Doom 3 BFG Throws Its Launch Trailer Into The Ocean

By John Walker on October 18th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Doom 3 BFG is out in Europe tomorrow. Pulling something of a Dishonored, Bethesda have once again chosen to put out its “launch trailer” in the gap between the US and EU release of the game. So, can you find the love for a game that lacked it all those eight years ago?

You know, I’m struggling to muster it. I just remember playing something that in no way represented Doom either aesthetically or spiritually, a dreary suspense shooter, somehow derivative of Dead Space, despite its coming out four years after Doom 3. But then, I also didn’t stick with it for long. Perhaps I should have. Perhaps I’ve missed out on an enjoyable FPS in a world that’s rather lacking in that category.

This version of the game has beefed up the graphics, improved sound and effects, added checkpoints (oh good), and sellotapes on the Resurrection Of Evil expansion pack. There’s also a new mission called The Lost Mission. Or as we like to call it, “The Mission That Didn’t Make The Cut Last Time”.

But let us not forget! It also allows you to use the torch at the same time as a weapon.

It’s worth noting that Bethesda didn’t bother to create a dedicated website for Doom 3 BFG. There’s the info page on their own site, and the “official site” is… a Facebook page. Hmmmm.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. jonfitt says:

Not sure what to say. I’ve played Doom 3, and I could have played the expansion pack if I’d so wished at any time in the last 7 years.
    It is not on the list of games I want a graphically tweaked re-release of.

• Rhuhuhuhu says:

This is also where it gets ironic.

In the 2012 Carmack Keynote, he told that Doom 3 has a lot of Rage code to make it work easier on the consoles. As a result, the game is incompatible with all existing mods. The upshot is that is has minor graphical tweaks.

Being part of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race, that’s all for nothing since the game it self is open source. The following mod does it for you: Perfected Doom 3 ( http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500 ). It combines multiple gameplay and graphics mods to improve the graphics (and gameplay) a lot, more then some Rage-snippets do.

If you want a graphical boost of an existing game, and it has to be Doom 3 for whatever reason, then buying the BFG edition is actually the worse option.

• Synesthesia says:

thanks!

• The_Great_Skratsby says:

Interestingly enough it’s worth mentioning the lighting system has changed with the engine translation, and with it Doom 3′s gloriously atmospheric shadows are gone.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

An already mediocre game with trace amounts of an outright terrible game? Consider me excited! The Giant Bomb quicklook is really selling it as well, describing the inferior lighting and textures, and a hastily thrown-together campaign. I dunno about you guys, but I can’t wait to see what that studio delivers next!

2. scorcher24 says:

Eurotrash = A person paying more for a videogame than US customers, but getting it 3 days later for no reason.

3. Dowson says:

Nothing to add really.

A game that was meh 8 years ago won’t be any different today.
    I’d be more interested if they remade Doom and Doom 2 in the engine, that might be worth seeing.

• Slinkyboy says:

I heard the original game is still much better with mods. I didnt buy Doom 3: Big Fucking Disappointment Edition.

• Randomer says:

I never played the original two games, but I really enjoyed the Doom novels that were (very loosely) based on them. Doom 3 was kind of a let down after reading those.

4. EPICTHEFAIL says:

You know, I would much prefer the first 2 games rereleased in a modern engine, rather than a game that tried to copy Half-Life 2 and failed so hard no one even remembered it until like 2 months ago. Considering the recent resurgence in fast-paced FPS on PC (Tribes, Hard Reset, Serious Sam 3…), and the power of sheer nostalgia, this would work a lot better than Beth deciding to ship the worst Doom game, 2 fossils that would run at a smooth framerate on my wristwatch, a 5-minute flashlight mod and a bit of cut content.

Edit: It would seem my failure to do the research led to a bit of a barbecue. Live and learn, I guess.

• scorcher24 says:

What? How did Doom 3 try to copy Half Life 2? Thats shenanigans

• Ricc says:

Doom 3 definitely is nothing like HL2. The expansion, Resurrection of Evil, on the other hand has a gravity gun, quite clearly copied from HL2.

edit: According to Wikipedia the gravity gun concept was planned for Doom 3 even before HL2 came out, so who knows…

• LintMan says:

The opening part of the game felt very Half-Life-esque for me. As I played those parts before the shooting started, I had actually said to myself “maybe this could be the next Half-Life”. Of course, then the shooting started, monsters started popping out of closets and appearing out of thin air when you picked up the heavy armour … and that was the end of any thoughts I had connecting it to HL.

• Cleave says:

That somewhat connected it to Doom though..? Once you get past the first few horror levels I thought it opened up into a really fun, intense action game.

