Aerofly FS Lands On Steam. Lands! Get it?!

By John Walker on October 18th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Gosh.

After the disappointing flop of Microsoft Flight, you may well be asking how you should be taking to the skies. Well, if you follow the advice of our Senior Flying Things correspondent, Tim Stone, you’ll know Aerofly FS is a good option. Tim wrote about it back in February, where he was gosh-darned surprised by how good it was. And now it’s out on Steam.

I’m not going to pretend to understand flight sims, and I’m even too tired today to make up plane types to annoy buffs. But I really do recommend you go read Tim’s piece linked above, as he discusses the various aspects with his flare.

Buying the game through publishers Ikarus is bloody confusing. I eventually reached their store page, and then couldn’t find Aerofly FS on it, instead discovering that I could buy Aerofly5 for £250. But that might be a model. Despite linking from the game’s page. Go to the international store page and there’s a link for Aerofly FS, but this takes you to another information page, that then links you back to the page where I started. Humph.

However, the version on Steam has no number, just Aerofly FS, and obviously comes with no controller at all. So overall, I’m plain (plane?) confused. It does seem that this is the one you should go for, unless you’ve some extraordinary insight into what on Earth Ikarus are doing. It’s currently £25, going up to £30 by the end of next week.

Obviously there’s no official trailer or in-game footage, because to provide that wouldn’t be massively obtuse. So instead here’s a fan-made video that gives you an idea:

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. MistyMike says:

Ha ha, he wrote ‘lands’ on a game about planes! That’s a funny joke!

2. mrmalodor says:

This is very uplifting news.

3. Zeewolf says:

JW: You were in the wrong category in the shop, those are model plane sims, while FS is simulating real planes.

The Steam edition is cheaper and comes with achievements, so that’s the version I’d go for.

(also you forgot the link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214130/ )

4. diebroken says:

That first image screams “Flight Unlimited!” XD

5. asshibbitty says:

Their website is like a Möbius strip where one side is the English shop and the other German, and I don’t think you can buy the digital version from them anyway. Glad I waited, it’s cheaper on Steam too.

6. xcession says:

I’ll remain only semi-interested till the 2d ground projection thing is addressed. Rendering towns and villages as a flattened image that only looks decent from >1000ft is just really odd, given the power of modern computers. Cities or buildings near airports tend to get 3d rendered these days, but as soon as you leave the arbitrary area in which the developer thinks caring about visuals is appropriate, everything just gets flattened.

I appreciate that I’m totally missing the point to focus on the look of the *ground* in a *flight* sim, but i feel it’s falling short of simulating the visuals of flying, even if it matches the behaviour perfectly. Laughing derisively at the blurry “buildings” you pass by at 200ft has a tendency to reduce your appreciation of the flight.

• Zenicetus says:

X-Plane 10 is getting there, and in some respects is there already. The lead developer always hated 2D orthophoto overlays. They made a big push into procedurally-generated 3D buildings in the move from version 9 to version 10, so you can now get a mix of customized (and more accurate) scenery around the major airports and big cities where people have developed that scenery by hand, and also procedural 3D generation on top of landclass textures in all the other areas. That’s over the entire world, which does currently involve some issues — like not enough regional variety (i.e. US-style houses in Europe and tropical countries). But it’s a start.

The other new thing in X-Plane 10 is support for importing Open Street Map data, which is very promising and people have already started doing neat things with it. Although as usual for state-of-the-art flight simming, you’ll need a beast of a computer and graphics card to see the full effect. Try the X-Plane demo and you can see what they’re aiming for. Here’s a sample with some highly-tweaked scenery:

• Mattressi says:

WOW! That is absolutely amazing! I’ve stuck with FSX until now, simply because the payware scenery has been better, but that just blows any FSX scenery out of the water (air?)! It looks so beautiful! I worry that I’d never have a rig which could run those mods smoothly, though. Still, if that’s what is to come of X-Plane, I’m abandoning the FSX ship. Seriously, I’m completely stunned by that video.
        The only fault I can find is simply that the colour of the greens in the scenery textures are the typical ‘satelite green’ – more of a light blue-green. But I could easily put up with that to have every building 3D and seemingly every tree 3D. And to have amazingly high-rez ground textures.

Also, it was really hard to not compose this post purely using upper case “wow”s, with exclamation marks randomly thrown in.

• MrLebanon says:

a flight sim that actually looks good graphically!? i may have to give this a go

• Zeewolf says:

Kind of interested in X-Plane. Please tell me they’ve made the earth round, though. The “flat” earth of earlier versions was a major turn-off.

• soldant says:

X-Plane 10′s scenery isn’t perfect though for the majority of the world. Cities consist predominately of low-set housing, even in downtown areas. The streets are great, I can fly over my neighbourhood and recognise it, and follow the highways into the airport or whatever. But flying over the city and the suburbs looks identical – there’s maybe a few tall buildings put around randomly, but otherwise it’s all housing. Also they’ve never had airport buildings by default except for a handful of sites. XP10′s method of scenery is the future, but without tailored packages like ORBX or the incorporation of other data to properly generate cities, it still looks fairly ridiculous.

7. bad guy says:

This game is perfect if you want to just hop in and have a quick round of relaxing flying.
    Uncomplicated, no procedures, just puristic, realistic flying.
    I didn’t know I liked gliders, they are my personal highlight in this game. Especially because of the featured wind, thermals and ridge-lift.

8. bad guy says:

My fav AeroflyFS vid is this1:

• Mattressi says:

That’s beautiful! I’m really considering getting this game, now – simply because of the great scenery. The main reason I keep playing flight simulators is for the scenery, so I guess I don’t mind too much that the controls/aircraft aren’t fully modelled.

9. SuperNashwanPower says:

There’s no demo.
    SHIRLEY YOU CAN’T BE SERIOUS?

10. tomek says:

Screenshot reminds me of the Flightsim Looking Glass did back in he day. Forgot the name but i quite enjoyed it.

11. kodx says:

You should try war thunder (http://warthunder.com/) it’s MMO with realistic flying model under the hood. For now it’s in closed beta. This game from creators of IL2-Shturmovik. This is example from youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsGzVZ-cn-Q
    There is a lot of videostream records on youtube, but mostly in Russian. Just give it a try!

12. G-Lord says:

Might have to get this eventually just to fly over the place where I used to live.

Comment on this story