Where Am I? – Black Ops 2’s Launch Trailer

By Nathan Grayson on October 17th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Phew. Well, at least Call of Duty's the same as it's always been.

I just got off a plane, which purportedly took me back to San Francisco. However, as a free bonus, it apparently also catapulted me forward in time by a whole month! That’s the only explanation I can come up with for why there’s already a Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 launch trailer. Or maybe – just maybe – Activision saw fit to roll out the red carpet for the mannest of manshoots a month early. But no, that’s just crazy. Time travel is the only plausible call here. Definitely.

Observations: AC/DC’s “Back in Black” is, of course, prominently featured. I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner. Or did it? If so, is this one back in Back in Black? My head hurts. Also, I’m glad to see that we’ll start keeping spiders in suitcases in the future. I’m tired of having their ghastly spindle legs all up in my business figuratively, so it’ll be refreshing to have them all up in other people’s business literally. And finally, squirrel suit.

In seriousness, though, if you were worried Call of Duty might suddenly abandon its rootin’ tootin’ ways for anything else, well, why would you worry about that? Thanks to more open, slightly strategic Strikeforce missions and a few other ambitious (for Call of Duty) additions, BLOPS 2 stands stir up the formula – but only just enough. It’s still Call of Duty to the core. If that’s your thing, go rejoice in whatever manner is your custom. If not, well, as RPS’ One Month In The Future Correspondent, I can tell you that we haven’t suddenly gotten rid of all the other games with guns in them. So I think you’re going to be OK.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Kollega says:

The future worries me. If it has so many new shiny military toys, i don’t think it bodes well for other areas of the involved countries’ budgets. Things like roads, healthcare, education, or Lombax cloning programmes.

2. Akatsuki says:

HORSEFACE

• Dowr says:

For god sake.

lhzr says:

DOURFACE !

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

It is getting a bit much for me, too. It’s never been a great meme as far as memes go, but I think its run its course now. But that’s just me I suppose.

Also, aww.. poor horsey!

• S Jay says:

MEMEFACE?

• x1501 says:

What we have here is a moronic joke gone so awry that I have no doubt whatsoever that even its die-hard posters no longer find it witty, funny, or in any way meaningful. The only reason it still keeps popping up on every page is because now it’s just another form of spam—like “First!”, “Second!”, “+1″, and so on—used specifically by the type of people who don’t really have anything to say but still feel an overpowering urge to say something.

In short: no, it’s not just you.

• PatrickSwayze says:

BLACKFACE

3. Eggy says:

It looks so dated (gameplay & graphics). Sadly plenty of people will shell out 60 bucks for the COD yearly rehash though.

• Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

The first BLOPS was a complete number two! Is this one DLC?

• Dana says:

>dated gameplay

I’m sorry, but what ? The fuck ?

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

No you see, it’s a game that unwashed plebes play, so obviously it can’t be good. Now let me go back to my pony dissertation

4. Moni says:

I’m reminded that the HALO jump in Battlefield 3’s campaign was pretty cool.

Shit, that review quote just blew up that plane. Is that some kind of metaphor?

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

Give this game good reviews or we wont blow up your plane? An interesting intimidation tactic I must say.

Gap Gen says:

There was an ArmA mission with a HALO drop that was awesome. It was also terrifying because it was coded such that you were hidden, up until the point that you interacted in any way with the enemy at which point everyone on the island knew where you were at all times. We successfully walled ourselves into an island by blowing a bridge with T72s crossing it, until we discovered BMPs could float.

But yeah, this is a good trailer. Also, worth noting that I have bought every CoD game to have released a PC demo, and none that did not. Just a thought.

• sockpuppetclock says:

I can’t stop laughing at the plane just immediately exploding after it remotely touches the quote

• tungstenHead says:

I’m surprised the dude BASE jumping didn’t clip his head on that other quote. It looked like he got pretty darn close. He’s lucky to be alive! For an unimaginable number of reasons, actually.

5. Calabi says:

I’m betting its going to be the best comedy ever.

6. Ansob says:

It’s worth remembering that Treyarch have stated there will be no renting out dedicated servers at all, in case anyone thought that this one would have proper dedicated servers again.