• LintMan says:

I guess you can say monster closets and obvious traps like that are connections to the earlier Dooms, but they’re not ones I remember fondly. Just as graphics had advanced in the 10 years between Doom 2 and Doom 3, FPS gameplay had also advanced and evolved – we saw games like Deus Ex, Half Life, the NOLF series, and the Jedi Knight series. I had hoped that id would push the state of the art (or at least come close to it) not just for graphics but also gameplay and was pretty disappointed by the latter.

Now that doesn’t make Doom 3 a bad game – I thought it was OK and had fun – but it wasn’t going to steal HL’s crown as I had briefly hoped for. (And which happened 3 months later with HL2)

• GallonOfAlan says:

I can’t think of two FPS games more different than Doom 3 and HL2.

• Urthman says:

Star Trek: Elite Force and Far Cry 2? Deus Ex and Serious Sam? Wheel of Time and No One Lives Forever? Rainbow Six and Hexen? Team Fortress 2 and Daikatana? Mirror’s Edge and Chex Quest? S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Redneck Rampage? Kiss: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child and Call of Duty? Bulletstorm and Bioshock?

• empyrion says:

Er, well, I don’t know man, that doesn’t sound too convincing to me. You’d have to try harder. (Psst… not trolling at all).

• x1501 says:

There’s mods for Doom 3 that remake the original two games using Doom 3′s engine. For example:

• MistyMike says:

But the Doom 3 engine was an inefficient trainwreck. Why did the whole game take place in dark cramped spaces? Because that was all that could have been rendered at a time. Also the corpses disappearing in a puff of fairy dust after a few seconds. All those limitations for some high poly models and fancy lighting effects, like it was some big deal.

• x1501 says:

I’m not defending the game’s design or its engine. My only point here is that there are tons of free mods for original Doom III that fix a lot of these problems (from horrible lighting to disappearing corpses), and that none of these mods currently work with Doom 3 BFG.

• Guiscard says:

Doom 3 was released before Half-Life 2… you can’t copy something that comes after your work.

• Eukatheude says:

How is Tribes fast paced?

5. varangian says:

>So, can you find the love for a game that lacked it all those eight years ago?

6. GallonOfAlan says:

I remember lots of whining about it being too dark when THAT’S THE FUCKING POINT. I thought it was pretty good at the time, if over-reliant on pop-up scares, imps jumping out of cupboards and so on.

• Erinduck says:

It doesn’t matter if it was the point if it was poorly executed.

• max_1111 says:

Yes DOOM is supposed to be dark, but DOOM 3 pushed it way too far. Obnoxiously so.
      Instead of using the lighting to create any form of tension they just created tedium..

7. Derezzedjack says:

I would love to finally own Doom 1 & 2, but after hearing that they censored a few bonus levels in Doom 2 (from Wolfenstein) in every version I just don’t see me getting this. I’m already not too fond of the gameplay changes they did in comparison to the original Doom 3. Apperently the game also doesn’t feature the “same” gore levels.
    I think I rather stick to my normal Doom 3 version. id should just finally rerelease the old Doom games in Germany.

• scorcher24 says:

All they did was removing swastikas, due to law. You really can’t blame them for that. And Doom 1+2 are included in the BFG Edition.

• Derezzedjack says:

I could care less if only the german version included the changes, but every version (there’s only one) has these changes. That’s the whole reason I import games from the UK, because I don’t have to worry about censored stuff.
        But either Bethesda or id themselves censored the Doom 2 bonus levels beforehand and as I said apperently the gore is not as it was in the original Doom 3.

• jmtd says:

Apparently they’ve altered health pickups to remove the red cross symbol as well. Mind you neither alteration bothers me. I do have the originals stashed away if I cared enough. More interesting is this marks the first official PC release of the extra doom2 episode “no rest for the living” which debuted on xbox live, which was fantastic. I’m tempted to pick this up for PS3 rather than PC, and nearer Christmas when it’s bargain bucket.

8. x1501 says:

From what I understand, the minor graphical tweaks and ‘the new checkpoint save system” are largely only noticeable on the consoles. The PC version of BFG looks almost identical to the vanilla version. As for such technically advanced new features as persistent flashlights, we had mods that implemented them back in 2005. Considering that most D3 mods (co-op, superior graphics, better weapons, classic Doom on D3′s engine, etc) don’t even work with the BFG edition, there is absolutely no reason to buy this if you already own a copy of Doom III.

