents false while game twos was completely true (maybe a rather rubbish warrior but otherwise true.)

• Nick says:

Uh, there was a vault at the end of the first one..

• mondomau says:

‘Uh’ and ‘umm’, you both sound a bit silly.Of course there was a Vault at the end of the first one, it just wasn’t filled with loot as promised. Same for the second, apparently (I knew that, but you’re still bumholes for spoiling it).

6. lurkalisk says:

Gaige is alot of fun. That is, relative to the somewhat more straight-forward classes (everyone else). Dealing with anarchy alone makes the class more interesting than the others.
    Granted, that’s not a huge accomplishment. Before the mechromancer your options were basically:
    1. Shoot people, but a little more than usual.
    2. Shoot people, but also with a turret.
    3. Shoot people, or maybe hit people.
    4. Weird magic lady that might actually interest someone (Siren, in case that wasn’t obvious).

With that in mind, the mechromancer is easily my class of choice.

7. The Random One says:

So Gaige it turns out is a horrible person. She’s essentially a CoD bro on seven different kinds of meth.

• caddyB says:

Everyone on Pandora is a horrible person.

• db1331 says:

Don’t you talk about Tiny Tina like that!

• The Random One says:

Yeah, but she appears to be a specific kind of horrible person that other real world horrible people would find awesome (such as people who overuse the word “awesome”). That’s not a problem with Pandora, it’s a problem with *puts on shades* Pander-a.

8. Wounder says:

I’m playing the Scarlett DLC with a level 19 mechomancer and all the critters are… level 19 and 20. I don’t know how low it goes, but definitely less than 30.

• Easydog says:

Having tried with a level one character I can assure you that it goes as low as level fourteen. Don’t try it with a level one by the way.

9. beeboy says:

Scarlett’s accent is bad. The trailer gives a wee glimpse, but once you actually play the game for a few hours, it really stinks.
    The DLC is great, but the accent is hilariously bad at points. Dick Van Dyke eat your heart out.

10. Cytrom says:

I liked all of BL1′s dlcs (mainly because they were all so different both from each other and th main game yet fitting), but i just dont feel like jumping into this one… all that dull brown sand that takes up 90% of of the footage I’ve seen of this dlc isn’t very welcoming or different enough.