7. ReV_VAdAUL says:

I’ll be honest, I haven’t played a Call of Duty game since 4, which I very much enjoyed. Yet this trailer makes me feel like an old grandpa struggling to comprehend why the kids like all the noise and flashing lights. I’m not saying people who like this are immature or anything, just that the trailer makes me feel old.

• Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

You and me both sunshine, just yesterday I was reminiscing on the passing of Mike Singleton and now we have kids indoctrinated by the military/industrial complex to believe that it’s ‘cool’ to punch prisoners in the face when they’re handcuffed to a chair. I’m not known for my tinfoil-hat wearing but it’s obvious that the blops series is nothing more than a military recruitment/desensitising tool. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re getting tax breaks along with the insider information they’re so proud of.

• lijenstina says:

News are perfectly fine in doing that. Whole nations get dehumanized by using the old propaganda trick of picking the worse amongst them and then through the logical fallacy of incomplete induction saying that all of them are like that. Then everything is allowed against “monsters”.

• Mattressi says:

When I first heard that BLOPS2 was going to have an Assange-like antagonist, I thought they might be trying to make it like Deus Ex (the bad guys turn out to be the good guys). But, no, from what I’ve seen, it’s just more “government is always good” propaganda. Who needs freedom anyway?

8. Pop says:

Rated M for mature?! Which part of that was mature?

• Grey Ganado says:

The murder and manslaughter.

• zeroskill says:

Fourteen year olds really like the rated M for mature tag. Activision knows their marketing.

maninahat says:

Works for anime too. Stick lots of tits and blood in it and teenagers will insist it’s really for grown ups.

• mondomau says:

As will grown-ups.

• YourMessageHere says:

Certainly works for films, comics, books and plays as well as games, so it follows that it works for anime too.

9. John Brindle says:

It’s not just the time travel that worries me – this game appears to exist in a pocket of spacetime hitherto unknown to man (11th of the 13th month…?)

• razgon says:

American date is set up differently than english.

mm/dd/yyyy

• Kits says:

Lies. That can’t be possible. Surely such a thing is too daft and illogical even for americans.

• RoAE says:

In Japan and China they use YYYY/MM/DD

We use MM/DD/YYYY, because its similar to how you actually say it, “October 17th, 2012″

• Obeith says:

Not how i’d say it:

Today is 17th of october 2012

• RoAE says:

Now your just pulling ‘declaring the day’ out of your ass for the sake of argument. “Month Day, Year” is how you declare the date. Its just one of those things that modern linguist consider to both be correct. Seriously were arguing for the ego of men who have long since died. Its a difference in style, American’s choose to prefer the Germanic ancestry of the language over the Latin, 200 years ago. GET OVER IT!

• LukeNukem says:

Gregorian little-endian, starting with day (Day-Month-Year)

This sequence is common to the vast majority of the world’s countries. This date format originates from the custom of writing the date as ‘the 8th day of November in the year of our Lord 2003′ in western religious and legal documents, which at one time were the majority of documents created. The format has shortened over time but the order of the elements has remained constant.

“8 November 2003″ or “8. November 2003″ (the latter is common in German-speaking regions)
            8/11/2003 or 08.11.2003 or 8-11-2003 (not common in the U.S.)
            08-Nov-2003
            08Nov03 – Used, even in the U.S., where space needs to be saved by skipping punctuation.
            [The] 8th [of] November 2003 (The ‘of’ and ‘the’ may be included in speech; they are omitted in all but the most formal writing.)
            Sunday, 8 November 2003
            8/xi/03, 8.xi.03, 8-xi.03, or 8.XI.2003 (using the Roman numeral for the month) – This is usually confined to handwriting only and is not put into any form of print. It is associated with a number of schools and universities. It has also been used by the Vatican as an alternative to using months named after Roman deities. It is used on Canadian postmarks as a bilingual form of the month.
            8 November AD 2003

• mondomau says:

I think you’re missing the point, Americans say and write the date MMDDYY, no one else does. So it’s correct in the (batshit illogical) context of American date use only.

• Jehuty says:

What’s that? People of a different culture do something differently? What dimwits.

• Prokroustis says:

Or the rest of the world for that matter.

10. Calneon says:

“New level of competitive gaming”

Really?

Does CoD have a competitive scene?