EDIT: Ha. The widely advertised “lighting improvements” consisted of changing a single ini variable from “1″ to “2″. See http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2972565

• Dervish says:

Even if this console command works exactly as described, it is illogical to say that just because you can change back to the original lighting by adjusting one number, that’s all the effort that was required to get the new lighting in the first place.

• x1501 says:

It’s not at all illogical, since you can also easily change the variable to this new “improved” value (all it does is makes all light sources a bit brighter) in the original game. You don’t need the BFG version to do it.

EDIT: http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html if you need it. The name of the variable is r_lightScale.

9. Dominic White says:

A much more exciting Doom trailer was released just a couple days ago.

Out on Halloween. All you need is Doom 1/2.

• tobecooper says:

Brutal Doom is the best thing since sliced bread.

• Cytrom says:

They basically turned doom into serious sam.. unlike the popular belief, doom wasn’t only about shooting monsters constantly. It actually had some pacing and thinking involved, and ironically that was one of the key points of critique for doom 3 too, (that and the linear repetitve levels i guess which is a legit complaint)

• mckertis says:

>>They basically turned doom into serious sam.

You have a typo there, you obviously wanted to write “Duke Nukem”.

• tobecooper says:

Doom proper works very well as a continuous single player campaign, because of its pacing and some intelligent level design. So, I completely agree with that. Brutal is certainly different – to me it works very well in short bloody bursts of fun. I wouldn’t agree that it’s mindless though. Running and gunning without rhyme or reason will get you killed very quickly – the mod is difficult as hell.

It just adds a lot of new things to normal Doom and makes it feel fresh again which I love. And I strongly doubt BFG will do anything similar for Doom3.

• Dominic White says:

Huh? I really think there’s a lot of misunderstanding surrounding Brutal Doom. While it does make some changes to the play balance, they’re really not massive. The main thing is that there’s no redundancy to weapons. The single shotgun isn’t eclipsed by the double, the rifle (pistol replacement) is still useful for picking off distant enemies, while the minigun (formerly chaingun) is great for up close murder, and while the plasma gun is still jack of all trades, it isn’t universally better than everything that came before.

Enemies are a little faster and hurt a bit more, but that’s because your guns are more effective all round, and they’ve made some concessions to balance by removing hitscan weapons from enemies. Zombies now fire very-fast-moving projectiles instead of instant health drains, and the spider mastermind has a cannon that can be evaded.

It’s still nothing like Serious Sam, which is largely a game about backpedalling with the mouse button jammed down.

Of course, Brutal Doom falls apart when you combine it with levels that are designed to push the classic balance to its absolute limits, but that can be said of any attempt to stack mods on any game. It’s hardly a mark against it.

10. Guiscard says:

You know, I liked Doom 3. It was decent if cliched, but nowhere near as bad as people keep saying it is. There, I said it. Feel free to chase me with your pitchforks and torches.

• Multidirectional says:

Doom 3 is a solid atmospheric shooter. It would’ve been bashed way less had it not been called “Doom”.

• SanguineAngel says:

I’m Sparticus… sorry, I mean I agree. I really enjoyed Doom 3 when it came it, I really can’t understand the rabid hate it received

• GallonOfAlan says:

Yeah – it was a very solid, visceral iD shooter. And plenty of tech demo thrown in. Just like Rage in fact. I think it suffered from Star Wars new trilogy syndrome a bit – people wanted the same amazement factor as when Doom first appeared all over again, and that was never going to happen.

• zephyn says:

“There, I said it. Feel free to chase me with your pitchforks and torches.”

I might be more inclined to do so if the game engine permitted me to use the pitchfork and the torch at the same time….

• Dys Does Dakka says:

Sign me on for the “rather liked Doom 3″-crowd.

-A friend of mine did a simple tweak to the game, increasing the damage of both monsters and weapons by several factors.
      He did add a bunch more details, like a faster firing chaingun (my idea!), corpse stay and brighter but narrower light cone from the flashlight -which was of course added to most weapons-, but that simple damage tweak improved the game by a LOT I found, playing it through from start to end to test the damage tweaks against all the encounters.
      The tweak pack was called Psychophage, iirc. Don’t know if anyone but me ever played it.

• Jason Moyer says:

I’ll go a step further and say I liked Doom 3 (wouldn’t say it was great, but enjoyed it) and that it, Rage, and the original Quake are the only 3 Id games worth a crap.

• jorygriffis says:

> [Doom 3], Rage, and the original Quake are the only 3 Id games worth a crap

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Someone’s asking for a pitchforkin’!

• Shooop says:

It was OK. But it didn’t really live up to the high expectations we all had for a Doom game.

The monster design is superb, no question about that. It does look pretty good even today. There was even a part where the floor of an area turned into a lava pit right in front of your eyes.

But little stupid things like walking 5 feet and having an imp materialize behind you really made it hard to enjoy it. And the dark rooms with monsters in them. What the hell iD.

• drewski says:

Maybe it’s because I didn’t really have any attachment to the Doom name, but I found Doom 3 a solid, enjoyable, and not infrequently chilling game. No System Shock 2 of course, but still enough to keep me going to the end.

• Lemming says:

Yeah got to agree here. It’s still leaps and bounds ahead of CoD, tbh.

• Caiman says:

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. While nothing revolutionary, it was a solid and atmospheric, with a few moment of sheer terror. I never had a problem with the flashlight / gun dilemma, those were the rules given to me and I played by them. Criticising a game for lacking realism (ie. no duct tape) when interdimensional demons are invading a martian base didn’t make much sense to me, but hey whatever. Time has moved on, and this retread seems rather pointless.

11. Multidirectional says:

It’s interesting how this “enhanced” edition comes with almost no graphics options and unskippable custcenes. I’m not even sure if graphics aren’t better in the original release, honestly.

• mckertis says:

They’re not. Its exactly the same game. The previous generation of consoles got a Doom3-lite, and this is the exact port of PC version on new consoles…and then it was ported back to PC…for some unimaginable reason…

12. PatrickSwayze says:

Played Doom 3 on launch many years back during a lightning storm that August.

Had to switch it off.

Highly atmospheric game, and that opener is right up there with the ride into Black Mesa, if not better.

13. chuckles73 says:

Isn’t this only coming out so what’s-his-face can push the new 3D stuff?

(googled: John Carmack, Oculus Rift)

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Pretty much, yeah. Still scratching my head over why he chose to demo it on Doom 3, as opposed to something that can do the VR justice (*cough* pretty much every other Bethesda game *cough*).

• thesmileman says:

He had to do an old game because the RIFT (and most VR) require a minimum 60fps or the delay makes you really really sick.

• chuckles73 says:

He knew the engine really well, having written it. Still…I wish they’d done this with Morrowind, while also bringing it to the Skyrim engine. *wistful*

14. quintesse says:

Not interested until I get my Oculus Rift and even then my only interest is so I have something to test the thing with. Played it the first time, was okay for the first hour or so, then I just got bored with it.

15. YogSo says:

I think the reason you feel like that is because a lot of the “narrative design” in Doom 3 was very derivative of System Shock 2… and of course I don’t need to point the System Shock “3″ roots in Dead Space.

In a somewhat related news, the latest version of The Dark Mod (v1.08) was launched yesterday. It still requires the original Doom 3, but the release notes mention there’s been a lot of work done already to decouple it from the game (something that was possible since the Doom 3 source code was made available a while ago), and the current version is a very important first step on the road to going standalone.

• ResonanceCascade says:

And thus the only reason to have Doom 3 installed begins to fade.

The Dark Mod is fantastic. Shame and a pox upon all those who don’t have it.

16. mrmalodor says:

“This version of the game has beefed up the graphics”

This is untrue. This version is graphically identical to vanilla Doom 3. And to top it off they disabled the ability to use mods with the BFG edition.

17. rockman29 says:

I love Doom 3, but I don’t think Doom 3 BFG is a good pack.

I think people would be happier getting the cheaper (I think) Doom 3 pack from Steam. I remember I got that for under 10 dollars for all the Doom games. Checking now, during the Steam sale I bought all the Doom games for 8.74 USD.

Apparently they took out all the Nazi symbols in the Doom 2 Wolfenstein level also, which is uncool.

The release of this game makes me sad, because I feel it hints that Doom 4 is farther away than I would like :(

A bit disappointed in this pack. It seems only worthx it for consoles, because on Xbox it’s the first time Doom 3 is in HD, and on PS3 it’s the first time any Doom game has been on the console.

18. lofaszjoska says:

Speaking of Things That Didn’t Make The Cut Last Time, wasn’t Doom 3 supposed to have a soudtrack and sound effects made by Trent Reznor?

19. bill says:

doom 3 wasn’t too bad really. and it did look amazing at the time. but i played far cry right after it and that was a far better game.

• mckertis says:

>>it did look amazing at the time.

>> i played far cry right after it and that was a far better game.

Despite me not liking Doom3, it is a better of the two, as FarCry starts very high, and the moment mutant monsters show up – it dips into the gutter and never raises its head again.

• jorygriffis says:

You’re absolutely right, but textures aren’t everything. The game was art directed really well, and I think that holds up even now.