• Daniel Klein says:

Sure, CoD 4 still has a pretty vibrant scene. Never really moved on to another CoD. They’re probably hoping to change that.

• Miltrivd says:

I remember seeing a tourny on Twitch a month or so ago, it was the XBox 360 version tho, but it seems to me they want to get into this eSports business and they may be pushing it that way. It certainly seems to be that way with the changes in BLOPS2. Doesn’t seem to be enough imo, but you never know, if there are viewers and money in it, it will be a thing for sure.

11. CaLe says:

Is that Michael Bay blushing in the corner? I think it might be.

12. Daniel Klein says:

WINGSUITFACE

13. Hazzard65 says:

Best movie evar.

• Grargh says:

“I had a colonoscopy once, and they let me watch it on TV. It was more entertaining.”
      Roger Ebert

14. MistyMike says:

Party rock anthem in the background, footage of people being shredded with machine gun fire and blown up in explosives in the video. It just doesn’t get more stupid.

15. sophof says:

Somehow every time I am assuming that this one is definitely going to bomb and finally end this endless cycle. I have to be correct sometime, right?

I guess I just have increasing problems placing myself in the shoes of someone who gets excited by this. Based on the gazillion copies they sell every time, that then makes me feel old :P

• Cytrom says:

I predict approximately 15 trillion sales on the first day. Its gonna be the most successful release of the whole entertainment industry of all time… until cod 10 or 11 or whichever number is the next comes along making 100 trillion in the first 6 hours (it will be also released for iphones and ipads as a direct port without having to optimise a bit).

• Desmolas says:

Its probably how the universe is going to end IMHO. Each year, a new CoD comes out and somehow sells more copies than the last. In the end, all matter in the universe will be copies of CoD.

• hemmingjay says:

I hope for the same thing as you but I believe despite a bunch of grumbling criticism on what will surely be a dated rehash of all other CoD games, the title will still sell well. The FPS audience are addicts for the narrative experience and new achievements and ranks in MP. They have officially milked this engine dry.
      On the other hand, MoH: Warfighter is technologically way ahead and is trying new things but has to overcome the popular critique on it’s last game.

16. roryok says:

Launch trailers before launch? Why the hell not? Games can win 30 awards at the E3 and be discounted on Amazon before they’re launched.

17. kikito says:

First Screenshot -> Gangnam Style.

18. ALPHATT says:

Let the cod hating circlejerk begin.

• derbefrier says:

would you expect any less? mindless egotistical bullshit is a staple of the pc gaming community!

• Prokroustis says:

Having no interest in the next instalment of a franchise long gone stale is mindless egoistical bullshit?

• JackShandy says:

No, but posting a comment just to say you have no interest in it seems like a grey area.

Edit: That might be read harshly. I meant only that complaining about games that you do not intend to play is tiresome. I don’t believe COD has such an influence that your life will be negatively impacted if you do not choose to engage with it.

• sophof says:

Such a hugely popular game has so many impacts on gaming on a whole that I would not know here to begin explaining them :P
            I’d go out on a limb and say that is what bothers people, at least a little. For instance, I do not like the definite CoD-like direction the battlefield series has taken and many a big release is hampered by tacked on multiplayer that is essentially just a hope to get some of this ‘cod money’. The god awful remake of syndicate would not exist without CoD and many PC shooters would not absorb strange console-related decisions like the lack of dedicated servers.

Just like movies, games do not live in a vacuum and are often impact by what is in fashion. That is bad news if you don’t happen to like the current fashion or have simply gotten bored with it. Many of your other interests will be made with a smaller budget as a result.

So complaining might be off-topic, but I would hardly call it strange or illogical.

• Zael says:

Having no interest in a game is fine. Commenting on how people need to be stupid/less intelligent to play said game isn’t.

• lijenstina says:

Incomplete induction (hasty generalization) logical fallacy.

Using that you can “prove” anything.

Let’s make an example.

You came across a spam bot selling something in the RPS comments.
        Aha. All the messages in comments are spam bots. The comments are on the RPS site. That implies that RPS is a spam bot site.

RPS is a gaming site and a spam bot. Therefore all gaming sites are spam bots.

Gaming sites are on the Internet. Aha, the whole Internet is a spam bot.

The Internet is an important part of the world economy. That means that the whole world economy is based on spam bots.