(Agreed about the mutants in Far Cry, too. Very few games “jump the shark” in the way that one did!)

• Zyrusticae says:

>> Well…it was heavy on the shaders, but extremely light on actual content. Textures especially were atrociously low-res if you turned the shaders off.

This makes no sense to me. What matters is the end product, regardless of what tricks are used to get there. No game is somehow lessened by the heavy use of shaders. Every game nowadays uses them quite heavily to attain their desired look, and there’s no feasible way to make a game look physically correct without them outside of ray tracing (which is too expensive to be feasible on current hardware).

• SuperNashwanPower says:

That whole period was one of orgasmic gaming delight, before my battle weary game cynicism kicked in (just after Modern Warfare 1). I loved all games back then and must have played FC1 and D3 more times than any others.

20. Urthman says:

As far as I’m concerned, Serious Sam was the real Doom 3.

Erik: Okay, final question. Doom 3 looks like it’s going to have really amazing lighting. On its one monster at a time. Do you think developers will learn anything about Frantic Action Feeling from Serious Sam?

Roman: No, I don’t think so. They are even telling that AI will improve! I have a suggestion. Why don’t we have one enemy per level? Why bother putting thousands of enemies on a level, finding right spots for spawning enemies, waiting for the right moments to activate enemies. You just drop one enemy in the middle of a map and you are finished with it. That would be an epic fight with one really clever enemy, with you docking, jumping and hidding for hours fighting that superbot. Imagine the mutiple possibilities. You can jump left, right, backward or forward, hide behind doors, pick the best weapon, fire one bullet, fire another one. You can even have time to think what and how to do final kill. Possibilities are endless. Now, is that the Frantic Action Feeling or what?

– Erik Wolpaw and Croteam’s Roman Ribaric talking smack about Doom 3.

21. diebroken says:

I’m most looking forward to playing the DOOM II episode: No Rest for the Living that’s included with the DOOM 3 BFG edition… that and playing DOOM 3 in 3D.

22. Shooop says:

I would have considered this if only I hadn’t already bought the Doom pack from Steam. The first two Dooms are something everyone who likes shooters should have.

23. Radiant says:

Hi-res update with a 720p youtube trailer.

Dickheads.

• x1501 says:

In their defense, it’s not really a hi-res update. The PC version uses the same original textures and has no graphical enhancements whatsoever, and while the console versions might have had some minor texture improvements (who knows?), none of them render at resolutions higher than 720p anyway.

24. SuperNashwanPower says:

Once again I am the only person loving a certain game in question. I thought Doom 3 was awesome – and played it about 10 times, even on Nightmare mode.

Having said that, Doom 3 was part of my re-introduction to gaming. It was about 2003, and I had only recently got back into it. Was the first PC rig I had that could really run anything. I did HL1, HL2, Doom 3 and Far Cry in quick succession (or maybe HL2 a bit after, release dates depending) and loved them all. Then I needed a new graphics card before I could run STALKER SHOC. So I didnt play that for about a year and it sat all lonely on my shelf :)

25. jorygriffis says:

I really love the way the word “3D” sort of flickers and turns in space, in case we didn’t know what it meant.

26. Radiant says:

Also, having now watched that video, Doom 3 has an awful lot of walking backwards.
    Doom 1-2 I never walked backwards unless I had to avoid a slight bruising from my own rocket propelled bombs.

27. Wixard says:

Doom 3 scared the beejesus out of me. I recently played it again with the sikmod and found it graphically looked amazon. The lighting truly was top caliber.

I thought it was good fun, and it was also one of the last great corridor shooters, and I miss that genre.

Imagine the scenes you could run in a corridor with today’s hardware. yeesh. Uncanny valley for sure.

28. Beelzebud says:

So 30 dollars for a console port of Doom 3 that doesn’t have any mod support, and less graphics options than the original game?

Hmm. I think I’ll pass.

• Lemming says:

To be fair, I don’t think it was aimed at the PC crowd. This marks the first and only release of this game on the PS3, for example.

29. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

A torch? Is this re-release going to be medieval themed? ;]

As someone who never bothered with Doom 3, watching this trailer now leaves me pretty unimpressed. If they are trying to sell this to anyone who hasn’t already played/liked D3, I don’t think it’s going to work very well.

30. dee says:

I’m just going to whore myself out to the Dark Mod here because I only tried it recently and regret not playing it sooner:
    if(reader.likes(Thief.getGameplay() && Thief.getUniverse()) && reader.owns(Doom3)){
    reader.getHumanity().removeFreeWill();