Economy is an important part of human existence. Hm, that means that all humans are spam bots.

Humans live on Earth – that implies that Earth is a spam bot. Earth is a part of the Solar system – The Solar system is a spam bot.

The Solar system is the part of the Milky Way galaxy. -The Milky way Galaxy is a spam bot.

The Milky Way Galaxy is a part of the Universe. That means that the Universe is a spam bot.

19. S Jay says:

I really enjoyed Call of Duty 1. I think the 2nd one too, can’t remember.

20. VileJester says:

I haven’t played a COD game since COD4 but I do think this trailer is well done.

21. Enzo says:

This actually looks ok. Call of Duty is very, very slowly moving out of its comfort zone.

22. kwyjibo says:

I’m looking forward to Blops 2.

The original Black Ops was the best since the original Modern Warfare. Unlike the offensively fucking stupid Modern Warfare series, Black Ops knew from the outset it was a silly romp, you have a feeling that the tongue is planted firmly in cheek.

Not too sure about the future setting though. It never seems to work. Battlefield 2142, Frontlines: Fuel of War, no one remembers them do they?

• Enzo says:

Except Battlefield 2142 was one the best in the series.

• Moni says:

I was thinking it looks like Perfect Dark, where the guns are grounded in reality, but they have really outlandish extra features.

They go bang and make whatever you point at die, but they also have crazy x-ray vision or something.

23. wodin says:

Last CoD I played was No1…

24. YourMessageHere says:

I just don’t get this. All the longevity, all the community, all the e-sport stuff and nearly all the player focus for CoD is on the multiplayer. But the lion’s share of the marketing push, and most of the critical attention before and after launch, focuses 100% on the singleplayer. It gets analysed forwards and backwards as if that was the reason most people bought it, when I’d bet at least two thirds of buyers are primarily interested in the multiplayer. Why does this happen?

I played the campaigns for the last few CoDs a single time, mostly to understand the context of the multiplayer, and with the partial exception of Black Ops I thought they were utterly disposable, balllessly safe and immature – except in the sense of being full of unremitting murder, of course. Black Ops was at least inventive in its integration of the story with history, but it was still far from consistently being a good story well told, nor was it a fresh or exciting game experience for the most part. I find it incomprehensible that people would buy it for the singleplayer. Then again, people pay to watch Transformers movies by Michael Bay, so there must be a percentage.

liquidsoap89 says:

Because you don’t get cool ‘sposions in the multiplayer.

25. pepper says:

I think Call of Duty should be renamed to explosion simulator 2012. There is a explosion every 3 to 5 seconds in that trailer and even the 3D text causes the world to explode.

liquidsoap89 says:

Will Blops 2 actually work at it’s launch this time? Because it seems like everybody’s forgotten about the original’s launch, and that was a TRAVESTY!

I couldn’t play the game for about 2 weeks without it pausing for a split second every few seconds. Turns out it was for the best, but I still WANTED to play it initially…

• alilsneaky says:

I played black ops during the free steam weekend (so weeks before mw3 release?) and it was still like that on my AMD card (6870) unless I turned shadows to low.
      Mw2 never ran right on my hd4870 either…

Played mw3 during the free steam weekend and there AO and the shadows crapped all over performance on my amd card as well (6870 still).
      Different developer , I know, but I haven’t known of a cod game to perform even remotely well on the 48xx cards (and my 6870) since cod4.

liquidsoap89 says:

Yea I got WaW and MW2 on my PS3 because my computer sucked at the time. They were okay, but I wanted them on my PC.

Turns out I should have stayed on the PS3.

27. alilsneaky says:

Kudos for not using wubstep or inception horns.
    I didn’t pay attention but I don’t even think any helicopters were shot down with rocket launchers.

Bonus points for the guy who lined up the grappling hook with the music.

28. ghost55 says:

I actually thinks this looks like a lot of fun. Stupid, brainless, explode-y fun, but fun none the less. Unlike the rotting carcass of infinity ward that sits forever rotting on it’s laurels at mighty Activision, Treyarch actually tries to do something new with the series. At the very least, they have my attention now.

29. remoteman21333 says:

“Most ambitious Call of Duty ever” -Joystiq

Well that’s not saying much…